Scripting on MTV shows a tad too obvious now

Fatesealer

CAGiversary!
Save for The Real World, its become kind of boring to watch a 'reality' show on the channel and come to find out it's all been set up in advance. Room Raiders, The Hills, Next, hell even Pimp My Ride are all scripted. Where did all the realness go? :whistle2:(.

Edit: Speaking of Pimp My Ride, save for a few episodes, who the HELL would drive a car as shitty as some of them have? That truck that had no paneling at all (pretty much a frame with an engine) was bananas crazy and dangerous too. Who would drive a damn car with no door?

[quote name='bobo2k4']I didnt know people still watch MTV.[/QUOTE]

At least it's not ESPN like it was for the last month: SORIANO SORIANO SORIANO BONDS 'Harold Reynolds gone ya'll LOL' BONDS SORIANO SORIANO

I thought the whole thing being scripted was a given. It's obivious that they are reading cue cards or reading from a script.

And sorry to burst your bubble on reality shows, but they are all fake. It's been proven in shows like Real World and the other "live together in a house," scenario that they instigate emotions for dramatic effect.

Good rule of thumb is that when you look in the credits and you see writers, then its not reality. Unless I missed something when they handed out writers for everyday interactions.

[quote name='maddfrog']

Good rule of thumb is that when you look in the credits and you see writers, then its not reality. Unless I missed something when they handed out writers for everyday interactions.[/QUOTE]

Whose this guy following me then? He told me he was my writer.

[quote name='niceguyshawne']Whose this guy following me then? He told me he was my writer.[/quote]

Damnit! I knew something was going on! My parents have lied to me all these years!:lol:

[quote name='DT778']for pimp my ride I think xzibit just drives it a bit then they just tow it.[/QUOTE]

You mean he doesn't take that shit out on the freeway?

[quote name='Fatesealer']At least it's not ESPN like it was for the last month: SORIANO SORIANO SORIANO BONDS 'Harold Reynolds gone ya'll LOL' BONDS SORIANO SORIANO[/QUOTE]
Well, what else is there to talk about when the NHL is in its offseason? ;)

I remember back in high school when this girl was trying to decide which of my three friends to date. Sure she blacklighted their beds, but the rest of Room Raiders isn't a thing like real life.

[quote name='shipwreck']I remember back in high school when this girl was trying to decide which of my three friends to date. Sure she blacklighted their beds, but the rest of Room Raiders isn't a thing like real life.[/QUOTE]

My favorite episodes of Room Raiders is when they find the Xbox with 3 games (which are Madden, Halo, and a racing game) and the girl always dosen't choose him, because she "Dosen't want a guy obsessed with video games, those are for kids".

This is a true episode, I almost spit out soda laughing so hard. The dude had THREE games!!

[quote name='Roufuss']My favorite episodes of Room Raiders is when they find the Xbox with 3 games (which are Madden, Halo, and a racing game) and the girl always dosen't choose him, because she "Dosen't want a guy obsessed with video games, those are for kids".

This is a true episode, I almost spit out soda laughing so hard. The dude had THREE games!![/QUOTE]

I don't usually watch any MTV, but for some reason one of my friends is constantly watching these shows so I end up catching one of these every now and then. My personal favorite Room Raiders that I have seen is this one where the guy who "wins" has a rock collection and some little metal figures, and a coin collection that he said chicks dig. I guess he was right. :lol:

Oh yeah, it was the Republican vs. Democrat vs. fat friend one. Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't scene it. A perfect train wreck.

I like how people think they are so "CSI" because they can get a black light from walmart to look for things, whatever :speaktothehand: . Pimp my ride? I hate that show. Everyone has a sob story about how they have a bad car and this and that, but when they look in the cars the people always have old burgers, garbage and more garbage that they should have cleaned up in the first place. Most of the people on pimp my ride are not deserving of the pimping of their ride and or post their car on ebay the next day.

