Photo
- - - - -

Transformers Toys - Deals & Discussion

Transformers Autobot Deception Beast Wars Optimus Prime Megatron Hasbro Takara SDCC Botcon

• Please log in to reply
5856 replies to this topic

#5221 howlinmad

howlinmad

Harmful if swallowed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

What is everyone's experience from ordering from bigbadtoystore.com? I see that Masterpiece Prowl is up for preorder.

What about the packaging for the import Masterpiece figures? Do they have some way of displaying them without taking out of the box? I'd wait for a US release, but don't want to risk that. Prowl is one of my favorites and has sentimental value. :)
Now playing
- Anything that strikes me as fun at the time.

My crap for trade

#5222 Bloomy

Bloomy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

Any of you watch transformers prime? I'm debating whether I should buy the seasons on blu ray or DVD since I heard the quality is bland. Any experiences guys?

I've enjoyed the series. If you get the Hub, they run episodes daily there. I also noticed the CW has started airing it in their Saturday morning animated block, so you could get a feel for the series. Though based on what I've seen them do to Dragon Ball Z Kai, it may be edited a bit there.

Early on, the kids were a bit too much front and center and annoying. Raf the deus ex machina computer guru, Miko causing more trouble than she's worth. Jack wasn't too bad, though. Your son probably won't mind that, though the kids become less of a nuisance as the series goes on.

Depending on how young your son is, it should probably be mentioned there are some deaths and close calls in the series, among both Autobots and Decepticons.

What is everyone's experience from ordering from bigbadtoystore.com? I see that Masterpiece Prowl is up for preorder.

What about the packaging for the import Masterpiece figures? Do they have some way of displaying them without taking out of the box? I'd wait for a US release, but don't want to risk that. Prowl is one of my favorites and has sentimental value. :)

I've been buying from Big Bad Toy Store for about 10 years or so, and the only thing resembling a problem I've had with them was their announcement of opening Megatron toys and putting orange plugs on the barrel. I was able to find other import retailers that didn't do that, so it wasn't that big of a deal. They pack things up pretty well, using (IIRC) air filled bags for cushioning.

There are no windows on the Japanese Masterpiece boxes. If you want to show off the figure beyond the pictures on the box, you'll have to take it out.

I can't wait to see what MP Prowl and Smokescreen look like. Hopefully Smokescreen is slightly retooled to match the mold differences from G1, and that a Bluestreak follows.

#5223 wastedyouth

wastedyouth

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

Anyone know a way to tell the difference in the new kre-o minifigs? I didn't see any numbers like the last six.

#5224 battledrill

battledrill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

I've enjoyed the series. If you get the Hub, they run episodes daily there. I also noticed the CW has started airing it in their Saturday morning animated block, so you could get a feel for the series. Though based on what I've seen them do to Dragon Ball Z Kai, it may be edited a bit there.

Early on, the kids were a bit too much front and center and annoying. Raf the deus ex machina computer guru, Miko causing more trouble than she's worth. Jack wasn't too bad, though. Your son probably won't mind that, though the kids become less of a nuisance as the series goes on.

Depending on how young your son is, it should probably be mentioned there are some deaths and close calls in the series, among both Autobots and Decepticons.

I've been buying from Big Bad Toy Store for about 10 years or so, and the only thing resembling a problem I've had with them was their announcement of opening Megatron toys and putting orange plugs on the barrel. I was able to find other import retailers that didn't do that, so it wasn't that big of a deal. They pack things up pretty well, using (IIRC) air filled bags for cushioning.

There are no windows on the Japanese Masterpiece boxes. If you want to show off the figure beyond the pictures on the box, you'll have to take it out.

I can't wait to see what MP Prowl and Smokescreen look like. Hopefully Smokescreen is slightly retooled to match the mold differences from G1, and that a Bluestreak follows.

Will check the show out thanks for the feedback!

#5225 crowbb

crowbb

Watch out for snakes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

BBTS is mixed for me. I have ordered from them many times and rarely have an issue. But a few years back when I ordered MP-Megatron they send 2 and charged for 2. I had ordered only 1 and they refused to do anything about it. Even further back during the WST Transformer days I seem to recall them being accused of weighing each "random" box and picking out the rares, so I won't buy anything randomly packed from them either.

