Just walked out of Miami Vice

DJ K8E

Banned
First movie I've ever walked out of due to complete and utter lack of... any interest. I always wondered what it would be that would make me walk out, and here it is. I've seen movies that were worse, (Abandon, Once Upon A Time In Mexico, Jeepers Creepers 2, Cabin Fever, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc.) but at least they had something that made me continue to watch them, even if it was just the promise of someone dying every 10-15 minutes.

From what I saw, there was no chemistry between anyone, the camerwork was shaky and vomit-inducing. It seems like everyone's "acting program", so to speak, was on auto-pilot. I couldn't tell what the story was, I wasn't given a reason to care about any of it, there was no comedy, no action, no nothing. It was like a hollow movie. Basically, my cat has more personality than what I saw of this movie.

I'm of course speaking as someone who's never seen a lick of the show before, but I hardly think that matters.

So, if anyone else has seen it, feel free to talk about what you thought of it, or movies that you've walked out on.

[quote name='Strell']I walked out on the commercials for this.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It is a shame especially when Don Johnson doesn't even like it.

Edit: I am sorry you had to actually go see it DJ K8E.

Only movie I can remember walking out on was Battlefield: Earth. I tried watching it about a year later when I found it playing on HBO, thinking I was going to make myself watch the whole thing this time. I ended up changing the channel at almost the exact same spot I had walked out on. :p

Michael Mann doesn't make movies for the masses. No offense to any of the previous posters but his films tend to skew a little higher, intelligence-wise. I haven't seen Miami Vice yet but I definitely intend to. As far as Don Johnson goes, he's just bitter he's not in it. He'll be lucky to even do a Nash Bridges reunion.

I don't like Michael Mann's new obsession with those digital camcorders or whatever he's using. It was alright in Collateral but it just seems like a stupid choice for Miami Vice. I'll still see the movie even though I'm not expecting a whole lot. I LOVED LOVED LOVED Heat so I'm always hoping Michael Mann will live up to that level again although I don't see it happening.

i saw my super ex girlfriend last night........ it wasn't bad, it wasn't good... but i kinda felt like walking out and asking for my money back. I knew where the movie was going but i stayed for it,...makes you wonder what would happen if you had sex with your gf if she had super powers lol..

Thats too bad because I like Michael Mann's work in general. I do agree with one thing the OP said- 'Once upon a Time in Mexico' sucked donkey dick

[quote name='neocisco']Michael Mann doesn't make movies for the masses. No offense to any of the previous posters but his films tend to skew a little higher, intelligence-wise.[/quote]

While I haven't seen all his movies, the ones I've seen I've always enjoyed and appreciated, and I do believe there would have been a good movie here if he had got better actors, it just didn't happen here. Jamie Foxx was serviceable, but without having someone good to work off of, like in Collateral, he's just not capable of holding this movie down and neither is Colin Farrell at this stage in his career.

And anyone expecting Heat-like shootouts or Collateral-esque visuals is going to be disappointed. While the visuals worked for Collateral, Mann tried to reuse them here, and what works for LA, does not work for Miami. At least CSI: Miami gets it right, even if that's the only thing it gets right.

To clarify though, the showtime was 3:45 (didn't start till, I'm guessing 4) and I walked out at about 5:00, so I'd wager I saw about half of the movie. I was hoping it'd pick up the whole time, but it didn't. I sat there for a half hour thinking of walking out, laughing at Colin's hair, trying to wait for it to turn around, or to find a reason to sit it out. I just couldn't. Of course the manager wouldn't give me my money back because I'd watched, about an hour of it, so I ended up with nothing.

Here's a simple rule to adhere to when deciding to see a movie or not: If it has Colin Farrell, avoid at all costs.

[quote name='2Fast']Here's a simple rule that to adhere to when deciding to see a movie or not: If it has Colin Farrell, avoid at all costs.[/QUOTE]

The New World was pretty good, but otherwise, I agree.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The New World was pretty good, but otherwise, I agree.[/QUOTE]

I thought the New World was horrible. I rarely fall asleep watching a movie, but was out in 30 minutes watching this one.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The New World was pretty good, but otherwise, I agree.[/quote]
I actually didn't mind him in Minority Report now that I think about it. I guess that rule is better applied to -although not exclusive to- movies where he portrays the central character.

