Steel Battalion for $100 at gamestop/eb

fatbeer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
After obtaining both resident evil 4 chainsaw controller for playstation 2 and gamecube.I was curious what other accessories drop in price.I asked employee price check steel battalion,the thing one that comes with big controller for xbox and it rang up $100.

I had the pleasure of playing it once... I wasn't terribly into it, but if I had a shot to buy it for $100 I'd probably do it.

I know of an eb not too far away that has two , but for 100 bones I would pass, I think the ebay prices are a bit under that on a regular basis.

[quote name='coolsteel']I know of an eb not too far away that has two , but for 100 bones I would pass, I think the ebay prices are a bit under that on a regular basis.[/QUOTE]

i think the shipping that thing is expensive as hell tho. Still it is not even close to being worth $100. $40 or $50 would be tempting, but not $100.

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']Ok. Second question: Do you think if I keep it NIB it will go up in value in a few years once it becomes even harder to find?[/quote]
Doubtful. Its been out at least 5 years. I don't see its value going up now that the price has dropped after being out for so long.

I see it regularly sell on ebay for around 125 to 150.

Strange for $100 thou at EB/BS. A local EB had one a little while back (may still have it) and only wanted $50 for it (controller, game, manual, case, but no ammo cardboard box). Some of the paint on the surface was a bit worn (near the left throttle and around a couple of more often used buttons) so I passed, as I would rather have one is good shape (that way if I wanted to part with it on ebay I would have a better chance of selling one in good condition).

One local movie/game store (not EB/GS) has had them and sells em for around $100 too. There is another store, but I'm not sure how much they charge for em (need to check next time I go by there).

"is it worth it", I think it's a toss up. I was interested in picking one up (and may still do so "some day"), but, it's definitely one of those harder core items for Mech game fans. From what I've seen, the game is slower paced (think Chrome Hounds as opposed to Mech Assault or even GunGriffon). Due to the large amount of screen taken up by the inside view of your mech, the actual view space for gameplay is a bit less. Keep in mind that multiplayer requires System Link (one setup for each XBOX), or, the Line of Sight sequal/expansion for Live play (if anyone is still playing the game online).

Oh, be sure if you are playing the game, do NOT shut off your XBOX until a mission is finished/saved/etc. If you do, the game ERASES your save (just like if you die in the game, you gotta start ALL over...yeah, it's a hardcore game that way).

Now, as all of that sounds sorta "meh", there definitely is a COOL factor associated with a 40 button HUGE desktop mech controller and pedals used to operate the game.

I'm planning on eventually picking up several original XBOX consoles and using System Link to hook them together so we (as a family) can play some of the cool games that support System Link gameplay. And, even if I eventually do this, I doubt there would ever be a chance to run across that many Steel Battalion setups...lol. :}~~~

IIRC, they shut down the servers for the online game. That means, you are almost guaranteed to be playing with yourself.

I'd probably pick one up if I could get it for $50. I've never been a mech fan myself, especially if they are slow going. (And they are.)

Word is you can set it up to work with some Mechwarrior and similar PC games with a PS2 controller adapter for your PC and some fan created drivers.

[quote name='Trebuken']Word is you can set it up to work with some Mechwarrior and similar PC games with a PS2 controller adapter for your PC and some fan created drivers.[/QUOTE]

how is that even possible?

[quote name='dracula']how is that even possible?[/quote]
I would imagine that it would work if you had the device to plug your XBox controller into a USB port.

ahh... luckily i got this one free off a bet from an ex-girlfriend with my then current girlfriend at the time!

i'd love to hook this thing up on the projector i got at my place. too bad it's been in storage for the last 2+ years.

Or, if you're insanely lucky, you can find a copy in EB without the controller for a whopping $7.18 after tax (at least in NY). That's how I ended up with my copy.

Sure, it's entirely and utterly unplayable without the controller, but during the holiday season the controller itself was going for around $55 to $70 by itself after shipping, which still isn't too bad. Luckily my brother has a controller and one is all we really need. I'll wait a while until someone accidentally lets one go for a bit cheaper.

[quote name='roymustang']untrue, I bought mine almost 2 years ago at EB and it was $150 regular price[/quote]

OBJECTION!

It was $200 originally. The game shipped on November 21st, 2002. It was already two years old when you bought it.

[quote name='roymustang']untrue, I bought mine almost 2 years ago at EB and it was $150 regular price[/QUOTE]

Well, when it first came out (when I got mine) it was 200 bucks. Worth it in my oppinion (look at my avatar though, it's a game about giant robots, I'm kinda biased :) )

Haven't checked in a while, but there may still be people playing on Kai though, even though the "official" servers were closed.

