Wii Virtual Console Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 PenguinMaster

PenguinMaster

Sacrilicious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:04 PM

I have no problem paying $5 for Super Mario 3 or Mega Man 2, $8 for Sonic 2 or Pilotwings, or $10 for Mario 64 or Star Fox 64. Obviously, many games on those systems arwen't going to be worth the price. But I doubt most of them will even be available, and if they are, I'd likely not buy them. $20 for the NES Classic ports on the GBA wasinsane. $5-10 for other classic stuff is A-ok with me. If you don't want to pay that price, don't. I'm sure free downloads will be bundled with games from here until the end of the Wii's life.

I'm waiting for a clearance on "last year's" Wii points card designs to stock up. ;)

You'd pay $5 for Mega Man 2 and $8 for Sonic 2 when you can get collections with a bunch of games in those series for close to $10? Now that's just fucking stupid. Even if you only had a Wii you could buy the collections for GC.

Digital distribution is the death of the preservation of the arts.

Game Collection: http://backloggery.c...r=penguinmaster
Blu-ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...action=overview

#32 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2006 - 01:39 PM

wow, i cant believe people are so uptight about the price. granted, some games are available on compilation discs for cheaper. but there are a hell of a lot of other games that arent. toe jam and earl (my first vc purchase for sure) and zombies ate my neighbors come to mind. not to mention harder to find games that go for quite a bit more than 5-10 bucks.

besides, the bottom line is joe consumer will be more than happy to dish out the few bucks for the games,so the price point will likely stay that way. and as for price drops, why on earth would their be price drops for a vc game, theres no production cost, they dont need to dump units off or anything like when a game doesnt sell. as long as vc games sell well on a whole, i dont think theyll mind that not many people are downloading one particular game.

Posted Image

#33 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:02 PM

I guess it's a matter of what you think Nintendo's aim is with the VC.

If you think that Nintendo wants to blow a big friendly kiss to established gamers who are looking to track down rare titles or established first party hits, then I can see how the existing price schedule would make sense to you. In this sense of the VC, the VC is mostly a delivery system to get old gamers the old games on a new console.

If you think that Nintendo's intested in using the VC as a way to sell old games to new gamers who are unaware of these games' existence, then I think that Nintendo's pricing may put off some of these potential customers. In this sense of the VC, the VC is a way to instaneously expand the universe of possible games to all gamers (new and old).

We old-guard gamers may know that Super Mario World is an undeniable classic and may not bat an eyelash at whatever the hell Nintendo charges, but it may be a tougher sale to someone who couldn't tell SMW from Burgertime and just wants to download a "cute" game to play. I'm not trying to argue that if somebody tried to sell me Mother via the VC for $8 I wouldn't snatch it up in a heartbeat. I'm arguing that for the general customer Nintendo is going for in the Wii/Blue Ocean way of thinking, there's not going to be a huge amount of name recognition for most titles, and the pricing is going to have to be inviting enough to get people to impulse buy the way they do on iTunes. I don't think that 5/8/10 is going to generate a huge amount of impulse buys from people who just want to try out something new (that is, non-gamers or new gamers).

Again, I guess it all comes back to the intent of Nintendo with the VC. I'm not trying to dichotomize things, but it just appears to be the nature of responses to the VC: people seem to see it as a business or a way for gamers to get old games.

#34 Eastsidecracker

Eastsidecracker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:40 PM

Its going to be something like 500-nes, 800-snes, 1000-n64 right?
If so, ill probably just by snes and n64 games, mainly if they have a multiplayer.

#35 chargeup45

chargeup45

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:15 PM

Its going to be something like 500-nes, 800-snes, 1000-n64 right?
If so, ill probably just by snes and n64 games, mainly if they have a multiplayer.

I think that's the structure.

#36 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:06 PM

I guess it's a matter of what you think Nintendo's aim is with the VC.

