- - - - -

Strat RPGS?

#1 Chiba   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   42 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:27 PM

Ok, I'm having a bit of a dilema. I REALLY want to like strat RPGS, but it turns out I don't think I have the patience. The two I've tried so far are Final Fantasy Tactics (ps1) and Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis (GBA). I couldn't tolerate the slow pace of FFT, I somewhat tolerated tactics ogre though. I really wanted to try Disgaea, La Pucelle, etc, but am I basically doomed when it comes to strat rpgs? Are any of the others a faster pace than the two I've tried? Or am I just a impatient bastard? Granted, I can tolerate turnbased RPGS like the FF's and stuff, but these irk me for some reason.

Thanks for help/suggestions.
Currently Playing: Guitar Hero (PS2), Doom 3 (Xbox)
http://users.ign.com/collection/JonGCR

#2 Dr Mario Kart   SD/2D Defense Force CAGiversary!   10945 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Dr Mario Kart

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:32 PM

both of those that you've tried are pretty slow. I'd say Phantom Brave is pretty fast paced. Stay away from La Pucelle: Tactics. I dont think Disgaea is all that slow.

Maybe they just arent for you, I dunno.

#3 Mr Unoriginal   Cheap Amish Gamer CAGiversary!   7456 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Mr Unoriginal

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:33 PM

I am almost exactly the same way as the OP. I love the idea of SRPG but I usually get bored after 10 hours or so. I just can't be bothered to level up the SRPG way.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#4 jerfgoke   Pibb = Crazy Delicious CAGiversary!   464 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:34 PM

I feel like La Pucelle/Disgaea might be a slight bit faster-paced than FFT or TO, but not enough to make a big difference. Why exactly do SRPGs feel slower paced to you?

#5 Chiba   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   42 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:42 PM

I feel like La Pucelle/Disgaea might be a slight bit faster-paced than FFT or TO, but not enough to make a big difference. Why exactly do SRPGs feel slower paced to you?

You know what? I can't exactly pin-point it. Sure the battles are longer than I'd like, but it might be because the fact of tons of things to worry about. Maybe I'm just too dumb for these complicated games. I like turn based strat games (well...i like Advance Wars), but the idea of items for all your characters, and leveling them all up seems pretty daunting to me. I might give Disgaea and shot as my last effort since that seems to be the favorite to many gamers, I guess if that can't do it, none can.

#6 thisiswack   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   248 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

thisiswack

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:42 PM

I'm assuming SRPGs seem slower to the OP because they are slower, per battle, than regular RPGs. A fight in FFT can take five times longer than a turn based RPG fight, like in FFX or something.
I wonder why you want to play SRPGs if you don't like them? I don't like Football games, but I'm okay with that and don't buy them.
If you say what you like about them, maybe people can suggest other games you might enjoy.

#7 jerfgoke   Pibb = Crazy Delicious CAGiversary!   464 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:49 PM

I like turn based strat games (well...i like Advance Wars), but the idea of items for all your characters, and leveling them all up seems pretty daunting to me.

I can see this to some extent... I tend to get similarly overwhelmed by games that have a bunch of different endings or a huge freedom in how you can upgrade/customize your characters. I always feel like I'm missing something important or going to have to finish the game a bunch of times (which I don't have time for.)

Ultimately, I just have to convince myself that I'm going to finish it once, my way, and there's nothing wrong with that. Sit back and enjoy the ride, I tell myself. :)

#8 Dr Mario Kart   SD/2D Defense Force CAGiversary!   10945 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Dr Mario Kart

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:52 PM

go to ign or gamespot and try to download some trailers or videos for Disgaea, Phantom Brave, and Makai Kingdom. I think it moves a lot faster. Tactics Ogre was painfully slow, even for me. All the PS1 ones are going to move pretty slow in comparison. La Pucelle is the slowest of the current gen NIS games.

#9 BIG5   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2027 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:56 PM

I'm the same way. It's okay not to like srpgs; it just means you're less of a nerd than you thought ;)

#10 Noodle Pirate!   My Cat > Your Cat CAGiversary!   2302 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Noodle Pirate!