EDIT: Phone Booth was also decent at best.

[quote name='2Fast']Here's a simple rule that to adhere to when deciding to see a movie or not: If it has Colin Farrell, avoid at all costs.[/quote]

I've liked him in Phone Booth (wouldn't have worked without Sutherland though, because he made the movie), Daredevil (played an excellent over-the-top cheese bad guy), The Recruit (wouldn't have worked at all without Pacino) and Minority Report. Even if I barely remember him in Minority Report... :roll:

But basically, yeah, I plan on doing that now.

I still plan on seeing it since I loved Heat and Collateral, but after hearing these types of reactions my expectations have dropped a good bit. Maybe now I'll be surprised that it was better than I was expecting instead of worse.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I thought the New World was horrible. I rarely fall asleep watching a movie, but was out in 30 minutes watching this one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's slow as hell, but beautifully shot. Though I suppose that would have absolutely nothing to do with Farrell's involvement. :lol:

I'm fairly set on seeing this, actually. That's too bad that you didn't enjoy it, though.

I enjoy some of Mann's work (Heat, Collateral), so I'm gonna give it a go. It seems to be a vanity piece, with a pinch of grit.

I enjoy the Mann's film choice, in terms of what film he uses for what scenes, so I want to see it in that strange regard, as well. :lol:

(Also - and I'm not a huge horror nut, as most horror, as far as film and art, fucking sucks - but I, to my surprise, enjoyed Cabin Fever)

I guess then I'm the only one who liked SWAT. I like Colin, but I read the reviews. And they were bad enough to make me stay away. What, you didn't want to wait for the other 37 sex scenes?

[quote name='Brak']I'm fairly set on seeing this, actually. That's too bad that you didn't enjoy it, though.

I enjoy some of Mann's work (Heat, Collateral), so I'm gonna give it a go. It seems to be a vanity piece, with a pinch of grit.

I enjoy the Mann's film choice, in terms of what film he uses for what scenes, so I want to see it in that strange regard, as well. :lol:

(Also - and I'm not a huge horror nut, as most horror, as far as film and art, fucking sucks - but I, to my surprise, enjoyed Cabin Fever)[/QUOTE]

Cabin Fever is fucking awesome.

OMG, how can this movie be so damn boring? There is like no action in the first 2 hours of the movie, and people are right, there is no chemistry between Foxx and Farrell. I thought I would enjoy this movie like I did with Heat and Collateral, but instead I just wanted to sleep.

I would rather watch Bad Boys again than this stinker.

[quote name='ValkyrieVF-1S']OMG, how can this movie be so damn boring? There is like no action in the first 2 hours of the movie, and people are right, there is no chemistry between Foxx and Farrell. I thought I would enjoy this movie like I did with Heat and Collateral, but instead I just wanted to sleep.

I would rather watch Bad Boys again than this stinker.[/QUOTE]
A sad state the entertainment industry is in when a movie sucks because it doesn't have action.

Eh... oh, well.

But it's Miami Vice!!!!

It would have been different if the characters were interesting like in Heat and Collateral, but they were dull. Maybe I was just expecting too much since it was Mann film.

[quote name='2Fast']Here's a simple rule that to adhere to when deciding to see a movie or not: If it has Colin Farrell, avoid at all costs.[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote name='ValkyrieVF-1S']But it's Miami Vice!!!!

It would have been different if the characters were interesting like in Heat and Collateral, but they were dull. Maybe I was just expecting too much since it was Mann film.[/QUOTE]
The thing is, it's not Miami Vice. It's not the corny-ass '80s television show, that is. It's a readaptation of Miami Vice.

[quote name='KingDox']when you walked out did you ask for your money back ? A real CAG would.[/QUOTE]

Read the thread. He did, and the manager refused because he stayed for an hour.

