Support CAG - Make Purchases Through CAG's Affiliate Links [Q&A]

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
It was brought to my attention by several CAGs that there was confusion about how the CAG affiliate links work and how using them help support the site (and my extravagant lifestyle).
Q: What are Affiliate Links?
A: Affiliate links are specially encoded links that let online retailers track who has sent customers to their websites. These links are found in forum posts, the "Shop" menu in the forum header, and the "Stores" menu on the front page.

Q: How do Affiliate Links Help CAG?
A: Retailers pay a commission to CAG for purchases (not click throughs) made through these links. The commission varies, but it is generally 1%-10% of the purchase price, depending on the retailer. This money is used to pay our server bills and for improvements to the site. It is also how I make a living.
As a side-effect, when retailers see a lot of purchases made through CAG links, this sometimes gets their attention and they are more likely to provide CAG with special promotions (coupon codes, exclusive sales, etc).

Q: How do I post CAG's Affiliate Links?
A: You don't have to worry about that. The forum automatically converts most "normal" links into CAG's affiliate links. When posting deals, just post direct links to products (when possible) and the forum will do the rest.

Q: Can I post my own Affiliate Links or other web site's Affiliate Links? Why not?
A: No. Other sites usually do not allow you to post your own advertisements and this is no different. Just as I don't ask the users to help pay the costs of running this site, it is only fair that I don't host your ads at my expense. While an individual may eventually be able to procure a free game or two by posting their affiliate links here, this is how I keep the site running, pay for site improvements, and make my living. Running this site is my full-time job and I do not have any other source of income.

Additionally, if we allowed users to post their own affiliate links, the deals section would likely be overrun by postings that are not actual deals, but any opportunity for users to generate money from affiliate earnings.

I do not make exceptions to this rule because it would be too confusing to allow it in some situations and not in others. If you receive any enjoyment or benefit from using this free web site, hopefully you can respect and understand this decision.

Q: Can I support CAG by buying non-video game items or products that aren't linked to directly?
A: Yes! If you click through any affiliate link and buy any product from that retailer (not just the item directly linked), CAG will get affiliate credit. Also, you can use the "Shop" menu in the forum header or the "Stores" menu on the front page to make sure CAG gets credit.

If you have any other questions, I'll do my best to answer them here.

Thanks for your support!

Last edited by a moderator:
I always use the affiliate links for the simple fact that CAG is my start page and that handy pulldown menu is much faster than typin' in a URL when I want to browse for some games.

Quick question though...how often do you update it...? Or, more specifically, are there requirements for a store to be included on the list? I always thought it strange that Best Buy was still there despite dropping you from their affiliate program. Also, now that Lik-Sang's no more and with the frequency of links to Fry's/Outpost is there any chance of adding them to the list?

If you're going to buy something, might as well use the affiliate link. Does Google checkout effect it though? Like if I click through CAG then add something to my cart but use Google checkout instead of the regular checkout process.

[quote name='6669']Can you choose your affiliates? If you had DeepDiscountDVD.com, we'd hook you up real good ;)[/QUOTE]

No doubt.

[quote name='pop311']Cheapy, can you tell us how much each link gets you (%-wise) so we know how much we are helping you out.[/quote] I'm pretty sure this is against the terms of most, if not all affiliate programs...generally speaking it's 3%-10%.

[quote name='CheapyD']I'm pretty sure this is against the terms of most, if not all affiliate programs...generally speaking it's 3%-10%.[/quote]Oh, I didn't know that. Nevermind#-o

Hey Cheapy, i just order a new widescreen monitor from newegg.com, i used the store link. there's my 2 cent's. hope it help's.

CAG Rock's !!!!

Cheapy;

I put Castlevania Portrait of Ruin in my cart from the CAG Amazon best sellers page (linked from CAG). During that same browser session I also searched Amazon and put two pre-order dvds in my cart. I then checked out all three items for a total of about $90. Does this mean you will get credit for all 3 items I pre-ordered?

[quote name='wageslave']Cheapy;

I put Castlevania Portrait of Ruin in my cart from the CAG Amazon best sellers page (linked from CAG). During that same browser session I also searched Amazon and put two pre-order dvds in my cart. I then checked out all three items for a total of about $90. Does this mean you will get credit for all 3 items I pre-ordered?[/quote]Yes sir! Thanks for your support!

There have been a few recent complaints about CAG not allowing users to post their own affiliate links. In an effort to address this, I've added something to the OP.

Q: Can I post my own Affiliate Links or other web site's Affiliate Links? Why not?
A: No. Other sites usually do not allow you to post your own advertisements and this is no different. Just as I don't ask the users to help pay for costs of running this site, it is only fair that I don't host your ads at my expense. While an individual may eventually be able to procure a free game or two by posting their affiliate links here, this is how I keep the site running, pay for site improvements, and put food on my table. Running this site is my full-time job and I do not have any other source of income.

