PS2 Repair thread

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#31 asuitor

asuitor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2004 - 01:04 PM

They probably measured the laser intensity as well, your laser is dead. You could go back and see if the same place would install a new laser for you (Around 80$ installed I figure) or just trade in the broken one for like 30$ store credit and buy another one. Sorry man your PS2 is toast.
XBL Tag: Chaos Rules

#32 ananag112

ananag112

CAGS FOR COCO!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2004 - 08:19 PM

One of my PS2's is acting real funny. First it takes me around 5-10 tries for the PS2 to show starting up sequence (it is not a cable problem). Then it occasionally frezes in the screen when you come up to the main menu. When I insert a disk into it, it takes several tries for the game to get past the initial few screens, but after that it works fine. Does anyone know what the problem is?
Posted Image

#33 Trakan

Trakan

Mark IV Style Motherfucker!

• Super Moderators

Posted 15 December 2004 - 08:23 PM

One of my PS2's is acting real funny. First it takes me around 5-10 tries for the PS2 to show starting up sequence (it is not a cable problem). Then it occasionally frezes in the screen when you come up to the main menu. When I insert a disk into it, it takes several tries for the game to get past the initial few screens, but after that it works fine. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Have you tried cleaning it?

#34 ananag112

ananag112

CAGS FOR COCO!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2004 - 08:25 PM

Where can I get the cleaning kit from, or do I just blow in compressed air?
Posted Image

#35 ananag112

ananag112

CAGS FOR COCO!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:58 PM

If you mean taking off the top of the PS2 and cleaning the lens, I did that. I don't understand why the menu's are freezing on me though.
Posted Image

#36 Trakan

Trakan

• Super Moderators

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:03 AM

Nope, no cleaning kit. I mean taking the top off, blow the hell out of it with compressed air, vacuum it, makes sure all vents are clear, get any dust, etc. out of there. wipe down metal surfaces with dry rag. That's what I did when I had similar problems, and it worked great afterwords.

#37 ananag112

ananag112

CAGS FOR COCO!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2004 - 01:55 AM

Nope, no cleaning kit. I mean taking the top off, blow the hell out of it with compressed air, vacuum it, makes sure all vents are clear, get any dust, etc. out of there. wipe down metal surfaces with dry rag. That's what I did when I had similar problems, and it worked great afterwords.

I did that, but it improved only slightly. Will Sony repair the PS2 even if the black tag comes off that voids the warrenty (I don't care cause my warrenty expired a while back)?
Posted Image

#38 ananag112

ananag112

CAGS FOR COCO!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2004 - 01:51 AM

RIP my PS2. You served me well :(.
Posted Image

#39 Trakan

Trakan

• Super Moderators

Posted 18 December 2004 - 01:58 AM

I did that, but it improved only slightly. Will Sony repair the PS2 even if the black tag comes off that voids the warrenty (I don't care cause my warrenty expired a while back)?

I don't think it matters anymore. Tell them you bought it used if they give you any hassle.

#40 ananag112

ananag112

CAGS FOR COCO!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2004 - 02:14 AM

Ok thanks. It seems that my PS2 is completely dead. I tried to repair it (I am mad good at this type of stuff). It worked for awhile perfectly, but after a few uses, it is completely dead. I hear a loud noise and I smell the smell of bunt rubber coming out of it. I destroyed two of my favorite games on it (GTALSA and Onimusha 3), and scratched a ton of demos and music CD's. I will see if I can trade it in for some money. My PS2 works for a few seconds (maybe even a minute) but it iis real loud and it smells so bad around it. I have no clue whats wrong with it. Wish me luck when I try to go trade it in.
Posted Image

#41 asuitor

asuitor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2004 - 05:01 AM

dude you raised the laser up too much it was rubbing against the bottom of your discs hence why your PS2 is dead, motor burnt out because of the friction on the disc and the discs are scratched, because of your laser be wicked careful when doing things like that.

Edit: Don't mess with the stupid white cog much all it does is raise and lower the laser. If your having problems its usally your laser is wicked dirty. Raising your laser might help out a bit but in the end your just screwing yourself.
XBL Tag: Chaos Rules

#42 ananag112

ananag112

CAGS FOR COCO!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2004 - 04:08 PM

I never touched the white Cog. See, what happened was I had 2 PS2's. One was my old one, the other I got as a present (it was refurbished). I tried to sell the second one, but then my first one broke. I had a warrenty on that, so I sent it to Sony so they could fix it. So, I just kept the second one so I could play my games while I was waiting for my PS2 to come back. Then this PS2 broke on me as well. I think I will just trad both of them in for one of the new PS2's. I will lower the laser and see if it works any better.
Posted Image

#43 lordxixor101

lordxixor101

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2004 - 02:24 PM

Well, I was getting the dreaded DRE's (Vice City and Xensoaga would not work on my system, even though they worked just fine previously). I actually used a guide at gamefaqs (probably the one linked to, but gamefaqs is blocked at my work, so I can't look). What worked for me was a combination of items.

First, I turned on the diagnostic mode (pushed triangle on the opening screen with no disc, and one of the options turns it on). Secondly, while in diagnosic mode, I used a $10 disc cleaner (the cd with the little brush on it). Neither worked by themselves, but both together did the trick. After doing that, I try to clean it every 6 months or so, and I haven't had another problem.

I tried writing the guide writer, but his email was no good.

I hope this can help someone.

