160 dollar xbox 360 premium holiday bundle---best cheap ass gamer deal ever?

jacksak

CAG Veteran
I had to work to make this deal a reality...but I'm convinced that I got the best deal ever. EB games is selling all of its DVD movies for $1.99. Blockbuster is paying 5$ trade credit per dvd. So, I went into my local EB games, bought 120 dvds for 240 bucks and sold them to blockbuster down the road for $600.00 trade credit, then bought an xbox 360 premium holiday bundle (inc. GRAW and arcade unplugged) for 512$ inc. taxes, leaving me with 88$ credit. To put this in perspective, then, I spent 240 dollars at EB games and turned that into 80 dollars credit and an xbox 360 at Blockbuster!!! (so, it's like I got the xbox 360 for 160 dollars!!!!)

Best cheap ass game deal ever? :bouncy:

Nice but I maintain that RE4 for $10 will never be beat in terms of sheer bang for your buck.

Well... if I think about it you might have a better deal... less than 1/2 price for a current gen system... hmmm....

just to clarify....blockbusters across canada are offereing MINIMUM 5$ for dvd trade-in's for a limited time...I got 5$ for all dvd's except for one--"men with brooms"--they gave me 6.50 for that one. But this isn't a YMMV deal....

I'm honestly contemplating doing this. I just might have difficulties finding around 110-120 DVDs at a local EB.

[quote name='jacksak']just to clarify....blockbusters across canada are offereing MINIMUM 5$ for dvd trade-in's for a limited time...I got 5$ for all dvd's except for one--"men with brooms"--they gave me 6.50 for that one. But this isn't a YMMV deal....[/quote]

What's a "canada?"

Good shit man--Blockbuster always seems to be involved with the best flipping deals. This rivals what I did with the CC clearance sale over the summer (I turned $270 into a premium, Rainbow Six Vegas, Madden 07, an extra controller, a GH2 bundle and a $100 gift card).

uh I just called my blockbuster they said certain titles have a buyback quaniotty of 0 so they wont take some titles.

So don;t stock up on too many of the same title if you plan to do this.

$5 minimum store credit offer available for a limited time only, on DVDs otherwise eligible for trade-in in accordance with Blockbuster’s standards for type of DVD, condition of DVD and packaging, and which are on Blockbuster’s then current list of titles accepted for trade-in, all as determined by Blockbuster in its sole discretion from time to time. No duplicate titles. DVDs with damaged cover art may be accepted by Blockbuster in its sole discretion buy may receive less than $5 store credit. Must be a member and have signed a trading agreement to trade. Traders subject to DVD Trading Terms and Conditions available at store. Title list and amount of store credit subject to change at any time without notice. No cash, only store credit will be given for trades. No dealers or retailers. Participating stores only. See store for full details. BLOCKBUSTER name, design and related marks are trademarks of Blockbuster Inc. © 2006 Blockbuster Inc. All rights reserved

[quote name='Lockescythe']and which are on Blockbuster’s then current list of titles accepted for trade-in, all as determined by Blockbuster in its sole discretion from time to time. [/quote]
I wonder where this "list" is.

Hmm, that might cause some issues. But then again, I guess we can just guess and see which movies are decent enough.

[quote name='cknewdeal']what does YMMV mean?[/quote]
Your Mileage Might Vary. Basically it means you might not have success trying to obtain a deal.

Myself I've never seen a Blockbuster take trade-in's, and none of my local EBs are flipping any cheap DVDs (let alone a selection of 100+ discs).

all of the eb's in edmonton have their entire used dvd stock in 1.99 bins.

Gratz to the op. Great show.

Now too bad edmonton doesn't have a blockbuster that buys used dvds.

Okay, to bring up an issue in this community: Why does something like this get praised but when someone does the same thing by returning a game without a receipt for store credit, it's looked down upon?

Wait returning a game bought somewhere else to a store which they didn't buy it from? Well thats different...isn't this about buying DVDs from some place and trading them in for Blockbuster Credit? See they aren't returning anything...Blockbuster WANTS the DVDs and they see they can make a profit for them. They don't care if you trade them DVDs....they want you to. It's perfectly fine so I don't see a problem there.

I think what you're talking about is buying a game from a different store and returning it to a place like EB games for store credit, where of course they only accept returns from their own store. This is way different cause you're making EB games buy something they didn't want or never had...well not sure how to explain it... but it should be pretty self-explanatory to see how one can be looked down upon.

[quote name='SithFran']Okay, to bring up an issue in this community: Why does something like this get praised but when someone does the same thing by returning a game without a receipt for store credit, it's looked down upon?[/QUOTE]

You're very confused. A return and a trade-in are two completely different things.

