New England taps high score!

dark-star

CAGiversary!
(8/2/06) -- New England consumers used a record amount of electricity yesterday, breaking a record that was set only the day before. I-S-O New England says usage peaked around 2 in the afternoon at over 28-thousand megawatts. About a third of all the power that was used went to powering air conditioners. I-S-O New England says the record would have been much higher if consumers had not conserved electricity as the company requested.

=======================================

28 gigawatts, (or jiggawatts if you prefer) = wow. Now imagine that kind of power generated by mirror farms and tidal generators, maybe some geothermal and wind power thrown in, and we would start to look pretty smart to the rest of the world. I'm not even against small nuclear reactors if it helps us get off the sludgy teats. Long term, it would lower our electricity bills, and eliminate millions of tons of carbon emissions. If the money that has already been wasted in and on Iraq went instead towards building a hydrocarbon-free power infrastructure, America will be well on our way to once again being the true leaders of the free world.

Unfortunately, anything even remotely like that will have to wait for a new President, and radical new leadership in the House and Senate. Nothing meaningful is going to happen under the current clowns, so I urge all of you that can, to vote in the next election. Vote for change, not just the same tired hands that we keep seeing year after year.

Yea, here in Stamford, CT it's pretty bad. My shopping center that I work in has been closed down since 3:30pm yesterday. A power generator blew up and the whole street has no power.

[quote name='Scahom1']Yea, here in Stamford, CT it's pretty bad. My shopping center that I work in has been closed down since 3:30pm yesterday. A power generator blew up and the whole street has no power.[/quote]

Please tell me that actually happened. :lol:

I live in Eastern Ma and my power was out for 5 hours last night because the lines couldn't handle the strain of all the AC's.

All the karaoke machines spittin' out Linda Rodstadt songs at all those homosexual wedding receptions is sucking your power supply dry.

bread's done
Back