Photo
- - - - -

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey - XBOX - Price Drop

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31 morbidsin

morbidsin

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:18 PM

Are there any cheap ways of getting The Longest Journey for those of us who never played the original?

Got me a copy for $0.98 at Compusa a week ago (Dallas,TX) (YMMV).

#32 Legolas813

Legolas813

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:30 PM

You can sometimes find The Longest Journey for $10 in the jewel case section of Target.

If you are getting it from Ebay make sure you get the 2-CD version (not the older 4-CD).

#33 espy

espy

Original Transported Man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:01 PM

'Playing' this game is akin to a book-on-tape. The hopping back and forth through time is neat, and the story is complete, but it goes through long periods of drawn out boring.

It's based on the old PC adventure game design, which focuses primarily on story and not much else. For old PC gamers, this is a rarity in games these days and a lot of us have huge nostalgia for this type of game.

How does Starforce harm your computer? That's interesting a copy protection scheme actually does damage.

#34 kroadmeister

kroadmeister

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:28 PM

the game is horrible on all accounts except for story, do realiize this before you buy. It couldn't of been programmed for more than 6 months. If you didn't play KOTOR or Indigo Prophecy(two far superior games this one wants to be) you can get both for cheaper then this, and I highly suggest you do.

#35 Roufuss

Roufuss

is now a coupon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:31 PM

Is it really that bad? I found out my copy of XIII had Star Force. What will happen to my computer and what can I do about this? :cry:

As far as I know, there is nothing you can do about it. Google Starforce and read up on some websites dedicated to it.. I think the second link there even has a video.

I called my lady friend last night and said my buddy had to beat off on my chest, she is kinda pissed at me, but it was the best idea I had all night, and I stand by it.

Posted Image

#36 romeogbs19

romeogbs19

Henshin A Go-Go Baby!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:28 PM

Exactly -- this, along with Sierra, Still Life, and Escape from Monkey Island -- are all from the dying breed of adventure games -- not bad titles if you're into games like this. I actually have 2 of the 3 I mentioned, and am eying this one when it drops under $20 -- they're by no means for mainstream gamers.

#37 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:19 PM

im thinking of getting this on the PC is it worth it?

The story and voice-acting is absolutely fantastic. The puzzles are kind of easy so far, though -- easier than the original TLJ's, to say the least.

The action elements -- namely, the fighting elements -- should be thrown across the room. They are too simplistic and the AI is non-existant.

The 6-CD US version doesn't come w/ StarForce (thankfully, different publisher there -- Aspyr published it here), though the Euro version and the Limited DVD Edition you can get directly from FunCom both contain SF.

#38 mkelehan

mkelehan

Xbox Live Arcade Fiend

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:36 PM

The puzzles are never difficult. I mean, I've played a lot of adventure games, so maybe that should be taken into account... but most adventures give me a few puzzles that leave me scratching my head for a while, and this didn't. There's one part where you need to watch someone do something and then repeat it, but that doesn't work until you actually use the LOOK command on the person doing the thing, and that had me for a while... but that's not a matter of the puzzle being difficult, so much as a matter of my telling the game what I want in the right way.

Now, as for the combat, it's necessary for the story, but it's really just a formality. Nobody here will have the slightest problem with it. I would've preferred scripted fights with QTEs, but whatever.

#39 SuperJedi

SuperJedi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:19 AM

I wish this game is still selling on Amazon for like $14.99 or something low . :(

Where can I find it NEW for low price now?

#40 Rozz

Rozz

We Trippy Mane

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:21 AM

Holy crap, this thread is almost a year old...

#41 SuperJedi

SuperJedi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:36 AM

Yeah I need to find me a Cheap copy of Dreamfall!

#42 dyreschlock

dyreschlock

import friendly

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:58 AM

I got a copy at Blockbuster about a month ago for $20. You might have similar luck.
Games List (updated, use mozilla)
Support Lisp | Ban Cobol | Love Java

#43 arthurRWD

arthurRWD

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:00 AM

all the stores around me have had this for 17.99 for months now, I don't know if it's that strange for prices to differ in different areas

#44 Edge

Edge

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:37 AM

Ack, I always get confused when nearly-year-old threads are bumped like this and I don't notice the dates right away.