[quote name='jacksak']just to clarify....blockbusters across canada are offereing MINIMUM 5$ for dvd trade-in's for a limited time...I got 5$ for all dvd's except for one--"men with brooms"--they gave me 6.50 for that one. But this isn't a YMMV deal....[/QUOTE]

Ah, Men With Brooms. Leave it to Canadians to put a higher value on a movie about curling. :)

[quote name='ragnar14']Your Mileage Might Vary. Basically it means you might not have success trying to obtain a deal.

Myself I've never seen a Blockbuster take trade-in's, and none of my local EBs are flipping any cheap DVDs (let alone a selection of 100+ discs).[/quote]

It's a Boxing Week sale. used DVDs for $2 each. Also a bunch of used games for $2 each (all that are left are crappy sports games). You're in Vancouver and I can confirm it's going on in Vancouver. Seen it at both the Capilano Mall and Metrotown locations.

Is the $2 DVD deal in the US also? EB also sells DVD boxsets, if I could nab that shit for only 2 bucks then I would be so happy.

Just to let u guys know, I bought Splinter Cell Double Agent for $69.99 on release day at EBGAMES. 2 days later I bought Splinter Double Agent at Best Buy for $59.99 + free Xbox Live Gold. Few mins after I walked out of Best Buy, I walked over to EBGAMES and returned the copy I bought from Best Buy with the EB receipt and got my $80 back.

ok the deal is VERY wonky to say at best. I bought about 20 dvds from my local eb and brought em to blockbuster. 15 of them didnt register on their computers so they wouldn't take them. 2 they had far too many of and the other 3 they took.
My advice only get REAL movies (no anime, no best of compilations and avoid anything that you've completly and totally never heard of)

Basically keep to anythign with known people in it that doesn;'t seem like it was a straight to dvd or made for tv movie.

So yeah
what they did take
:
Goldmember
Double Jeopardy
Yu Gi Oh DVD
for 5 bucks each. So just got a giftcard.

Then went back to eb where thye took all but the first 2 I bought back.
(one never came with a seal for some reason and the other the blockbuster people removed the seal on to see what was inside. I had to tell the BBv employee to check if I can trade it in first for every one after that so they wouldn't do that again)

It was a bit of work and not really profitable but if your mall has a bunch of known dvds in there its prolly wortwhile.

[quote name='Firestorm']You're in Vancouver and I can confirm it's going on in Vancouver.[/quote]
Yeah you're right, I was looking around at Oakridge and indeed they had a sale. Had, as in not anymore, they sold every DVD. The clerk even complained that he stashed a DVD by the counter and somebody snagged it while he wasn't looking :applause: I guess I should've paid more attention earlier this week, but I doubt they would've had anything good still by the time I got there.

This and returning a game to a store you didn't buy it from are completely different. I didn't go to EB until about 3.00 on boxing day but I managed to buy 20 DVDs and all but 1 worked at blockbuster. I also watched most before trading them in so it was a great value.

How the hell can you trade in 120 dvd's at Blockbuster all at once? All the Blockbusters I've ever been to had a limit of 9 trade items per customer, per day.

So OP left the EB seal sticker on the disc?

I can't imagine this working but if the seal is not broken what is the harm in trying, eh?

I asked blockbuster to scan the titles to determine which ones they'd take before opening the eb stickers to check that the correct dvd's were inside. That way, if i needed to return any to eb games the stickers would still be there... Luckily, BBV took all of the ones that I had...(and they were nice to scan them allfirst as well). Depends on the staff members you talk to I guess...

How long did it take?

What time of day did you go there?

I am thinking it would be best to go when its slow and when a 'manager' isn't around. Anyone who can use their dicretion to foil the deal should be avoided.

It took about an hour at each location...and I went to EB games at 6:45 pm, then Blockbuster at 7:45 pm...

You're right, though, there were no managers around at EB games, but I'm not sure about Blockbuster....

[quote name='Pigsofa']all of the eb's in edmonton have their entire used dvd stock in 1.99 bins.

Gratz to the op. Great show.

Now too bad edmonton doesn't have a blockbuster that buys used dvds.[/quote]

That's right - you have to go out to Sherwood Park, St. Albert, or Spruce Grove. I traded in a whack-load of DVDs (well, it seemed like lots before reading THIS thread - lol) at the St. Albert 'north' location by the Safeway/London Drugs just off the Trail, earlier in December.

Hope that helps!

Bart

[quote name='Pigsofa']Really?

Thanks Bart

good to know![/quote]

Yeah, seems stupid that EB Games in Edmonton can take trade-ins, but the BBV's can't. oh well! Luckily I go out to St. Albert quite often.

Bart

bread's done
Back