Wii to launch early? No, seriously, Best Buy says so!

daroga

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (100%)
Nothing like trolling gaming blogs to bolster the post count.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo/rumor-wii-launching-early-206059.php

Best Buy's (Yup, the same people who told us the 360 will play 90% of original Xbox games) internal computers say that the Wii will be coming at the end of October. There's already been speculation around that we might see a street date broken like for the DS Lite. Getting units to stores in the last days of October makes sesnse (didn't the DS Lite street date break happen ~2-3 weeks before release day?) so that there's stock in all the stores for the 19th.

If so, how many CAGs can con a Wii out of local retailers 3+ weeks early? ;)

That would be awesome if they had an early Launch. I don't see why they would want to launch after PS3 might as well Launch the system if you got them in the stores. Why do companies make a big deal about this stuff I will never know.

I going to go with a mistake on the shipment date. I dont think any systems will break the street date.

EDIT: On a side note PS3 package weighs 15 pounds.

My friend works at GameStop. Hopefully a few bucks in his direction will convince him to let a console go early for me.

I remember when the Super Nintendo released early under everyone's nose. A friend of mine got it about two weeks early and then my mom bought mine for me two days later. Who knows.

I don't have money for it yet, haha. So I'll still be getting mine on November 19th. At least I can get some impressions from some "real people" before I buy mine.

Hopefully stores don't break the street date on games or consoles.

I have my entire Wii Budget tied up in a loan 'til then, that's why! :)

I'd hate if they released games early and then on the 19th I couldn't get all I want. Weak. Same for consoles, especially...that'd kill my launch day, even if I was able to find one later.

[quote name='Limpbizkit182521']I going to go with a mistake on the shipment date. I dont think any systems will break the street date.

EDIT: On a side note PS3 package weighs 15 pounds.[/QUOTE]

If PS3 weights 15 LBS, how much does 360 and xbox weigh respectively.

[quote name='daroga']Nothing like trolling gaming blogs to bolster the post count.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo/rumor-wii-launching-early-206059.php

Best Buy's (Yup, the same people who told us the 360 will play 90% of original Xbox games) internal computers say that the Wii will be coming at the end of October. There's already been speculation around that we might see a street date broken like for the DS Lite. Getting units to stores in the last days of October makes sesnse (didn't the DS Lite street date break happen ~2-3 weeks before release day?) so that there's stock in all the stores for the 19th.

If so, how many CAGs can con a Wii out of local retailers 3+ weeks early? ;)[/QUOTE]

I can probably con a Wal-Mart employee if they mistakenly bring the stock out one night before the morning management can catch the error. Unlike certain movies and CDs, Nintendo has never mandated a lock until the street date on the UPCs at point of sale stations. It would almost seem that Nintendo is looking the other way with regards to street date breaks, perhaps because they can generate extra media attention.

I think it's best that Nintendo release it as soon as they can, this way maybe they can for a while distract people from the PS3 or attempting to purchase a PS3. Hope it's true.

[quote name='Bazz']That would be awesome if they had an early Launch. I don't see why they would want to launch after PS3 might as well Launch the system if you got them in the stores. Why do companies make a big deal about this stuff I will never know.[/QUOTE]

Well you kinda need games to go with the system. The Wiis are ready but no mention has been made about the games being packaged or shipping numbers.

Brilliant move by the big N to release days after the PS3. The early adopters of the PS3 will most likely be the hardcore fanboys, and some ebayers, supply dictates that. Now picture the people who are on the fence, who at launch cannot find a PS3 and refuse to pay the ebay prices. These are the frustrated masses that will purchase the readily available Wii along with the gamer who has already made up their mind that they must have one. My prediction, the Wii will break all console sales records, early launch or not.

