The Wombat Journal

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#91 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:49 PM

What I hate is that the minute I pop Gears of War into my 360 with the sole purpose of doing single player I get bombarded with 20 friend invites wanting me to do multiplayer.

Thats why I made "Rule Number One"

#92 Bazz

Bazz

SamuelElbaz.Blogspot.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:53 PM

What I hate is that the minute I pop Gears of War into my 360 with the sole purpose of doing single player I get bombarded with 20 friend invites wanting me to do multiplayer.

Haha that happens to me. I don't know why it doesn't say playing single player game. I beat it today anyways so I don't think I'll be worrying about that to much anymore though.

I need 1 more sign up if anyone could help please. http://www.yourfree360games.com/index.php?ref=244985
SamuelElbaz.Blogspot.com-Do me a favor and check it out. Would love to hear your feedback;)

#93 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:56 PM

it does say you are playing single player, but it doesn't say if you're playing COOP or not which i think they should have put in.
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#94 Roufuss

Roufuss

is now a coupon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:59 PM

Thats why I made "Rule Number One"

Ohhh... I see it now, it was kind of hidden in the post there ;) Rule Number One was like three rules combined into a giant super rule.

What I really wish they would do would be to send a reason why you're declining the invite... just a list of pre-packaged responses:

- Sorry, I can't play, I'm doing single player
- Sorry, I don't have the time to play right now
- Sorry, I'm currently involved in another game at the moment

Things like that. I feel so bad declining an invite because it makes me feel like an asshole because it dosen't give a reason.

I called my lady friend last night and said my buddy had to beat off on my chest, she is kinda pissed at me, but it was the best idea I had all night, and I stand by it.

Posted Image

#95 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

it does say you are playing single player, but it doesn't say if you're playing COOP or not which i think they should have put in.

Agreed, maybe they'll update that.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#96 jollydwarf

jollydwarf

America's #1 Poster

• CAGiversary!

I always thought that Achievement badges were the modern-day equivalent of those Activision patches from the Atari 2600 era, so making (at least some of) them 'wearable' in the form of gamerpics would be a perfect application.

Things like that. I feel so bad declining an invite because it makes me feel like an asshole because it dosen't give a reason.

But that's not on you, the invitee. That's on the inviter to gracefully accept your declining their request, without getting caught up in the possible reason(s) and taking it personally. I ask the impossible, I know.

Hey, it's not like you're telling them "I've got to dry my hair tonight...again"!
"I like whipped cream a lot. I'll put whipped cream on anything."--Jessica Alba

Backlog at CRITICAL MASS...Backlog at CRITICAL MASS...Backlog at...

"What, you're still here? The post's over. Log off. Shoo! Shoo!"

#97 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:00 PM

But that's not on you, the invitee. That's on the inviter to gracefully accept your declining their request, without getting caught up in the possible reason(s) and taking it personally. I ask the impossible, I know.

Hey, it's not like you're telling them "I've got to dry my hair tonight...again"!

Exactly, you should not have to feel guilty, it is just understood that its just a "not right now" kind of thing.

Also I updated the earlier post with numbered rules.

#98 radjago

radjago

Long-time CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 01:43 PM

He takes great pride in having successfully completed every Legend of Zelda game for every major console and his secret shame is that he has never finished a Final Fantasy game.

What is your standing on the handheld Zeldas (Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, and Minnish Cap)?

And I've never finished a FF game either. There's no shame there.

#99 CYRiX

CYRiX

Posted 22 November 2006 - 05:19 PM

theres like 12 ff games as oppose to like the 5-6 zelda games.
I decided against buying some things I bidded on a lowball auction. Didn't know it'd be a big problem. Sue me.

#100 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:16 PM

theres like 12 ff games as oppose to like the 5-6 zelda games.

yes but FF games put me to sleep, ;).

#101 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:28 PM

Dear Wombat,

I happened across a Wii, an extra remote, an extra nunchuk, and Trauma Center today during lunch. What should I do now that I've bought it?

A). Sell it to my friend who is looking for one for the price I paid
B). Keep it for myself
C). Give it to mrs. shipwreck for Christmas after I get my name engraved in it
D). Other

Sincerely,
Wii've Got A Dilemma
Posted Image

#102 Roufuss

Roufuss

is now a coupon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:24 PM

If you think you're going to get alot of playtime out of it, keep it and play it.

