Rise to power... by any means necessary.
Dragon Age 2 thrusts players into the role of Hawke, a penniless refugee who rises to power to become the single most important character in the world of Dragon Age. Known to be a survivor of the Blight and the Champion of Kirkwall, the legend around Hawke’s rise to power is shrouded in myth and rumor. Featuring an all-new story spanning 10 years, players will help tell that tale by making tough moral choices, gathering the deadliest of allies, amassing fame and fortune, and sealing their place in history. The way you play will write the story of how the world is changed forever.
- Releases March 8, 2011
- Sequel to Dragon Age: Origins
- Will import save data from Dragon Age: Origins
- Official website
- Demo available 2/22/2011 on Xbox 360, PS3, and PC
The main character in Dragon Age II is Hawke, a human refugee from Lothering who makes his way to Kirkwall, a city-state in the Free Marches, north of Ferelden. Hawke may be male or female and can be a warrior, rogue, or mage. Unlike the Warden in Dragon Age: Origins, Hawke will be voiced. The story will span ten years, starting with the destruction of Lothering which occurs midway through Origins' story. Dragon Age II is a framed narrative; Hawke's exploits are being told after the fact and the narrator may be unreliable at times. Dialogue will be driven by a wheel with icons indicating the tone of each possible response. Combat is being retooled to feel faster and more immediate.
Note on spoilers: I will try to avoid explicit story spoilers in the OP, but in general, I don't consider anything revealed by BioWare's PR to be a spoiler.
- Amazon.com preorder, $59.95
- Preorder bonus items: Fadeshear Sword and Lion of Orlais Shield (Existing Signature Edition preorders will also get these items, if the retailer offers them)
- Preorder bonus item, EA Store only: The Irons
- Preorder bonus item, Best Buy only: Amulet of Ashes
- Additional bonus content with all new copies, "The Black Emporium"
A magic item store that has some of the best equipment you'll find in the game. It's restocked with better items as you progress through the story.
A loyal mabari hound that fights at your side in battle.
The "Mirror of Transformation". Gaze into it and you can change your very appearance. Hair, eyes, tattoos, and more can be changed with the click of a button.
A crafting store which sells powerful unique recipes.
Explore the Black Emporium and uncover its strange secrets and lore. Be sure to see its strange proprietor. It should prove most... memorable.
- [NO LONGER AVAILABLE] Preorders at participating retailers before January 11, 2011 will be upgraded to the BioWare Signature Edition with codes for downloadable bonus content. According to BioWare, there will not be any additional Collector's Edition release.
The bonus character and mission are Sebastian and The Exiled Prince DLC.
The Dragon Age II BioWare Signature Edition includes the full version of Dragon Age II plus an additional $20 worth of bonus content that includes:
A downloadable bonus playable character and missions
Downloadable game soundtrack
Downloadable in-game items including the digital armory that will feature a special weapon for each of your character classes
- Sign up for the newsletter at the official site to receive a code for the Staff of Parlathan weapon
- Register here to receive the in-game item Hindsight designed by Tycho and Gabe of Penny Arcade
- Ser Isaac of Clarke's Armor code included in new copies of Dead Space 2
- Dragon Age Legends Facebook game currently in beta will unlock DA2 content, but the specifics are not yet known
- Completion of the demo unlocks Hayder's Razor, "an ancient dwarven blade which increases health, mana, and combat abilities" in the full game
- Ring of Whispers free with $15 purchase from Epic Weapons, or with a purchase of a Razer Dragon Age product
- The Exiled Prince, available on release, 560 MS Points/$7 or free with BioWare Signature Edition
- Xbox Avatar gear
- Item Pack #1, item sets for warriors, rogues, and mages (Hawke and party members)
- Legacy, available 7/26/2011, 800 MS Points/$10 (achievements) Spoiler
- Item Pack #2
- Mark of the Assassin, available 10/11/2011, 800 MS Points/$10 Spoiler
Unlock two bonus items, the High Lord's Belt and the Pendant of the Morning Frost, if you have unlocked at least one achievement in each of the three DLC packs The Exiled Prince, Legacy, and Mark of the Assassin.
Previews and Impressions
- PC Gamer
- IGN rogue class preview
- Ten Ton Hammer
- IGN 1/12/2011
- IGN "Console or PC?" preview
- Joystiq 2/8/2011 | First two minutes of the game
- Xbox 360 Achievements
- "Destiny" trailer [CGI]
- "Rise to Power" trailer [in-game assets]
- Developer diary video
- Developer Diary: The Story
- Garrett Hawke (male default) screenshot
- Marian Hawke (female default) screenshot
- Giant Bomb Quick Look
- Live Demo/Chat with Mike Laidlaw
IGN preview 2/8/2011
Mark of the Assassin DLC trailer
Edited by Ryuukishi, 17 November 2011 - 04:08 PM.