If you think that Nintendo wants to blow a big friendly kiss to established gamers who are looking to track down rare titles or established first party hits, then I can see how the existing price schedule would make sense to you. In this sense of the VC, the VC is mostly a delivery system to get old gamers the old games on a new console.

If you think that Nintendo's intested in using the VC as a way to sell old games to new gamers who are unaware of these games' existence, then I think that Nintendo's pricing may put off some of these potential customers. In this sense of the VC, the VC is a way to instaneously expand the universe of possible games to all gamers (new and old).

We old-guard gamers may know that Super Mario World is an undeniable classic and may not bat an eyelash at whatever the hell Nintendo charges, but it may be a tougher sale to someone who couldn't tell SMW from Burgertime and just wants to download a "cute" game to play. I'm not trying to argue that if somebody tried to sell me Mother via the VC for $8 I wouldn't snatch it up in a heartbeat. I'm arguing that for the general customer Nintendo is going for in the Wii/Blue Ocean way of thinking, there's not going to be a huge amount of name recognition for most titles, and the pricing is going to have to be inviting enough to get people to impulse buy the way they do on iTunes. I don't think that 5/8/10 is going to generate a huge amount of impulse buys from people who just want to try out something new (that is, non-gamers or new gamers).

Again, I guess it all comes back to the intent of Nintendo with the VC. I'm not trying to dichotomize things, but it just appears to be the nature of responses to the VC: people seem to see it as a business or a way for gamers to get old games.

I don't know about everyone else but I'm concerned about the price of the TG-16 games most of all. However on the Nintendo systems note, if some of the SNES games I want get released $8 will be a bargain but those will be few and far between. If 7th Saga and 7th Saga 2: Holy Ark gets translated as well as Treasure Hunter G and some of Square and Enix's other notable properties for the SNES I'll be happy, well and Mother released for the NES. I don't know if Square or Enix is willing to get off their asses and put the money into translating those games unfortunately but there's a decent backlibrary. Besides what I mentioned there's Romancing Saga 1-3, Bahamut Lagoon, Dragon Quest V-VI and Secret Of Mana 2. I may have even missed a few. Easy extra money for EnixSquare, they don't have to worry about cost of production for most of the non-FF games and I think they'd be surprised how many the already translated non-FF properties will sell for $8. I'd even go so far as to say most Old School RPGers would pay $10 for the new to the U.S. games translated, I know I would. Personally it annoys me we've gotten all these properties midway through and Square just shrugs off the original itinerations of them unless it's FF and ONE time they didn't give us a choice of whether we'd like the original, COUGHFF3DSCOUGH.
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#37 chodax

chodax

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2006 - 03:33 AM

btw thread is spelled wrong in the titles

#38 pop311

pop311

Posted 02 October 2006 - 03:49 AM

btw thread is spelled wrong in the titles

sorry. didn't notice

#39 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:33 PM

I've noticed in other threads that people have expectations that the VC games will be upgraded somehow for online play.

Where did that come from? I know Nintendo said they'd trick out a few titles, maybe let you play SMB3 with Yoshi or something, but I don't ever recall reading anything about VC games being online capable. Maybe these expectations are an attempt to justify the price, or maybe they're just wishful thinking. Or maybe Matt C. said it in one of his timely commentaries.

#40 ma

ma

Rattled By The Rush

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:14 PM

Does anyone know if you can use a Gamecube controller on the VC, or do you have to use the "classic" controller?

Between my gamecube controllers and my Hori gamepad, I really see no need to buy a classic controller, and I hope they don't make me.

#41 chargeup45

chargeup45

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:55 AM

I've noticed in other threads that people have expectations that the VC games will be upgraded somehow for online play.

Where did that come from? I know Nintendo said they'd trick out a few titles, maybe let you play SMB3 with Yoshi or something, but I don't ever recall reading anything about VC games being online capable. Maybe these expectations are an attempt to justify the price, or maybe they're just wishful thinking. Or maybe Matt C. said it in one of his timely commentaries.

