- - - - -

Wasteland 2 "pre-order" - $15 on Kickstarter

#1 rsrlawman   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   25 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

Wasteland is the 1988 predecessor of the Fallout Series, and Brian Fargo who originally created both Wasteland and Fallout has announced Wasteland 2 via Kickstarter. In just 2 days, they've already surpassed the $900,000 goal to produce the game, so it will definitely get made. Obviously, there is no release date at this time and don't expect to get it any time soon.

For $15, you get a digital copy of the game. I expect it will be at least double that on Steam when it comes out, if not your typical $59.99. I think using Kickstarter to fund the production of a game and thereby bypassing the influence exerted by the mega-studios is the coolest concept. Now Wasteland 2 will be developed completely for the fans rather than being watered down for a mainstream CoD/Halo audience. Love it!

http://www.kickstart...ile/wasteland-2

#2 AionTelos   is PLUS ONE PIG! CAGiversary!   816 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

Gtfo indie bundles, kick-starters are now fad!

Will check this out when not on phone.

Edit: Woo, so in for one once I get the money :D

Edited by AionTelos, 15 March 2012 - 07:24 PM.

#3 GlassAgate   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   436 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

GlassAgate

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

So.....it will be a different telling of the story?

May hap Wasteland on GOG?

Sort of like Fullmetal Alchemist v FMA Brotherhood?

#4 Bosamba   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2002 Posts   Joined 3.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

After having seen some youtube videos of the original being played, I'm not sure if I'd be willing to fund this just yet. Anyone have any recent experience on playing Wasteland?

Edit: After watching the promotional video on Kickstarter, I pledged $15 for a copy of the game.

Edited by Bosamba, 15 March 2012 - 01:16 PM.

:grouphug:

Wondering which platform to buy the game for? Use Mr. Slimm's Blog http://misterslimm.w...ce-off-results/

Interested in a PC game but not sure if your rig can run it? Go here http://www.systemreq...tslab.com/cyri/

#5 ParticleReality   The Best Mayne, I deed it CAGiversary!   269 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

ParticleReality

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

Just a reminder: This is coming from the same development team behind Hunted: The Demon's Forge. Yeah, Brian Fargo may be involved but it's not like him or his studio have been putting out good games this entire time.

#6 dallow   By Kaz! CAGiversary!   30344 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

I can't believe they've got over 900k already.
Who's paying this much?

#7 htz  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

RAGs

#8 vherub   x CAGiversary!   3393 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

hope it turns out great, never played the original though

#9 cancerman1120   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8122 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago   Has been playing Dying Light
XONE

cancerman1120

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

Sorry but this is just not a trend I can get behind. I find it funny that the same community that has a fit over day 1 dlc does not crucify a system where you pay before the product is even produced.
Posted Image

#10 motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   11003 Posts   Joined 3.7 Years Ago   Has been playing Big Mutha Truckers 2: Truck Me Harder
PC

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

I was almost ready to do it but no Steam key made me opt for no. I realize there are people who are zealously anti-DRM, but personally I prefer the convenience of Steam and nearly all my games are already on there updated and organized.

#11 shivan128   CAG at heart CAGiversary!   3432 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

pledged $15.

edaa9c273976.png

My tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=301364

Currently Playing:  :vita: Monster Monpiece, :3ds: Majora's Mask, :xb1: N/ATM :360: N/ATM, :ps3: N/ATM, :ps4: Dying Light/#KillAllZombies, :wiiu: Hyrule Warriors

#12 Treymoney   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   45 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago   Has been playing Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
3DS

Treymoney

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

I was almost ready to do it but no Steam key made me opt for no. I realize there are people who are zealously anti-DRM, but personally I prefer the convenience of Steam and nearly all my games are already on there updated and organized.

But there is a Steam key. You get DRM-free and Steam versions. They even mention the closed beta will be on Steam. Check the FAQ at the end of the page.

#13 chefgamer   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   734 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

I rember playing this back in the day and always changing the floppys in and out. I think ill be down for this.

#14 sotc1988   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1209 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

This sounds cool. I never played the first game but I really love Fallout 1 and 2 and Wasteland seems like a big influence on those two.

#15 SniperREX   Space Cowboy CAGiversary!   5962 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

I'm in :) . Hopefully it will be as good as the original Fallout 1&2. BTW I loved the third one too ;)
See You Space Cowboy

#16 motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   11003 Posts   Joined 3.7 Years Ago   Has been playing Big Mutha Truckers 2: Truck Me Harder
PC

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

But there is a Steam key. You get DRM-free and Steam versions. They even mention the closed beta will be on Steam. Check the FAQ at the end of the page.

You know, that's a deal breaker for me and probably for other people so they should have made that more clear.

Also I am unclear on the early beta access. The page desc says

We’re planning on an initial 6 months of pre-production. We’ll nail down every important element that you, our creative partners, want. Once we have all that figured out, we buckle down for 12 month development cycle. During that time, players can get a sneak peek on a private closed beta through Steam.

This would seem to imply the beta access is for everyone but then the pledge descriptions don't mention beta access until you get to the $75 level.

October 2013 is a long time to wait and that's if there are no delays which most games end up having. Double Fine is giving early beta access even at the entry level and they made that clear in their description.