Masterpiece Red Alert is in a windowless box, so there is no way to display it without taking out of the box. I assume Prowl will be a similar deal.

#5226 fujishig

fujishig

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

I believe the transformers prime blu was a limited edition or something like that and pretty expensive. Not sure if that's changed. It's also available on Netflix.

The masterpiece boxes used to be massive for what was inside the box but with sideswipe they were much more economical, making for cheaper shipping from importers. But yeah no windows.

I don't blame BBTS for the orange barrel thing, and they were easy enough to remove. They are reputable, though, and pile of loot is a cool feature I wish others would implement. Just be sure, like always, to shop around since these are popular enough to be at many different stores.

#5227 prim4444

prim4444

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Anyone know a way to tell the difference in the new kre-o minifigs? I didn't see any numbers like the last six.

The numbers on the ones at my store were at the top of the bag on the back. The last two numbers on mine were 40 through 52 or something like that.

#5228 Bloomy

Bloomy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

Here's a key for the Kreons :

http://www.tfw2005.c...n-guide-176373/

BBTS has a preorder up for MP Bluestreak. Didn't waste much time there.

#5229 howlinmad

howlinmad

Harmful if swallowed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Thanks guys. Since there really is no way of knowing if MP Prowl will get a US release will go ahead and order.
Now playing
- Anything that strikes me as fun at the time.

My crap for trade

#5230 blandstalker

blandstalker

I am Irrelevant Bitching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:10 AM

Found Kickback at TRU today -- first time I've seen it on the pegs. Also found Soundblaster (passed -- I'm not getting 3 of this figure) and saw Laserback. It's like a Beast Wars scout mated with a knock-off Digimon in a low-rent hotel.

Saw Beast Hunters Deluxes at Target as well, and Wal-Mart didn't have the Deluxes but it did have the Legends and Cyberverse Commanders.
Now playing: Some Game I Last Played Months Ago (DS), Ancient Game I Tried Once (PS3), Why Do I Never Update My Signature? (360), Backlog Assassins (iPad)

#5231 fujishig

fujishig

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:30 AM

Amazon has foc soundwave, sound blaster, ultra Magnus, insecticon, sideswipe, and starscream for decent non scalper prices right now.

#5232 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

So lots of new toys shown at ToyFair (not gonna link images here and clutter it up, but they're all on the usual sites like tfw2005 and tformers).

Like: Springer and Blitzwing. Yay triple changers!

Tentatively excited: Generations based on ongowing IDW series. Haven't read them (yet) but it's nice to get another "universe" in toy form.

Initially ZOMG and now "when on clearance": Metroplex.
Seriously, I almost fell over when I saw the first announcement/image of robot mode. Soooooo gorgeous, gigantic (2 feet tall!), electronics, etc. Then I saw the carrier mode. "OK, very G1, simple transformation, but still pretty cool. Base mode must be off the chain!" Then I see base mode... Fuck off Hasbro. They've pretty much upsized/tweaked G1 Metroplex. As far as I can tell he transforms almost identically. It's fine to have a giant brick back in 1986. Not so much now. The abdomen/torso is basically a giant brick of a battery box, the limbs are too spindly and don't really "expand" for base mode.

I love Hasbro for this effort, I really do. Appeasing fans with a citybot (something I really never thought I'd ever see again), making a cool playset for kids, G1/FOC combined homage. Just, the execution seems pretty terrible imho. Here's hoping for a good clearance so I can pick it up eventually, but not worth $125.00
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#5233 wastedyouth

wastedyouth

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:27 AM

Springer looks pretty badass.

They're also gonna release MP Soundwave and Acid Storm through Hasbro and Soundwave is supposed to have 5 cassettes. Of course this was announced right after I received my Takara Soundwave in the mail.