^"thanks xzibit for pimping my ride. This is totally going to change my life forever."

edit: shit I would ebay it the night the show aired. What the fuck would I do with a table tennis table on the back of my truck, shit I need that for work.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']Well, what else is there to talk about when the NHL is in its offseason? ;)[/QUOTE]

Does ESPN even cover the NHL DURING their season? I thought all they talked about now was Yankees/Red Sox, Barry Bonds, Brett Favre and/or Roger Clemens possible retirements, and plugging the poker tournaments and other crap they show all the time instead of real sports.

ESPN barely shows highlights of any games that don't include the Yankees or Red Sox, and you almost wouldn't even know the National League existed any more if it weren't for Bonds. Baseball Tonight is a complete clusterfuck without Peter Gammons now too, it's just a bunch of guys speculating and throwing random picks out for who will turn the season around and make the playoffs with few facts or stats.

The MTV shows have always been obviously fake especially Room Raiders, Next, and Date my Mom. How many people make sex and penis jokes for an entire date on national TV, and how many moms talk about their daughters being sluts and how they are too outside of Jerry Springer? Only MTV can manage to make shows where absolutely nothing happens (Laguna Beach) and completely sucker girls into buying into it all.

[quote name='DT778']^"thanks xzibit for pimping my ride. This is totally going to change my life forever."

edit: shit I would ebay it the night the show aired. What the fuck would I do with a table tennis table on the back of my truck, shit I need that for work.[/QUOTE]

The first season was at least decent. Now it's a race to see how many monitors they can put in the car and how much space they can take out of the car. Trunk space? Who's gonna need that when you have 13 monitors in your trunk, dawg.

[quote name='lionheart4life']Does ESPN even cover the NHL DURING their season? I thought all they talked about now was Yankees/Red Sox, Barry Bonds, Brett Favre and/or Roger Clemens possible retirements, and plugging the poker tournaments and other crap they show all the time instead of real sports.

ESPN barely shows highlights of any games that don't include the Yankees or Red Sox, and you almost wouldn't even know the National League existed any more if it weren't for Bonds. Baseball Tonight is a complete clusterfuck without Peter Gammons now too, it's just a bunch of guys speculating and throwing random picks out for who will turn the season around and make the playoffs with few facts or stats.

The MTV shows have always been obviously fake especially Room Raiders, Next, and Date my Mom. How many people make sex and penis jokes for an entire date on national TV, and how many moms talk about their daughters being sluts and how they are too outside of Jerry Springer? Only MTV can manage to make shows where absolutely nothing happens (Laguna Beach) and completely sucker girls into buying into it all.[/QUOTE]

Well the stories ESPN covers are what all local and national news papers covers...they will always cover the biggest stories as in what you said...bonds(which is an after thought), Sox/Yanks, Floyd Landis..etc...i dont mind hearing about sox/yanks news because its two teams that have the hugest rivarly in any sport...i say thats the most enjoyable news...you would know the NL existed because of Albert Pujols and not because of bonds...bonds is known for roids and not for the league. even clemens is in the NL so his name could be the poster for the NL......as for the NHL, ESPN didnt agree to the terms of the contract which was revenue for the NHL so the OLN bought out all the TV rights to broadcast national games...NBC has them on the weekend.its a pity you cant watch hockey on ESPN because wednesday night hockey was something i always put time for because they would always broadcast Red Wing Games...i can agree with most of the shows are crap on ESPN..im a poker player and i think the WSOP coverage is bland because all the hands are suck outs and none are played by skill. The contender though is a very good show IMO. Vinroy Wright is the man.
baseball tonight took a hit with firing reynolds and losing Gammons to a problem...Tim Kurkjin and Jason Stark should be the only guys doing any predicting and reporting on that show...STve Phillips is an idiot beyond belief...i mean seriously how many highlights can show in a game...the ones that matter are lead changing runs or a great robbery....run by run analysis can be seen on the teams local sports network anywayso its not like thats really important...thanks to SNY i can do that...i really dont care how the Devil Rays tacked on 19 runs against the yankees and how they did it. anyway its just a analysts show anyway...its the same as those guys who do stocks and stuff..its just for the hardcore baseball fan.

as for MTV...all the shows suck except for viva la bam...i dunno i just think the kid is funny.

