Photo
- - - - -

Transformers Toys - Deals & Discussion

Transformers Autobot Deception Beast Wars Optimus Prime Megatron Hasbro Takara SDCC Botcon

• Please log in to reply
5855 replies to this topic

#5071 pjb16

pjb16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

I am working out of town again this week, and decided to stop at a TRU on my way to work (about two and a half hours from me normally) to see if they had an MP Prime. They did not, but they had the tag so I will probably stop by Thursday or Friday (whenever I go home) to see if they got it in on Wednesday.

They did have the GDO Voyager megatron (two of them) and a Powerdive. I was going to pass on the Powerdive (because i have Highbrow, though i like him) but I ended up finding (I think) all the deluxe GDO on an end cap. So I picked up Powerdive, Wheelie (only had one), Swerve, Springer, and Cliffjumper (not sure how it is different than the Prime version - I don't have it).

They did have a Prime First Edition set (with Megatron and Prime) that I passes on for now. They also had some blue backed prime figures (the card I mean) that I don't think I have seen before, but I only saw Arcee and Starscream because it was high on the shelf. I am not sure how they are different than the normal prime figures I have seen. If they are worthwhile, I may pick up a few when I go back (assuming they are still there).

#5072 demonchylde

demonchylde

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

Stopped by TRU in Glendale looking for MP Prime. No dice, but I did get MP Thundercraker! :D

Also noted that FE deluxes are back on pegs. Picked up that FE Starscream I missed the first time around.

#5073 El Rey

El Rey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

ICliffjumper (not sure how it is different than the Prime version - I don't have it).

GDO Cliffjumper uses the FE Prime mold but has a new G1 inspired headsculpt

#5074 animalspinners

animalspinners

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

Gotta say, I love how I actually don't like any of the new Beast Hunters line (and I'm pretty much caught up on everything else at retail.)

It's allowed me to go back and finish off some other lines, like Robots in Disguise, the real RID. I'm consistently amazed at how these figures from 2001 blow away the stuff we're getting in 2012 in terms of size, transformation, plastic quality and even looks and personality.

Rail Racer looks awesome no matter how you set him up -- whether it's the combined form or the three separate robots as vehicles / robots... something Hasbro can't pull off in 2012 anymore, it seems.

And that RID Ultra Magnus is just as good as you can get.

The awesome part is pretty much everything from RID is super cheap too! You can get new figures for the same cost as buying something from retail.

I was starting to become disheartened by the quality of these new Transformers -- cheap plastic, a ton of hollow limbs, crappy repaint after repaint and remolds that just didn't make any sense, not to mention the need to have to import to get a complete onscreen cast (which I think is the first time Hasbro has ever dropped the ball here, no?). Going back into some of these older lines really reignited my love for the franchise.

To top it all off, I don't need to fight off scalpers and waste time / gas hunting for figures.

#5075 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

Hells yeah love me some (real) RID! Rail racer and to a lesser extent the build team are fantastic gestalts, the car brothers are uniformly brilliant and ultra Magnus is one of my fave figs ever especially combined with flame convoy. I actually splurged back in the day and imported at least half the line before Hasbro announced a domestic release. No regrets.

#5076 karkyco

karkyco

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

Hmmm, looking back at the receipt, it says I recieved $30 in multi buy savings. Strange since the MP Optimus was the only thing I bought, the clerk must have effed up.
When I got it, I had driven across town to check my second TRU location, got my hands on the last Prime and was told that it was only 70 dollars. I'm not one to question anything at that point. :lol:

What the Fuck?!? And in LA, too. GD it, I gotta get these...

SPLASH!

m93k0.gif

#5077 pjb16

pjb16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

My local TRU had somewhere between 9 and 11 MP Thundercrackers on the shelf (really?!), but not a single tag even for MP Prime.

I am disappoint. :(

#5078 blandstalker

blandstalker

I am Irrelevant Bitching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:44 PM

My local TRU had somewhere between 9 and 11 MP Thundercrackers on the shelf (really?!), but not a single tag even for MP Prime.

I am disappoint. :(

I am choosing to not be worried about this. TWhen Thundercracker first appeared, it was a lot like MP Prime is now: sold out everywhere and shelf tags if you were lucky.

Now, Thundercracker seems to be everywhere. My local store got six, sold them, then got six more. It's also available on toysrus.com and has been for over a week.

