Photo
- - - - -

Wii Encaps, Accesories, Retail cost vs. MSRP

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 jPoD

jPoD

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:19 PM

If you find a better way, let me know. In the meantime, sure I'll drop $10 on a three pack to keep first player and second player differentiated.

Well idk, use a sock. At least you wont have dust and dirt all over it.
TGN Feedback: 135
CAG Feedback: 28

IM: Redsoxfan722

TGN TL: http://tradegamesnow...=jPoD&view=list

Boston U. Class of 2011
Go Terriers!
Beanpot Champs!!!!

Posted Image

#32 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:26 PM

If you find a better way, let me know. In the meantime, sure I'll drop $10 on a three pack to keep first player and second player differentiated.

I'm even more leary about this than the gloves, as I don't put anything on my consoles I can't take off, but it's another option. (And perhaps these will be removable, I don't know)

http://www.mywiiremote.com/

Posted Image

#33 botticus

botticus

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:29 PM

Why are the points cards $24.99? Seems like a ripoff, I would have liked to have seen them be $19.99 like XBLM cards.

100 points = $1 according to Nintendo, so it depends on what the points card is and, as I pointed out earlier, CompUSA isn't necessarily the best retailer to look at video game costs for.

#34 alongx

alongx

Soy loco por el Cornball

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:34 PM

Well, what I find interesting is that people on CAG always claim retailers' cost for $50 games is $45 or $46, and thus they are making almost nothing on new games. $40 (or $41.22) isn't too bad. In particular, retailers will make a ton on the $40 Zelda's. Is this much lower than for PS2/GC/Xbox games, or has everyone been wrong all this time?

Everybody's been wrong, I guess, though I never heard anyone here claim that retailers make that little markup on new games. When I worked at CC, which was through the PS2/XB/GC launches, cost for the store for your average game was $38-42.
My gaming tally:

Posted Image

#35 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:15 PM

Everybody's been wrong, I guess, though I never heard anyone here claim that retailers make that little markup on new games. When I worked at CC, which was through the PS2/XB/GC launches, cost for the store for your average game was $38-42.

A 20% markup isnt too shabby.

#36 io

io

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:25 PM

Just today in the Kmart thread some guy is saying the markup on new games is 5% (not necessarily at Kmart, but at "his brother's store"). I see stuff like that all the time - usually it is $5 (which is 10%). The 5% is an extreme example :D.

#37 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:06 AM

Am I the only one who isnt enthralled by the 'gloves'? Have any of you ever used silicone? The shit is total dust-magnet. I'll find a better way of distinguishing my 'mote.

Eh, I don't really see that as an issue.
It might bother the CAGs who have OCD, but I think the rest of us will handle a little bit of dust just fine. ;)

#38 PawnTakesKing

PawnTakesKing

The Analytical Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:20 AM

Am I the only one who isnt enthralled by the 'gloves'? Have any of you ever used silicone? The shit is total dust-magnet. I'll find a better way of distinguishing my 'mote.

Apparently, the dog tags/lapel pins are for the Wiimotes as well. You can distinguish between them by just looking at the dog tags.
Posted Image

#39 elwood731

elwood731

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:20 AM

Just today in the Kmart thread some guy is saying the markup on new games is 5% (not necessarily at Kmart, but at "his brother's store"). I see stuff like that all the time - usually it is $5 (which is 10%). The 5% is an extreme example :D.

Well, do keep in mind that small "mom and pop" shops get things for a higher price, as Wal-Mart and other big retailers get volume discounts. But yeah, people have probably been wrong about this, as why else would they even bother selling games? New games especially, since they often get stuck with extra stock they have to mark below cost to get rid of.

#40 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:05 AM

I wouldn't be suprised to see them break the street date for games and accesories. Look at the 360 launch, games were available before the system was, about 2 weeks IIRC.

Games are released before the consoles all the time. It's not that they're breaking a street date, just that they're to be released before the console launches.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#41 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:42 AM

Controller gloves look like a pretty slick way to differentiate controllers, if nothing else.

I think this is probably a better idea than releasing multiple different console colors and wiimote options. Save those for later to pick up new customers down the line.