[quote name='Corvin']Well you kinda need games to go with the system. The Wiis are ready but no mention has been made about the games being packaged or shipping numbers.[/quote]
It'll at least have Wii Sports in. That's 1/2 of the games I'm going to be getting before the new year, so I'd be ok with only having Wii Sport for 3 weeks... as long as they put out extra controllers early too ;)

[quote name='hfdpro']Brilliant move by the big N to release days after the PS3. The early adopters of the PS3 will most likely be the hardcore fanboys, and some ebayers, supply dictates that. Now picture the people who are on the fence, who at launch cannot find a PS3 and refuse to pay the ebay prices. These are the frustrated masses that will purchase the readily available Wii along with the gamer who has already made up their mind that they must have one. My prediction, the Wii will break all console sales records, early launch or not.[/quote]

Really? It really ISNT brilliant. Had they launched before the PS3, hype would have been generated BEFORE PS3, thus cutting a little chip out of PS3's hype cube, but with the shortage of PS3's there will be tons of hype and in schools (you know, the primary market) everyone will be talking about the PS3, NOT the Wii. The Wii wont even make a mark. It will start making chips again when Sony fails to provide consoles to the anixious after weeks of waiting.

[quote name='help1']Really? It really ISNT brilliant. Had they launched before the PS3, hype would have been generated BEFORE PS3, thus cutting a little chip out of PS3's hype cube, but with the shortage of PS3's there will be tons of hype and in schools (you know, the primary market) everyone will be talking about the PS3, NOT the Wii. The Wii wont even make a mark. It will start making chips again when Sony fails to provide consoles to the anixious after weeks of waiting.[/QUOTE]

It's a hugely brilliant move. The PS3 shortages will leave more then one parent saying "fuck this, I'm getting Mario". Furthermore, if the Wii launched before the PS3, everyone would be talking about Sony's machine two to three days later. Now though, people who want the Wii will overwhelm the voices of people who have a PS3 and aren't ebaying. There are quite a few people out there who will get fed up with the low avalibility and high price of the PS3, so much so that they may say fuck Sony in a mighty bout of nerd rage. You seriously underestimate the buying power of a jittled nerd.

The Wii will not launch early. Sega's mistakes with the Saturn are good lessons to learn. The Nintendo reps and stores need until the 19th to fully setup the new retail racks and demo units.

However, as I said earlier it seems Nintendo turns a blind eye to stores breaking the release dates "on accident" There were no reports of punishment for Target or Wal-Mart selling the DS lite early. I picked up a GBA SP a week before its launch.

Stores breaking the "street date" could lead to news stories (free PR) before the PS3 launch. The PS3 will launch on Friday and capture the domestic news on Nov. 17th, sellouts are almost a certainty with such a small shipment.

However, the Wii will launch on Sunday and probably have a decent launch even with street date breaks and Nintendo will have PR reps ready to push the Wii on the news channels starting Monday morning and instead of crowing about their sellouts they will be able to tout sales and tell parents that they have many more on the way. No Elmo TMX or PS3 shortages with the Wii and as such no bidding wars on eBay driving prices through the roof. Nintendo will also have half a week for stores to move units from distrubution centers to stores in order to replinish stock for Black Friday.

Nintendo may have just setup the best possible senario for their launch. The PS3 launch might be news for only one day and even if the news channels do show the Wii and PS3 side by side I wager parents wont be able to tell a big differnece in graphics because news channels tend to show video of games being played rather than a direct feed from the console.

[quote name='furyk']It's a hugely brilliant move. The PS3 shortages will leave more then one parent saying "fuck this, I'm getting Mario". Furthermore, if the Wii launched before the PS3, everyone would be talking about Sony's machine two to three days later. Now though, people who want the Wii will overwhelm the voices of people who have a PS3 and aren't ebaying. There are quite a few people out there who will get fed up with the low avalibility and high price of the PS3, so much so that they may say fuck Sony in a mighty bout of nerd rage. You seriously underestimate the buying power of a jittled nerd.[/QUOTE]

Those people could get a 360 instead of a Wii. If the Wii was out for a week or two, at least there would be consumer reviews, etc. that could in addition help sway consumers that miss out on PS3. Instead Nintendo is relying on just hype for the people that can't get a PS3 and want a next-gen console.

[quote name='ksuwild25']Those people could get a 360 instead of a Wii. If the Wii was out for a week or two, at least there would be consumer reviews, etc. that could in addition help sway consumers that miss out on PS3. Instead Nintendo is relying on just hype for the people that can't get a PS3 and want a next-gen console.[/quote]They could, but they could have gotten a 360 for the last year as well. There will probably be plenty of people who choose a 360 when the PS3 is gone, but the Wii has the "new" factor. And it's a hugely cheaper purchase than a PS3.