I do not make exceptions to this rule because it would be too confusing to allow it in some situations and not in others. If you receive any enjoyment or benefit from using this free web site, hopefully you can respect and understand this decision.

I've bought a shitload of Amazon HD DVDs lately, but I know half of the links I've clicked here, the other half I've typed them in myself. So, if you're not receiving money due to my purchases, it ain't going to anyone else. Either way, I know I've helped out some at the very least. :)

Are affiliate links in signatures allowed?
I've seen one person (in the "Signature Help" thread) that has what appears to be a PA affiliate banner/link as their signature.

Damn, if I had read this thread a while ago, I would have bought my college texts through the Amz link. I'll have to get my brother to do it then.

ill have to do this next time i buy something...least i can do for the great deals and awesome podcast i get to hear

Well, I couldn't find the thread about supporting CAG through the Netflix link, but since I couldn't find a 1-month free code, I went through and supported CAG through link on the podcast on the homepage. I know it's an especially tough/rough economy, and the only way we're all going to make it through is if we support our own/help each other out.

Oops, just bought a game like 20 minutes ago and didnt know this. Does buying from another merchant thats not Amazon in the Amazon store count also?

[quote name='CheapyD']
Q: Can I support CAG by buying non-video game items or products that aren't linked to directly?
A: Yes! If you click through any affiliate link and buy any product from that retailer (not just the item directly linked), CAG will get affiliate credit. Also, you can use the "Shop" menu in the forum header or the "Stores" menu on the front page to make sure CAG gets credit.[/QUOTE]

I don't see the "Stores" menu on the front page, (maybe because I run Adblock Plus & NoSCript) but I'll use the "Shop" menu in the forum header next time I buy something thru Amazon.

Q: Do I have to buy stuff that I put in my shopping cart on that initial visit linked from CAG or do you get affiliate cash even if it sits in my cart for a week or until the ECA codes work again?

Q: If I add some stuff to my shopping cart from CAG link to Amazon one day, then put another item in it the next day, where I just typed in the Amazon URL and shopped without CAG help, will all items in the cart get credited to CAG as the affiliate, or only the items I put in the cart after linking from CAG? Is it better for the site if I take the item out of the shopping cart, link through CAG and then re-add the item so that CAG gets all the affiliate credit?

I find myself shopping a few days at Amazon (and loading up my cart), then buying on another day, so I'm always curious. And repopulating my whole shopping cart would take a bit of time, so I'm hoping to avoid it.

ianoid, I'm not too sure, but if you visit Amazon (or any site) through a CAG link, and then make the purchase, CAG gets credit. I don't think it matters when the stuff is added to your cart.

So, just to make sure, if i go to amazon thru the link for the Spend $80, get $40 credit CheapyD gets some proceeds? Is it like this on all the links posted or do you have to go through the store section? Ive been around the site for awhile but i just wanted to make sure i was aiding in the "Help CheapyD reach Internet SpacePimp Status" fund.

Regarding putting a store product link in the first place:

It appears just looking at some links for store products that a specific cart or session ID is part of the address as it appears in my browser. How do I get a link address that is "more generic"?

Maybe it's just my imagination and web addresses are flat out complex these days.

I was unable to locate any information on how to become a listed retailer. I own geeksetc.com and have over 5,000 titles in stock and would be interested in becoming a listed retailer/affiliate. Please advise.

I have ordered quite a bit from yesasia.com, and I noticed that they have an affiliate program. They often have stock and lower prices than PlayAsia, and would be a nice alternative for CAG importers, while giving you some money back. Have you already considered them?

I am sure you don't have an affiliate with every retailer, if we find a deal from a small retailer that you probably do not have an affiliate with (let's say the a state specific game store), are we allowed to post these deals even though you won't benefit from it? (sorry if this is already asked)

[quote name='Morpha']I am sure you don't have an affiliate with every retailer, if we find a deal from a small retailer that you probably do not have an affiliate with (let's say the a state specific game store), are we allowed to post these deals even though you won't benefit from it? (sorry if this is already asked)[/QUOTE]

Of course! Just don't post your own affiliate link, please.

[quote name='CheapyD']Of course! Just don't post your own affiliate link, please.[/QUOTE]

Since you're reading this, just a heads up that the Email alerts need to be fixed. I just got one for LBP2 and it had all the internet hash tags.

< it looked like this > < all the the way through >

if i bookmark a Affiliate Links would you still get credit it for it or do i have go the Affiliate Links everytime :lol:

Trade4Cash.com, has an affiliate program, it just uses a promo code. For example we could get CAG setup with a 'CAG' promo code, then everytime anyone uses that code, the customer will receive an additional 10% on their Trade in order and CAG will receive 10% in form of a Commission... Win WIn

Interested? We'd love to get you signed up!

Ive been trying to figure this out for a week and no one knows. What is the difference btwn the green and blue links to the strings? This question, it haunts me

bread's done
Back