- - - - -

Contra 4 (DS) - 23.99 @ Amazon.com

#1 Arkay Firestar   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1422 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Arkay Firestar

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:37 AM

http://www.amazon.co...02283401&sr=8-1

Filler for free shipping might be a good idea...I couldn't find anything though.

#2 PetriesLastWord   Reeking of Awesomeness CAGiversary!   1753 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

PetriesLastWord

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:42 AM

Still waiting for this to go lower. My portable backlog is just a bit too large to justify adding to it.
Posted Image

#3 Alien Spider   VIGILANTE JUSTICE CAGiversary!   1373 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Alien Spider

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:37 PM

Still waiting for this to go lower. My portable backlog is just a bit too large to justify adding to it.

Yeah, same here.

#4 joshnorm   Hey, Wha Happen.. CAGiversary!   2611 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:45 PM

Outstanding game. Worth the price.

#5 lurknomore   Selling my stuff.... CAGiversary!   3421 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:41 PM

Note to self: never again buy portable games at launch, as they are bound to sell less at Amazon a few weeks later.

#6 Lord Alfred   Dr. Zoidberg CAGiversary!   378 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Lord Alfred

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:58 PM

I bought this for $22 at my local Mom n' Pop within a week or two of launch.

The game is totally awesome. I recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the NES or SNES Contra games.

That is all.

#7 emperordahc  

emperordahc

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:36 PM

I was amazed how perfect this game is. It will take you quite a few tries to beat the first level. :)
cagSig.png828689.png

#8 SuperFox   Admitted Edge$$$$ CAGiversary!   224 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:40 PM

I want this so badly, yet have three other DS games (Castlevania, Galaxy Wars, Advance Wars) to play...ahhhh.
[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/SuperFoxJay"]Posted Image[/URL]

#9 ihavenolife123   Doing what I shouldn't CAGiversary!   657 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

ihavenolife123

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:40 PM

I want this so badly, yet have three other DS games (Castlevania, Galaxy Wars, Advance Wars) to play...ahhhh.

ditto, backlogs are a double edge sword.

at least i have my penguin united CAG carrying case to keep my growing collection of ds games in the ready.

#10 rodeojones903   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6366 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

rodeojones903

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:41 PM

Its worth twice that IMO.

#11 LinkinPrime   Always in our hearts... CAGiversary!   43233 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:22 PM

Hope price lasts till payday this Friday...It looks like they PM'd CC's 20% off...but sadly Advance Wars did not fall into that price match.

P R O V E H I T O   I N   A L T U M

LinkinPrime.png

30stmsymbols.png

#12 fairtrade   Minor Circuit Champion CAGiversary!   730 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:35 PM

Last time I checked it was also $24.99 used at EB/GS. Worth it if you have Edge.

#13 VWarrior   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   407 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

VWarrior

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:48 PM

Yeah, same here.

Same here. Especially after getting a PSP recently (which now has a backlog all its own). Liberty City Stories (like all GTA games) is a very thorough game and i'll likely be playing it a while.

#14 Ice2Dragon   Cuckoo For Killing Stuff CAGiversary!   3427 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:50 PM

This hits 18.99 or lower and im all over it.

23.99 tho.. too pricey.. and i just got rune factory harvest moon.

The most important question to ask is if I can kill someone with the Batrang

Just call my local bestbuy and they had no clue about a sale..

#15 hordak   Rockin' CAGer CAGiversary!   1118 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:25 AM

Because I've heard that it is ridiculously hard, I am going to wait till it hits $10. $22 is not worth me losing my temper.

#16 EastBayAnt   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   99 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

EastBayAnt

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:00 AM

Same here. Especially after getting a PSP recently (which now has a backlog all its own). Liberty City Stories (like all GTA games) is a very thorough game and i'll likely be playing it a while.

There is a lot to do in GTA:LCS. I recently picked it up again and have been playing it on and off. Good times.

"Virtual Console?!? Original hardware, fool!!!"

#17 dubbfoolio   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1753 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:07 AM

I'm tempted, but I wonder if I have the patience for a game like this anymore. I used to love contra in the bad ol' days though.

#18 spooie_redux   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   350 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

spooie_redux

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:09 AM

Amazon has a lot of 23.99 games right now. I think they're trying to match CC's deal this week.

#19 KingDox   Scream My Name CAGiversary!   3771 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:06 AM

Be carefule guys, some DS games just fall of the face of the earth and are never to be seen again. Try finding a copy of wario ware touched for a decent price. This game is very awesome, and holding out to save 3-5 bucks may not be worth it.

