Photo
- - - - -

One and Only "____ is wrong with my Wii" General Questions/Help Topic.

• Please log in to reply
525 replies to this topic

#511 BLink

BLink

Since 2005

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:00 AM

It finally worked for now but if it keeps coming back than I'll have to do the cleaning.

#512 donssword

donssword

Gaming longer than u

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

Playing Call of Duty Black Ops? That will fry your optical drive. Lots of documentation about this around the interwebs if you look--the Wii doesn't have enough RAM so the game continually streams content off the disc.

It's relatively easy to replace your own optical drive:
http://consolezombie...eplacement.html

And, it does not change your machine ID so you don't lose all your DL content.

--
My first console: the Teletype 33.

DonsSword.png

#513 BLink

BLink

Since 2005

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:11 AM

Never played Black Ops on the Wii and also it seems to be working now as today I tried a couple of games without any problems.

#514 donssword

donssword

Gaming longer than u

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:22 PM

today I tried a couple of games without any problems.

That's awesome. Maybe some dirt was just lodged up in there.

--

DonsSword.png

#515 Obiwan456

Obiwan456

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:36 AM

Just bought a used wii at gamestop on sale. Not sure if my wiimote should be doing this. Whenever I move the cursor around of click a button it rumbles. Don't remember noticing it in game, but it is very apparent in the main wii menu.

#516 donssword

donssword

Gaming longer than u

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

Just bought a used wii at gamestop on sale. Not sure if my wiimote should be doing this. Whenever I move the cursor around of click a button it rumbles. Don't remember noticing it in game, but it is very apparent in the main wii menu.

That's normal behavior.

I pretend it's Nintendo's apology for not including rumble in their Wavebirds for the GCN.

--

DonsSword.png

#517 Obiwan456

Obiwan456

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:01 PM

Oh, okay, thanks!

#518 TeaBisquit

TeaBisquit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

Hey guys, I have a wii from 2006 (I think ...) and a couple months ago while playing Xenoblade, it froze, hard, had to shut down by holding the power button). I tried again, and it would freeze after playing the game a couple minutes. The disc was completely clean, I was so confused because I'd logged ~20 hours into that game already without problems. I tried again and it wouldn't even recognize the disc. So I tried Twilight Princess brand new out of the packaging and the wii wouldn't read that either. My brother had piled a bunch of his light fluffy duvets (blankets) ontop of the wii for a couple days before this happened, but the wii was off or in standby that whole time.

I did some research but I forget what it was that I found out, it was nothing definitive, all I remember is that people had to send their wii in for repairs. I would gladly do this if it didn't cost $80 while I can buy a brand new wii with New Super Mario Bros and a soundtrack cd for $100. I don't want to lose my Wiiware and VC games (I'm not okay with flushing money down the drain) or my saves either way...

Wat do?

#519 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

Hey guys, I have a wii from 2006 (I think ...) and a couple months ago while playing Xenoblade, it froze, hard, had to shut down by holding the power button). I tried again, and it would freeze after playing the game a couple minutes. The disc was completely clean, I was so confused because I'd logged ~20 hours into that game already without problems. I tried again and it wouldn't even recognize the disc. So I tried Twilight Princess brand new out of the packaging and the wii wouldn't read that either. My brother had piled a bunch of his light fluffy duvets (blankets) ontop of the wii for a couple days before this happened, but the wii was off or in standby that whole time.

I did some research but I forget what it was that I found out, it was nothing definitive, all I remember is that people had to send their wii in for repairs. I would gladly do this if it didn't cost $80 while I can buy a brand new wii with New Super Mario Bros and a soundtrack cd for $100. I don't want to lose my Wiiware and VC games (I'm not okay with flushing money down the drain) or my saves either way...

Wat do?

Though I don't have any good advice on your current situation (I would probably do the Nintendo repair just to save your digital games), though I know that when the Wii is in Standby mode (Wii Connect 24 turned on), it does get pretty hot even when the console is not turned on (LED is orange on the Wii console).

Personally I keep Wii Connect 24 disabled at all times, unless I want to check something that would require it being enabled (I think the News and Weather channels). Again, not going to help out your current situation, but I would definitely keep that in mind as a possible reason for failure.

#520 J7.

J7.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:40 AM

I want to store NES, SNES, and N64 games on an SD card. Not sure what size I need. At least 2 gb. So should I get a regular SD card or a SDHC card? Are there any differences on Wii for SD vs SDHC? I thought I had read something about some Virtual Console games not being able to be put on SDHC, but now I can't find that info anywhere. NOTE: I don't want multiple SD cards.

#521 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

I want to store NES, SNES, and N64 games on an SD card. Not sure what size I need. At least 2 gb. So should I get a regular SD card or a SDHC card? Are there any differences on Wii for SD vs SDHC? I thought I had read something about some Virtual Console games not being able to be put on SDHC, but now I can't find that info anywhere. NOTE: I don't want multiple SD cards.

I have a 2 GB card, and it has plenty of room still left on it.  How many VC titles are we talking about?

#522 J7.

J7.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:33 PM

I have a 2 GB card, and it has plenty of room still left on it.  How many VC titles are we talking about?

Not sure. At some point maybe like 10 NES, 10 SNES, 10 N64 games.

#523 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:15 PM

Not sure. At some point maybe like 10 NES, 10 SNES, 10 N64 games.

You should be perfectly fine, though if you want to check, you can use this guide as a rough reference for each individual game, plus the extra block of data (or so) for the save file.  A 2 GB card is the equivalent of 12~15,000 blocks if unused, so that should be more than enough.

#524 J7.

J7.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:37 AM

Thank you.

#525 spaboolly

spaboolly

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

Hi guys (sorry for this being a bit of a bump, but it's a pinned thread so I assume it's okay).  My Wii U pro controller has mysteriously stopped working.  When I plug it in, the charging light initially comes on.  But when I try to use it, even with it still plugged in, absolutely nothing happens.  No flashing blue lights, no battery light, nothing.  I have tried re-syncing it, but again nothing happens at all.  It's like it's either completely dead or it is not interacting with the console at all.  I've had it for a couple months and it worked fine until the last few days.  Has anyone else had a problem like this?  Would I take it into the store where I bought it (even though it was several months ago) or try to deal with going through Nintendo repair?  Thanks for the help.

ForumTriforce2.jpg
Scribe. Purveyor of Logic. Player of Video Games.

#526 elmetfano

elmetfano

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:07 PM

I have a predicament.

So I have this USB External HDD...

Western Digital
UPC 718037731391

External

320GB

Portable

USB 2.0

And I'm following the general steps one needs to take in order to format it but I get stuck at step 3 according to nintendolife.com

http://www.nintendol..._with_the_wii_u

Step 3: If you're using a drive with external power, make sure it's plugged into its own power outlet. If you're using a USB-powered drive, make sure you're using a Y-cable and both USB ports on the back of the Wii U.

I have The Y cable and everything.  The 320GB WD works on my PC.  and a USB flashdrive formats fine with my Wii U.  What can I do to make this work?

Things to Know:  Prior to powering on the console, I have it set up so 320 GB USB HDD is connect to Y cable , which is connected to Wii U.  No lights turn on but! If I power on the console first, then plug the Y cable to the Wii U and then finally the external HDD, the lights go on (but still wont format)

so weird :wall:

i think i put enough details lol