If you think you're friend is going to enjoy it alot more than you, sell it to him. Didn't you pay with Gamerush credit? It'll be like turning that credit into straight up cash. You'd probably be making his day, as well.

I called my lady friend last night and said my buddy had to beat off on my chest, she is kinda pissed at me, but it was the best idea I had all night, and I stand by it.

Posted Image

#103 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:37 PM

Dear Wombat,

I happened across a Wii, an extra remote, an extra nunchuk, and Trauma Center today during lunch. What should I do now that I've bought it?

A). Sell it to my friend who is looking for one for the price I paid
B). Keep it for myself
C). Give it to mrs. shipwreck for Christmas after I get my name engraved in it
D). Other

Sincerely,
Wii've Got A Dilemma

Dear Wii've,

Selling it to friend without making a profit is very nice thing to do, if you won't regret it after he tells you how much fun he is having and you still do not have one. Keeping for yourself may be the selfish approach if you think Mrs. Dilemma wants one, you also run into the problem of "what if she bought one for you", then you may the makings of an O.Henry story on your hands. I say be honest with your wife, if she wants it give it to her as an early gift and then it can be Christmas full of Wii stuff for both of you.

Superman's Pal,

Wombat

#104 Bazz

Bazz

SamuelElbaz.Blogspot.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 10:41 PM

I will go with B or C as long as it's in your house you and your wife will have tons of fun playing it.

I need 1 more sign up if anyone could help please. http://www.yourfree360games.com/index.php?ref=244985
SamuelElbaz.Blogspot.com-Do me a favor and check it out. Would love to hear your feedback;)

#105 Richlough

Richlough

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:48 AM

Please don't let this thread turn into an advice column .

Dear Mowby , ... It would be pretty gay .

card.pngl1.gif

#106 CYRiX

CYRiX

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:14 AM

well shipwreck isnt just a random member so I think he can ask him something.
I decided against buying some things I bidded on a lowball auction. Didn't know it'd be a big problem. Sue me.

#107 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2006 - 03:22 PM

Since there is no show this week, I think I will make a real effort to add to this thread throughout the week, the fact that I'm just not ready to go back to work after the long weekend would be another reason.

Some updated impressions on the Wii:

Now that I have had a chance to really play it, I will say that it is a great machine. Mii's and the Mii trading system are a hoot, harmless fun that if anyone tells you they don't like is a mean spirited bastard.

LOZ:TP great game. love the game. may still be to early to say but part of me likes Wind Waker better, may be more of personal preference thing. I just feel like there is too much time spent in-between dungeons and alot of the time spent is a chore, collecting tears is a snooze-fest, the wolf is too. On the flip side the dungeons in the game are the best of series and make the trip worth it. Also the controls do grow on you and feel natural after awhile, but it took me sometime. I wish I had component cables, I feel like I am missing out by not having them.

I popped MUA for the 360 back in over the weekend as well, having not played it for about a month. I really like that game, it holds up well on a second playing with new characters. That game is far from perfect, but it really is everything I expected it to be, so I can't say I am disappointed with it, in fact it may be one of my fav games of the year, but we will probably get to that list next week.

#108 Bazz

Bazz

SamuelElbaz.Blogspot.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2006 - 03:52 PM

Since there is no show this week, I think I will make a real effort to add to this thread throughout the week, the fact that I'm just not ready to go back to work after the long weekend would be another reason.

Some updated impressions on the Wii:

Now that I have had a chance to really play it, I will say that it is a great machine. Mii's and the Mii trading system are a hoot, harmless fun that if anyone tells you they don't like is a mean spirited bastard.

LOZ:TP great game. love the game. may still be to early to say but part of me likes Wind Waker better, may be more of personal preference thing. I just feel like there is too much time spent in-between dungeons and alot of the time spent is a chore, collecting tears is a snooze-fest, the wolf is too. On the flip side the dungeons in the game are the best of series and make the trip worth it. Also the controls do grow on you and feel natural after awhile, but it took me sometime. I wish I had component cables, I feel like I am missing out by not having them.

This Zelda is way better then the windwaker. You'll see tons of going around collecting stuff and doing side quest later on in the game. It really just takes a while untill all that stuff comes together. I do have to say the Component cables really does a world of wonders for the Tv and I really hope you get them soon so you can see the difference.