[quote name='ksuwild25']Those people could get a 360 instead of a Wii. If the Wii was out for a week or two, at least there would be consumer reviews, etc. that could in addition help sway consumers that miss out on PS3. Instead Nintendo is relying on just hype for the people that can't get a PS3 and want a next-gen console.[/quote]

XBox 360 isn't "new," and we all know how fickle kids can be.

[quote name='botticus']They could, but they could have gotten a 360 for the last year as well. There will probably be plenty of people who choose a 360 when the PS3 is gone, but the Wii has the "new" factor. And it's a hugely cheaper purchase than a PS3.[/quote] Exactly, the 360 doesn't play into any talk of PS3 vs. Wii launch dates at all. It may be an option for parents who can't find a PS3 for Christmas, but that wouldn't have anything to do with the topic of launch-hype.

[quote name='iufoltzie']However, as I said earlier it seems Nintendo turns a blind eye to stores breaking the release dates "on accident" There were no reports of punishment for Target or Wal-Mart selling the DS lite early. I picked up a GBA SP a week before its launch.[/QUOTE]

Who's going to punish Target or Wal-Mart? Seriously?

NoA Rep: So, our records show that you sold three Wiis on the 18th, although they were clearly marked for a November 19th release date.
Wal*Mart Rep: And?
NoA Rep: Well, per our contract, I'm going to have to fine you $2,000 per unit that was sold early for a total of $6,000.
WM Rep: Okay. We'll pay that right away. Also, I'll need a Return Authroization Number.
NoA Rep: What? Why do you need an RA Number?
WM Rep: Well, we'd rather not risk getting fined for selling any more of your product, so we're just going to send it back.
NoA Rep: "Send it back"?!? Send what back?!?
WM Rep: All of it. All of our Nintendo Stock.

Seriously, no one is going to punish any major chains unless the breaking of the street date was intentional, chain-wide and done with large scale numbers... or...

NoA Rep: Well, I'm sorry, I can't authorize that. I'll have to get Reggie on the phone.
WM Rep: Reggie? Oh.. ummm... You know what? Nevermind that. I think we'll just go ahead and authroize that payment now. In fact, we'll throw in a couple thousand extra, just so y'all know how sorry we are.

[quote name='UncleBob']Seriously, no one is going to punish any major chains unless the breaking of the street date was intentional, chain-wide and done with large scale numbers... or...[/QUOTE]
This is true. Wal-Mart breaks street date all the time of a wide variety of products, including books, CDs, movies, etc. It's one of the ways they "compete" with local mom and pop shops, since they actually will be penalized for breaking street date. No one messes with Wal-Mart these days, and for that matter any of the big chains. It just isn't worth the hassle or potential lost sales.

[quote name='Plinko']XBox 360 isn't "new," and we all know how fickle kids can be.[/quote]

And we also know how kids like expensive things.

ps 3 weighs 15 pounds but WII 23 doubtful

also i can tell you this right now BEST BUY WILL NOT BREAK STREET DATE.

Best buy had the 199.99 PSP packs 2 weeks before they went on sale yet refuse to sell them ahead of time.

[quote name='daroga']Yup, the same people who told us the 360 will play 90% of original Xbox games[/QUOTE]

Uhhh.it DOES play 90% of the old xbox games...as long as you have circuit city install backwards compatiblity for only $30!

I like how Nintenbots think that someone is going to try and buy a $500-$600 device(the PS3), find out they can't get one and then just give up that day and buy a Wii. That's delusional, when 360/PS2 where in short supply people WAITED, they waited for 2nd shipment or some uber secret shipment at BB that you had to know the password for but they still waited.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I like how Nintenbots think that someone is going to try and buy a $500-$600 device(the PS3), find out they can't get one and then just give up that day and buy a Wii. That's delusional, when 360/PS2 where in short supply people WAITED, they waited for 2nd shipment or some uber secret shipment at BB that you had to know the password for but they still waited.[/quote]It was the only thing out at the time - what was their alternative? "Screw it, I'm gonna get a PS2, that's only been out for about 6 years."

