Scripting on MTV shows a tad too obvious now

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 jakescape53

jakescape53

We're taking this..BABBLE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:39 PM

I don't mind Pimp My Ride so much. It always cracks me up how they'll take a car, put 8 monitors in it, XBOX/PS2s in it, etc, and then expect them to park it in the street in a ghetto neighborhood.
If they had a spinoff show that showed how long each car lasted before being broken into, or stolen, that'd be a good show.

QFT
We're taking this Babble

#32 Fatesealer

Fatesealer

Game spoiling expert :-(

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:47 PM

I don't mind Pimp My Ride so much. It always cracks me up how they'll take a car, put 8 monitors in it, XBOX/PS2s in it, etc, and then expect them to park it in the street in a ghetto neighborhood.
If they had a spinoff show that showed how long each car lasted before being broken into, or stolen, that'd be a good show.

We think the Spinoff shoulda ctulally be Buy My Ride, seeing as a majority of the cars end up on Ebay. Wouldn't you be mad as all hell to fix up someone's car only to have them turn around and sell the bitch off? In a way I could understand why they'd do it (hello? potential chop shops, steal this car) but from a different standpoint, it makes no sense how someone could deal with a shitty car but a brand new one is unacceptable...
Posted Image

#33 Moxio

Moxio

Supervillain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:47 PM

MTV? What?

#34 Sporadic

Sporadic

done with this site

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:21 AM

I think the issue with MTV Reality shows are that before hand you were able to suspend believe just enough to go "ok that could be true".

Nowadays it's so ridiculous that you can help but roll your eyes and wonder why it slid so far downhill.

#35 Rei no Otaku

Rei no Otaku

Rei's love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:26 AM

WTF?

Best part was that they had commentators

"Bob has a Shivan Dragon in his hand. Will he play it? The match could end quickly if he does. Wait a minute, he's tapping his mountains... He played the Dragon!! This match is over folks!!!"

Rei_no_Otaku.png

#36 varsitygamer

varsitygamer

Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:30 AM

I was in California a week back, and on the way back to San Diego from LA, we were driving right through Laguna Beach. We took our time, because my girlfriend had watched the show so she wanted to see the area. Right as we got into the center of the town, we saw a film crew set up on our right. We pulled over into a parking lot and got out to see what was going on.

Sure enough, they were filming Laguna Beach III. It was a staff of maybe 6 people, and there were 2 cameras... BIG cameras... stationary ones. And a couple guys were holding those huge white panels they use to reflect natural light at their mark. Well they were filming a girl... she sort of looked half asian... getting out of her car. Over, and over, and over. It was like a 4 second shot of her getting out of her big black SUV. And they shot it like 3 times WHILE we stood there. We were asked to leave after that, because we were "distracting the talent."

oh well, i knew it was scripted... it was just cool to see.

oh here is that chick's pic:
Posted Image
Why Google when you can Blingo? - Won so far: 10$ iTunes GC x2, Movie Ticket x9, $5 Amazon Gift Certificate x2

Threadless.com - Nude No More!

#37 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:34 AM

Best part was that they had commentators

"Bob has a Shivan Dragon in his hand. Will he play it? The match could end quickly if he does. Wait a minute, he's tapping his mountains... He played the Dragon!! This match is over folks!!!"

"Wait, his opponent has a counterspell... DOWN GOES SHIVAN, DOWN GOES SHIVAN"

#38 Fatesealer

Fatesealer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:54 AM

I think the issue with MTV Reality shows are that before hand you were able to suspend believe just enough to go "ok that could be true".

Nowadays it's so ridiculous that you can help but roll your eyes and wonder why it slid so far downhill.

It's because a lot of the comments are so over the top, the suspension is gone the minute it goes on. Take for example Pimp My Ride. I'm sure the person is told in advance to be at home at a certain time, and make sure you get the door and no one else. Plus you must act super surprised when X gets there. Surely if they film you riding around in your crappy ass car, chances are you'll get it pimped. Shocking...
Posted Image

#39 Roufuss

Roufuss

is now a coupon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:22 AM

You know what I wanted, a show that shows you what happens after "Room Raiders" or "Date My Mom". Do these people even go on one date? Do they end up hating each other because they made a dating choice on a shallow premise?

I will never know.

At least Made is a semi decent show.

I called my lady friend last night and said my buddy had to beat off on my chest, she is kinda pissed at me, but it was the best idea I had all night, and I stand by it.

Posted Image

#40 LegendKiller2411

LegendKiller2411

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:28 AM

Remember when VH1 was about videos? Remember when Cartoon Network showed ONLY cartoons?

Yeah, but atleast VH1 actually has some good shows now instead of going the way of MTV (Hogan Knows Best, Celebrity Fit Club, and a few others). As for reality TV, there is no such thing. "Reality" is not reality, when it comes to TV.. especially when it comes to MTV.

#41 WinnieThePujols

WinnieThePujols

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:29 AM

The network blows.

TLR is a crappy show. They'll show like 30% of the song, and even that is interrupted with fans screaming "OMG I love u jenny from new york!!!!!!!!!111111111'

All the "reality" shows suck. Take Pimp my Ride, for instance. Notice how when Xzibit is walking up to their door they have multiple camera angles and what not? Credit the "constestant" for providing a fake reaction.

The dating shows are stupid, too. It's blatantly obvious that they are reading lines, because they've always got little one-liners they throw out there (like when they're getting interviewed alone).

