4.4 Quake in the Bay

I was at work and I felt it a little bit. I work at a quarry so I thought it was a big rock truck going by at first. But they don't shake the ground that much or in that fashion.

I remember the Northridge, CA quake in 1994 -- I live a few miles from the epicenter (is that what they call source of the quake) so we felt it. Good times.

[quote name='chakan']There was a 3.8 up north here where I live at 1am, maybe the whole plate is moving?[/quote]

not sure about plate movements but after living in the san francisco bay area for 18 years (minus 2 years in southern california for college), i have been expecting a large quake coming.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Do you guys bolt your stuff to the walls? Electronics and valuables? serious question.[/QUOTE]

Definately bookshelves and hutches, or anything similar. You just don't want that heavy stuff falling on people. If a big one hits, there isn't really anything you could have done to prevent things from falling off shelves.

I felt it. I asked all of my friends if they felt an earthquake and they told me that it was just in my mind and that I was probably just crazy :roll:

[quote name='vietgurl']I felt it. I asked all of my friends if they felt an earthquake and they told me that it was just in my mind and that I was probably just crazy :roll:[/QUOTE]
So now you find the news and email it to all of them!

I didn't feel anything but I had a dream last night that we were watching TV and they were predicting the magnitude of all these earthquakes that were coming up within minutes. And there was a 4.5... a 3.5... etc etc and we'd sit through the minor shakes. And then the announcer said, "Oh God" and they flashed on the screen a 14.1 .... and we all knew we were going to die. Everyone just sat there totally quiet and paralyzed.

I wonder WTF a 14.1 would be like... I am assuming something in that realm of power would (?) be possible. It would level even the "earthquake proof" buildings to the ground.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']I didn't feel anything but I had a dream last night that we were watching TV and they were predicting the magnitude of all these earthquakes that were coming up within minutes. And there was a 4.5... a 3.5... etc etc and we'd sit through the minor shakes. And then the announcer said, "Oh God" and they flashed on the screen a 14.1 .... and we all knew we were going to die. Everyone just sat there totally quiet and paralyzed.

I wonder WTF a 14.1 would be like... I am assuming something in that realm of power would (?) be possible. It would level even the "earthquake proof" buildings to the ground.[/QUOTE]

Jesus Christ! Is 14.1 even possible, oh my God, I've got chills just thinking of the damage that would create. WOW!

4.4 ain't nothing. I was in Cali for Northridge and the Big Bear earthquakes. I slept through the first Big Bear earthquake and only woke up for the second one because I heard the power lines slapping together.

[quote name='chakan']....you need to move east.

Now.[/quote]

Why? I live in New Hampshire and they had an earthquake here a couple of years ago. Just a little one mind you, but still a little shakin' going on.

TBW

I live 9 miles from the epicenter of this earthquake. Just some shaking going on. It was pretty thrilling, but nothing more than a little shake. If it was any bigger I'm sure my bookshelf with all my games on it would have come tumbling down. I'd love to bolt it to the wall, but I'm renting and the landlord wouldn't like that.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']
I wonder WTF a 14.1 would be like... I am assuming something in that realm of power would (?) be possible. It would level even the "earthquake proof" buildings to the ground.[/QUOTE]

Well considering a 10 is equilvent to 1 teraton of dynamite, and a 12 is estimated to be be equilvent to enough TNT to crack most of the Earth wide open like a coconut, I'm pretty sure a 14.1 isn't all that possible and if it was you'd probably want to think about relocating to a new planet.

I was at work when it hit. I am about 30+ minutes away from the epicenter of the quake.

My boss was the only one that felt the quake and we all thought he was crazy. Or tired.

i felt it, it was one of the stronger ones ive felt in a while. Because usually i dont even feel them. I guess it was stronger to me because im closer to santa rosa. It was pretty wierd, things started shaking, and i was wondering what the hell it was for like a second, then i thought, oh its a earthquake. Do you guys actually mount your stuff? I dont think we have anything mounted, though most of our shelves are already on our wall

I felt it here in South San Francisco, pretty decent shaking for being about 50 miles away from the epicenter, just glad that my dvds didn't fall off of the shelves.

I agree with Duo_Maxwell, a 14.1 is impossible, and if it were to happen the planet would just crumble. The largest quake ever was an 8.9, and that was enormous.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']I didn't feel anything but I had a dream last night that we were watching TV and they were predicting the magnitude of all these earthquakes that were coming up within minutes. And there was a 4.5... a 3.5... etc etc and we'd sit through the minor shakes. And then the announcer said, "Oh God" and they flashed on the screen a 14.1 .... and we all knew we were going to die. Everyone just sat there totally quiet and paralyzed.

I wonder WTF a 14.1 would be like... I am assuming something in that realm of power would (?) be possible. It would level even the "earthquake proof" buildings to the ground.[/quote]

right after the '89 quake, there reports that the highest is 10 and a 10 magnitude=earth breaking apart. the '89 one was pretty awesome as well. i was 10 years old back then.

I was at work and I was rolling on my desk chair putting something away, but a bunch of coworkers said they felt it. I totally missed it, but when 5 other people feel it, it must have been a significant shake.

bread's done
Back