And yes, hardcore Sonybots will wait for the PS3, but parents and other people who don't give a shit about Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo will get something else that's sitting right there. They aren't going to wait around for a mystery password-protected shipment that was only known about on the internet. Microsoft also lost a lot of potential business because people just gave up trying to find one after a couple months. Plenty of 360s sitting around Best Buy and EB in January and February since the hype had been burned out, that would have sold in a second if they had been on shelves in December.

We're not just talking about November 17-19th, we're talking about the entire period of November and December when God knows when Sony will be able to restock stores.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I like how Nintenbots think that someone is going to try and buy a $500-$600 device(the PS3), find out they can't get one and then just give up that day and buy a Wii. That's delusional, when 360/PS2 where in short supply people WAITED, they waited for 2nd shipment or some uber secret shipment at BB that you had to know the password for but they still waited.[/quote]
Some people waited. You're fooling yourself though if you don't think the original Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube all got sales last Chistmas when the 360 wasn't around.

And as Botticus said, there wasn't a "new" option last year either. This holiday season sees 2 new systems, one can't be found anywhere, one in ready supply. Hmmmm. What's a parent to do?

[quote name='botticus']It was the only thing out at the time - what was their alternative? "Screw it, I'm gonna get a PS2, that's only been out for about 6 years."

And yes, hardcore Sonybots will wait for the PS3, but parents and other people who don't give a shit about Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo will get something else that's sitting right there. They aren't going to wait around for a mystery password-protected shipment that was only known about on the internet. Microsoft also lost a lot of potential business because people just gave up trying to find one after a couple months. Plenty of 360s sitting around Best Buy and EB in January and February since the hype had been burned out, that would have sold in a second if they had been on shelves in December.

We're not just talking about November 17-19th, we're talking about the entire period of November and December when God knows when Sony will be able to restock stores.[/QUOTE]

How many parents are buying a PS3 for their kids? If they have the financial capability to buy a PS3 plus the extra stuff in the first place what makes you think they wont buy it off eBay or Gamestop's carzy online bundles? IMO Not many people are going to settle for 3rd best just because of availability, in cases like this lack availability increases the demand AKA the elusive "must have" holiday item.

I think Nintendo needs to pull a immediate marketing blitz along with a pushed up release date so that they are the FIRST choice for a Christmas/holiday item and not the "Sorry they didn't have any PS3s" gift.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']How many parents are buying a PS3 for their kids? If they have the financial capability to buy a PS3 plus the extra stuff in the first place what makes you think they wont buy it off eBay or Gamestop's carzy online bundles? IMO Not many people are going to settle for 3rd best just because of availability, in cases like this lack availability increases the demand AKA the elusive "must have" holiday item.

I think Nintendo needs to pull a immediate marketing blitz along with a pushed up release date so that they are the FIRST choice for a Christmas/holiday item and not the "Sorry they didn't have any PS3s" gift.[/quote]Not many this year, since there are only 400k available, and the gamers will take most of those. But there will be an incredibly large number of parents looking to buy the new video game whatchamacallit for their kids this Christmas. There's only three choices, one that they can't find, one that's been out for a year, and one that's brand new. And "3rd best" is subjective at best.

Agreed on the marketing.

[quote name='elwood731']This is true. Wal-Mart breaks street date all the time of a wide variety of products, including books, CDs, movies, etc. It's one of the ways they "compete" with local mom and pop shops, since they actually will be penalized for breaking street date. No one messes with Wal-Mart these days, and for that matter any of the big chains. It just isn't worth the hassle or potential lost sales.[/QUOTE]

Come on now, this line of crap is complete BS. There has never been any kind of mandate or instructions from HO to "break the street date" on any particular items. If a store breaks a street date, it's because that individual store made a mistake.

Do keep in mind that very few video games actually have a street date on them - so just because you see a title out at Wal*Mart 'early', it doesn't mean that Wal*Mart broke the street date.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']

I think Nintendo needs to pull a immediate marketing blitz along with a pushed up release date so that they are the FIRST choice for a Christmas/holiday item and not the "Sorry they didn't have any PS3s" gift.[/QUOTE]

I think it is a non-issue. The Wii has already been declared by multiple companies/firms(You know the people that decide that every parent has to own a Tickle Me Elmo) one of the "hot" items for Christmas. It's also on TRUs "hot" Christmas list while the PS3 is absent.

