Wii FAQ 1.5 *ATTN MODS: PLEASE LOCK BUT LEAVE STICKIED FOR NOW, THANK YOU!!*

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
253 replies to this topic

#31 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 05:49 AM

Anyway to move the channels around? Like switch the order of the VC games?

#32 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 05:55 AM

Anyway to move the channels around? Like switch the order of the VC games?

Just like the Mii Channel, hold A+B and you can move them around.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#33 j_factor

j_factor

Kickin' cyborg butt...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 05:56 AM

What?? There is 8 bits in a byte...

Right... on all the old cartridge systems, the standard unit of measurement for the size of a game was a meg (megabit). Now we use MB (megabyte) for everything. 1 MB = 8 megs. I don't think those quoted sizes above are correct because I don't think there were any 8 meg NES games ever. I think the largest was 4 meg and I'm not 100% sure that there even any of those (I know there were some for SMS, just not sure about NES). So unless the VC ROMs have loads of additional data, it wouldn't make sense for an NES game to be 1 MB.

#34 asgaga

asgaga

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 05:57 AM

I believe to move the channels around just hold a and b over any channel.
believe thats how i did it.

#35 jezebelseven

jezebelseven

I want to music

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 06:01 AM

Is my Wii's disc slot supposed to glow blue the whole time?
No. It only glows blue when you have a message waiting for you that someone has sent. This occurs after you shut off your Wii, as it will still periodically connect to WiiConnect24 and look for messages to download from your registered friends..

Just a point of clarification (If I'm even right on this-- I'm not sure!)-- Shouldn't it be 'This occurs after you put your Wii in standby.'? I haven't turned mine off much, just put it in standby, and I know it happens in standby (orange light), does it happen in off (red light) as well?

Posted Image

#36 FlipSide

FlipSide

Made in the Philippines

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 06:03 AM

Good job on the FAQ..

I think on the SD issue: (this is from Wikipedia Wii Page)
Expansion available via SD card memory, 2 GB maximum supported capacity.

Anyone else having trouble connecting their Wii to the internet? Maybe its just my router (DLink DI-624)..sometimes I can and sometimes I cant..
Posted Image

#37 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 06:04 AM

Just a point of clarification (If I'm even right on this-- I'm not sure!)-- Shouldn't it be 'This occurs after you put your Wii in standby.'? I haven't turned mine off much, just put it in standby, and I know it happens in standby (orange light), does it happen in off (red light) as well?

Nope, red light means it's in standby, but WiiConnect24 is off.

#38 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 06:13 AM

Thanks for the faq. I am still buying a classic controller, because I am not playing nes games on that Fucking small gamecube d-pad.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#39 hohez

hohez

Rarely Posting

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 06:22 AM

My 2gb kingston SD card has 15709 blocks total. Which puts it at .127mb per block.

Seeing as the Wii internal memory, is 2163 total blocks. If the ratio holds true, only about 280mb of the Wiis Internal memory is available for game saving.

#40 jezebelseven

jezebelseven

I want to music

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 06:29 AM

Nope, red light means it's in standby, but WiiConnect24 is off.

I guess my point is 'after you shut off your wii' sounds like its... off. Like totally unpowered. And then it's not on WiiConnect24, so it shouldn't ever glow blue when it's off. The only time it will glow blue is when its.. in orange mode. Whatever that is. I'm confusing myself. I just think it's worded a bit weird.

Posted Image

#41 Deefuzz

Deefuzz

Comfortably Numb

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:05 AM

great post..good wealth of wiiformation there

#42 evilmax17

evilmax17

Yardsaling CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:14 AM

Screw wireless! I wanna go online through wires! I am a caveman and/or worried about security!

You dick.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#43 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:28 AM

Right... on all the old cartridge systems, the standard unit of measurement for the size of a game was a meg (megabit). Now we use MB (megabyte) for everything. 1 MB = 8 megs. I don't think those quoted sizes above are correct because I don't think there were any 8 meg NES games ever. I think the largest was 4 meg and I'm not 100% sure that there even any of those (I know there were some for SMS, just not sure about NES). So unless the VC ROMs have loads of additional data, it wouldn't make sense for an NES game to be 1 MB.

