- - - - -

goHastings.com has deals, but is it a scam?

#1 VintageTurtle   Trading Ban Trading Ban   1098 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

VintageTurtle

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:48 AM

I have heard that some CAGs partake of business from there, so here I am asking about it. Scam or not a scam?

#2 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   3347 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:49 AM

It's a great site to buy from. Great condition games that mostly come complete, fast shipping, and if you have a problem, CS will take care of it no problem.

#3 HydroX   Quintessential Studmuffin CAGiversary!   7109 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:49 AM

Wrong forum, and no, Hastings is a retail store chain like Best Buy.
MLIFTgM.gif

#4 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   3916 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:53 AM

Not a scam, although most people here have shopped used with goHastings and the condition of the item obviously varies. For what it's worth, I've shopped there dozens of times and had only one problem, which they refunded me on and let me keep the item.

#5 VintageTurtle   Trading Ban Trading Ban   1098 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

VintageTurtle

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:55 AM

Well, I am convinced that it would be wise enough to shop there. Cheers everyone.

#6 supraazn   ¡ʎɹɐsɹǝʌıƃɐɔ CAGiversary!   1088 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:55 AM

Why don't you state some specific examples of shady business rather than just saying I heard some things said by some people etc.
I mean this wouldn't be so bad if you put it in the correct forum, but it's not.

#7 Goatbuster   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   71 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Goatbuster

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:57 AM

I've purchased from them and nothing shady went down. I can assure you. :)
Posted Image

#8 mrsilkunderwear   Just Do It. CAGiversary!   1488 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

mrsilkunderwear

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:57 AM

Do people not read the red, bold sentence on top?

#9 Goodfella2487   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   65 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Goodfella2487

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:05 AM

Hastings a wonderful site, got my day one copy of Modnations for $37 bucks, brand new sealed =)

#10 xXTwilightXx   CaG Intermediate Nubbie CAGiversary!   236 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

xXTwilightXx

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:08 AM

ya i agree with confoosious hastings doesn't provide tracking numbers, but everything is fine so far. I just received my copy of bayonetta (1 of 3 games i ordered) and it came with everything, case, manual, and the game had not one scratch at all.

#11 TXboxGuY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1474 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:18 AM

Wrong forum, and no, Hastings is a retail store chain like Best Buy.

The OP just may not be familiar with their retail locations. I know the ones around me have folded and the the company just doesn't seem as big as they once were.

http://www.gohasting...ocate_store.cmd

gohastings is also quite prevalent in the Amazon Marketplace listings.

#12 mitch079   It's an ILLUSION! CAGiversary!   8300 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago   Has been playing BEYOND: Two Souls
PS3

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:23 AM

Even when they screwed up for me (ordered Mana Khemia 2 used twice, shipped everything but the game itself), they just gave me a refund and told me to keep the goodies.

mmitch079.jpgmmitch079.png

#13 mkernan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3190 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:25 AM

I used to work at one of their brick-and-mortar stores; they're legit.
Posted Image

#14 jab1235   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   851 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:26 AM

yea, your not sapposed to post questions here if you didn't know already :D

i just received 3 games from them today, only had 1 mistake but nothing big, if you have a problem with them just call costemer service and they send you a new one or give you a refund. the retail stores arn't everywhere though.

#15 darkslime   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2067 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:12 AM

Just don't buy strategy guides, they throw them in a flat rate envelope and the spines get bent. This has happened both times I ordered guides frm them

#16 VintageTurtle   Trading Ban Trading Ban   1098 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

VintageTurtle

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:59 PM

Just don't buy strategy guides, they throw them in a flat rate envelope and the spines get bent. This has happened both times I ordered guides frm them

Heh, damn, that is what I wanted to order off of them as well. I hope that at least issued you a full refund or sent another your way as I have been hearing they do.

#17 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:25 AM

Damn. I was gonna see if they had a Darksiders guide in stock since both Best Buys by me pre-pulled everything before this last penny drop.:cry:

But, just so you know, I've been sending games and guides in flat rate envelopes and those envelopes are pretty durable. Maybe you just have an asshole mailman who tries to fold everything, including stuff that says DO NOT BEND on it?

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#18 darkslime   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2067 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:41 AM

Damn. I was gonna see if they had a Darksiders guide in stock since both Best Buys by me pre-pulled everything before this last penny drop.:cry:

But, just so you know, I've been sending games and guides in flat rate envelopes and those envelopes are pretty durable. Maybe you just have an asshole mailman who tries to fold everything, including stuff that says DO NOT BEND on it?

I'm not sure, but the spines get damaged whenever they're sent, and I've fucked up and had people complain about some art books I sent in envelopes getting damaged. Now I put a piece of cardboard on each side of the guide and no one has said their books arrived damaged.

And I didn't get a refund, I didn't bother to try because they were still readable guides that were OOP and more expensive everywhere else.

#19 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:05 AM

Exactly. I'm looking right now at a couple guides for games that I currently want them for but the guides either A) haven't pennied yet or B) I couldn't get them the last time Gamestop or Best Buy pennied some.

Posted Image

#20 Brian9824   CAG-Obsessed CAGiversary!   3541 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

Send me a list of guides and i'll check my stash Iamthecheapestgamer

#21 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

Send me a list of guides and i'll check my stash Iamthecheapestgamer

The ones I want either just pennied from Best Buy recently(Saboteur/Darksiders) or haven't pennied as of yet(Just Cause 2). But I found a source for both of them and one of them is only $1.99(before shipping).

Thanks for the offer though.:D

Posted Image

#22 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   3347 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:41 PM

I just got a guide in from gohastings.com today and yes it has some slight spine bending, not the kind you get from opening the book. But overall its not too bad, I am going to use this guide with my game so it will get some wear anyways. Now if you are looking for collector quality guides, you probably dont want to buy from gohastings as they ship in a bubble mailer with no extra protection and the guide most likely will have spine/corner/edge damage.

#23 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:50 PM

For the prices I saw for the guides I wanna buy(especially considering one hasn't even pennied out yet) I'm willing to take a chance on the guides, just so long as they don't charge an arm and a leg for shipping.

Posted Image

#24 mediviper   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   387 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:53 PM

Yeah thats the one bad thing about them, their shipping charges went WAY up. Kind of makes me think twice before ordering from them now.

#25 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:56 PM

Oh. Define 'way up' though. I ordered from them last fall(2 PS3 games) and I think they were charging like $4-5 a game for shipping, which was understandable since they came from seperate stores.

I should do a test transaction to see how much over the $1.99 price for the one guide I want from this last BB drop will cost for shipping.

Posted Image

#26 VipFREAK   Fun Knee! CAGiversary!   9411 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:04 PM

I will be shopping there this Black friday to pick up my next batch of Blu Rays. :bouncy:

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Trade List

#27 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   3347 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:14 PM

IATCG, I ordered 2 games and 3 guides and the shipping was only $9.21. Thats not that bad considering the 5 items will most likely be shipped all separately.

#28 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:14 AM

IATCG, I ordered 2 games and 3 guides and the shipping was only $9.21. Thats not that bad considering the 5 items will most likely be shipped all separately.

That's NOT bad at all. I've been considering grabbing Uncharted 2 again(it's less than $30 used on their site;))and I might even grab Oblivion GOTY for PS3(currently $15 NEW on their site during their June sale:D)on top of the 2-3 guides I've been looking at.

Although there's only ONE copy of the one guide and it's $4 and change, which is a nice price since it hasn't pennied yet.

Posted Image