I remember a time when MTV used to be about the music, man.:cry:

HAPPY fucking BIRTHDAY, MTV!!! 2 or 3 good years of quality videos and music with the rest of your life devoted to pure garbage!

[quote name='shieryda']I remember a time when MTV used to be about the music, man.:cry:

HAPPY fucking BIRTHDAY, MTV!!! 2 or 3 good years of quality videos and music with the rest of your life devoted to pure garbage![/QUOTE]

Remember when VH1 was about videos? Remember when Cartoon Network showed ONLY cartoons?

[quote name='Fatesealer']Remember when VH1 was about videos? Remember when Cartoon Network showed ONLY cartoons?[/quote]

Touche. Like Bob Dylan said, "The times they are a-changin'.":)

MTV isn't the only thing going downhill. In my youth I would never, in my wildest dreams, have imagined ESPN would devote so much time to poker.

[quote name='Revenantae']MTV isn't the only thing going downhill. In my youth I would never, in my wildest dreams, have imagined ESPN would devote so much time to poker.[/QUOTE]

The poker fad is still huge. Give it a few years, and the kiddies will find something else to go crazy about.

But yea, I've watched some of the SHIT MTV has put on the air lately. Yo' Momma, Next, Room Raiders, and that heavily scripted show when the parents pick a new girl/guy for their son/daughter to have sex with. It makes me sad...

Then of course there is TRL, where the same 10 stupid videos get played daily until the biscuitheads get bored and the artists "suck" so they find new ones to whore out. Yea you could scream out "OMG I love Sean Paul aahhhhhh!!!!", but if he wasn't making radio songs you wouldn't give 2 shits about him ;)

Sorry, rant over.

[quote name='Fatesealer']Remember when VH1 was about videos? Remember when Cartoon Network showed ONLY cartoons?[/QUOTE]

and when Sci-Fi wasn't showing Wrestling, TLC (formally "The Learning Channel") wasn't nothing but decorating shows, ect...

and let's not forget the whole TechTV/G4 fiasco...G4 doesn't even know what it wants to be anymore.

At least Comedy Central is still showing comedy....or at the very least, stuff that tries to be comedy.

[quote name='DT778']^ they also have spelling bees and darts tournaments on espn2[/QUOTE]
One time I saw a Magic: The Gathering tournament on ESPN2, no joke.

You should watch MTV Hits. It's nothing but videos. Mind you, they're mostly pop, generic rap, and lite rock Top 40 garbage but the best part is that there aren't any commercials or shows. If you want some good music, you gotta get Fuse.

Yeah, they are all horribly scripted. Unless MTV hires actors to pull this crap off, then they are not fooling anyone.

I don't mind Pimp My Ride so much. It always cracks me up how they'll take a car, put 8 monitors in it, XBOX/PS2s in it, etc, and then expect them to park it in the street in a ghetto neighborhood.
If they had a spinoff show that showed how long each car lasted before being broken into, or stolen, that'd be a good show.

[quote name='thespillcanvas']I don't mind Pimp My Ride so much. It always cracks me up how they'll take a car, put 8 monitors in it, XBOX/PS2s in it, etc, and then expect them to park it in the street in a ghetto neighborhood.
If they had a spinoff show that showed how long each car lasted before being broken into, or stolen, that'd be a good show.[/quote]
QFT

[quote name='thespillcanvas']I don't mind Pimp My Ride so much. It always cracks me up how they'll take a car, put 8 monitors in it, XBOX/PS2s in it, etc, and then expect them to park it in the street in a ghetto neighborhood.
If they had a spinoff show that showed how long each car lasted before being broken into, or stolen, that'd be a good show.[/QUOTE]

We think the Spinoff shoulda ctulally be Buy My Ride, seeing as a majority of the cars end up on Ebay. Wouldn't you be mad as all hell to fix up someone's car only to have them turn around and sell the bitch off? In a way I could understand why they'd do it (hello? potential chop shops, steal this car) but from a different standpoint, it makes no sense how someone could deal with a shitty car but a brand new one is unacceptable...