So, I think -- I hope -- the same thing is/will happen with MP Prime. While Prime is a higher price point, I can't see them doing less for an item with much more mass market appeal.

And if they do, Fuck them. It no longer matters that much to me. While I'd like one, I can live without yet another Optimus.
Now playing: Some Game I Last Played Months Ago (DS), Ancient Game I Tried Once (PS3), Why Do I Never Update My Signature? (360), Backlog Assassins (iPad)

#5079 blandstalker

blandstalker

I am Irrelevant Bitching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

I actually splurged back in the day and imported at least half the line before Hasbro announced a domestic release. No regrets.

Same here. At the time it was unknown if they would ever come out here. And sometimes, brilliant things from Japan just don't, Alternity being the latest. But even back then, there were a bunch of great beasts that never came out here. There was no way to know.

Even then, when Hasbro announced RiD coming stateside, I was happy that everyone would get to experience them.

I think my favorites are the car brothers. Great vehicles, with very little hint of being robots, even from the underside Terrific, super-poseable robots (when that was not the norm). They were intricate, but not frustrating like some of the more recent panel mashers have been. They're also one of the few cases where I have the originals and the redecos and have no desire to pare down to one or the other. They had superb design with the right materials and attention to detail.

What is disheartening is that the designs are still, on the whole, good. It's the choices, from case assortment to prioritizing stupid weapons to relentless cost cutting and cheapening, that is killing things.

Gotta say, I love how I actually don't like any of the new Beast Hunters line (and I'm pretty much caught up on everything else at retail.)

I agree -- it's a relief in a period that's been quite frustrating. I've stuck with it because I think TF:Prime has been really good, but now that it's going in directions that I loathe, it's nice to be able to write off a whole line.

not to mention the need to have to import to get a complete onscreen cast (which I think is the first time Hasbro has ever dropped the ball here, no?).

You could say the same about DotM. There have been minor characters before -- BW Tripredacus Agent/Ravage or Animated Blackout -- but yeah -- leaving major cast members on the other side of the ocean is a new "strategy". It's just the latest in a string of bewildering decisions.

I think they just don't care anymore. Or, more specifically, they have forgotten that the movies/shows are tools that are better for sales than their current Stupid Marketing Tricks.

To top it all off, I don't need to fight off scalpers and waste time / gas hunting for figures.

Isn't it nice?
Now playing: Some Game I Last Played Months Ago (DS), Ancient Game I Tried Once (PS3), Why Do I Never Update My Signature? (360), Backlog Assassins (iPad)

#5080 FatBoyInside

FatBoyInside

Money costs too much

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:57 AM

Found a Masterpiece Optimus Prime w/ Trailer, but the cost was $119.99 before tax. Is that the original msrp price or did my TRU jacked it up for the holidays? I will probably return it. It appears very plastic-ky.

My Current Lowball Sale is NOW CLOSED.  I lost so much sweat & tears. [cries] 

animePSP2.jpg

#5081 Ahadi

Ahadi

Lord Tyrant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:03 AM

Not a huge find, but I picked up Cyberverse Breakdown today putting me at having each Cyberverse figure that's appeared in the show that exists in toy form. Next purchase... Optimus Maximus to throw them Autobots on.

Anyone know if they plan on releasing Vehicons that transform into jets at the Cyberverse size?

#5082 jbz

jbz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

Found a Masterpiece Optimus Prime w/ Trailer, but the cost was $119.99 before tax. Is that the original msrp price or did my TRU jacked it up for the holidays? I will probably return it. It appears very plastic-ky.

MSRP was $99.99. TRU is reportedly jacking it up everywhere, some places are at $135 I believe.

#5083 jbz

jbz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

I am choosing to not be worried about this. TWhen Thundercracker first appeared, it was a lot like MP Prime is now: sold out everywhere and shelf tags if you were lucky.

Now, Thundercracker seems to be everywhere. My local store got six, sold them, then got six more. It's also available on toysrus.com and has been for over a week.

So, I think -- I hope -- the same thing is/will happen with MP Prime. While Prime is a higher price point, I can't see them doing less for an item with much more mass market appeal.

And if they do, Fuck them. It no longer matters that much to me. While I'd like one, I can live without yet another Optimus.