I don't know how so many college friends of mine can be so infatuated with the network. To each their own, I guess.
Posted Image

#42 LegendKiller2411

LegendKiller2411

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:35 AM

and when Sci-Fi wasn't showing Wrestling, TLC (formally "The Learning Channel") wasn't nothing but decorating shows, ect...

and let's not forget the whole TechTV/G4 fiasco...G4 doesn't even know what it wants to be anymore.

At least Comedy Central is still showing comedy....or at the very least, stuff that tries to be comedy.

Actually, the only reason Sci-Fi is showing ECW is because USA/NBC didn't have room for it anywhere else inside of their time-slots, so they signed a 12 week contract to test ECW on Sci-Fi, and if it turned out good, they were going to take a show off of another channel and add this, or possibly replace Smackdown (merging Smackdown into RAW making it a one-brand show again) and place ECW on UPN. Right now though, ECW is the highest rated show on Sci-Fi, and they are looking to keep it on. Not to mention, if you have been wtaching it, they have been adding many things Sci-Fi re-lated, such as "Zombies", Mordecai (aka Fertig - Vampire), Vamprisses, Vampires, and tons of other things that relate to science fiction.

#43 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:39 AM

At least Made is a semi decent show.

That show is very semi reality. I hate when they are like "Everyone accepts me now, I'm with the in crowd." Bullshit, its because the people that are being nice to that person are on TV. You think if the geek who wants to be cool asks this girl out, she'll say "Get out of my fucking face?" Hell no, they want that 4 minutes of TV time.

I have to tell my sisters about what you saw varsity, they swear that show is not scripted. I seriously doubt they'd have all these high tech multiple movie cameras on the fly.

#44 Graystone

Graystone

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:40 AM

A fake reality show gasp :roll:

#45 HeadRusch

HeadRusch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:41 AM

If you want to see what MTV used to be like before 1986 or so, watch VH1 Classics. Thats a pretty close aproximation of what MTV used to be like. By 1989 the only thing cool on MTV was Headbangers Ball, 120 Minutes, and Yo! MTV Raps. After that, all it was were endless House of Style and Club MTV type shows. That channel began to die the day they put REMOTE CONTROL on.

I tried watching Headbangers Ball on MTV2 not too long ago, and it was 2 videos, then 7 or 8 FULL Minutes of commercials, promos, bumpers (MTV spots reminding you you're watching MTV)...then like 2 more videos and the shit would repeat all over again.

MTV's Real World season 1...was actually kinda interesting, because it was completely new. The cast was made up of fairly normal people...there was some friction, but there wasn't anything absurd or outrageous.

By season 3 it was like "Watch as Yukko, the Homosexual Eskimo from Alaska catches Yaneesha, the Transexual Phipino Hooker in the shower with their roommate Yokel, the Farm Boy with the IQ of 12. Sparks Fly as Dirk, the Neo Nazi Jewish Rabbi in training throws a tantrum in the living room and beats the crap out of Jennifer, the blonde-haired, blue-eyed slut with a heart of gold".

In other words, it became a Michael Bay movie. Where even the dirt explodes like it was made of gunpowder.

#46 Roufuss

Roufuss

is now a coupon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:44 AM

That show is very semi reality. I hate when they are like "Everyone accepts me now, I'm with the in crowd." Bullshit, its because the people that are being nice to that person are on TV. You think if the geek who wants to be cool asks this girl out, she'll say "Get out of my fucking face?" Hell no, they want that 4 minutes of TV time.

I have to tell my sisters about what you saw varsity, they swear that show is not scripted. I seriously doubt they'd have all these high tech multiple movie cameras on the fly.

Actually, I've seen quite a few episodes of Made where the person asked another person out and they straight up rejected them.

I called my lady friend last night and said my buddy had to beat off on my chest, she is kinda pissed at me, but it was the best idea I had all night, and I stand by it.

Posted Image

#47 Predator21281

Predator21281

The Parking Lot Pimp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:18 AM

A girl who was on Pimp My Ride's car was jacked and she was shot and killed in the process three days after the show aired. Thanks X, my car pulls three miles to the gallon and has a 32 inch plasma in the back with hydraulics and 24" rims. Now I'm off the projects to see my baby's daddy.
Brawl Friend Code
Gull 5198 2154 2481

#48 Michaellvortega

Michaellvortega

Halo 3 is coming........

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:22 AM

A girl who was on Pimp My Ride's car was jacked and she was shot and killed in the process three days after the show aired. Thanks X, my car pulls three miles to the gallon and has a 32 inch plasma in the back with hydraulics and 24" rims. Now I'm off the projects to see my baby's daddy.

Word? Do you have a link? that's horrible.
DISCLAIMER:These postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Posted Image

#49 Predator21281

Predator21281

The Parking Lot Pimp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:36 AM

Word? Do you have a link? that's horrible.

Don't got a link, but it was on MTV news. The girl Nile from the second episode had a river put in the back. 6 weeks later she was driving and got carjacked, getting shot when it happened.
Brawl Friend Code
Gull 5198 2154 2481

#50 thespillcanvas

thespillcanvas

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:44 AM

I remember the kid that had the turntables put in the back of his station wagon had them stolen. He was on Judge Judy, or Milian, one of those, sueing the guy who stole them.

#51 Fatesealer

Fatesealer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:24 AM

Don't got a link, but it was on MTV news. The girl Nile from the second episode had a river put in the back. 6 weeks later she was driving and got carjacked, getting shot when it happened.

One site says urban legend. I can't find a newsstory via google about this.
Posted Image

#52 JaytheGamefan

JaytheGamefan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:01 AM

I hope it is just an urban legend. As for Sci-Fi, they show a shit-ton of non-sci-fi stuff besides ECW, like a lot of horror movies.