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:59 PM

I haven't played the new shining tears, but the shining force series was a fast paced stratrpg series. Maybe hunt some of those down and give it a try. Im pretty sure the gba one is a remake of the genesis ones, so that might be a good place to start.
:whee:Check out my Tradelist for tons of games! Updated 11/21/08
Rares/Imports!! - GB/GBA/DS ~ PS1/PS2/PSP ~ Saturn/Dreamcast ~ Xbox/Xbox360 ~ PC Games ~Promo stuff
Comics/Manga/RPG Books/Posters/Trading cards/CCGs ~ DVDs/VCDs/LDs ~ Hong Kong Movies

Posted Image

#11 greydemise   Forever Furby CAGiversary!   2866 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

greydemise

Posted 19 July 2005 - 04:02 PM

honestly, i dont think la pucelle, disgaea , phantom are up ur ally, i mean, sure the battles go fster, but the time ull have 2 invest levelling up ur characters like crazy just 2get by a normal battle make all ur effort....go down the toilet :(, i stopped the game cus i didnt feel like "power levelling" my characters for hours on end
xbl: Lucky Furby

i rock your face.

#12 Roufuss   is now a coupon CAGiversary!   21591 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 04:04 PM

I haven't played the new shining tears, but the shining force series was a fast paced stratrpg series. Maybe hunt some of those down and give it a try. Im pretty sure the gba one is a remake of the genesis ones, so that might be a good place to start.

Shining Tears isn't a SRPG :P

I called my lady friend last night and said my buddy had to beat off on my chest, she is kinda pissed at me, but it was the best idea I had all night, and I stand by it.

Posted Image

#13 Dr Mario Kart   SD/2D Defense Force CAGiversary!   10945 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Dr Mario Kart

Posted 19 July 2005 - 04:07 PM

I really didnt think there was a lot of forced power leveling in those games, but maybe I'm used what amount they do have. Even some regular RPGs make you level a bit. It makes the battles very tight, every decision counts. I've had battles that have been decided by one move, down to like 1 vs 1. Extra fancy strategy will overcome a deficit in power, to a point. Its part of the fun.

#14 Chiba   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   42 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 04:20 PM

I'm the same way. It's okay not to like srpgs; it just means you're less of a nerd than you thought ;)

[darth vader yell] nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

#15 swetooth9   Go Tar Heels! CAGiversary!   7132 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 05:24 PM

yea, i like games that are similar to strat rpgs like advance wars and fire emblem...but games like ff tactics and tactics ogre are too complicated and involved for me as well

#16 Rich   Quack-Quack.net CAGiversary!   2554 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:51 PM

I loved TO:KOL but had to stop 3/4 of the way in because the speed became unbearable. I would spend every sitting with the game in a single battle.

Posted Image

#17 Chiba   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   42 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:55 AM

At least I'm not alone in my failure to be a true gamer :( haha. Thanks for all the help/suggestions guys. Turns out maybe strat rpg's aren't for me. *hangs head in shame*

#18 zionoverfire   C10Cl12 CAGiversary!   18241 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

zionoverfire

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:00 AM

I suggest Fire emblem, hard as hell but turns are pretty quick, for the PS 1/2 I'd suggest Ring of Red, the real time battles helps a bit.

#19 legendarypegasus   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   162 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

legendarypegasus

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:01 AM

Disgaea is the only strat RPG I have enjoyed. I tried 3-4 others, but could never really get into them. Disgaea is great in that it is pretty fast paced for a strat RPG (some of the battles can take a long time to finish, b/c of the sheer amount of enemies). Most importantly, its light on the strategy side. There isn't a million different variables you have to take in account. Most of the stratgey resides in powering up weapons and leveling up your characters. But the battles themselves are only a step or two above from those in FFX.

The only problem with Disgaea is its price.
"If I managed the Cubs, I'd be an alcoholic." Whitey Herzog (Cardinals manager 1980-1990).

Nilbog (if you know what that means, then you have watched the best movie ever made)

#20 alongx   Soy loco por el Cornball CAGiversary!   4887 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:06 AM

I love strat. RPGs, but find the Nippon Ichi games to be a) HIGHLY overrated and b) slow, with relatively boring stories.
My gaming tally:

Posted Image

#21 Chiba   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   42 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:10 AM

I'd suggest Ring of Red, the real time battles helps a bit.