[quote name='pop311']Is the game any good?[/QUOTE]

I bought it at $150...and it's $50 good, if that includes all equipment...including the pedals. Don't forget the pedals, as they are commonly not traded-in. Anyhow, the controller is rather cheaply made. I was surprised at how cheap the plastic felt. I still enjoy it in my collection though.

I still have mine sealed in a factory Capcom shipping box. One day i'm gonna pop that bitch open. Wish online didn't die though they should make it 360 compatible. I'm still looking for the guide though so if anyone has one for sale PM me.

If anyone can't find one of these at EB I have one that's absolutely dead mint that I would sell/trade (and I won't let it go for less than $100).

I dont like mech games generally, but I got a good deal on this (at the time) a while back. Needless to say, it had no impact on my opinion of mech games except perhaps to alienate me from them even further. I sold it soon after trying it.

havn't played mine for more than a year. now i have a 56" dlp and am thinking bout it at 1 in the morning of hooking it up. sick. i've always liked mech sims since i was younger. is souther california - pasadena, they used to have this place where they had networked games, like a dave n busters place, in old town pasadena, they had a 12 - 16 network mech sim and the players sat inside these mock mech cabins/seats that were totally enclosed with big screens. back in the days....

you'd have to love gaming to appreciate steel battalion, otherwise, don't waste your time. not for everybody.

[quote name='62t']it is really too bad Capcom took out the sever for the expansion pack.[/quote]

You've got to be kidding me! I just bought the expansion about 6 months ago but haven't gotten online yet since my original Xbox "incapable" and was waiting till I could find a new original Xbox.

:cry:

Can anyone verify the current GC price? I've seen that box set at 2 GCs and have a lot of credit to burn up. It was marked at $200 and I didn't ask for a price check.

[quote name='cag1000']I still have mine sealed in a factory Capcom shipping box. One day i'm gonna pop that bitch open. Wish online didn't die though they should make it 360 compatible. I'm still looking for the guide though so if anyone has one for sale PM me.[/QUOTE]

This game will never make the 360 backcompat list - it would require M$ to make an adapter that would make XBox controllers 360 compatible. It's a shame too, I really like the game.

If anyone can find one for $100 at ebgames let me know, I'd like to get one, none in my area have it, they all laughed at me when I called :(

I think that you can still play this game online/Live.

Capcom shut down the servers for this, but that was only related to the "campaign" mode where players would fight battles in an ongoing simulated war which would be re-set every so often.

If you get Line of Contact, you should still be able to play head-to-head games online; they just won't be part of a larger developing meta-game.

[quote name='cag1000']I still have mine sealed in a factory Capcom shipping box. One day i'm gonna pop that bitch open. Wish online didn't die though they should make it 360 compatible. I'm still looking for the guide though so if anyone has one for sale PM me.[/QUOTE]

same here. I have open mine yet.

[quote name='STATIC3D']

I'm planning on eventually picking up several original XBOX consoles and using System Link to hook them together so we (as a family) can play some of the cool games that support System Link gameplay. And, even if I eventually do this, I doubt there would ever be a chance to run across that many Steel Battalion setups...lol. :}~~~[/QUOTE]

I have 3 Steel Battalion + controller sets sacked away just for this purpose. 2 of them even have their original cardboard ammo box and all packaging :)

[quote name='Serialkilla']I bought a used/complete one at EB right before Christmas for $40 after Edge discount. WELL worh it.[/QUOTE]

I bet I know what store you bought it from. I passed on it when I saw it at 50.00. Just didn't know what I would do with it.

[quote name='Rig']IIRC, they shut down the servers for the online game. That means, you are almost guaranteed to be playing with yourself.

I'd probably pick one up if I could get it for $50. I've never been a mech fan myself, especially if they are slow going. (And they are.)[/QUOTE]

what ever happened to XBconnect?

did that site finally shut down?

[quote name='bookishboy']I think that you can still play this game online/Live.

Capcom shut down the servers for this, but that was only related to the "campaign" mode where players would fight battles in an ongoing simulated war which would be re-set every so often.

If you get Line of Contact, you should still be able to play head-to-head games online; they just won't be part of a larger developing meta-game.[/quote]

That is unfortunate to hear. I would have bought this game years ago if it weren't for the $200 price tag.

Confirmed that SB is $89.99 used at GameCrazy and amazingly still $199.99 new. I guess the used units at my local GC stores were considered 'open but new'. Meh.

If someone can snag a copy locally, let me know. I'd gladly pay the $100 plus shipping. nd for your trouble, I may chuck in a game or two.

Wow, I'd pick that up if my store had it! (But I have $100s in EB-Credit :whistle2:( )

The only thing deterring me from buying that thing is it's shipping cost.

bread's done
Back