#109 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:04 PM

I kinda agree with Wombat. I love the graphics (ya it's no 360/PS3... whatever) but more so the artistic style of the game much more than WW. The Wolf part of the game is good in theory... awful in practice. I despise going places when I know I'll have to transform again.
Currently Playing: Borderlands 2 (360), Black Ops (360)

Posted Image

#110 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:09 PM

Also the controls do grow on you and feel natural after awhile, but it took me sometime.

Okay, so a few days ago you said that the GameCube controller would be better for Zelda. Do you still feel that to be true or do you think the Wii control scheme offers a better pre-pubescent elf-boy saving the world experience? Inquiring sailors want to know.
Posted Image

#111 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:13 PM

Okay, so a few days ago you said that the GameCube controller would be better for Zelda. Do you still feel that to be true or do you think the Wii control scheme offers a better pre-pubescent elf-boy saving the world experience? Inquiring sailors want to know.

Now I am at the "it probably wouldnt make a difference either way" stage of using the Wiimote. Hows that for an answer.

#112 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:34 PM

I found myself, especially early on desperately trying to figure out which button to press to swing my sword when I got jumped by an enemy.

Probably my biggest problem right now is not being used to the 2 triggers (Z and B) and I am always pushing the wrong one.
Currently Playing: Borderlands 2 (360), Black Ops (360)

Posted Image

#113 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:25 PM

OK so here is the plan I will stick to my daily updates until the next show, and I will continue my now internal struggle with LOZ:TP. Why the struggle, I love the game its a great game, yet it doesn't feel as epic as I would have liked it to be. It feels very much like Ocarina, maybe alittle too much, would new characters have been a bad idea? I love main theme of Zelda, but do all the other themes need to be same songs from 10 years ago? And hairy nippled Gorons are just gross and unnecessary.

And now some good; the puzzles are really amazing, they put alot of thought into the level design of the dungeons and I cannot praise them enough.

Hopefully I will get a chance to play more tonight, my goal is to have a running Zelda diary that when complete may serve as first ever real-time review of a videogame

#114 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:36 PM

Any very frustrating dungeons like the Water Temple yet?

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#115 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:38 PM

Any very frustrating dungeons like the Water Temple yet?

I am in the Water dungeon currently, went to sleep just after finding the big key, this one isnt as frustrating as the prevoius, cant vouch for the boss battle yet though

#116 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2006 - 04:20 PM

Well we are taking to a short break in Zelda running diary, (finished the water dungeon, woot) to congratulate Mrs. Wombat's promotion at work.

Hooray for my wife, she's the best at what she does!

#117 The-Bavis

The-Bavis

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:31 AM

Although I am not even as far along as you, Wombat, I am also pretty split on the controller's use in this game as well. At least I was until I reached a slothful nirvana. I realized as I was laying flat on my back on my couch, cord draped across my body and each half of the controller at each side that I had never been so comfortable while playing a video game in my life. What is often touted as an active control scheme for games such as Wii Sports has become the ultimate lazy-man's dream controller for myself. Now, to just find a way to minimize all of that twitching to swing Link's sword...
Posted Image

#118 Qslugs

Qslugs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:21 PM

I just heard something really funy in one of the previous podcasts...

Podcast 34 about 34 min in you guys are poking fun of Viva Pinata :)

I feel this needs addressed in the next podcast. Its quite funny actaually, you poke fun at it back at E3, and now you broadcast live from you're pinata garden.

Btw, I am typing this from my pinata garden. heh

#119 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:40 PM

Quick post, been having an "interesting" week so I needed to take a break from Zelda TP for a few days, maybe I'll get a chance to play tonight.

But anyway, I walking along Houston St in NYC when I see someone that looks familiar, but not someone I know. I get closer and it's Shoe from EGM. So of course I introduce myself and of course he has no idea who I am, but he did say "cheapassgamer yeah i know them" I did give him an official Wombat Business card which he put in his leather Nintendo wallet.

So thats my story for today

#120 Outlaw

Outlaw

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:35 AM

Greetings from sunny South Afrrica Wombat and all the CAG Members :)

Have only recently started listening to you guys CAGcast(Episode 50-present) I must say, it is an amazing show and you and CheapyD provide an awesome show time and time again. All the best for your endeavours into becoming a professional Videogame journalist, am sure you will make it happen. Am now a loyal fan of the CAGcast, and cannot wait for the next episode.

Cheers mate :)