The latest Iwata Asks covers the Photo, Forecast, and News Channels.

http://ms.nintendo-europe.com/wii/?site=v3_05.html&l=enGB

A few key tidbits:

At present, we plan to make the Channel compatible with the MotionJPEG format. The other feature I planned to include from the start was a pixellating function for video clips. I was responsible for artistic effects on Mario Artist: Talent Studio for the Nintendo 64DD. I remembered the pixelating effect (similar to the effect used on TV to hide people's identities) we used on that, and were able to implement it into the Photo Channel quickly. I find that people respond well when I show it to them.
Another thing which people have really enjoyed is the Slide show function. This allows you to play music as the console automatically displays your pictures in turn. If you put MP3 files in your SD Card, you can have your favourite songs as background music to your Slide show.
I wanted to do something that TV can't do. So, I tried displaying the entire planet on-screen, thereby allowing the user to see the weather all around the world by spinning it with the Wii Remote.
It's wonderful to see all those weather icons spreading out across the world when you zoom out. You know at a glance what the weather's doing anywhere. You can see, for example, whether it's particularly hot in a certain part of the world.
Kawamoto: Well, there was the smooth enlarging and reduction of text size, and the pointing out of places that appear in the news.

Iwata: Using that globe again! (laughs)

Kawamoto: Yes, it's quite good fun really. That aside, we plan for this news and weather data to be updated regularly.

Iwata: This was also cause for discussion. Some people felt that it would be sufficient for the user to go to the relevant page after turning on the power, but I really felt that it was important for the news to be displayed as soon as Wii is started up. A few seconds can make a big difference when you want to know something right away.
Pretty cool stuff.

News + Weather channel functionality were practically built for Animal Crossing. I'd love to see a real-time-accurate weather option, and it would be really cool if the characters talked about actual news stories.

Hopper: "So, did you hear about what the president did today?"

Welcome to your PC of ten years ago. Except in flickery NTSC resolution. Swell.

Just ship some good games and services that directly complement those games. The rest is just wankery. My PC already does all of that in far better ways. If I'm going to be able to get my Wii online to access these data channels, what is the likelihood that I don't already have broadband because of my PC?

This is akin to the desperation features of past platforms, like the 3DO's support for Photo Cd playback or CD+G on numerous old CD-ROM platforms.

[quote name='epobirs']Welcome to your PC of ten years ago. Except in flickery NTSC resolution. Swell.

Just ship some good games and services that directly complement those games. The rest is just wankery. My PC already does all of that in far better ways. If I'm going to be able to get my Wii online to access these data channels, what is the likelihood that I don't already have broadband because of my PC?

This is akin to the desperation features of past platforms, like the 3DO's support for Photo Cd playback or CD+G on numerous old CD-ROM platforms.[/quote]

I think they're intended for old people. Old people can't use computers. I'm pretty sure that's their reasoning.

[quote name='Zoglog']meh, useless features.....[/QUOTE]

Pretty much, but not a bad warm-up project for the folks working on the Wii Connect 24 or whatever the name of the online component for the Wii is called. Got to give the grunts something on which to cut their teeth.

Also, it’s a longshot, but Nintendo might be trying to creep in the backdoor as the ubiquitous "media center/hub" that the other tech companies fantasize over. The lack of a hard drive and DVD playback are severe hindrances, but if people bite on the channel stuff, who knows what might be up Nintendo's sleeve for the 8th generation.

[quote name='Zoglog']meh, useless features.....[/QUOTE]

just curious why u even bother posting in these threads, its pretty obvious you dont like the Wii, but you continue to post about it.

[quote name='SpazX']I think they're intended for old people. Old people can't use computers. I'm pretty sure that's their reasoning.[/quote]
I don't think that's the sole reason (the channels being meant for people who don't already know how to access similar features using a PC), but it's a definite plus of including these features. It seems to me to be more about trying to improve upon that experience, and do it in such a way that (as iufoltzie began talking about) Nintendo can develop this strategy of being a television media hub - in the immediate and far future.

Natural limitations aside (web browsing on an NTSC monitor has yet to prove to be a pleasant experience), it really looks to me like Nintendo is putting some weight behind this; they're clearly trying to develop a unique and easy experience for each of these channel features. Sounds like the slideshows will be nice, then being able to right at the television be able to do some fun editing jobs that go beyond that of what most people are capable of in MS Paint, then using the pointer to browse the web might finally be the most appealing non-mouse method of doing so - especially on a television. The list of features goes on...I'm convinced that they're sincerely trying to make this more than a desperation gimmick; we're talking features that, while they seem simple, look likely to be legitimately useful and uniquely enjoyable.

Also, like iufoltzie said, this could - in the long run - very well be not much more than a stepping stone; a stepping stone for what Nintendo plans to do with their Wii Channels in the near future, and perhaps a stepping stone towards a huge new direction in the company's home console strategy as a whole. Regardless of the reason these features were constructed, I know that I'm going to have fun with them - it looks like they could be among the first to deliver what appears to me to be a worthy interactive PC-esque-but-uniquely-its-own experience on my television.

To me, that's significant. Some people may not be able to look past the limitations, nor will they be able to look past the lingering thoughts of "Well I COULD be doing it slightly more effeciently by sitting at my desk...", but I think there will be people out there that will appreciate the charm and the beauty of having one easy box with a small easy remote right on their television for playing great games and having that same box provide them with a unique method of accessing information and media content - done effectively, done easily, done cheaply, and made comfortable to virtually everyone.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']just curious why u even bother posting in these threads, its pretty obvious you dont like the Wii, but you continue to post about it.[/QUOTE]

on the contrary, i've stated many times that I am getting a Wii and I find great potential in the console. I'm just realistic about the current State of the console and these features are all things you can get on widgets or on tv.

True that old people may not be able to have computers, but they sure as hell don't have internet either if that's the case. I find it hard to believe people would buy internet service just for the Wii.

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']To me, that's significant. Some people may not be able to look past the limitations, nor will they be able to look past the lingering thoughts of "Well I COULD be doing it slightly more effeciently by sitting at my desk...", but I think there will be people out there that will appreciate the charm and the beauty of having one easy box with a small easy remote right on their television for playing great games and having that same box provide them with a unique method of accessing information and media content - done effectively, done easily, done cheaply, and made comfortable to virtually everyone.[/QUOTE]
I see what you're saying, and I think this might have been more significant five years ago before the popularity of digital cable and satelite. I will give them the benfit of the doubt and say it could be cool, but it isn't selling anything to me, but then neither are the PS3's similar features...until I try them.

bread's done
Back