[quote name='KingDox']when you walked out did you ask for your money back ? A real CAG would.[/quote]
I think she covered that. Then the manager thought "I hate to see you go, but i love to watch you leave":cool:

What's with all the Once Upon a Time in Mexico hate going on in this thread? That movie was no Desperado but it was still a pretty damn good movie. I can see why "DJ K8E" would hate it since it's not really a chick flick though Johnny Depp may have made her think otherwise going in to it, leaving her high and dry. But to see someone I (used to) have respect for - Xevious himself hate on it makes me want to cry. In fact I'm gonna go cry right now.

[quote name='Stuka']I don't like Michael Mann's new obsession with those digital camcorders or whatever he's using. It was alright in Collateral but it just seems like a stupid choice for Miami Vice. I'll still see the movie even though I'm not expecting a whole lot. I LOVED LOVED LOVED Heat so I'm always hoping Michael Mann will live up to that level again although I don't see it happening.[/quote]
:lol: The whole time I was watching out door actions I kept thinking, 'this looks like someone is just sitting on the hood of their car with a camcorder'. I guess that would explain why.

[quote name='sevdustflyer']What's with all the Once Upon a Time in Mexico hate going on in this thread? That movie was no Desperado but it was still a pretty damn good movie. I can see why "DJ K8E" would hate it since it's not really a chick flick though Johnny Depp may have made her think otherwise going in to it, leaving her high and dry. But to see someone I (used to) have respect for - Xevious himself hate on it makes me want to cry. In fact I'm gonna go cry right now.[/QUOTE]

Wow...this is a first. I have never made a man cry before with an internet post. Usually its a left hook or me sleeping with his wife. But not an internet post.

[quote name='Purple Flames']I actually thought Phonebooth was really good.[/QUOTE]
Agree'd. But besides that, Colin Farrell sucks big time

Oh, and whoever said the Recruit was good - die. That movie SUCKED. It was up its own ass with convoluted dialogue and failed attempts at trying to make the movie seem 'smart' or 'deep'.

Hnoestly, I'd really like to see it. I mean Michael Mann created the series, so it should be decent. After all, this is the same guy that directed Heat. De Niro and Pacino in the same movie at the same time, golden.

Wow, this movie was awful. If it doesn't have enough action to be an action movie than what is it? There is no good comedy, no drama, no tension, and the character's are paper thin.

It's just a robotic progression of pointless, boring scenes that don't add up to anything.

931653_20060712_screen002.jpg

Kayne West on the left?

BTW, I hope the standins for Colin/Jamie doing voiceovers on the PSP game are at least soundalikes, and not obviously not Martin Lawrence/Will Smith in the Bad Boys game. Ha ha, that VO work ranks as the worst ever, and not to play race at all, but it's so obvious the VO for them was a white guy.

[quote name='DJ K8E']While I haven't seen all his movies, the ones I've seen I've always enjoyed and appreciated, and I do believe there would have been a good movie here if he had got better actors, it just didn't happen here. Jamie Foxx was serviceable, but without having someone good to work off of, like in Collateral, he's just not capable of holding this movie down and neither is Colin Farrell at this stage in his career.

And anyone expecting Heat-like shootouts or Collateral-esque visuals is going to be disappointed. While the visuals worked for Collateral, Mann tried to reuse them here, and what works for LA, does not work for Miami. At least CSI: Miami gets it right, even if that's the only thing it gets right.

To clarify though, the showtime was 3:45 (didn't start till, I'm guessing 4) and I walked out at about 5:00, so I'd wager I saw about half of the movie. I was hoping it'd pick up the whole time, but it didn't. I sat there for a half hour thinking of walking out, laughing at Colin's hair, trying to wait for it to turn around, or to find a reason to sit it out. I just couldn't. Of course the manager wouldn't give me my money back because I'd watched, about an hour of it, so I ended up with nothing.[/QUOTE]

You didn't stay long enough to say that there aren't any Heat-like shootouts. There's one at the end that's just as good, if not better than Heat's shootout. Visuals are subjective but I liked them. Visually this movie seems like a cross between Heat and Collateral actually.

