Going to Japan in 1 week...any suggestions?

y2kenjination

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
Hey everyone,

I'll be going to Tokyo in about a week, and I need some recommendations. Now I've been to Tokyo twice, so I have visited places like Harajuku, Shibuya, Akihabara, etc. This time around, I would like to explore Tokyo a little more.

First and foremost, I was wondering what the major arcades were in the Tokyo area? Specifically for fighting games like King of Fighters and Street Fighter. I've been meaning to check out the Japan arcade scene.

I've never been to the Tokyo Tower, Kamakura, Yokohama, or Odaiba, so I'm definitely going to visit those places this time around. Are there any cool places in those areas?

Although I frequent Akiba, Shibuya, and Harajuku, would anyone mind suggesting some nice stores for anime figures/merchandise, and video game related stores?

How about some cheap night clubs, or events in Tokyo during August 22nd September 5th? Are there any nice indoor beaches or outdoor beaches near Tokyo? How about onsens? Sorry for all the questions...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a huge J-pop fan, and I really want to attend the A-nation 06 concerts while I'm there. What would be the easiest way to get tickets? How about for a baseball game?

Oh, and would anyone happen to know if Neo Geo Land is still around? I know the original one shut down a few years back.

Thanks in advance!

No Neo Geo Land went out of business sadly. As for stores and Aki don't bother for the most part. When you're there or slightly before just bid on shit from Yahoo! Of Japan auctions and have the products shipped to your Hotel or Hostel. Buying in stores at Aki for the most part is overpriced.

I think that the major arcade was just called "SEGA." But basically, people there like Guilty Gear and Virtua Fighter 5. If you're into fighting games, well... then that's Heaven.

Tekken is pretty big too but at least VF actually has a following over there and almost every fighting fan doesn't play Tekken like over here.

For Arcades...Check out Shinjuku3 Chrome (on the east side of Shinjuku JR station)...theres some pretty good tatio inns there...just don't wander too far into Kabukicho, Tokyo's vice zone...there are some arcades there, but they are often more expensive than other parts of town...Theres a couple OK arcades out in Ikebukuro (including a counter strike arcade setup, counter strike neo)....two good sized ones (a Sega and if I remember correctly, an Adores) are near the Sunshine 60 building. There's a massively huge arcade out on Odaiba in tokyo bay...Its under the giant farris wheel....There's also a Sega Joyoplis (kind like Gameworks in the US) but I haven't been in it...its in a mall called Decks

Tokyo Tower is tourist trap, and expensive on at that....Go to Tokyo City Hall (free) or Roppongi Hills (pricey but pretty plush and has a small art gallery at the top as well)...you'll get better views in a much less cramped spot.

Odaiba is nice because it has huge amounts of open space...just don't go on a weekend because its very crowded. Try to work it by walking back over rainbow bridge before it closes at night...its a hike but you'll get some really impressive views. In the past there was some sort of Nintendo exhibit at a Panasonic Center out there.

Nikko is nice to visit as well...Yokomama isn't all that much different that Tokyo...just not as many tall buildings although it does have a nice area near the bay and some nice temples/gardens.

[quote name='Sarang01']No Neo Geo Land went out of business sadly. As for stores and Aki don't bother for the most part. When you're there or slightly before just bid on shit from Yahoo! Of Japan auctions and have the products shipped to your Hotel or Hostel. Buying in stores at Aki for the most part is overpriced.[/QUOTE]
I don't think the stuff at Aki is overpriced. If you think so, then what place would you recommend? Does anyone know of some US bidding services that bids on Japan auctions for you? I know about Celga and Rinkya, but they're pretty pricey. Do any other services exist?

So where is this "SEGA" arcade located? In Akiba? I heard Joyopolis in Odaiba is really good. Gotta test out my KOF XI skills over there!

Odaiba is fun, I'd recommend going there for sure. I didn't go in the Joyopolis there 'cause there was an admission fee and the wife didn't want me blowing our yen just so I could look inside (and then possibly end up staying the whole day there, natch). We did end up visiting the Toyota Megapolis. I just wish I had an International license so we could have made an appointment to test drive the cars.

As for Akiba being expensive...well, Japan is just expensive in general. The cool toys were all bookoo bucks, and it's like that pretty much everywhere. I wouldn't bother using auction, unless you have an address to send to and decent translation skills. I don't know any other US bidding service beyond Rinkya--it certainly is damn expensive to the point of not being worth it.

There's a good thread on Tokyo game shopping somewheres but I'm too lazy to link it.

[quote name='y2kenjination']
So where is this "SEGA" arcade located? In Akiba? I heard Joyopolis in Odaiba is really good. Gotta test out my KOF XI skills over there![/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's in Akiba.