I agree. I have a feeling come Christmas time we'll see a lot of these on the shelves. Well, some of us will. The people who preordered from TRU.com are still waiting though. (I'm one of them)

#5084 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

Yeah, are they trying to wait until the higher price point is out for a while then cancel all the preorders due to a "price error"? They better fucking not!
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#5085 kward

kward

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

Heads-up to anyone in the Cincinnati area. TRU in Kenwood has several MP Prime.
After I bought mine there were three remaining on the shelf and one unopened case on top of the display.

Price is $119.99.

#5086 GreyFox787

GreyFox787

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

Still waiting on my two pre-ordered MP Primes...my local TRU FINALLY got in a shipment of MP Thundercracker...picked up one of the three on the shelf; contemplating a second.

#5087 Watchman

Watchman

BC2 Medic/God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

TFW2005's SoCal collector board reported that the Los Feliz TRU today had four guys at opening bolt for the TF section where they (foolishly) put the MP-10's. One guy knocked the other three out of the way and took all four on the shelf. Upon checking out the manager called the cops and reported it as assault. The man was arrested, no purchases.

Scary thing is I almost went over to that store this morning at opening. Yeesh!
"Ohh! Kitty got wet!" --Nathan Drake, Uncharted 2

#5088 fujishig

fujishig

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

TFW2005's SoCal collector board reported that the Los Feliz TRU today had four guys at opening bolt for the TF section where they (foolishly) put the MP-10's. One guy knocked the other three out of the way and took all four on the shelf. Upon checking out the manager called the cops and reported it as assault. The man was arrested, no purchases.

Scary thing is I almost went over to that store this morning at opening. Yeesh!

Sigh. I'm never going to find this thing in SoCal am I.

#5089 Bloomy

Bloomy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:30 AM

Picked up MP Prime in Columbia, MD, tonight. No tags on the shelf, but I saw a case sitting up top. Lifted it up a little bit, had some weight to it. Pulled it down and sure enough, one was in there. Case had a sticker on it for $119.99, and that's what it scanned for. Front, upper right corner of the box was dinged more than I would normally care for, but since I had a 15% off a $50 toy purchase coupon, I figured I'd take the plunge. Probably guaranteed I'll find a pristine one in the coming weeks, though it's not like I haven't double dipped on Masterpieces in the past.

Also picked up a GDO Wheelie. Swerve and Cliffjumper were also there, but the cards were a little too bent for my liking. I figure I'll run into them again. Also saw the GDO scouts.

They also put some MP Thundercrackers out, but there were still a couple cases on top.

#5090 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:05 AM

After looking online and around, I want to start collecting the Masterpiece Transformers as they seem like some of the best quality. I mainly just want G1 and G2 stuff, does this seem like a good route to go? I had originally thought about getting original ones, but then I started looking at the masterpiece ones. What about these Takara Masterpieces? From what I understand they are the line in Japan.

Check Out My Podcast

Rival Bits

Video Games, Movies, and TV

https://itunes.apple...d884775591?mt=2

181104.pngblade3d.png

#5091 Watchman

Watchman

BC2 Medic/God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:43 AM

After looking online and around, I want to start collecting the Masterpiece Transformers as they seem like some of the best quality. I mainly just want G1 and G2 stuff, does this seem like a good route to go? I had originally thought about getting original ones, but then I started looking at the masterpiece ones. What about these Takara Masterpieces? From what I understand they are the line in Japan.

I've heard complaints about the Takara ones having looser limbs, but that may just be anomalies. No actual proof they're of lower quality.

And Fujishig, we're arguably in the worst area to find one--scalpers aplenty. Especially with jackholes like the one in Los Feliz. But they are turning up--sometimes you just gotta travel to a town you're not normally used to. Porter Ranch apparently had a whole dozen this week.
"Ohh! Kitty got wet!" --Nathan Drake, Uncharted 2

#5092 howlinmad

howlinmad

Harmful if swallowed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:25 AM

Is it terrible to wish bad stuff on scalpers? Fucking gimps.

I've heard complaints about the Takara ones having looser limbs, but that may just be anomalies. No actual proof they're of lower quality.

And Fujishig, we're arguably in the worst area to find one--scalpers aplenty. Especially with jackholes like the one in Los Feliz. But they are turning up--sometimes you just gotta travel to a town you're not normally used to. Porter Ranch apparently had a whole dozen this week.