#5234 blandstalker

blandstalker

I am Irrelevant Bitching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

I love Hasbro for this effort, I really do. Appeasing fans with a citybot (something I really never thought I'd ever see again), making a cool playset for kids, G1/FOC combined homage. Just, the execution seems pretty terrible imho. Here's hoping for a good clearance so I can pick it up eventually, but not worth $125.00

Totally agree with you. I am frankly stunned that Hasbro will be offering something like this, and I feel like I should thank them.

That said, I think that in thirty years, we can go a little farther than have Metroplex sit down, rotate an arm, and call it a city. It's frankly kind of lazy, even if it's very authentic to the original. I know some people will love that, but I feel like I've been there and done that. In fact, I have.

I won't be buying it, even on clearance. It's a great show piece, but apart from a badass robot mode, it's kind of boring.

Totally digging Springer and Blitzwing. Those two can't come soon enough.
Now playing: Some Game I Last Played Months Ago (DS), Ancient Game I Tried Once (PS3), Why Do I Never Update My Signature? (360), Backlog Assassins (iPad)

#5235 El Rey

El Rey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

I knew holding off on Takara Soundwave was the correct choice.
Excited for the Generations figs. Haven't picked up a TF since the Kup/Warpath/Thundercracker wave. Still wish they would give us DotM Soundwave and Q as well as United Frenzy and Rumble.

#5236 fujishig

fujishig

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

While I'm happy that they confirmed a domestic release for soundwave plus tapes, I'm still not confident that they'll be able to stock it well enough for me to actually find it at a store. Did they say whether its another TRU exclusive?

#5237 El Rey

El Rey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

They have not confirmed what store it will be exclusive to yet. I didn't pick up MP TC or OP but saw TC a few times and OP only once. Was able to get Rodimus and Grimlock ok. I am betting he will be TRU though which is a little better than being a Walmart exclusive.

#5238 demonchylde

demonchylde

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

While I'm happy that they confirmed a domestic release for soundwave plus tapes, I'm still not confident that they'll be able to stock it well enough for me to actually find it at a store. Did they say whether its another TRU exclusive?

Ditto, I have yet to come across an MP Prime anywhere, though you can't help but trip and fall all over the piles of MP Thundercracker.

I too am surprised at how many of the upcoming releases look like things I must buy. Metroplex looks great and since I never got one as a kid, I may have to indulge.

#5239 wastedyouth

wastedyouth

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

MP Thundercracker is overstocked at our TRU as well.

#5240 demonchylde

demonchylde

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

So traffic on the way home last night was good to me so I stopped at TRU. I had just been on Saturday with my kids for a Lego bribe in return for their good behavior (I'm father of the year) and the transformers section was largely empty. Not so last night when it looked like the aisle had been hit by the beast hunters stick in a big way. I'm talking full pegs, large variety, and voyagers. They had even restocked on regular TF Prime FE toys.

I grabbed both Predaking and Optimus in voyager size and I have to say that I like both a lot more than I thought I would. Optimus' retooled appearance allows for more dynamic poses in bot mode and his sans-facemask battle grimace makes him look fairly bad-ass. His weaponry is finally less gimmicky and more awesome. His alt mode also looks like he means business with some angry claw-like fender action. For his part, Predaking certainly looks like king of predators. His alt mode is a thoroughly satisfying hydra-dragon. His transformation is particularly clever. His bot mode is also dynamic and menacing in ways that Megatron never was.

In both cases, they were partially mis-transformed for packaging due to the back-pack kibble they both carry in bot mode. In fact, my Predaking's wings popped off as I took him out of the plastic tray and one of Prime's wheels was partially popped off in the package such that it went sailing across my desk once I freed him from his tray.

All-in-all I have been largely disappointed by the overall build quality of the deluxe line for BH, and in some cases perplexed by the character design choices that were made. The same cannot be said of these voyager class guys. I love them. If you see them, they are worthy of purchase consideration.

#5241 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Most beast hunters and a fair amount of FoC are available on hasbrotoyshop. Free shipping over 50.00. Not "sale" but about what you'd pay in stores and avoid hunting. Sadly Insecticon and Grimlock are both OOS :(
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#5242 animalspinners

animalspinners

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

They have not confirmed what store it will be exclusive to yet. I didn't pick up MP TC or OP but saw TC a few times and OP only once. Was able to get Rodimus and Grimlock ok. I am betting he will be TRU though which is a little better than being a Walmart exclusive.