It's wishful thinking. Live Arcade has it, so I figure Nintendo could do it... but will they? Probably not.

#42 regisphilbi0

regisphilbi0

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:59 PM

The only thing I really see myself using the VC for is N64 games. There are a bunch of games for that system that I never got to play and would be more than happy to pay $10 for. See Paper Mario, Super Mario 64 (I played it a bunch at friend's houses but never owned it), Mario Kart 64( Same thing- lots at friends but never owned), etc.
Posted Image

#43 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:14 PM

The one thing no one’s mentioned yet is-how does the DRM work? If it ties it to one console, or requires you to be connected to the internet all the time, then I won’t buy a single game. If there’s some semi-reasonable system that at the least lets you authorize different consoles (ie only requiring a net connection when you authorize a new system, as with Apple), then I’ll probably go along with it, as I trust Nintendo to not screw that up (my X-Box Live account already disappeared from non-use).

Nintendo has to convince me that these games I buy are MINE, and I will be able to keep playing them on a different Wii if mine breaks (unlikely, I know, it’s Nintendo, but still), and keep playing them on the “Wii 2”, etc.

If the DRM is reasonable, then I’m going to be buying a TON of games from this. I thought the final prices were $4/6/8 for the NES/SNES/N64? Well, in any case, I’ll gladly pay $4 or $5 for NES game I want! I remember when these games cost $50 new after all. There’s TONS of games for these systems I wish I owned, and really want to play again.

I’m bored by a lot of the initial lineup I’m sure. (I love Super Mario Bros. 3, but come on, I already own it on the NES, SNES, and Gameboy Advance). But I’m excited by the chance to get more obscure games.

I can’t wait to own Bonk’s Adventure again! I had the first two on my Duo, but don’t have them anymore, and never owned the third. Can’t wait to play them. TONS of games like that.

And if this is successful, I bet we’ll see original development. I’d love new “SNES” games or whatever.

But it does all hinge on the DRM. If the system is bad for consumers, I hope it fails miserably. I certainly won’t use it unless it’s better than Microsoft’s system, and at least as good as Apple’s.
I’m kind of disappointed they didn’t just use proprietary memory cards, and have the protection be that you can’t copy the games, only move them using the Wii. That would be less of a pain, and more consumer-friendly than using an open format like SD, but loading it up with all kinds of DRM which may end up making these games more of a rental than a real purchase.
(The files on the proprietary memory cards would of course have DRM, but it would be completly transparent to the user, and wouldn't require an internet connection to move them to a different console, etc.-Once you downloaded a game, it would be yours to do with what you want in terms of playing it on different systems, even selling it if you wanted to.)

#44 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:48 PM

It's already been confirmed that the games are tied to your account, not the hardware.

http://virtualgamer....egion-free-wii/
• Will games downloaded from the Virtual Console store be tied to an account like Xbox Live or a one-time-only download like iTunes? Tied to an account. Kaplan discussed a scenario where a player's Wii was broken or destroyed, but would be able to re-download titles they had previously bought to a new Wii machine. Because my left leg was burning from an accidental Zippo oil spill, I neglected to ask if a user would be able to log into friends' Wiis and play their Virtual Console downloads away from their home machine.

Posted Image

#45 botticus

botticus

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:08 PM

It's already been confirmed that the games are tied to your account, not the hardware.

http://virtualgamer....egion-free-wii/
• Will games downloaded from the Virtual Console store be tied to an account like Xbox Live or a one-time-only download like iTunes? Tied to an account. Kaplan discussed a scenario where a player's Wii was broken or destroyed, but would be able to re-download titles they had previously bought to a new Wii machine. Because my left leg was burning from an accidental Zippo oil spill, I neglected to ask if a user would be able to log into friends' Wiis and play their Virtual Console downloads away from their home machine.

And for anyone who cares, the answer to that question is no, as there's no "logging on" to the Wii. You're just on it, pure and simple.