It appears that all of these games are "wrapped" with either a large amount of encryption data or each download is actually the full executable, in which case Nintendo could very well be writing individual emulators for each game. The reason I say this is because a friend of mine showed me his Super Mario 64 download, which was 11MB. The original game was 8.00MB (64 megabit) so there's 3MB of 'padding' there.

Take that for what you will.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#44 Grave_Addiction

Grave_Addiction

The Sega Nerd

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:43 AM

Good stuff. This is some handy information.

Follow me on Twitter @airforcewriter

Listen to The Bit Loaders Show here!

#45 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:51 AM

I guess my point is 'after you shut off your wii' sounds like its... off. Like totally unpowered. And then it's not on WiiConnect24, so it shouldn't ever glow blue when it's off. The only time it will glow blue is when its.. in orange mode. Whatever that is. I'm confusing myself. I just think it's worded a bit weird.

It'll glow blue while the Wii is on, too.

#46 io

io

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:30 AM

I believe that you cannot send photos from your Wii to an email address. I specifically read this somewhere (thought it was in the photo channel itself, but I'm not sure). I know that when I wrote an email to someone from the Wii I did not have the option to add a picture. HOWEVER, I could attach a Mii to it, which is interesting. Does that come through in the email? I suppose I could set up one for my own email, but, meh, the Wii is in the other room now and I'm lazy. I'll try it later though.

#47 lilboo

lilboo

Not addicted to WoW

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 10:58 AM

aw i helped out in the FAQ I feel special lol :D
Thanks Strell!

EDIT: I just tried. You CAN'T backup your gamecube saves onto SD.

Now Playing:
:pc: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

:pc: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

:wiiu: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

:3ds: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

:3ds: Pokemon Battle Trozei

#48 hohez

hohez

Rarely Posting

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:25 PM

I believe that you cannot send photos from your Wii to an email address. I specifically read this somewhere (thought it was in the photo channel itself, but I'm not sure). I know that when I wrote an email to someone from the Wii I did not have the option to add a picture. HOWEVER, I could attach a Mii to it, which is interesting. Does that come through in the email? I suppose I could set up one for my own email, but, meh, the Wii is in the other room now and I'm lazy. I'll try it later though.

Miis don't show up through email, just tried it out. Also tried to send a photo, and it wouldn't let me. So those are both confirmed no go's.

#49 Blaine

Blaine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 01:01 PM

I believe that you cannot send photos from your Wii to an email address. I specifically read this somewhere (thought it was in the photo channel itself, but I'm not sure).

You can email images to the Wii, you can not email images from the Wii.
As for the Mii... yeah, I didn't try that either.

#50 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 01:05 PM

You can email images to the Wii, you can not email images from the Wii.
As for the Mii... yeah, I didn't try that either.

If I'm not mistaken I believe Nintendo said this feature would be more robust in the future. Can't recall where I read / heard that however.

Posted Image

#51 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 01:45 PM

This is a great FAQ. So how do I get online with my Wii? I have a Linksys WRT54G router and it is located in the same space as the Wii so signal strength should not be an issue.

I go into settings and select "Wireless" for my connection but everytime I test it I get an error.

What is an SSID? Do I need to fill something in there? I'm guessing it's the name of my secured network (javeryh) but I have no idea what the password is and I always get an error at that step. I'm pretty sure I have WEP security enabled. I have no idea how to change settings on my router and my laptop can connect to it with no problem. Any ideas?

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#52 furyk

furyk

Captain of the Handheld

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 02:16 PM

Awesome post Strell. Add in that the Wii is compatible with the Freeloader at the moment to play import games. Just insert the Freeloader, turn off the system, turn the system back on again, and load the Freeloader. It then works normally as a boot disc for all of your moon games.

#53 Michaellvortega

Michaellvortega

Halo 3 is coming........

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 02:34 PM

This is a great FAQ. So how do I get online with my Wii? I have a Linksys WRT54G router and it is located in the same space as the Wii so signal strength should not be an issue.