I think everyone seems to forget that Michael Mann doesn't really make pure action movies. He makes action dramas. However, the action sequences he does put in his movies always feel more realistic than your average action movie. Look at Heat, you've got action at the beginning, action in the middle (robbery/shootout), and a little action at the end. Collateral isn't really that much different. Think about it, most of the movie is the interaction between the characters with some action thrown in for spice. Heat is three hours long and there's hardly any action in the movie at all. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Heat but you don't watch Heat to see action. That having been said, Miami Vice is along those same lines and if you're going in expecting Bad Boys (like someone mentioned) then you'll be sorely mistaken. Is Miami Vice as good as Heat? Nah, but it is damn entertaining.

Like someone said earlier, Michael Mann doesn't make movies for the masses. He's most definetly not Jerry Bruckheimer.

"Let's get the shipment of drugs" *twenty minutes of loading drugs, shot of boat/plane/shot of dropping off drugs, shot of dancing/dry humping. Repeat for 2 1/2 hours*

Remember to add dialogue that goes nowhere, stiff acting, a total lack of ANY character development, a vanilla-as-fuck storyline about a generic Columbian drug cartel, a bunch of shots of people staring at things, a poor soundtrack, and a hilarioulsy cliched ending. Adaptation or no, the movie was ridiculous and poorly paced. I was literally in pain by the end , and that "awesome shootout" wasn't really that entertaining. If they didn't mean it to be an action film, you'd think they would've spent more time on the plot.

[quote name='2Fast']Here's a simple rule to adhere to when deciding to see a movie or not: If it has Colin Farrell or Jamie Foxx, avoid at all costs.[/quote]

Fixed that comment for ya ;)

And I havent walked out on a movie yet but I really really wanted to during Silent Hill. If it werent for the fact that I went with a big group of people or that I wasnt driving I definitely would've walked out. It was just a big convoluted mess that I'm sure was only decipherable to the ravenous Silent Hill fanboys (and unfortunately I havent played a single Silent Hill game yet).

But Maklershed!

Did you somehow NOT watch Ray?

It was THE pinacle of great acting!

I mean, my god! He acted like he was blind, BUT HE IS NOT BLIND. HOLY fuck. Never in the history of acting in the history of history and acting history has that shit EVER been pulled off! NO. We needed a low grade B rate comedian can do it, and goddammit, he redefined acting UP THE ASS with that performance.

How DARE you insult the greatness that is Jamie Foxx. His acting is known to cure cancer AND grow crops in Africa. In fact, they have great fields of TVs, with Ray playing nonstop, where the great super vegetables grow. It totally negates the need for suitable soil, rain, and fertilizer.

Especially fertilizer.

I still can't believe it. He put on those glasses, BAM he was blind. To add stumbling around and mumbling on top of that? Brilliant. Greatest actor ever. Greatest movie ever.

I hope they make a Ray 2, to satisfy my Foxxlust.

[quote name='Strell']But Maklershed!

Did you somehow NOT watch Ray?

It was THE pinacle of great acting!

I mean, my god! He acted like he was blind, BUT HE IS NOT BLIND. HOLY fuck. Never in the history of acting in the history of history and acting history has that shit EVER been pulled off! NO. We needed a low grade B rate comedian can do it, and goddammit, he redefined acting UP THE ASS with that performance.

How DARE you insult the greatness that is Jamie Foxx. His acting is known to cure cancer AND grow crops in Africa. In fact, they have great fields of TVs, with Ray playing nonstop, where the great super vegetables grow. It totally negates the need for suitable soil, rain, and fertilizer.

Especially fertilizer.

I still can't believe it. He put on those glasses, BAM he was blind. To add stumbling around and mumbling on top of that? Brilliant. Greatest actor ever. Greatest movie ever.

I hope they make a Ray 2, to satisfy my Foxxlust.[/QUOTE]

Or atleast bring back his show...now that was some good watchin'

B0006N2F04.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

[quote name='seanr1221']Or atleast bring back his show...now that was some good watchin'

B0006N2F04.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Oh sure, the first few seasons, and then it became a mess.

[quote name='Pookymeister']I think she covered that. Then the manager thought "I hate to see you go, but i love to watch you leave":cool:[/quote]
Yes she did cover that if she remembers correctly. She was very annoyed to not get her money back from such a crapfest, and then had to go home and when she attempted to play Guild Wars got beaten like a drum by these freaking Paragons and Dervishes in Random Arenas, but she digresses. :roll:

bread's done
Back