- - - - -

Connecting PS3 to Dell U2412M

#1 heydonovan   Perfectionist CAGiversary!   2447 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

This is the computer monitor I own: http://dell.to/p55oXA

Since GameStop is now offering the PS3 for about $200, I'm willing to purchase one. I'm confused as to how I would hook up the PS3 to my monitor. The monitor only has VGA/DVI input, so I understand that I would need to purchase a DVI > HDMI adapter. Then I could run an HDMI cable from the PS3, to the monitor. That would only give me picture though. How do I extract audio? I'm going to be purchasing external speakers anyways, so I would need some way to connect the PS3 to both the audio source and monitor (never really understood the benefit of HDMI, especially when you want to split audio/video).

#2 evilw0n   Deals & Games CAGiversary!   1596 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

Benefit of HDMI - there are far more people who run the HDMI directly to a monitor/tv/home theater than not. One cable is better than two.

To your issue - use the optical out. If you cannot then you are going to have to grab the component/composite out and use L/R out of that. Those are your only other options.

#3 fatmanforlife99   I need a weapon. CAGiversary!   2769 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

fatmanforlife99

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

http://www.ehow.com/...r-speakers.html

Very easy to do, I used to do this, but I switched to a logitech headset and I wont be going back. Been using my pc monitor as my primary setup since I got my 360 back in 07. I upgraded to a dell s2409w a couple years ago and have my 360 on vga, pc on hdmi and ps3 on dvi. All great full hd quality. I just got my first hdtv last June and I cant play on it lol. I am so used to playing on a 24 inch, I just cant do it on 50 inch screen. What I love about the 360's vga cables is, no input lag, might not sound like much but it makes a big difference in multiplayer.

I am going to shut up now, good luck, ask anymore questions if you have any.

There are those who said this day would never come. What are they to say now?

1237720547_chuck_norris.gif