They did confirm that Acid Storm and Soundwave are TRU exclusive at Toy Fair.

I don't regret getting my Takara Soundwave at all because I can skip all the BS that comes with finding a TRU exclusive MP.

Most beast hunters and a fair amount of FoC are available on hasbrotoyshop. Free shipping over 50.00. Not "sale" but about what you'd pay in stores and avoid hunting.

Most stuff on HTS is about $2 - $3 under retail prices... I saved a good $20 or so buying all the new figures through them instead of TRU or Wal-Mart (and a load of gas and time too!)

#5243 wastedyouth

wastedyouth

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

I ordered MP Soundwave and I think I'm gonna sell it and buy the hasbro version

#5244 blandstalker

blandstalker

I am Irrelevant Bitching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

Stopped by a Wal-Mart yesterday, and they had FoC Grimlock and Blaster. Bought both.

I can't make up my mind about FoC Insecticon. It has a great robot mode, a surprising transformation, and then there's the insect mode. I can't decide if it's disappointing or crap.

In many ways, it reminds me of Thundertron. It's practically an insect statue, and there are a lot of bad ideas at work. At the same time, it's more complex than Thundertron. I get the feeling someone tried here, even if they didn't quite succeed.

It's nicely decorated and there's a lot going on. This is also big for a deluxe and comes with a disc launcher, disc, and two clear sword/wings. Unfortunately, I can't seem to do anything with the disc launcher in insect mode.

Part of me wants to like it. It's got lots of details, wings, claws, and it doesn't feel like an explosion of limbs, parts, or wackiness like we got with Transmetals or Beast Hunters. That someone tried to give Kickback -- who never had a complex transformation -- something more than set it down and move the arms and legs means a lot to me.

However, the front insect legs have no articulation. Neither does the head. The insect legs don't have pegs or anything, and trying to move one thing dislodges the whole unstable mess. The insect legs have some nice details, but they also don't look very changed from robot mode. The wings can't easily be posed because something interferes no matter how you try to do it.

Ah well. My expectations going in were pretty low, so maybe that's why I don't dislike it. I will say I am glad to see the rampant reductions in size/paint/everything seem to be reversing.

#5245 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:09 AM

This is the FoC Grimlock...correct? Never seen it at any stores.

https://lh4.googleus...1tlJ4osa=s220-c

How much was it at Walmart?

P R O V E H I T O   I N   A L T U M

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#5246 FatBoyInside

FatBoyInside

Money costs too much

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

I ordered MP Soundwave and I think I'm gonna sell it and buy the hasbro version

Yeah, my friend also regrets importing the MP Soundwave after hearing about the hasbro version on the horizon this year. Hopefully, I will be able to score one.

My Current Lowball Sale is NOW CLOSED.  I lost so much sweat & tears. [cries] 

animePSP2.jpg

#5247 wingzero16

wingzero16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

I was looking for transformers G1 starscream and soundwave I just have no idea where to look and what a decent price would

#5248 blandstalker

blandstalker

I am Irrelevant Bitching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:49 AM

This is the FoC Grimlock...correct? Never seen it at any stores.

https://lh4.googleus...1tlJ4osa=s220-c

How much was it at Walmart?

$22.96, and that's the one.

You shouldn't have any problem finding it in the near future -- it's 3 Grimlocks to 1 Blaster. I have also seen Soundwave/Soundblaster at Target, so it looks like they'll be around.

#5249 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

$22.96, and that's the one.

You shouldn't have any problem finding it in the near future -- it's 3 Grimlocks to 1 Blaster. I have also seen Soundwave/Soundblaster at Target, so it looks like they'll be around.

I might have to get it...

Check Out My Podcast

Rival Bits

Video Games, Movies, and TV

https://itunes.apple...d884775591?mt=2

181104.pngblade3d.png

#5250 pjb16

pjb16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

FoC Blaster and Grimlock are up on Amazon.com