Nintendo DS RPG Sale: Dragon Quest IV, V, VI, Chrono Trigger, World Ends With You

I have an iPhone 4S that I bring with me everywhere.

I have a 3DS that I bring with me occasionally.

Would you recommend Chrono Trigger on iOS or on the 3DS?

I haven't played the iOS version, but I couldn't imagine it being any different than the DS version. And turn based combat would surely make the lack of buttons a non-issue, so I'd say you should buy it on iOS

edit: I was pumped to see Dragon Quest IV, but it's actually $17

Last edited by a moderator:
Chrono Trigger iOS! It's cheaper ($10 vs $13), is with you everywhere you go, can be purchased and downloaded immediately and takes up no physical space! :D

Chrono Trigger looks a bit muddy on iOS, and they did weird things to the interface.

Then again, if you're playing the DS version on a 3DS, that's going to look muddy, too. Heh.

[quote name='mattcube64']I have an iPhone 4S that I bring with me everywhere.

Would you recommend Chrono Trigger on iOS or on the 3DS?[/QUOTE]

As a person who owns a 3DS and Chrono Trigger DS, I can give a wholehearted endorsement of that version. I actually consider it the optimal way to experience the game with the SNES original coming in a close second. The primary reasons why I prefer the DS version is because it offers additional story and game content that bridges Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross while retaining the FMV cutscenes that were in the Final Fantasy Chronicles PS1 version (the extras were nice but the battle load times because of the CD format were atrocious). I also prefer the tactile response that comes from having a dedicated direction pad and face buttons for most RPG's (The World Ends With You being an exception that I enthusiastically recommend too!).

But I think the real question is if you buy the DS version to play on your 3DS, will you actually play it? It makes more sense to play the version that you know you will play rather than adding a great game to your backlog that you may not play. Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games of all time and playing it in any form is clearly better than not at all. :)

[quote name='fei33']As a person who owns a 3DS and Chrono Trigger DS, I can give a wholehearted endorsement of that version. I actually consider it the optimal way to experience the game with the SNES original coming in a close second. The primary reasons why I prefer the DS version is because it offers additional story and game content that bridges Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross while retaining the FMV cutscenes that were in the Final Fantasy Chronicles PS1 version (the extras were nice but the battle load times because of the CD format were atrocious). I also prefer the tactile response that comes from having a dedicated direction pad and face buttons for most RPG's (The World Ends With You being an exception that I enthusiastically recommend too!).

But I think the real question is if you buy the DS version to play on your 3DS, will you actually play it? It makes more sense to play the version that you know you will play rather than adding a great game to your backlog that you may not play. Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games of all time and playing it in any form is clearly better than not at all. :)[/QUOTE]

(taken from the description in iTunes)

'Includes the two additional areas from the Nintendo DS version of the game:
The Dimensional Vortex: A mysterious, ever-changing dungeon existing outside of space and time. What wonders await you at its center?
The Lost Sanctum: Enigmatic gates in prehistoric and medieval times will lead you to these forgotten chambers. Meet the challenges presented to you and long-lost secrets may be revealed...'

are those the additional content that you're referring to?

[quote name='PikaPichu'](taken from the description in iTunes)

'Includes the two additional areas from the Nintendo DS version of the game:
The Dimensional Vortex: A mysterious, ever-changing dungeon existing outside of space and time. What wonders await you at its center?
The Lost Sanctum: Enigmatic gates in prehistoric and medieval times will lead you to these forgotten chambers. Meet the challenges presented to you and long-lost secrets may be revealed...'

are those the additional content that you're referring to?[/QUOTE]

Yes. That is the additional content I am referring to. So honestly, the main difference between the iOS and DS versions is the controls. Given a choice, I still prefer a traditional D-Pad and face buttons for this game. The following review explains why fairly well:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Chrono+Trigger/review.asp?c=36045

Had all these games when they were released and they're all awesome.

For Chrono Trigger, I always set the option to have the time still active while I was making decisions in battle. It seemed more fun this way. I'd imagine that it's much easier to fumble around the controls on iOS if you leave this on. I set this option in the appropriate FF games too. To each their own.