I think the issue with MTV Reality shows are that before hand you were able to suspend believe just enough to go "ok that could be true".

Nowadays it's so ridiculous that you can help but roll your eyes and wonder why it slid so far downhill.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']WTF?[/QUOTE]
Best part was that they had commentators

"Bob has a Shivan Dragon in his hand. Will he play it? The match could end quickly if he does. Wait a minute, he's tapping his mountains... He played the Dragon!! This match is over folks!!!"

I was in California a week back, and on the way back to San Diego from LA, we were driving right through Laguna Beach. We took our time, because my girlfriend had watched the show so she wanted to see the area. Right as we got into the center of the town, we saw a film crew set up on our right. We pulled over into a parking lot and got out to see what was going on.

Sure enough, they were filming Laguna Beach III. It was a staff of maybe 6 people, and there were 2 cameras... BIG cameras... stationary ones. And a couple guys were holding those huge white panels they use to reflect natural light at their mark. Well they were filming a girl... she sort of looked half asian... getting out of her car. Over, and over, and over. It was like a 4 second shot of her getting out of her big black SUV. And they shot it like 3 times WHILE we stood there. We were asked to leave after that, because we were "distracting the talent."

oh well, i knew it was scripted... it was just cool to see.

oh here is that chick's pic:
167397301.jpg

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Best part was that they had commentators

"Bob has a Shivan Dragon in his hand. Will he play it? The match could end quickly if he does. Wait a minute, he's tapping his mountains... He played the Dragon!! This match is over folks!!!"[/QUOTE]

"Wait, his opponent has a counterspell... DOWN GOES SHIVAN, DOWN GOES SHIVAN"

[quote name='Sporadic']I think the issue with MTV Reality shows are that before hand you were able to suspend believe just enough to go "ok that could be true".

Nowadays it's so ridiculous that you can help but roll your eyes and wonder why it slid so far downhill.[/QUOTE]

It's because a lot of the comments are so over the top, the suspension is gone the minute it goes on. Take for example Pimp My Ride. I'm sure the person is told in advance to be at home at a certain time, and make sure you get the door and no one else. Plus you must act super surprised when X gets there. Surely if they film you riding around in your crappy ass car, chances are you'll get it pimped. Shocking...

You know what I wanted, a show that shows you what happens after "Room Raiders" or "Date My Mom". Do these people even go on one date? Do they end up hating each other because they made a dating choice on a shallow premise?

I will never know.

At least Made is a semi decent show.

[quote name='Fatesealer']Remember when VH1 was about videos? Remember when Cartoon Network showed ONLY cartoons?[/quote]

Yeah, but atleast VH1 actually has some good shows now instead of going the way of MTV (Hogan Knows Best, Celebrity Fit Club, and a few others). As for reality TV, there is no such thing. "Reality" is not reality, when it comes to TV.. especially when it comes to MTV.

The network blows.

TLR is a crappy show. They'll show like 30% of the song, and even that is interrupted with fans screaming "OMG I love u jenny from new york!!!!!!!!!111111111'

All the "reality" shows suck. Take Pimp my Ride, for instance. Notice how when Xzibit is walking up to their door they have multiple camera angles and what not? Credit the "constestant" for providing a fake reaction.

The dating shows are stupid, too. It's blatantly obvious that they are reading lines, because they've always got little one-liners they throw out there (like when they're getting interviewed alone).

I don't know how so many college friends of mine can be so infatuated with the network. To each their own, I guess.

[quote name='SMMM']and when Sci-Fi wasn't showing Wrestling, TLC (formally "The Learning Channel") wasn't nothing but decorating shows, ect...

and let's not forget the whole TechTV/G4 fiasco...G4 doesn't even know what it wants to be anymore.

