question about ps3 vs pc graphics

shadylane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
I've been a gamer for a long long time. 17 years exact. i'm 20 now. and i never really dived into pc gaming ever... (side note any good pc games out there right now? i just checked out crysis and it looks sweet.) but my question is this....

Are pc games superior to those of the ps3 graphic wise? or are the next gen consoles all together surpass the whole pc gaming

If you have enough power, games will look better. Note that this doesn't really apply to PC games that came out before the PS3/360. When a console comes out it's usually superior for 1 or 2 years before PC games overtake them. This console cycle, the PC seems to have passed consoles a little faster than before.

There are enough amazingly great PC games that someone could buy a gaming PC every 5 or 6 years and play them. That's kinda what I'm doing with the PS2 now. I'm playing all the great games that came out for the system and I'm already thinking of doing the same for the GameCube (I had an Xbox before I had a PS2). It's a great way to play all the great games available at a low price and not ever have to sit there and wait for something new to come out.

PCs have the uber advantage of constant upgrades (or a disadvantage if you like money). While a console may come out with some new stuff thats better than a PC, given a couple months, there will be better parts available for the PC.

There are tons of games that are great for the PC, and more importantly, tons of free games. Plus any FPS is better on PC simply for the mouse/keyboard combo. Its like precision aiming+50 buttons to customize as you please.

Quick Dirty List of awesome PC Games that I've played:
Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion
S.T.A.L.K.E.R
F.E.A.R
Half-Life 2
Battlefield 2
Battlefield 2142
Farcry
Diablo 2
Starcraft
Age of Empires 3
Guild Wars+Expansions
Dark Messiah
Civilization 4
Counter Strike Source
Syberia
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

I hear World of Warcraft is good but subscription based services are stupid.

Awesome looking upcoming games:
Alan Wake
Bioshock
Aion: Tower of Eternity
Crysis
Age of Conan
The Witcher
Guild Wars 2
Project Offset
Tabula Rosa
Hellgate: London (subscription for "good" stuff)

The downside to the high-end PC stuff is that your PC is outdated very quickly compared to console titles. With consoles, developers have one standard of hardware to work with. With PCs, new hardware is released every 6-8 months that trumps the previous models, giving the developers more to work with.

Of course, it helps that the developers actually know what they're doing. For example, Company of Heroes runs pretty good on my 2.2GHz Athlon64 cpu and NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT 256MB card. Supreme Commander runs like shit. They were too ambitious developing that game. Oblivion runs great on my 360 but like shit on my PC. In fact, there aren't many PCs that can run Oblivion well.

It's also a huge headache if you get into optimizing performance via video settings in games. It's a lot of, ok tweak this shadow setting once, now load, now play, now go back, tweak lighting or shadow, now load, now play, etc etc. It sucks.

But again, there are lots of great titles on the PC that don't come to consoles. It's not totally worthless to stay out of PC gaming, but just know that if you spend $1,500 on a gaming PC, that it'll drop to $700 worth in six months, and you'll probably get 2 years of high end visuals out of it before you have to start really lowering settings.

[quote name='shadylane']anybody have any experience with windows on a mac and if pc gaming would work that way?[/QUOTE]
It works, but it is VERY expensive.

To get very good gaming performance on a Mac you will need to buy a Mac Pro...and then you will have to buy a DX10 card to put it in there...

[quote name='kube00']Just get a pc....[/QUOTE]
I agree if the users budget is under 4 Grand...

Spending anywhere around that number and I suggest getting the Mac Pro.

There are always games that look better then console games and vice-versa. Most mulitplatform games will look better on PC due to higher resolutions.

Not that I just built a new PC for basically $700. Not too much higher than a PS3 considering that I can also use it for work. I'm playing games on it right now that already look better than 360 and PS3 games. Not to mention that these PC games tend to have a bit more depth than their console equivalents.

PC games almost always look better than console games. one of the main reasons is pc gamers have been playing in "high def" for years.

the only real downside to pc gaming is the cost. if you want to play the latest greatest games and have them looking as good as they can possibly look, youre going to be spending thousands.

bread's done
Back