#46 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:18 PM

Thanks guys! I hadn't seen that. In fact, what I'd read said almost the opposite.

Hmm...I'm wondering though if that means you can't move your stuff to a new console, you actually have to redownload it (bad if it's no longer available, or if they shut off the service). But at least it's not totally tied to it...

Which means I'll probably be spending a LOT of money on it! Now they just need a VGA adapter...

#47 TurboChickenMan

TurboChickenMan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:57 AM

I can assure you that there will be no titles upgraded for online play, because if even a few titles were upgraded, people would start demanding that they all go online, which would be way too difficult to do.

The only real reason anybody cares about the VC is the impossible hope of online Goldeneye. Just forget about it.
Notpron!!!

#48 regisphilbi0

regisphilbi0

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:15 AM

So here's a question: Could you buy a VC game, save it on an SD card and then play it at your friends house? Anybody know if that would work?
Posted Image

#49 maigoyume

maigoyume

The Lost Dreamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:38 AM

So here's a question: Could you buy a VC game, save it on an SD card and then play it at your friends house? Anybody know if that would work?

i don't believe that would work, since it is tied to the users account, besides nintendo would lose quite a bit of money if one person bought the game and shared it with ALL his friends (or if someone were to put it online you could just load it onto the SD card w/o even playing), however you do raise a good question
Posted Image

It's cheap to ship to/from Canada. Please take a look at Magiic's Magiical Shipping Guide.
For info on Canadian Customs and Tax exemption check Here,
Here and Here
Currently Playing:
Spoiler

#50 Z-Saber

Z-Saber

No longer a CAG regular

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:34 PM

The only real reason anybody cares about the VC is the impossible hope of online Goldeneye. Just forget about it.

You forgot your [/untrue] tag.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/z_saber
Origin: Z_Saber_64

#51 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:15 PM

You forgot your [/untrue] tag.

Yeah, really. I don't care about Goldeneye at all (if it were a few bucks, maybe). And I hate deathmatches.

I am excited about the virtual console though.

#52 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:19 PM

Seriouly, people, go play Goldeneye right now on an N64. We'll wait....

Not as good as you remember, is it? Time hasn't treated that game well at all.

Posted Image

#53 Z-Saber

Z-Saber

No longer a CAG regular

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:33 PM

Goldeneye is still an awesome game. I don't play it very often, but when I occasionally do, it's mostly an enjoyable experience.

What I was pointing is though I am excited about the Wii VC, I know that Goldeneye will never be released on it, much less with multiplayer. However, I'm still excited about the Virtual Console.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/z_saber
Origin: Z_Saber_64

#54 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:41 PM

Goldeneye is still an awesome game. I don't play it very often, but when I occasionally do, it's mostly an enjoyable experience.

What I was pointing is though I am excited about the Wii VC, I know that Goldeneye will never be released on it, much less with multiplayer. However, I'm still excited about the Virtual Console.

To each his own. :) No doubt it for a while was one of the best console FPS games available, but even that's not saying much. The Wii may be the first console that proves to me that the FPS genre should exist outside a keyboard and mouse.

I wonder... if I buy Mario 64 for the VC, will I actually beat it? I've started that game so many times and gotten far but never just done the deed.

Posted Image

#55 elwood731

elwood731

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:31 PM

I wonder if we'll see Zelda: OOT Remix (or whatever it's called) that was released in Japan and later here on the compilation disc. I wonder the same about the F-Zero X DD expansion disc.

But really, I'm more interested in the obscure systems and games. I think those may end up being their biggest sellers. The Marios and Zeldas will all sell tons, but what about all the TG-16 and Neo-Geo games most never got to play? I'd even buy some C64 games simply because I haven't had the opportunity to play those in years.

I also wonder why we haven't heard Atari about the Jaguar yet? I mean, there's at least...two games worth playing, but AvP hasn't held up at all. ;)