IIRC, with a US passport, you don't have to pay tax and the pricest are a tad bit cheaper in Akiba.

If you're into amusement parks, check out Tokyo Dome.

What does it cost to go to japan for like a week? total, airfare, hotel, some spending money... whatever else. I know theres not an actual answer, but an estimate maybe?

[quote name='DeathDealer']What does it cost to go to japan for like a week? total, airfare, hotel, some spending money... whatever else. I know theres not an actual answer, but an estimate maybe?[/QUOTE]
It really depends on where you live, what you plan on doing, what you plan on buying, etc etc. I live in Seattle, and my roundtrip ticket costed me $800 (it's cheaper during other parts of the year). I'm bringing around $1600 to spend (including $370 for the hotel, and $300 or so for food and transportation).

Look at long as you can get an account set up on Yahoo! Of Japan auctions set up with a credit card and send it to your hotel I would imagine you having VERY little trouble after that and it's certainly worth the cost in some cases as any Bemani product you will overpay here substantially compared to there. Comparing eBay and YoJ auctions I got Para Para for a song. Also if you're a DM fan you can sometimes find used bundles for GREAT prices.
Here's a great piece of advice for you that I think everyone will agree with me on. If you're staying for a while get a monthly train ticket or even divide the cost up with some other people and do it per week or whatever as long as it's not specialized to your name you're set. I mean those trains will bite into your pocketbook real quick.

I enjoyed my visit to Tokyo Tower. If you havent gone to the top yet, do it. Sure its a tourist attraction but the sights from the top are AMAZING. I have some excellent photos from about 6 years ago when I first when that I took from the top of the towers at dusk and evening. It amazing to see how built up Tokyo really is and I just find it cool how you can see how they have all the small cemetaries placed through the city, nothing like here in the US.

[quote name='DeathDealer']What does it cost to go to japan for like a week? total, airfare, hotel, some spending money... whatever else. I know theres not an actual answer, but an estimate maybe?[/quote]

I can say from the 3 times I have been to Tokyo I have spent anywhere between $4000-6000 depending on how long I stayed which was 12 days the first time, 7 days the second and 15 days the third. The big factors are airfare and the place you stay. I always choose moderate hotels, usually around $200 a night, sometimes less, these would be compared to your standard $100 a night hotels here in the US, nothing special at all but they are very comparable to what we have here in the US, of course they have cheaper places but seeing as Im 30, I really am done with slumming/backpacking it and I like my own bathroom. Food is on the expensive side when compared to here, easiest way to do it is to think that you will spend about $10 for anytype of "fastfood" meal because they do have plenty of Mcdonalds, KFC, Wendy's and Pizza hutts but they also have a lot of food huts and sushi bars on the street/corners. Then you have to think about all the cool stuff they have over there, A trip like this is most definetly one of those times that you splurg or spoil yourself.

I hope you get to go to the A-NATION tour, I love Ayumi Hamasaki

How much would a pink DS lite be over there? I don't know if liksang/ncsx are being honest in their pricing?

[quote name='battleroyal33']I can say from the 3 times I have been to Tokyo I have spent anywhere between $4000-6000 depending on how long I stayed which was 12 days the first time, 7 days the second and 15 days the third. The big factors are airfare and the place you stay. I always choose moderate hotels, usually around $200 a night, sometimes less, these would be compared to your standard $100 a night hotels here in the US, nothing special at all but they are very comparable to what we have here in the US, of course they have cheaper places but seeing as Im 30, I really am done with slumming/backpacking it and I like my own bathroom. Food is on the expensive side when compared to here, easiest way to do it is to think that you will spend about $10 for anytype of "fastfood" meal because they do have plenty of Mcdonalds, KFC, Wendy's and Pizza hutts but they also have a lot of food huts and sushi bars on the street/corners. Then you have to think about all the cool stuff they have over there, A trip like this is most definetly one of those times that you splurg or spoil yourself.[/QUOTE]

You DO realize some Hostels offer one or two person rooms right?

[quote name='sarausagi']I hope you get to go to the A-NATION tour, I love Ayumi Hamasaki
?[/quote]
Oh man. Ayumi Hamasaki is so fake. She kinda creeps me out. But that's just me. Plus I'm not a j-pop fan.

But while in Japan you should eat some good ramen. Take in a baseball game and sit in one of the rooting sections. Oh and buy the noise makers and learn the songs for each player. It's a blast!

Oh and leave the city. I love the countryside in Japan. I lived in the sticks and miss it a lot.

Enjoy!!

[quote name='Bonesinski']Oh man. Ayumi Hamasaki is so fake. She kinda creeps me out. But that's just me. Plus I'm not a j-pop fan.