Haha, wow, turns out I actually have that game. I didn't even realize it to now....I'll have to give it a try.

#22 BigSpoonyBard   Aaaaauuugghh! CAGiversary!   10499 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

BigSpoonyBard

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:16 AM

I'm kind of in between on SRPGs. I like them, and I enjoy the battles, but I don't have the patience or desire to level up my characters to 673 just so I can beat the final boss. For example, I got very close to the end in Disgaea, but it got to the point where I realized that no amount of strategy was going to get me through unless I was leveled up a lot more. So I quit. If someone made an SRPG that didn't require copious amounts of leveling up to finish, I would love them until the cows made out with the horses.

Edit: On second thought, someone did: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance required pretty much no leveling up, but it was too easy. I need somewhere in between the two extremes.

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#23 Skylander7   Accidental Engineer/Beer Snob CAGiversary!   2213 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Skylander7

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:25 AM

I dunno, I've always considered strat rpg's to be only for those with an enormous amount of time. I played em a little bit in high school, but I just don't have the time or the patience for it anymore. I also can't stand RPG's with random battles, it can make a game annoying and tedious. I have La Pucelle and Disgaea rotting on my shelf and have never been played. But if you want to know a great one, try Advance Wars. It does a great job of throwing in good strat RPG elements while avoiding the parts that take the fun out of typical games of the genre.

It's a niche thing.. some people get off playing strat rpg's, some love odd imports, and some like games just for the heck of being rare. When you force yourself to love a kind of game, you take the fun out of it.

#24 BigSpoonyBard   Aaaaauuugghh! CAGiversary!   10499 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

BigSpoonyBard

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:27 AM

I dunno, I've always considered strat rpg's to be only for those with an enormous amount of time. I played em a little bit in high school, but I just don't have the time or the patience for it anymore. I also can't stand RPG's with random battles, it can make a game annoying and tedious. I have La Pucelle and Disgaea rotting on my shelf and have never been played. But if you want to know a great one, try Advance Wars. It does a great job of throwing in good strat RPG elements while avoiding the parts that take the fun out of typical games of the genre.

It's a niche thing.. some people get off playing strat rpg's, some love odd imports, and some like games just for the heck of being rare. When you force yourself to love a kind of game, you take the fun out of it.

Disgaea is really a lot of fun, and the story and characters are highly amusing. I'd say give it a bit of your time just to enjoy it, but don't plan on finishing it.

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#25 Epic Wolf   Banned Banned   2529 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:32 AM

Arc the Lad for PSone perhaps ?
My Collection...
Posted Image
Every man dies but not every man lives, but who am I to decide how
every man lives or should live, but yet each mans pleasure is another's dissatisfaction...

#26 Roufuss   is now a coupon CAGiversary!   21591 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:33 AM

Arc the Lad for PSone perhaps ?

Second'ed... I loved me some Arc The Lad.

I called my lady friend last night and said my buddy had to beat off on my chest, she is kinda pissed at me, but it was the best idea I had all night, and I stand by it.

Posted Image

#27 cheapass Gundam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1052 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

cheapass Gundam

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:35 AM

Give Sakura Wars a try.
Posted Image

No, no more deals... too broke :( :( :(

#28 Ecofreak   That's Ah Bingo!!! CAGiversary!   4101 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:36 PM

Give Sakura Wars a try.

Not everyone can read Japanese, unfortunately. And the idea of a dating sim within a SRPG sounds like a great deal of fun. Why can't they translate this series already?! :-(

BTW, Disgaea is a pretty fast paced SRPG. But if you don't like leveling up, don't bother with this one as you'll need to spend literally hours leveling up items. Some people are stats junkies, but as this doesn't sound like you, I'd pass.
[thread=49233]Trade List[/thread]

#29 cheapass Gundam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1052 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

cheapass Gundam

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:39 PM

The ability to read Japanese should be a non-issue. Most of the Sakura Wars games have English translation posted at GameFAQs.

The series not being translated is because Sega of America is being run by complete tools. Just look at how they've been mismanaging products that have been doing great in Japan in the company's history. Sakura Wars have been translated for other countries and doing well too, there's no reason a NA / EC port can't be made and be profitable.
Posted Image

No, no more deals... too broke :( :( :(