Photo
- - - - -

Anyone think Nintendo will drop a bomb come release..

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 epobirs

epobirs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:02 PM

The problem with this thread is that the premise is based on a perception that never had any basis in reality. The price of the N64 ws announced by Nintendo many weeks before launch and remained unchanged. (The price of the PS1 didn't come down to $200 untill well after the N64 launch.)

Would they sell faster at a lower price? Sure but Nintendo doesn't expect to have enough supply to meet that level of demand. They've already arranged, as part of the Wii's modest performance level, to have what may be the highest launch supply ever. But that doesn't mean they intend to flood the stores with inventory. The PR of selling everything down to bare shelves on the day of launch is far too valuable. They have a pretty good network in place for tracking inventory at the big retail chains. They can manage daily deliveries to their regional warehouses if the demand is there.

Otherwise, they can just sit back and let the market take its time and not run three shifts at their manufacturing facility, which means reduced labor costs. If the demand is there to keep three shifts going the payoff is worthwhile.

The Wii is poised to sell for a very low price but Nintendo has a good chunk of capital from the R&D and launch costs to recoup. They'll try to make all of that back this Xmas seaon and look like gods in the eyes of their investors.
If I thought I needed to get out in the sunshine I'd play Boktai.

#32 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:44 PM

In other words, buy Nintendo stock now.
Currently Playing: Borderlands 2 (360), Black Ops (360)

Posted Image

#33 Antiques Roadshow

Antiques Roadshow

Dick Tracy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:17 PM

I wish the "bomb" would be that they're kidding about Wii Sports.

Krumm_walk.gifOblina_walk.gifIckus_walk.gif

I'm looking for SNES games. PM me.

#34 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:31 PM

I wish the "bomb" would be that they're kidding about Wii Sports.

Not to be curt, but whats your beef with a "free" game? I've played Wii Sports and while its not something I would pick up at launch its certainly a fun diversion and a good intro for the Wiimote.

I cant imagine Nintendo including anything other than Wario Ware that would have the same ease of use and universal appeal that Nintendo is shooting for with the non-common gamer. Unfortunately, Wario Ware sells itself.

#35 Antiques Roadshow

Antiques Roadshow

Dick Tracy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:51 PM

Not to be curt, but whats your beef with a "free" game? I've played Wii Sports and while its not something I would pick up at launch its certainly a fun diversion and a good intro for the Wiimote.

I cant imagine Nintendo including anything other than Wario Ware that would have the same ease of use and universal appeal that Nintendo is shooting for with the non-common gamer. Unfortunately, Wario Ware sells itself.

Because the game is disposable, and can't be compared to the choice of packaging Super Mario Bros. / Duckhunt and Super Mario World with the NES and SNES.

And saying it's "free" is subjective.

#36 botticus

botticus

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:55 PM

Because the game is disposable, and can't be compared to the choice of packaging Super Mario Bros. / Duckhunt and Super Mario World with the NES and SNES.

It's free from the standpoint that they wouldn't have had a different MSRP without the game.

#37 Ikohn4ever

Ikohn4ever

No Women, No Children

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:03 PM

give me a free vc game and Id be happy
"Men have become the tools of their tools." - Thoreau
Smash Code
1805-1831-0940 Ikohn
Posted ImagePosted Image DVDs My Games

#38 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:55 AM

No one is claiming its on par with SMB or SMW, but it is indeed "free" or its included in the price because you wont be able to walk up to the clerk at Target and ask them to remove Wii Sports and get a discount on the package.

But its thanks to Sega and Sony you will probably never see a launch pack in like SMB or SMW. They successfully launched and in Sony's case dominated the market and guaranteed a 3rd party company a game sale with the system.

You cannot blame Nintendo for taking the same lead that their competitors did with regards to including a game with their systems. Also, with the Wii Nintendo “appears” to be refocusing some attention on garnering 3rd party support. So they bundle in a glorified tech demo in order to get people used to the control system and let the customers pick a second game. Most will take Zelda, but already a fair number are looking at the releases from Ubisoft, EA, and Sega.

#39 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:04 AM

I guess I would argue that point.

I understand what you mean, that the depth and lastability of SMB & SMW will in hindsight exceed Wii Sports. That may very well be true (though I could see Wii Sports being a staple at LAN/game parties. A few beers and Wii Tennis & Bowling? Yes.) But I believe you're missing the point of the pack-in.

The Pack-in is meant to show what a system is capable of doing. When Super Mario Bros. hit, the Atari owners' jaws all hit the floor. It wasn't something that had been done on a home TV console, ever. Graphically it was impressive, but the scope and seeming size of the game blew away the many one-screen games that had existed before it.

Super Mario World was more or less the first game to start the "graphic whoring" trend that still goes on till this day. SMW boasted a color pallete that put every NES game and Genesis games at the time to shame. It proved that the SNES had power under the hood, and Nintendo could make amazing games and that the system was a force to be reckoned with--and would prove all that to be true in the following years.

So SMB showed what was in store for gaming, as did SMW. To follow suit, the N64 should've had Mario 64 as a pack-in, as the 3D platformer was about as mindblowing as things came in that day. The Cube's lack of packin makes sense in this line of thinking because, if we're honest with outselves, nothing has changed this generation save for smoother graphics and crisper gameplay.

But now, like with the NES and the SNES, Nintendo needs to make a statement. They need to show what the heck this messed-up looking controller is for and what it can do--even if it's just a taste. Is it a tech demo? Maybe, but so was Duck Hunt and I remember having endless fun with that.