#17 TheSingingBard   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   476 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

TheSingingBard

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

Definitely contributed $15. I loved playing the original Wasteland all those years back. Really excited they are planning/creating a sequel.

#18 ijustw1n   Banned Banned   1270 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

ijustw1n

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:08 PM

So this is on this forum, why? Because some cheap ass gamers now pay for games that haven't even been created? It's one thing to preorder a game and entirely another to pay before anything has been done. There should be a dumbass gamer companion site or rich ass gamer for spending money this way.

#19 Yagami   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1192 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

So this is on this forum, why? Because some cheap ass gamers now pay for games that haven't even been created? It's one thing to preorder a game and entirely another to pay before anything has been done. There should be a dumbass gamer companion site or rich ass gamer for spending money this way.

Can't be a cheap ass gamer if said games don't get made.

#20 xspeedracerx   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   715 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

xspeedracerx

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

Sorry but this is just not a trend I can get behind. I find it funny that the same community that has a fit over day 1 dlc does not crucify a system where you pay before the product is even produced.

The thing is, this is a game that would never even have a chance at being made if not for doing it this way. Either way though, this isn't the appropriate place to be posting about it.

#21 thegame85   Spicy Curry #30 CAGiversary!   1407 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

I would donate money to this and the Double Fine one, but I don't play PC games. Now if they were going to release something over XBLA that would be different!
Posted Image

#22 rsrlawman   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   25 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

The thing is, this is a game that would never even have a chance at being made if not for doing it this way. Either way though, this isn't the appropriate place to be posting about it.

I considered posting it elsewhere, but I figured it would get the most visibility here and it IS a deal. You may be "pre-ordering" it way in advance, but you are definitely getting it for a big discount if you order it now.

#23 cancerman1120   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8122 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago   Has been playing Dying Light
XONE

cancerman1120

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

I am all for these type of games getting made but asking the community to pay for it up front is a dangerous proposition. I would not want to be the first game to get made that does not live up to expectations...or worse never gets finished. Gamers are a fickle bitch to begin with. I love Double Fine but not every game they have produced. It is just a really fine line we are walking here when all you are doing is giving money without anything known in return AND no % of return if this is successful. You are taking all the risk and getting no reward except maybe a game you like.
Posted Image

#24 xspeedracerx   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   715 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

xspeedracerx

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

I considered posting it elsewhere, but I figured it would get the most visibility here and it IS a deal. You may be "pre-ordering" it way in advance, but you are definitely getting it for a big discount if you order it now.

I don't have a problem with it, and you're right it IS a deal. People just love to shit on threads like this for some reason. I don't see how it's any worse than posting about Kindle Fire pre-orders or game pre-orders that are full price.

#25 kramer0731   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   119 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

kramer0731

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

Did anyone ever play "Fountain of Dreams?" That was always what I thought Wasteland "2" to be - so I'm a bit confused by this. Here's a small tidbit about it on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia....nd_(video_game)

Played it a bit and it wasn't bad. Still the original Wasteland was awesome!
My guide trade list can be found here:

http://www.cheapassg...5&postcount=136

#26 xspeedracerx   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   715 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

xspeedracerx

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

I am all for these type of games getting made but asking the community to pay for it up front is a dangerous proposition. I would not want to be the first game to get made that does not live up to expectations...or worse never gets finished. Gamers are a fickle bitch to begin with. I love Double Fine but not every game they have produced. It is just a really fine line we are walking here when all you are doing is giving money without anything known in return AND no % of return if this is successful. You are taking all the risk and getting no reward except maybe a game you like.

At $15 I'll gladly take the risk. In Double Fine's case we're getting a professionally made documentary even if the game somehow sucks or doesn't get finished. That alone makes it worth it to me. It's not like people are being forced to throw in money.

#27 cancerman1120   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8122 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago   Has been playing Dying Light
XONE

cancerman1120

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

It's not like people are being forced to throw in money.

That sounds like a defense of Day One on disk DLC to me :lol: I kid I kid.

Honestly I am not against this...I am just sold on it yet. Once the first games come out we will see. It could be worse...there is a UK lotto winner that wants 1.1 million to make an MMO on Kickstarter.

http://www.eurogamer...-in-the-sky-mmo

But even HE has already got $10,000 :applause:

Looks like one person donated the $10,000...so I am not sure about that :)
Posted Image

#28 xspeedracerx   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   715 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

xspeedracerx

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

That sounds like a defense of Day One on disk DLC to me :lol: I kid I kid.

Honestly I am not against this...I am just sold on it yet. Once the first games come out we will see. It could be worse...there is a UK lotto winner that wants 1.1 million to make an MMO on Kickstarter.

http://www.eurogamer...-in-the-sky-mmo

But even HE has already got $10,000 :applause:

At least you're open minded enough to not dismiss it completely. Who knows how this will turn out, but I'm hoping for the best. :)

Haha, good luck to that guy! Fortunately Kickstarter doesn't work unless you meet your goal, so he likely won't be seeing a penny from this.

#29 ubdu   vile CAGiversary!   387 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

I'm with you. I put in $15. I'm half hoping for a good game and half wanting to show publishers that diversity in video games is still important.

157446.png1971290-1-GregGale.png

#30 loomis1975   Cell Block CAG CAGiversary!   1232 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

I'm in. Wasteland was epic. I miss these types of games, would like to see a modern spin on Wasteland.