Photo
- - - - -

Review Scores In Video Game Reviews - Good or Bad? Your thoughts, Please!

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Review Scores In Video Game Reviews - Good or Bad?

Review Scores In Video Game Reviews - Good or Bad?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 PyroGamer

PyroGamer

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:17 AM

They're good. What's bad is people taking the review scores out of context. Also when people bitch over review scores. Reviews are subjective opinions, nothing more, a number doesn't mean much if not taken in context.

We don't need to get rid of review scores, we need to get rid of dumb readers.

#32 joeljermon

joeljermon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:36 AM

I don't like it when people get in pissing matches about how "my game scored better than yours!" or "this game got robbed!" or "it's a monstrous injustice that this game scored better than this one!" (like in one podcast I listen to). Also, scores are so subjective and fiddly - this game got a 9.1? Why not a 9? What gives it that extra 1 point? And generally, the full scale is not used. In theory, a 6 should be a decent but flawed game that some will enjoy, and even a 5 should be something that may be worth buying for a select few. In practice, people often view anything below 8 as worthless.

However, I'm not sure if going scoreless will solve everything. Computer Gaming World (now Games for Windows Offical Magazine) tried going without scores for a few months, and eventually switched back to scores because both their writers and their readers liked it better.

#33 felixlighter

felixlighter

Post Pruner

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:35 PM

I think reviews score are good for a quick reference. I go to Gamerankings to get a sense if I should even waste my time reading a review. The way I look at review scores is like this:

Based on Gamerankings compiled reviews:

9+: Crazy high, Probably very high quality game. Even if I have no interest in the game, I will read some reviews to see what the excitement is all about.

7-9: High quality game. May have some flaws, if I was anticipating the game, I read reviews to see what was done right and what was done wrong and make my choose based on that criteria.

5-7: Medicore quality. The game did some things right but has several flaws or a major flaw. I only take the time to read the reviews if I was already very excited about the game, otherwise I don't read the reviews.

0-5: Lousy. Don't waste time reading reviews, fundamentally flawed

No matter what the score is though, I read several reviews before making a purchasing.
Posted Image