#20 prateeko   IN THE BUTT! CAGiversary!   2262 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:48 AM

Kind of off-topic, but does anyone have a list of Amazon's $24 DS games?

#21 jollydwarf   America's #1 Poster CAGiversary!   2614 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

jollydwarf

Posted 07 February 2008 - 04:51 AM

This game is very awesome, and holding out to save 3-5 bucks may not be worth it.

I'm not worried about saving five bucks, I'm worried about saving my sanity and/or DS. All research done today points to defeating this game being beyond the capabilities of most humans. Then again, you're right...DS games do seem to get rare with a great frequency and more quickly than other consoles' or handhelds' titles. This one I just may have to let recede into the mists of Time.
"I like whipped cream a lot. I'll put whipped cream on anything."--Jessica Alba

Backlog at CRITICAL MASS...Backlog at CRITICAL MASS...Backlog at...

"What, you're still here? The post's over. Log off. Shoo! Shoo!"

#22 Foo228   Brawl Nights host CAGiversary!   5034 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 04:54 AM

Because I've heard that it is ridiculously hard, I am going to wait till it hits $10. $22 is not worth me losing my temper.

good point 8-)

#23 onikage   鬼の影 CAGiversary!   4378 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:31 AM

This is a great price for an awesome game. If you ever enjoyed Contra, Super C, CIII or Contra: SS you must buy this. It's a great challenge with tons of replay value and lots of interesting things to unlock after you've finished the main missions.

#24 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   16986 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:40 PM

It is a great game, but it is extremely difficult. And that's fine, except that now that I'm able to get to stage 5 on Easy (well, I got to it once, but routinely get to stage 4), having to play stages 1-3 seems more like a chore now than actual fun. Yes, I keep trying, but I must admit that I'm trying less often because it's become less fun. I rather wish that it wasn't quite *so* old-school, and that it let you start at any stage you've previously competed instead of having to start at the beginning every time. Or, that I had an Action Replay so I could just unlock the bonus games right now, as that would make the cart more fun again. Still, I'm happy I purchased the game. It's been worth what I paid for it (bought used at GS at last 25%/35% w/Edge off or some such sale). For the amazon price you should get it if you have something else to buy in order to get free shipping.

Crunchewy.png

#25 coltyhuxx   NoOtherValDudeCanTouchMe CAGiversary!   1576 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

coltyhuxx

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:15 PM

It is damn frustrating -- but you just have to keep practicing. It's funny like that -- if I don't play for a week, I suck again.

I still have not beat the game but I can get to level 4-5 on medium now. And a few weeks ago I was where you were at.

Once you beat the game on easy you unlock all of the challenges. Not hard at all to unlock the first two contras. Then, it gets HARD.

#26 SuperFox   Admitted Edge$$$$ CAGiversary!   224 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:53 AM

Going to check with my local GameStop's to see if they have one (as I have store credit), otherwise, I will bite on this. I guess you can't have too many DS games to play!
[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/SuperFoxJay"]Posted Image[/URL]

#27 NolbertoS   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   951 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:11 AM

Come on you CAG pansies, no excuse to not buy this game for a good price. The game is ridiculously hard at 1st, but than becomes very beatable and than easy. I finished the game about month ago and now just unlocking all the achievements, only got 2 left to unlock everything in the game. I cringed badly when I couldn't get far in the game, but after awhile the game becomes easy on any difficulty as you memorize where everything is.
Circuit City shall burn in Hell

#28 jollydwarf   America's #1 Poster CAGiversary!   2614 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

jollydwarf

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:26 AM

No, see, if I get frustrated with a console game, I might throw my controller. If it breaks, I'm out $30-$50. Sucks, but I can deal. With this...a similar reaction is far more punitive.
"I like whipped cream a lot. I'll put whipped cream on anything."--Jessica Alba

Backlog at CRITICAL MASS...Backlog at CRITICAL MASS...Backlog at...

"What, you're still here? The post's over. Log off. Shoo! Shoo!"

#29 V878   Let's hug it out CAGiversary!   970 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:04 AM

Like people have been saying, this game is incredibly hard. I really wasn't having much fun dieing every 5 seconds. I guess you need to keep practicing, memorize the location of enemies, and stuff like that. Personally I couldn't be bothered with that so I wound up using some lives cheat to beat the game. I had a lot more fun that way.

If you liked the original Contra, you'll prolly like this one too.

#30 jeremy517   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   314 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:24 AM

It is hard when you start, but after you play for a while, it becomes pretty easy (on normal mode). It just takes a little while for you to learn the best way for you to play.

The challenges mode is lots of fun and the cart includes the original Contra and Super C. Must own for any 2D action fan or NES nostalgist.