But while in Japan you should eat some good ramen. Take in a baseball game and sit in one of the rooting sections. Oh and buy the noise makers and learn the songs for each player. It's a blast!

Oh and leave the city. I love the countryside in Japan. I lived in the sticks and miss it a lot.

Enjoy!![/QUOTE]

Hmm, there's nothing fake about her to me, she produce some genuinely good music. My Story on SACD is one of my most prized possessions, but I guess "J-pop" is something that doesn't fit everyone's taste...I wouldn't call Ayumi Hamasaki typical J-pop though...the instrumentation on most of her songs is very clever and very lavish.

On the off chance you plan on checking out the Square Enix store, be warned that it is only open on Saturdays and Sundays.

[quote name='Renzokuken']Yeah, it's in Akiba.

IIRC, with a US passport, you don't have to pay tax and the pricest are a tad bit cheaper in Akiba.

If you're into amusement parks, check out Tokyo Dome.[/QUOTE]
Hm, I'll have to look into that non-tax thing. Thanks.

Look at long as you can get an account set up on Yahoo! Of Japan auctions set up with a credit card and send it to your hotel I would imagine you having VERY little trouble after that and it's certainly worth the cost in some cases as any Bemani product you will overpay here substantially compared to there. Comparing eBay and YoJ auctions I got Para Para for a song. Also if you're a DM fan you can sometimes find used bundles for GREAT prices.
Here's a great piece of advice for you that I think everyone will agree with me on. If you're staying for a while get a monthly train ticket or even divide the cost up with some other people and do it per week or whatever as long as it's not specialized to your name you're set. I mean those trains will bite into your pocketbook real quick.
Well, last time I tried to set up a Yahoo auctions Japan account, it asked me for a Japanese credit card. I'm not really into Bemani, but I plan on buying the Taiko no Tatsujin drums and games for PS2. :D I plan on staying in the Tokyo area, mostly (besides Yokohama). I probably won't need a monthly ticket since I'm only staying for two weeks. However, don't they do weekly JR passes?

I hope you get to go to the A-NATION tour, I love Ayumi Hamasaki

How much would a pink DS lite be over there? I don't know if liksang/ncsx are being honest in their pricing?
Heh, thanks. I'm trying to make it to both shows (27th & 28th). One show will have AAA, whereas the other one has BoA. Damn you Avex! I'm kinda over Ayumi...yeah, I'm still a fan of hers, but I think she's past her prime. I was a huge fan of hers during 99-2001. I'm going to A nation mostly for BoA, AAA, Dream, Hitomi, Ami Suzuki, Koda Kumi, Ai Otsuka, and Every Little Thing.

J-pop is great, but most definitely an acquired taste. It's my choice for music!

As for DS Lite prices, I think it's 17000 yen or something like that? (Roughly $145).

On the off chance you plan on checking out the Square Enix store, be warned that it is only open on Saturdays and Sundays.
There's a Square Enix store!?!?!?!? O__O Please, tell me more about it! (Like how to get there). I tried googling for it, but no dice =/

Oh, and screw Youth Hostels. It's all about the cheap hotels near Minami Senju. The hotel I'm staying at is only $25 a night, with no strings attached at all. Don't worry, I've stayed there before, so I know it's safe. The only downside is public bathrooms and showers, but that's not a huge deal to me. Yeah, the room's kinda small, but for $25 a night, who am I to complain? My room has air conditioning, a TV, there's free Internet in the lobby, it's practically heaven! As for the food, you just need to know where to go. I LOVE Matsuuya and Yoshinoya. They've got beef bowls and curry for so cheap...I could eat at those places for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and I'd be happy. Oh, and the convenience stores in Japan have surprisingly good microwaveable food.

[quote name='sarausagi']Hmm, there's nothing fake about her to me, she produce some genuinely good music. My Story on SACD is one of my most prized possessions, but I guess "J-pop" is something that doesn't fit everyone's taste...I wouldn't call Ayumi Hamasaki typical J-pop though...the instrumentation on most of her songs is very clever and very lavish.[/quote]

I guess I should have been more specific. She LOOKS fake. Plastic maybe. I think Bob Sapp and her were on a panasonic stand up in an electronics store while I lived there. That was pretty sweet and creepy at the same time.

As far as her music goes I can't comment much since I don't listen to it. But she's doing something right since she sells millions of albums.

I miss Japan.

[quote name='y2kenjination']As for the food, you just need to know where to go. I LOVE Matsuuya and Yoshinoya. They've got beef bowls and curry for so cheap...I could eat at those places for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and I'd be happy.[/quote]

Hah. Good luck on getting a Yoshinoya beef bowl. Maybe if you were going a few months from now, you'd be set.

advice: take lots of money
no seriously, i had a friend who went there not too long ago, told me about this Gundam game that uses magnetic cards. says he spent most of his vacation there. its truly amazing from the sound of it. so i honestly would recommend you bring a deck protector box (like one for magic cards).