Once again, Nintendo's not the loving Grandpa looking out for your good. They're a company seeking to make money. Now, more than ever, Nintendo has to prove their philosophy to the mass market, and thus Wii Sports is the only first party title that makes sense to bundle in with the console. Zelda may be a better, longer game, but Wii Sports is Nintendo's new philosophy on a disc.

Posted Image

#40 Enemy15

Enemy15

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:26 AM

I don't think we'd get a $200 price...but I'd like a extra wiimote for those that buy it on launch day ;)

#41 b3b0p

b3b0p

Where's r0ckst34dy?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:41 AM

When one says demo, it makes it sound incomplete. Do we actually know for fact that Wii Sports is a demo? Has Nintendo actually come out and stated such?

If one can play a full 18 holes of golf, 9 innings of a baseball game, a full tennis match, or a complete game of the other sports offered in Wii Sports in 1 or 2 player, then I would consider Wii Sports slightly more then a demo. More along the lines of an actual full game, but that is just me. Electroplankton is sufficiently less.

Perhaps one of the reasons for Wii Sports as a pack in is to show off what the Wii is capable of and what really makes is much different then the traditional button mashing console.

#42 the_gloaming

the_gloaming

this is the gloaming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:51 AM

I work in sales, and one thing you learn very quickly is to not oversell your product. Once you hook the customer, you make the sale, quick. You don't want to throw in extra information, or change prices last second, or anything like that, because it makes the customer start thinking again. If you already have the sale, why make them think about it any further? All it does is open up the potential for them to reconsider.

Right now, the demand is pretty high for the Wii, so making any changes at the last minute may shake the customer's confidence in buying the product. I think it'd probably be a mistake.

Granted, I sell things nobody wants, so this may not really apply here, but I think it's valid for some people.
this is _the gloaming_

#43 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2006 - 02:14 AM

I really think it would hurt Nintendo if Wii is too much cheaper than PS3 and 360.

#44 Z-Saber

Z-Saber

No longer a CAG regular

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:45 AM

I am assuming you meant |= as a not equals operator, but perhaps you should use a different symbol. See entailment.

You are absolutely correct. I actually meant "!=" and even though the two look similar to me, you caught my mistake.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/z_saber
Origin: Z_Saber_64

#45 guinaevere

guinaevere

plays well with others

• Super Moderators

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:53 AM

Wii Sports is great, in particular, Tennis.

I'm in for bowling, myself.
gwensigol8.png

#46 Z-Saber

Z-Saber

No longer a CAG regular

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:03 AM

I'm in for bowling, myself.

Bowling was fun, even if it was bowling. I hate and suck at real life bowling, but I did like, though still sucked at, Wii Sports bowling.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/z_saber
Origin: Z_Saber_64

#47 Antiques Roadshow

Antiques Roadshow

Dick Tracy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:11 PM

When one says demo, it makes it sound incomplete. Do we actually know for fact that Wii Sports is a demo? Has Nintendo actually come out and stated such?

Demo is short for "demonstration", obviously -- and they used Wii Sports as a tech(nology) demo(nstration) at E3.

Perhaps one of the reasons for Wii Sports as a pack in is to show off what the Wii is capable of and what really makes is much different then the traditional button mashing console.

... and that is why it's a tech demo, much like Yoshi Touch 'n' Go, or whatever the Hell they ended up calling it.

Anyway, my gripe about the Wii being packaged with Wii Sports is because I wish there was a choice - at least - as I don't Wii Sports, and others feel the same, I've seen. Regardless, at least they're not charging us for Wii Sports, on the shelves -- that'd be the last game I'd buy.

#48 oleander

oleander

TYRANNOSAURS IN F14s!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:16 PM

You are absolutely correct. I actually meant "!=" and even though the two look similar to me, you caught my mistake.

BTW, I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm just anal. Thanks for not yelling at me (which I suppose would have been justified).

I would like to add one more thing on the topic of Wii Sports. If Nintendo had originally come out and said the Wii was going to be $250 instead of saying it would be less than $250, I think I would have been ok with that, and would now see the Wii Sports pack-in as a great bonus and be excited about it. As it is, I still feel like the Wii is less than $250 and the reason I have to pay $250 to get one is because of Wii Sports.

On the actual topic of the thread, I certainly would like them to drop the price, but it isn't going to happen. I'm still holding out hope for some free VC downloads or something like that.
:censored:

#49 blandstalker

blandstalker

I am Irrelevant Bitching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:22 PM

I don't think there are going to be any bombs dropped.

Once Nintendo decided to pack in Wii Sports, that was it. They're not going to drop the price to $200 with Wii Sports. They're also not going to make a console-only option at this point.

I think Nintendo gauged the demand for the Wii, and decided that while people would be very happy at $200, they'd still pay $250. So they chose that price point instead, and added Wii Sports as a sweetener. It worked. Some people (me included) are grumbling, but there are no widespread revolts.

I'm not particularly happy about it, but my choice is get it or wait for a drop. And this time, I don't want to wait. I have money and credit saved up, Zelda waiting for me, and whatever I'd save in the form of a price drop isn't worth the four/six/eight months it would take for it to drop $50.
Now playing: Some Game I Last Played Months Ago (DS), Ancient Game I Tried Once (PS3), Why Do I Never Update My Signature? (360), Backlog Assassins (iPad)