[quote name='UncleBob']There has never been any kind of mandate or instructions from HO to "break the street date" on any particular items. If a store breaks a street date, it's because that individual store made a mistake.

Do keep in mind that very few video games actually have a street date on them - so just because you see a title out at Wal*Mart 'early', it doesn't mean that Wal*Mart broke the street date.[/QUOTE]

Correct on all points. I should note that all of my previous comments were based on the assumption that Nintendo doesnt label their boxes for a specific street date, they didnt when I last worked in retail and didnt the last time I saw them bringing out freight.

All previous comments are speculation, but if Nintendo had a problem with the breaks for previous items they could easily negotiate a lock on the UPC with the larger retailers. I tend to think they like the PR.

[quote name='UncleBob']Come on now, this line of crap is complete BS. There has never been any kind of mandate or instructions from HO to "break the street date" on any particular items. If a store breaks a street date, it's because that individual store made a mistake.

Do keep in mind that very few video games actually have a street date on them - so just because you see a title out at Wal*Mart 'early', it doesn't mean that Wal*Mart broke the street date.[/QUOTE]
I never claimed there was a mandate or order from Wal-Mart HQ. Instead, I simply said that it happens. A lot. I can vouch for seeing it first hand. Claiming ignorance each time it happens and blaming some employee who didn't know better is a bit of a cop out.

So no, it isn't some vast conspiracy by Wal-Mart, but just store managers not caring and knowing they do not have to. As I said, I've seen it happen on a variety of media items. The less fanfare around the item the more likely you are to see it happen (i.e. not very likely with the next Harry Potter, but far more likely with some new DVD).

[quote name='Corvin']I think it is a non-issue. The Wii has already been declared by multiple companies/firms(You know the people that decide that every parent has to own a Tickle Me Elmo) one of the "hot" items for Christmas. It's also on TRUs "hot" Christmas list while the PS3 is absent.[/QUOTE]

The PS2 wasn't ever on the TRU hot toy list and that didn't stop it from dominating the market. Isn't being on a hot Toy list(some what of a kiddie image) something Nintendo was trying to escape?

All I'm saying is that I think some of you are fooling yourself if you think the Nintendo is going to sell units just because it's there. If you like the Wii then that's good for you, I'm not bashing you purchase and I hope you enjoy it. But low availability doesnt guarantee that people will just forget about PS3 because it's hard to find and it doesnt guarantee that the Wii will get a sell because of that. People don't go shopping for a 42" HDTV plasma and then buy a 32" SDTV tube TV because it was easier to find and cheaper. I'm not saying Im declaring a console winner or anything but to assume that Nintendo wins by default because PS3 is in low supply and Xbox 360 is a year old :roll: is ignorant.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']
All I'm saying is that I think some of you are fooling yourself if you think the Nintendo is going to sell units just because it's there. If you like the Wii then that's good for you, I'm not bashing you purchase and I hope you enjoy it. But low availability doesnt guarantee that people will just forget about PS3 because it's hard to find and it doesnt guarantee that the Wii will get a sell because of that. People don't go shopping for a 42" HDTV plasma and then buy a 32" SDTV tube TV because it was easier to find and cheaper. I'm not saying Im declaring a console winner or anything but to assume that Nintendo wins by default because PS3 is in low supply and Xbox 360 is a year old :roll: is ignorant.[/QUOTE]
In general, you are correct. However, I do believe that the PS3 being in short supply will help the Wii some. When people can't get a PS3 and hear they might not be able to until March like with the X360 last year, then some might consider buying a Wii in the meantime. No, it isn't going to win the console war for Nintendo, but it won't hurt either. On the same token, the X360 missed a ton of Christmas sales last year because parents couldn't find and got their kid something else. This year many might get it because it's available, instead of waiting for Christmas 2007 to get a PS3. A lot of parents only buy their kids big things once a year, regardless of their cash reserves.