I go into settings and select "Wireless" for my connection but everytime I test it I get an error.

What is an SSID? Do I need to fill something in there? I'm guessing it's the name of my secured network (javeryh) but I have no idea what the password is and I always get an error at that step. I'm pretty sure I have WEP security enabled. I have no idea how to change settings on my router and my laptop can connect to it with no problem. Any ideas?

go to 192.168.0.1 then wireless settings and see what the wireless key is.
DISCLAIMER:These postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Posted Image

#54 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 02:38 PM

It appears that all of these games are "wrapped" with either a large amount of encryption data or each download is actually the full executable, in which case Nintendo could very well be writing individual emulators for each game. The reason I say this is because a friend of mine showed me his Super Mario 64 download, which was 11MB. The original game was 8.00MB (64 megabit) so there's 3MB of 'padding' there.

Take that for what you will.

Isn't the instruction booklet also part of the download? That would likely be some of that extra space. I hope they do box art and other "extras" in the future.

#55 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 02:40 PM

Bomberman 93 is 29 blocks. I have one VC game and 2126 'blocks' left. Red Steel is 3 blocks, Wii Sports is 2.

I'm interested in hearing from someone with Mario64, but... yeah, I can confirm you can easily get 70+ TG-16 games. Considering you have less than 50 channel slots... yeah.

Hmm. I'd be able to figure this out if I knew how much of the internal memory was used up by the system, but what, pray tell, is the MB<->'Blocks' formula?
Posted Image

#56 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 02:42 PM

Thanks for the FAQ Strell.

Here's another question, which I think I know the answer to, but I don't know if I'm right. Is the Wii capable of outputting progressive scan for Gamecube games?

I am seriously considering selling off my cube along with the component cables if the Wii can do everything the cube can. The only difference I see is the GB Player, but I hardly use that anyway.

fs_overall.png

#57 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 02:50 PM

I thought I had heard you could use any USB Ethernet Adapter with the Wii? I'd love to get a cheaper non-nintendo one..

TRASH PANIC iLdJv6N.png TRASH PANIC

#58 ArthurDigbySellers

ArthurDigbySellers

Not exactly a lightweight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:05 PM

Go to http://192.168.1.1 (the default address for Linksys admin pages). Enter your admin password in the 'password' field. It is 'admin' by default if you haven't changed it.

Click on the Wireless tab. You will be on the Basic Wireless Settings page.

- Set Wireless Network Mode to 'Mixed' This will allow devices that use both B and G wireless protocols to connect.

- The SSID is listed next. Note what it is.

- Check to see if Wireless SSID broadcast is turned on. If it is, then your Wii will be able to detect it. If not, you will need to manually enter it.

- See if SES security is turned on. I would recommend turning it off since it seems to cause nothing but problems for me.

Click on the Wireless Security option.

- Note your Security Mode setting, you'll need to specify it later
- If your setting is set to WEP, take note of your key which should be listed below
- If your setting is set to WAP, take note of your shared key which should be listed below

Click on the Wireless Mac Filter option

- If it is turned off, save any changes and exit
- If it is turned on, get the MAC address of your Wii and enter it into the MAC filter settings
- Save changes and exit

Power cycle your Wii and try again.

Currently Drinking:
Homebrew

#59 rabidmonkeys

rabidmonkeys

Been there. Played that.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:05 PM

Every router has a default IP that you can login to to change the settings. If you are wifi, you need to connect via LAN first in case you change a setting that will lock you out or brick the router. But if you do, the reset button on the back and start over from scratch.

Linksys's routers are almost always (unless changed during setup) 192.168.1.1. Just shove that number in your address bar and connect. It will ask you for username/password, then you can access all of your settings. If you have WEP enabled, it's a 10 digit code and most people who set it up just use their phone number for easy recall.

Hope this helps.
Xbox Live GamerTag: HCG Paco

#60 glockant

glockant

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:20 PM

I thought I had heard you could use any USB Ethernet Adapter with the Wii? I'd love to get a cheaper non-nintendo one..

so, is it possible?

anyone?
Posted ImagePosted Image