[quote name='Bonesinski']I guess I should have been more specific. She LOOKS fake. Plastic maybe. I think Bob Sapp and her were on a panasonic stand up in an electronics store while I lived there. That was pretty sweet and creepy at the same time.

As far as her music goes I can't comment much since I don't listen to it. But she's doing something right since she sells millions of albums.

I miss Japan.[/QUOTE]

It's pop straight through, but I couldn't really call it "pop". I'd say 1/3 of the tracks are pretty much rock, 1/3 of the tracks are dance, and 1/3 of the tracks are either just straight pop or very moving ballads.

I've never been to Japan but I'm afraid if I go I will start longing for it every day of my life in the states. I feel an affinity to everything, not just the games and the music. I don't think I could walk those streets, or sit on a subway, or visit a shrine, and go back to this life.

But if you ever want to listen to Ayumi I'd be more than happy to upload some mp3's to my server for you, her best albums are pretty much her latest ones, the musicianship on them is through the roof

She even did a classical version of her "MY STORY" album with the Paris Philiharmonic, the music on it is just incredible, and I am very surprised her voice kept up with a complete orchestra, most singers can't do that and sound half good

But you're right about how fake she looks, about 1/4 of the time I think she's hot, and then the 3/4 I am scared because she looks like one of those resin figures you build yourself..

[quote name='Bonesinski']Heh, thanks. I'm trying to make it to both shows (27th & 28th). One show will have AAA, whereas the other one has BoA. Damn you Avex! I'm kinda over Ayumi...yeah, I'm still a fan of hers, but I think she's past her prime. I was a huge fan of hers during 99-2001. I'm going to A nation mostly for BoA, AAA, Dream, Hitomi, Ami Suzuki, Koda Kumi, Ai Otsuka, and Every Little Thing.

J-pop is great, but most definitely an acquired taste. It's my choice for music!

As for DS Lite prices, I think it's 17000 yen or something like that? (Roughly $145).[/QUOTE]

Otsuka Ai? Wow, lucky! I love Otsuka, she has some great music behind all the "fluff" pieces she records [Smiley, Biidama, Sakuranbo] almost seems kind of progressive at some points [the music can get really weird..] but for the most part she just makes beautiful music

So the lik sang price is a little inflated..I thought so..but I guess that's the price of importing it.

[quote name='Sarang01']You DO realize some Hostels offer one or two person rooms right?[/quote]

and YOU do realize that I dont need travel advice from a broke kid who probably has never left the US. Someone asked how expesnive Japan is and I gave them advice based on my experince. I feel Im to old to stay in a crappy hostel with time restraints telling me when I need to be back inside or I will get locked out, and if you think they dont do that you have shown how much your really know.

y2kenjination,

You can find the Square Enix store about two blocks from the Hatsudai stop on the New Keio line. I had a really hard time finding it until Cheapy helped out. If you'd like to splurge on a meal during your trip, I can't recommend this place highly enough for the Kobe beef:

http://www.seryna.co.jp/shop/shinjyuku-e.html

If you're a sushi man, and want to get up ass-early check out this place in the Tsukiji Fish Market:

http://www.tsukijinet.com/tsukiji/kanren/susibun/eng.html

Also, if you're looking for a reasonably priced hotel room check out the Nishi Shinjuku hotel. I stayed there a couple of months ago and it was quite reasonably priced, and not far from some kick-ass nightlife.

One more suggestion... If you see anything cool while out shopping for games, or anything else for that matter, just buy it! There are so many things I regret not picking up in Japan. Looking back, I would have much rather had massive credit card debt, than have missed out on some cool shit.

One day those DQ slime phone straps and "Ultraman on a crucifix" figures will be mine!

Hey fellow CAGers...I`m in Tokyo right now (having an excellent time, might I add). I`ll post some pictures in a few days if anyone`s interested.

I can`t seem to find any stores in Akiba that sells used white PSP`s and used 360`s. Are these pretty uncommon to come across? Or are there any stores that sell them? So far, only Media Land seems to have used white PSP`s. I`m also having a hard time finding a used copy of Taiko no Tatsujin 1 for PSP. Hm, maybe I should just buy that new copy I saw at Yodobashi Camera. How about used Taiko drums? So far, I`ve seen none.

Oh, and does anyone know of any stores in Akiba that sells mostly fighting games and arcade sticks? One more question...where is Super Potato? I still can`t seem to find it after reading Cheapy`s explanation. Would anyone mind giving a more detailed explanation? Much appreciated!

bread's done
Back