At least Comedy Central is still showing comedy....or at the very least, stuff that tries to be comedy.[/quote]
Actually, the only reason Sci-Fi is showing ECW is because USA/NBC didn't have room for it anywhere else inside of their time-slots, so they signed a 12 week contract to test ECW on Sci-Fi, and if it turned out good, they were going to take a show off of another channel and add this, or possibly replace Smackdown (merging Smackdown into RAW making it a one-brand show again) and place ECW on UPN. Right now though, ECW is the highest rated show on Sci-Fi, and they are looking to keep it on. Not to mention, if you have been wtaching it, they have been adding many things Sci-Fi re-lated, such as "Zombies", Mordecai (aka Fertig - Vampire), Vamprisses, Vampires, and tons of other things that relate to science fiction.

[quote name='Roufuss']At least Made is a semi decent show.[/QUOTE]

That show is very semi reality. I hate when they are like "Everyone accepts me now, I'm with the in crowd." Bullshit, its because the people that are being nice to that person are on TV. You think if the geek who wants to be cool asks this girl out, she'll say "Get out of my fucking face?" Hell no, they want that 4 minutes of TV time.

I have to tell my sisters about what you saw varsity, they swear that show is not scripted. I seriously doubt they'd have all these high tech multiple movie cameras on the fly.

If you want to see what MTV used to be like before 1986 or so, watch VH1 Classics. Thats a pretty close aproximation of what MTV used to be like. By 1989 the only thing cool on MTV was Headbangers Ball, 120 Minutes, and Yo! MTV Raps. After that, all it was were endless House of Style and Club MTV type shows. That channel began to die the day they put REMOTE CONTROL on.

I tried watching Headbangers Ball on MTV2 not too long ago, and it was 2 videos, then 7 or 8 FULL Minutes of commercials, promos, bumpers (MTV spots reminding you you're watching MTV)...then like 2 more videos and the shit would repeat all over again.

MTV's Real World season 1...was actually kinda interesting, because it was completely new. The cast was made up of fairly normal people...there was some friction, but there wasn't anything absurd or outrageous.

By season 3 it was like "Watch as Yukko, the Homosexual Eskimo from Alaska catches Yaneesha, the Transexual Phipino Hooker in the shower with their roommate Yokel, the Farm Boy with the IQ of 12. Sparks Fly as Dirk, the Neo Nazi Jewish Rabbi in training throws a tantrum in the living room and beats the crap out of Jennifer, the blonde-haired, blue-eyed slut with a heart of gold".

In other words, it became a Michael Bay movie. Where even the dirt explodes like it was made of gunpowder.

[quote name='tcrash247']That show is very semi reality. I hate when they are like "Everyone accepts me now, I'm with the in crowd." Bullshit, its because the people that are being nice to that person are on TV. You think if the geek who wants to be cool asks this girl out, she'll say "Get out of my fucking face?" Hell no, they want that 4 minutes of TV time.

I have to tell my sisters about what you saw varsity, they swear that show is not scripted. I seriously doubt they'd have all these high tech multiple movie cameras on the fly.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I've seen quite a few episodes of Made where the person asked another person out and they straight up rejected them.

If they had a spinoff show that showed how long each car lasted before being broken into, or stolen, that'd be a good show.[/quote]A girl who was on Pimp My Ride's car was jacked and she was shot and killed in the process three days after the show aired. Thanks X, my car pulls three miles to the gallon and has a 32 inch plasma in the back with hydraulics and 24" rims. Now I'm off the projects to see my baby's daddy.

[quote name='Predator21281']A girl who was on Pimp My Ride's car was jacked and she was shot and killed in the process three days after the show aired. Thanks X, my car pulls three miles to the gallon and has a 32 inch plasma in the back with hydraulics and 24" rims. Now I'm off the projects to see my baby's daddy.[/QUOTE]

Word? Do you have a link? that's horrible.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Word? Do you have a link? that's horrible.[/quote]Don't got a link, but it was on MTV news. The girl Nile from the second episode had a river put in the back. 6 weeks later she was driving and got carjacked, getting shot when it happened.

bread's done
Back