One day my army-sized backlog is going to revolt and kill me. Sometimes I think I enjoy searching for and buying games for a discount more than actually playing the games these days.

Which Dragon Quest is the best one overall or the best one to start the series? I picked up VI on clearance and was going to jump in there, but might pick up one of these if I should start earlier than VI to understand/appreciate the series... Thoughts?

[quote name='PikaPichu']Chrono Trigger iOS! It's cheaper ($10 vs $13), is with you everywhere you go, can be purchased and downloaded immediately and takes up no physical space! :D[/QUOTE]
Don't iPhones have emulators already?

[quote name='Lanman']One day my army-sized backlog is going to revolt and kill me. Sometimes I think I enjoy searching for and buying games for a discount more than actually playing the games these days.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='fei33']As a person who owns a 3DS and Chrono Trigger DS, I can give a wholehearted endorsement of that version. I actually consider it the optimal way to experience the game with the SNES original coming in a close second. The primary reasons why I prefer the DS version is because it offers additional story and game content that bridges Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross while retaining the FMV cutscenes that were in the Final Fantasy Chronicles PS1 version (the extras were nice but the battle load times because of the CD format were atrocious). I also prefer the tactile response that comes from having a dedicated direction pad and face buttons for most RPG's (The World Ends With You being an exception that I enthusiastically recommend too!).

But I think the real question is if you buy the DS version to play on your 3DS, will you actually play it? It makes more sense to play the version that you know you will play rather than adding a great game to your backlog that you may not play. Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games of all time and playing it in any form is clearly better than not at all. :)[/QUOTE]

This. Buttons are just so much better, but I like the idea of having Chrono Trigger on your phone.

Another thread about this?

Seriously, you guys need to buy these games already so we get less of these threads.

I bought Chrono Trigger for thr Iphone and own the DS version. Another thin they didn't include in the IOS version was the anime cut scenes. I was disappointed that I ddn't see the anime cutscene of Frog splitting the mountain when on the DS it showed. Other than that its alright.

[quote name='Nohbdy']I feel sorry for any moron who bought Chrono Trigger full price.[/QUOTE]

IMO it's one of the greatest games ever made. I'd gladly pay more for it.

[quote name='Namerson']IMO it's one of the greatest games ever made. I'd gladly pay more for it.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for convincing Square Enix to add unnecessary premiums to game prices.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Thank you for convincing Square Enix to add unnecessary premiums to game prices.[/QUOTE]

While I'd love to play FFVII again, I'm not fucking willing enough to pay $50 on the Vita or 3DS.

[quote name='mattcube64']I have an iPhone 4S that I bring with me everywhere.

Would you recommend Chrono Trigger on iOS or on the 3DS?[/QUOTE]

I own both and I recommend the iPhone simply for the portability.

[quote name='Nohbdy']I feel sorry for any moron who bought Chrono Trigger full price.[/QUOTE]

Me too. Those morons should have just waited 3 years and got it for $12. What a bunch of suckers.

[quote name='whoknows']Me too. Those morons should have just waited 3 years and got it for $12. What a bunch of suckers.[/QUOTE]

Honestly with the backlogs of a lot of CAG folk, they could probably afford to wait that long. No reason to buy games on release and pay full blown retail anymore with the sales they have nowadays, especially those with said backlogs.

[quote name='whoknows']Me too. Those morons should have just waited 3 years and got it for $12. What a bunch of suckers.[/QUOTE]

I got mine for $5 on clearance a few years ago. :(

[quote name='BaboonSqueezer']Honestly with the backlogs of a lot of CAG folk, they could probably afford to wait that long. No reason to buy games on release and pay full blown retail anymore with the sales they have nowadays, especially those with said backlogs.[/QUOTE]

Makes a lot more sense to me to buy a game at release, even for around retail price that you know you're going to play than to buy a cheap game you won't get to for a long time, if ever just because it's cheap. Now that's a waste of money IMO.

I got chrono trigger and TWEWY, a few days ago.

As a warning, TWEWY is a stylus heavy game. I never upgraded from my ds phat, and I lost my stylus years ago. It is a bit difficult to play with adult hands.