#44 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2005 - 03:46 PM

So which repair should I try if I get no DRE, but I get a grinding noise while the disc tray opens, and a loud clicking while loading up some games?
Posted Image

#45 Scrubking

Scrubking

Feels the Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2005 - 08:40 PM

Also you cleaned the mirror under the laser, because dust gets lodged there and unless you take the housing to the laser off you cannot clean it properly.

Anyone clean other lens under the front one? I tried that method and now everything loads up perfectly-not exactly pefectly, there's just a wait for the DVDs to load up.

Does anyone have detailed instructions on how to clean the mirror under the laser lense or whatever?

Gameplay is what makes a game worth playing - not story or graphics

MY SITE

#46 Lina

Lina

Posted 27 January 2005 - 09:22 PM

Where are the CD and DVD screws for V4?

I unscrewed the expansion bay... but I don't see any silver screws anywhere.

My PS2 works, but the laser is dying.

#47 BlackTiger

BlackTiger

Posted 16 February 2005 - 05:59 AM

Taking it apart works wonders. I worked on it myself and now it work fine. I think spike TV has a good instruction guide.

#48 supermariomelee

supermariomelee

Posted 16 February 2005 - 01:08 PM

I've got a question about something. I just got mine back from repairs yesterday. I opened the box up and found the same system(that works fine now), but it was missing the expansion bay cover and a few of the stands on the bottom. Should I contact Sony again to see if they will send some replacement parts?
Posted Image

#49 Dazz

Dazz

All about the Classics

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:05 AM

I have a PS2 where the Disc tray is disaligned, any way i can get it fixed?
Posted Image

#50 goldengraham

goldengraham

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:08 AM

Having problems w my PS2, not the DRE but instead its a Disc does not load sometimes. The game will start, but when it comes to a new load screen, it sometimes will not work.

I'm thinking its the Disc drive and the laser not beingable to slide back and forth smoothly. Has anyone else had this problem before? If so let me know what you did if you could fix it or if it's just not fixable.

I may be looking for a new Drive as a result, I'll let you guys know. Thanks.

#51 Santorum X

Santorum X

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2005 - 03:25 AM

Fixed.

#52 Rags

Rags

Random Poster #7

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2005 - 04:20 PM

I have a prob like that too goldengraham, I am still yet to fix it so it works right though. It sometimes takes me 20 minutes just to get the damn thing to play a game. Sometimes it just says loading constantly, and other times it gives me a disc read error. Is that what yours does, or something different?

#53 Arimitsu

Arimitsu

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:17 AM

Hi, I'm new here.

I just browsed here while looking for info on my PS2 problem.

I finished cleaning it a sec ago, because it was making some awful noises when I put in blue disks. After I put it all together again, and turned it on, now it tells me "No Data".

I opened it again, and turned it on while it was open, and observed the laser and cd. The laser is moving around just fine, but the disc doesn't spin. It starts spinning for about half a sec then it just stops. I checked the ribbon cables, and everything is attached correctly, so I'm clueless as to what the problem could be,

#54 sonjool

sonjool

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:18 PM

Hi, On my PS2, the second controller port won't work.
I'm not exactly sure how it happened, maybe it was the madcatz 3rd party controller,
but now the 2nd player port is messed up. It doesn't work at all.
Any way to fix this? Because I'm missing alot of games on PS2 because now I only
get 1player games on PS2.....

Has this happened to anyone else before?

#55 Ledhed

Ledhed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2005 - 11:55 PM

Alright Sony, you fucking win. This is my 3rd DRE PS2, and I'm sure as hell not buying another one. But, I cannot let Taiko Drum Master go unplayed.

Anyone know if Sony still repairs DREs outside of warranty? If so, what's the contact info? The links with the info in the thread are dead. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

EDIT: GODDAMIT. Just got off the phone with someone who basically told me that they no longer offer the free repair. She told me they could either replace my PS2 for $45 or repair it for $75. Fuck that.

Congrats Sony, I concede.

#56 Msut77

Msut77

Occam's Shank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:04 AM

I opened my PS2 to clean it and now it wont power on.

I think I ripped that little piece connected to the on button now what?

#57 janglypangly

janglypangly

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:17 AM

I opened my PS2 to clean it and now it wont power on.

I think I ripped that little piece connected to the on button now what?

I would say plug it back in. But if im correct about what you mean about "ripped" it, then ya sounds like you are screwed :-(.
Want to make $20 paypal? :)

#58 VGI-Shinobi

VGI-Shinobi

Game Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2005 - 03:43 PM

Try to rearrange the laser lens back to the middle position (between the two screws). That does the trick for my PS2. And if you ripped off the white ribbon which connects to the Power button, you're screwed for real.

#59 CapAmerica

CapAmerica

Dead or Alive Fanboy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2005 - 06:34 PM

I'm having a problem with my PS2

I was watching 'Empire Strikes Back' and all of a sudden my PS2 shuts down and the Power button starts blinking.

If I let it sit for about 10min it goes back to normal. But when I go back to watching a movie it does it again after about 10min.

Any ideas why it would be doing this? Right now the only thing I can think of is it might be over heating.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#60 josherz

josherz

Posted 05 June 2005 - 12:59 PM

ive bought like 3 ps2 so far i play so much i Fuck up the lens lol and yes i tried to clean but it didnt work. so far my 3rd one is working ok...for now... :-/
Posted Image