3D Hi-def TV's

exceed19

CAGiversary!
Feedback
71 (100%)
So, I have 3 hi def flatscreens in my house.. (42 toshiba, 42 sony, and 46 sharp as my best tv downstairs in my home theater room).

I will be buying a 3d tv in the next few weeks. Has anyone here bought one yet to make a SERIOUS recommendation? Price is not the issue, but I am not spending 6k either. Looking to cap out at $3500 max (maybe a little more) but it MUST come with the 3d starter kit (2 glasses, 3d sync if needed, additional blu-ray player) ect. Also, are all the glasses "universal"? Meaning maybe there is a "best" set of glasses I could pair with a tv? (I need 4 glasses in total, not just the 2 that come with it). Obviously, if *I* am wearing them, I dont mind spending extra for the best glasses. My guests can fight it out for the left overs lol.

Max size is a 60" Minimum size is 46". MUST be a LCD, pref a LED lcd setup. I know I need to go out to the electronics stores again to narrow my choices down, but I am looking for best bang/$$. High refresh rate, 4 HDMI's are a must. I am leaning twards HHGREG because I know if I take cash in, I can REALLY hardball them. Sears would be my other store of choice. I have a bestbuy, ultimate electronics (new store here in PA) HHGREG, and sears to really pick from. I know I can price match at any of these stores too, but I think I can hardball HHGREG.

Any suggestions would be great.

Hands down Samsung as long as money is not the issue. I think all Samsung 3D TVs are still offering all the bonuses with a blu-ray and 3D starter package, so you may want to look into those as well, but Samsung would be my pick personally for 3D TVs, as long as you have some cash to throw around.

Samsung 3d tvs are the worst of the bunch. Best is panasonic by a long shot. If you can wait, do so. There aren't many choices atm.

Do you think by XMAS (or black friday) would be a good time to buy then? I can wait a few more months. I just want to be gaming in full (true) 3d. There are a few PS3 titles that support it.

[quote name='exceed19']Do you think by XMAS (or black friday) would be a good time to buy then? I can wait a few more months. I just want to be gaming in full (true) 3d. There are a few PS3 titles that support it.[/QUOTE]

Even labor day is around the corner, so you should just wait and see then and then decide if you want to wait until black friday or not.

Samsungs are terrible 3D. Panasonic VT series is the best, but it's Plasma only and expensive. Mitsubishi DLP's are pretty good for 3D, you can get a 60" (wd60638) with 3D kit and 3d Bluray for $1500 via Amazon. Whatever you do, don't get a Samsung.

I cant use a plasma though. The room I have is too bright (not in a basement) and the colors get washed. I owned a plasma and got rid of it within 6 months. LCD is what I would need for this room. If I had a basement, yah Id def look at plasma.

Thanks everyone, keep your suggestions coming please!

The upcoming sony 3d would be your best bet then. If you watch the comparison videos of the samsung/panasonic 3d technologies, you feel sorry for samsung since its so bad in comparison to the panasonic technology

The only 3D TV I've watched was a Samsung and it gave me a massive headache after 5 minutes... Are the other ones less bad for photosensitive people?

i played GT5 and MLB the Show 2010 on a Sony XBR that was in 3D at lollapalooza, totally changed my opinion on 3D tv's. I really enjoyed the PQ, but personally I would probably buy a Panasonic Plasma that has 3d.

I did 3 months or so of research last fall and bought the 58V10 model. I knew 3D tv's were on the horizon but could give 2 shits about watching movies/tv in 3D. For whatever reason I kick myself for not thinking about 3D gaming !!!!

In any event, while I was researching I was initially set on a 55"LED tv, but after much reading settled on the Panasonic Plasma as there was more or less a conclusion that they have the best PQ. (besides Pioneer's elite Kuro series which was 2 years older but still reigned supreme)

Starting with this year's model they are integrating Pioneers totally uber technology that they bought the year prior. I'd check out the 46" VT25 model

Pioneer makes great tv's. Id totally consider getting one. How did you like gt5 in 3d? Was it impressive to you, or more of a "gimmick"?

I am of the mindset that if enough people buy it and support it, the developers will push it harder. I watched piranha 3d this weekend and it was AWESOME for a 3d movie. I have not been to an imax 3d movie, but the regular theaters that have 3d movies are pretty impressive. Coraline was a favorite, and i saw final destination, avatar, and bloody valantine in 3d. All great movies to watch in 3d (might not be the best movies, but the 3d effects were great). SAW3D is coming out as well, and resident evil should be up there too.

It was not a gimmick, I'll admit you def need to be front and center but it was sweet.

I saw Avatar on a huge screen in 3D and was marginally impressed. 3D gaming is where the real deal is. The crazy part is the Sony rep claimed that the game wasn't designed for 3d, its just the way the PS3 will handle all games with the new firmware. I CANNOT WAIT to see what games designed for 3D can do. I saw a few move games and watched them being played for about a minute before I decided it was just a better looking Wii game. I then noticed people had 3D glasses on in the back of the tent and made my way back and played MLB the show. I casually asked the guy if there was any chance they had Gran Turismo 5, which he smiled and pointed to the other corner opposite where I was at. After a few rounds of play I was sold, unfortunately it was to late. If they had started the hype machine for 3D gaming instead of 3D movies/tv I would have probably investigated more before I bought my plasma in December, but the thought never crossed my mind. :(

MLB the show was also sweet. I don't really play sports games, but teh batter box was really impressive with the HUD and pitch/swing.

I will say I was strongly against 3D TV until I sat down with a PS3 controller in my hand. Even with the glasses I'd say its worth it, IMO.

ok so I just sold my 46" tv today. Going to buy a 3d tv within 2 weeks, and leaning twards the sony 55" 3dtv.

HHgreg has it for $2270 with a transmitter, home theater (going upstairs! on my bedroom tv) blu ray player and 3dstarter kit with 2 glasses and movie.

I'd recommend LED backlit with local dimming or plasma, as edge-lit sets seem to have some crosstalk issues with 3D from everything I've read about them. I decided to wait the technology out since it's still in its infancy, which is why I went non-3D this time around.

You may also want to look at the Sony HX909 or LG LX6500, as both are full LED backlit with local dimming. I own the LG LE8500, which is a full LED backlit set with local dimming except 2D only, and the PQ on it is jaw-droppingly gorgeous. The LX6500 is the same set as the LE8500, except 3D capable.

yo yo yo!!! I BOUGHT the sony 55" from HHGREG for $2279 WITH the 2 glasses, cloudy meatball 3d DVD, FREE home theater (sony) w/ blu ray (going on ebay!) and emitter for glasses. ALSO bought a onkyo reciever that has 6 freaking HDMI inputs (1.4HDMI) which everyone is selling for $499, for 319.

apparently, my HHGREGG is a pilot store for tv's, and even the regular site for HHG lists my tv ON SALE at $2799 with no extras. Nobody around here could top it. Best buy, sears, or ultimate electronics.

Will post pics of my score, BUT the tv cant go on my wall until my theater room is repainted (I want a DARK color this time, I had light blue.. big mistake!)..

I AM FREAKING STOKED!! I saw the ps3 running in 3d at the store.. and had to have the sony over the samsung. I wish I could of got monsters vs aliens for the movie instead.. but whatever. The tv HAD to do a 2d to 3d conversion, and not all MFG's tv's do that!! Sony, and samsung are the only 2 I saw. Looks sweet, even though its faked 3D and not pure 3d content. The ps3 however was!!!!

SCORE for a CAG!!!!

bread's done
Back