Yeah, what idiot would want to support a game that they like?

[quote name='abhinav']I own both and I recommend the iPhone simply for the portability.[/QUOTE]
Erm, both are portable. I'd say both have terrible battery lives for playing RPGs on while out.

[quote name='An J0e']I got chrono trigger and TWEWY, a few days ago.

As a warning, TWEWY is a stylus heavy game. I never upgraded from my ds phat, and I lost my stylus years ago. It is a bit difficult to play with adult hands.[/QUOTE]
Actually, it's difficult with small hands as well. This game was meant to be played either on top of a table or for people with three hands, because you're gonna need to use the face buttons while using the touch screen at the same time.

Maybe also an extra pair of eyes to keep an eye on what the hell's going on on the top screen while looking at the touch screen.

[quote name='Coltin']Yeah, what idiot would want to support a game that they like?[/QUOTE]

I don't support anyone who artificially inflates prices like Square Enix does.

Yeah, it's funny how Dragon Quest IV and V were $40 when they first came out. Nintendo publishes VI and IX and they charge $35 for them. That right there shows SE inflates their prices for the hell of it.

Its insane to pay more than $20 for any portable game, IMO. With that being said I did snag DQ V so I can have a complete collection of DS Dragon quests, plus I have wanted it for a while. Now I just have to wait till DQM 2 goes on sale.

Well, if the point is that had they waited, they could have received a discount, then yes.

But, in any case, Chrono Trigger is still a hell of a value and great game even at full price. Even at full price, I don't think you can overpay for CT.

And if you are concerned you overpaid for CT, eat at one less fast food place this week or get one less double latte with sprinkles at Starbucks and all will be even in the world.

Thought I'd re-post this to try and get a response, since the thread seems to be side-tracked with pricing complaints and "morons" who may have paid too much for Chrono Trigger (which is great)...

Which Dragon Quest is the best one overall or the best one to start the series? I picked up VI on clearance and was going to jump in there, but might pick up one of these if I should start earlier than VI to understand/appreciate the series... Thoughts?

Personally, I don't recommend Chrono Trigger DS. It depressed the hell out of me, to the point that after a decade or so I no longer consider it the greatest game of all time.

EDIT: Also if you're going to start on the Dragon Quest remakes, I'd go with four. It's the beginning, and has been my fav since the NES. Though some of the funny accents they give people are borderline unreadable.

I paid $80 for it in 1995.

Worth it.

[quote name='Magus8472']I paid $80 for it in 1995.

Worth it.[/QUOTE]

Same here, friend.

Absofrickenlutely worth it. I got over 100 hours out of that game on my monaural Trinitron TV back in college and I would pay that again gladly.

I realize the pricing scale for games is different these days but sometimes there are things worth paying a little more for.

Having said that, buy whichever version suits your life, folks (except the PSOne and PSN version - the battle load times are not abysmal but you will be spoiled if you played the any other version). Chrono Trigger is a superb game, period.

[quote name='Lanman']One day my army-sized backlog is going to revolt and kill me. Sometimes I think I enjoy searching for and buying games for a discount more than actually playing the games these days.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

[quote name='JCAll']Also if you're going to start on the Dragon Quest remakes, I'd go with four. It's the beginning, and has been my fav since the NES. Though some of the funny accents they give people are borderline unreadable.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I guess I put VI on my tradelist and search out IV.

I absolutely love IV. I actually think they did a great job with the accents. I think it works best if you understand how some of those dialects and languages work in the first place, which is why I got a hoot out of the small girl in the party (her accent was based on Russian I think, and I spent many years traveling to and working with people from Russia and the Ukraine). Anyway, I spent a ton of hours with the game and unlocked everything. V was good but I didn't finish it because I got burned out on monster capturing and raising in DQ Monsters Joker (125+ hours) just before I played V. VI is on its way to me so I'll see how that goes, too.

Yeah! Morons. How about the suckers who are going to pay $12 now when it's going to be $10 next year? Yeah! Smell ya later!\\:D/

bread's done
Back