Now playing
- Anything that strikes me as fun at the time.

My crap for trade

#5093 blandstalker

blandstalker

I am Irrelevant Bitching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

I talked a little bit about Masterpiece back on this page of this thread.

If you want G1 and G2, it's a good route to go, but it's limited. There are only molds for: Prime, Megatron (JP only), seekers, Grimlock, Rodimus, and the upcoming Soundwave, Sideswipe, and Red Alert. It could be a year before those three are distributed in the US by Hasbro. Probably next year around this time.

Also know that there are now two different scales. The new Prime and the new seekers are slightly smaller. For some people, this is a big issue.

Takara stuff is usually better -- better materials, paint, and accessories -- but there's no guarantee on a first release. The first Takara release of Rodimus had issues; they fixed it in a subsequent release, but early adopters were screwed and had to live with what they bought.

If you want G1 and G2, I'd strongly suggest the Classics/Universe/Generations lines. Quality is generally very good, even for domestic releases, and some have Japanese releases with better paint.

Depends if you want a few quality figures that may or may not ever get around to the characters you really want -- Takara is pretty horrible about this, releasing Masterpiece Prime over and over again -- or if you want more, smaller figures that do a pretty good sampling of G1.

#5094 animalspinners

animalspinners

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

Gotta love when BBTS interprets Jan 2013 as today's date.

Preordered the second "run" (nobody knows what it is, just that BBTS is getting more) of Cyclops slated for Jan. 2013 a few weeks ago, hit my POL today.

On one hand, kind of pissed I got ambushed for $155 (had some credit) but on the other hand, excited it's in so I went and shipped my loot. The bonus is that I get AM Thundercracker and Orion Pax as well!

#5095 def PD

def PD

jack of all trades, master of none

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

Just got Generations Junkheap, Prime Starscream, Prime Shockwave, and Piranacon. I don't remeber the robot modes for the Seacons being so.... lame. Guess I'm leave them in Piranacon mode.

Can't wait for FoC Bruticus to come out later this month. I'm also wanting to get MP Soundwave.

Off-topic a bit, not sure how old everyone else is here, but I'm 31, and a lot of people (my coworkers in particular) make fun of me for collecting these toys (I also collect Dunnies/kidrobot, and video games). Does anyone else get made fun of for collecting these at all? I'm curious.

"Success always comes when preparation meets opportunity."
- Henry Hartman

My Games
http://club.ign.com/...ef_PD&mode=vown

#5096 pjb16

pjb16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:12 AM

Just got Generations Junkheap, Prime Starscream, Prime Shockwave, and Piranacon. I don't remeber the robot modes for the Seacons being so.... lame. Guess I'm leave them in Piranacon mode.

Can't wait for FoC Bruticus to come out later this month. I'm also wanting to get MP Soundwave.

Off-topic a bit, not sure how old everyone else is here, but I'm 31, and a lot of people (my coworkers in particular) make fun of me for collecting these toys (I also collect Dunnies/kidrobot, and video games). Does anyone else get made fun of for collecting these at all? I'm curious.

I'm 27, and I'm sure if my co-workers knew this was a hobby they'd make some comments about it. I don't often work with many of my co-workers though, so we usually talk about work when we do end up crossing paths.

#5097 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:38 AM

I could really care less what everybody thinks (I'm 32), I just tell them you like drinking beer and this is my hobby at least I can show something for it other than a hang over and an empty box.

#5098 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:11 AM

FYI:

Watch EVERY EPISODE of Transformers Prime! Starting Thursday at 5:30pm ET, leading up to the season two finale on Friday at 7pm ET!

My guess is that the season ends with the reveal of Predaking. As the figure is supposed to be released in Spring 2013, which is probably when S3 starts.

P R O V E H I T O   I N   A L T U M

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#5099 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

27 here. One of the perks of working at an engineering firm is not only does nobody "judge" but they think tf's are cool and like to fiddle with them when we get together anyway haha.
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#5100 pjb16

pjb16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

27 here. One of the perks of working at an engineering firm is not only does nobody "judge" but they think tf's are cool and like to fiddle with them when we get together anyway haha.

27 yr old engineer too, but despite working at a large engineering company, most of my co-workers aren't engineers by degree, and they're all abut 10 yrs or more older than me.