"A List" Videogame website "Celebrities"

MSUnman

CAGiversary!
Wombat wont play this game but I will, in my opinion the videogame internet celebrities are....

Luke Smith from 1up.com
Shane Bettenhouse from EGM and 1up.com
John Davison from 1up.com
Jeff Gerstman from Gamespot.com
Larry Hyrb aka Major Nelson from majornelson.com
and last but not least CheapyD and Wombat of course. (and Im not being a kissass)

I think all the guys listed have a special talent for stating their opinion in a entertaining and informative way that surpasses others. They all take risks but do it in a smart manner which adds lots of value to what they are contributing to. Everyone on this list you can for the most part here on a consistent weekly basis, and there opinions are very well respected.

My honorable mention list- (people that are close but not quite there yet.)
Kathleen Sanders from 1up.com (great in videopodcast, but dont see any reviews and dont hear her in audio podcasts.)
Dan Shu from 1up.com (Needs more to always be on egm podcast and could use more exposure)
Alon Waisman from chatterbox radio show (Consistent show, good work, but his radio show is too disorganized at times so the opinions get lost. Also is a bit of dork, which I seperates him too much from the general videogame crowd)
Tony Thomas and Ryan Maule from VGM Daily podcast (For a daily show its inconsistent, sometimes there is 5 epidoes sometimes ther is only 2 to 3 episodes. There radio show tries to be too much, reviews are not needed and tend to be limited due to radio format and there scale of 1 to 5, short opinions would do just fine and be more entertaining.)

Just because these people have videogame podcasts/blogs or write articles do not make them celebs. I agree with Wombat, there are none yet. I would say that Cliffy B, and maybe Kevin Rose are two who may rise to celeb status. Other that that all others are just people working in the industry of videogames.

I left out the programmers/game creaters, if I were to add them they would be
Cliffy B. (Epic)
Peter Moore (Microsoft)
Reggie Fil Aime (Nintendo)
David Jaffe (God Of War / Sony Games)
Will Wright (Spore, Sim City, The Sims, etc.)

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I love me some video games but none of these names are familiar to me.[/QUOTE]

Same here.

The only people who come close these days are the guys who run Penny Arcade. They do some big shit.

these guys might be celebrities to a certain type of gamer, but I sure as hell don't know them. and I'm not too sure how well known Wombat and CheapyD are outside the CAG community. Cheapy has had a lot of outside plugs, but you wouldn't assume a non-cag knows him.

The only name besides cheapy D's I recognised on your list was Shane Bettenhouse from EGM and 1up.com and that's only because he is a personal friend of mine from Lexington, KY! He's fucking representing! I'll let him know about his celebrity status when I see him in January.

[quote name='evilomar']The only name besides cheapy D's I recognised on your list was Shane Bettenhouse from EGM and 1up.com and that's only because he is a personal friend of mine from Lexington, KY! He's fucking representing! I'll let him know about his celebrity status when I see him in January.[/QUOTE]
He likes to tell stories about the EB he worked at back home in KY from time to time on 1up Yours or EGM Live.

When you see him next, you have to call him "Special Guest" Shane Bettenhousen. He'll get it.

Unless they read their respective sites a lot or follow the industry closely, most people aren't going to know those names. If you're talking about gaming writers with the biggest audience, it would be the ones who write for big mainstream outlets like the NY Times, the AP, Reuters, Newsweek, and MTV.

BTW, Greg Kasavin toally owns Jeff Gerstmann as far as Gamespot goes.

an "A-list celebrity" is a

Brad Pitt and Angelina.

Tom and Katie.

Beyonce and Jay-Z

There is nobody on the internet and CERTAINLY nobody in the Gamer community who has that kind of recognition or devotion.

Now, you can make up your own new scale for the internet and just pick The Most Famous Person on the whole internet as the top of your scale.

not one person in the gaming community can be considered a a-list celeb in the real world, shame really.. first I thought Mr.[SIZE=-1]Miyamoto[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] but no one really knows him like that..

Wombat is right.. again.
[/SIZE]

bread's done
Back