- - - - -

PS2 Repair thread

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#181 Giraldus117

Giraldus117

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:50 PM

Hi,

So I was gonna play a game on my launch PS2 and it would not register the disk at all. I tried a different disk and the same thing happened. So I figured something prolly came loose; so I decided to crack open my PS2 and check. And low and behold my ribbon cable for my laser was unhooked. I figured "oh this will be easy.":D And I began to try to plug it back in. But sadly I have tick american fingers so it wouldn't go in.:bomb: So I though "Oh I'll just loosen the cd drive and plug it in that way!":D Well I loosened the drive and pulled it out and fixed the cable!:applause: So I put the drive back in and I noticed a component similar to this (I am sorry but I have to use an edited link so please bear with me) > [http: //i805(dot)photobucket(dot)com/albums/yy332/Daniel_Cadwell/043923-1.jpg] and [http: //i805(dot)photobucket(dot)com/albums/yy332/Daniel_Cadwell/043950-1.jpg] . Anyway, I looked at it and it looked loose so I poked it and it fell off! :censored: Needless to say I was a tad annoyed. So I decided to call the component Fred. So I tried saudering Fred back on but his legs were too short. And given it was like 3 or 4 AM I was a tad tired and accidentally crushed Fred. So what I would like to ask of all of you smart and intelligent people is, What component is Fred? And where may I locate another of him to sauder back on to my PS2's motherboard. I haven't turned it on for the fear that if I did it would fry everything. Anyway I would like your help asap. And thank you all in advanced.

#182 lurknomore

lurknomore

Selling my stuff....

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:16 PM

Yes, this is a old thread...but I'm just so proud of myself. After I sold my launch PS2, I realized that I had two DRE PS2 phats in my possession. I followed some of the advice in this thread, and I entirely fixed one of the them...and the other, I'll have to get a bit more alcohol, rubbing and otherwise, to fix that one. The second one had serious issues, while the other just had a DRE. The PS2 is a relatively easy fix and it is pretty straightforward inside. I recommend everyone have a go at it.

#183 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:57 PM

All those links seem to be dead now :(

I have a white ps2 slim and i got it to turn on and everything, but the laser itself doesn't move at all. Anybody know where I can start searching to diagnose it somehow?
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#184 Hell Monkey

Hell Monkey

Social Link MAX!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:47 PM

Ok so not sure what is causing this.Got a used PS2 hooked up I got off CAG, tested Kingdom Hearts II, Final Fantasy XII, Metal Gear Solid (PS1), Persona 4and a Nicktoons Unite. All worked find.I pop in Nicktoons Battle for Volcano Island for my kids, and it shows the PS2 logo then nothing. Works absolutely fine in the PS3. I clean the disk, try again. No luck. Any idea what would be causing this?

#185 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:53 AM

Ok so not sure what is causing this.Got a used PS2 hooked up I got off CAG, tested Kingdom Hearts II, Final Fantasy XII, Metal Gear Solid (PS1), Persona 4and a Nicktoons Unite. All worked find.I pop in Nicktoons Battle for Volcano Island for my kids, and it shows the PS2 logo then nothing. Works absolutely fine in the PS3. I clean the disk, try again. No luck. Any idea what would be causing this?

Some disks are just borked. I've had multiple copies of Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space and all of them have the same issue as you. My guess is that some games were just poorly pressed that have problems on a PS2, but a PS3 can work through.

#186 Bustamante

Bustamante

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:09 AM

just wanted to say thanks this thread helped me a ton a while ago.

#187 Waughoo

Waughoo

OBEY THE TACO MAN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:59 AM

First off, I bought my PS2 day 1, still works like a champ :)

Anyhow, I thought this was funny, one of my wife's employee's had a old PS2 that wouldnt work. It wasnt reading disks, it would just make clicking noises. So she brought it home to see if I could work on it. Right away I notice it reeks of cigarettes. I'm used to working on older 8-bit systems or the occasional Gamecube, so I'm used to cigarette smells in these things. But this one hit me with the smell as she walked into the house with it. So I open it up, and all the vents are completely filled with dust and cigarette residue and what I hope is cat hair. I clean all that out, and actually have to wipe off everything inside to get the gunk off of it. Once everything is all clean, I started working on the actual problem. Turns out the crap is all over the rails for the CD laser, and now it cant slide on them. This is what I was expecting, but I didnt expect the amount of crap on them. I had to actually scrap it off with a screwdriver. Anyhow, some cleaning and grease on the rails and the laser slides fine. I had to readjust it a couple times, but then it worked fine.

The guy who owned it was completely baffled as to how cigarette smoke could do that, but that was like his 3rd PS2 that had that problem. :roll:
Posted Image
Posted Image