Anyway, I saw that stores are now carrying the Dreamfall: The Longest Journey Game of the Year Edition now (although I don't know why Gamestop lists the title with a 2 since it doesn't say that anywhere on the box):

http://www.gamestop....oduct_id=647036

$30 and includes the original The Longest Journey (in DVD format no less) as well as the Dreamfall soundtrack (although I don't know what tracks are included on it or how long it is).

#45 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:58 AM

Best Buy also has this in-store as well for the two pack + soundtrack.

#46 Masterkyo

Masterkyo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:54 PM

Still too much :)
"Evil is Funs"

#47 GunstarRed

GunstarRed

The Rated 'G' Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:42 PM

The Xbox version of Dreamfall was greatly underproduced, so getting it now for $20 may be better than trying to get a copy later on when it gets even harder to find. GameStop sells it "new" for $19.99 but good luck finding a non-gutted copy. But who knows, sometimes really obscure games mysteriously pop up as front row games for $5 at Best Buy so you can never tell.

I have a new sealed U.S. PC version for trade if anybody wants that one. Picked it up at the Target clearance last year and never opened it.

#48 poopdogjr

poopdogjr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:35 PM

The game is great. You just have to know what you're getting into. It's a slower paced game yes. But if you accept that and get into it, it's a great game. And it does work on 360.

For 30 bucks that Game of the Year edition is great. It's a freakin' steal. If I hadn't already bought it I would buy it again. Hell i'm pretty tempted too.

#49 expane

expane

Tappin out posers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:22 PM

The game is great. You just have to know what you're getting into. It's a slower paced game yes. But if you accept that and get into it, it's a great game. And it does work on 360.

For 30 bucks that Game of the Year edition is great. It's a freakin' steal. If I hadn't already bought it I would buy it again. Hell i'm pretty tempted too.

And the game doesn't really "pick up" until after you get out of the first "level"

I was a lil bored with it,(although the voice and graphics are very nice for an XBOX1 game) but once I got out of the first level it really gets interesting.

Its 100% pure adventure game w/ some bogus "action" sequences that are laughably basic, but don't ruin the game.

For instance a "stealth" part where you have to avoid stepping on broken glass or a "fighting" part with basic auto lock on button mashing.

I got it for $16 MINT from gamefly a few months back
Posted Image

#50 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:23 PM

well if we're going to resurrect a dead thread we may as well do it right ...
$17.99 - USED
http://www.ebgames.c...oduct_id=950928

#51 Run4Fun

Run4Fun

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:09 PM

http://www.steamgame...ppId=6300&cc=--

Steam has the hookup, offering a The Longest Journey + Dreamfall download package for $24.95. A freakin' steal, and you don't have to try to find it or mess with a dozen CDs.

#52 Edge

Edge

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:52 PM

Hmm, then you lose out on the soundtrack CD though, right? And it seems a lot more convenient installing both the games from each of their DVDs than messing with them on Steam (10 gigs...ugh, that's a long time to download)

#53 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:15 AM

My blockbuster has a used XB copy for 14.99.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#54 eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Mafia Goombah

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:54 PM

Amazon.com for 9.97

http://www.amazon.co.../vivafusion-20/

#55 dimeadz

dimeadz

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:55 PM

I just bought this game like two weeks ago at Game Crazy new for $19.99.
I see that this game is going for twice that new on Amazon and Ebay. I haven't even opened it. I thought about selling it to put the funds toward a 360 game instead.

#56 expane

expane

Tappin out posers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:46 PM

I just bought this game like two weeks ago at Game Crazy new for $19.99.
I see that this game is going for twice that new on Amazon and Ebay. I haven't even opened it. I thought about selling it to put the funds toward a 360 game instead.

IMO its better than 90% of the 360 / PS3 games on the market
Posted Image

#57 n2Deepeth

n2Deepeth

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:18 AM

Does the game of the year edition (the $30 two-pack w/ soundtrack) have Starforce? I know the Limited Edition does, but I'm not sure about the GOTY edition.

#58 CaoPi

CaoPi

KOEI fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:02 AM

not cheap enough...

MY TRADE LIST ------ (pictures included)