Still, it isn't like people are going to be forgetting the PS3's existence just because they can't find one. One killer launch app and people will gladly wait till March or later.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']The PS2 wasn't ever on the TRU hot toy list and that didn't stop it from dominating the market. Isn't being on a hot Toy list(some what of a kiddie image) something Nintendo was trying to escape?

All I'm saying is that I think some of you are fooling yourself if you think the Nintendo is going to sell units just because it's there. If you like the Wii then that's good for you, I'm not bashing you purchase and I hope you enjoy it. But low availability doesnt guarantee that people will just forget about PS3 because it's hard to find and it doesnt guarantee that the Wii will get a sell because of that. People don't go shopping for a 42" HDTV plasma and then buy a 32" SDTV tube TV because it was easier to find and cheaper. I'm not saying Im declaring a console winner or anything but to assume that Nintendo wins by default because PS3 is in low supply and Xbox 360 is a year old :roll: is ignorant.[/quote]The reason the Wii is on those lists and in those catalogues is because it is billed as family entertainment, for kids and adults, while the PS3 is regarded as something for the hardcore crowd (I'll find a quote for you somewhere unless someone else can point to it more quickly). That, and the PS3 won't be available past day 1, so there's no point in advertising it.

No one's saying Nintendo is going to win the console war because the PS3 is sold out and everyone is going to buy a Wii instead. But is the Wii going to sell more units than the PS3 this year? I don't see how it can't. They could sell through 10% of their anticipated stock and come out well ahead of the PS3 numbers.

You can't really compare video game consoles to TVs because it's a whole different mindset and category. Do people wait outside stores the day before a new LCD TV is being sold? I hardly think so. But at the same time, if someone is looking for a 42" plasma TV, and the Sony one they're looking for is sold out, you don't think that a lot of people will get sold on the 37" Samsung LCD TV instead?

Edit: Here's TRU's statement regarding their "hot list":

"The PlayStation 3 is really geared to a savvy gaming enthusiast," said Kathleen Waugh, a spokeswoman for Toys "R" Us, of the decision to add the Wii to the list. "The Wii system appeals to young kids as well as adults."

The spokesperson went on to say that "one of Toys "R" Us' criteria of adding an item to its hot list is knowing it will have sufficient stock of the item for the holiday season, and she said that Toys "R" Us was able to ensure that by "taking a leadership position on the launch of Wii.""
http://kotaku.com/gaming/toys-r-us/toys-r-us-disses-ps3-picks-wii-203337.php

If a parent is going to buy a kid a PS3, then the PS3 is what the kid will get (or not) this holiday season. If a parent is in the market for a $600 video game machine, noone wants to see the look of disappointment on Junior's face. Of course, some posters are going to say "Get used to disappointment kid," but that's not the way it works.

The other thing is, as a parent, you don't want to sink $$$ into something the kid isn't going to use.

Having said that, it is very possible that the Wii (and 360) will take sales away from the PS3.

Microsoft has started to get more 360 commercials in rotation, emphasizing XBox Live. I noticed quite a few yesterday during football coverage. Nintendo will need to talk about its different interface and ease of use. They may convince some parents to take a flyer on the machine IF their child hasn't asked for a 360 or PS3. If the child has asked for one of the others, the chances of convincing the parent to get a Wii drops.

It's going to end up being a interesting holiday season for gamers. I'll try and scam one(a wii) out of target or walmart early if I can. I have a inside man at a walmart and if the cash register doesnt time block upc bar codes at walmart I'll try to get a few ringed out.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Naruto would say "BELIEVE IT!"[/quote]

fuck you. I fucking hate Cartoon Network and I fucking hate Toonami.

[quote name='yukine']fuck you. I fucking hate Cartoon Network and I fucking hate Toonami.[/QUOTE]

Man...John Leguizamo will take just about any gig he can get these days. :roll:

[quote name='Tybee']Man...John Leguizamo will take just about any gig he can get these days. :roll:[/quote]

I don't get it, but I'm not a fan of John Leguizamo... I hate that guy. If you wish to explain, give me a PM. Otherwise, we should probably get back on topic, yes? :D

bread's done
Back