- - - - -

Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility - By the Numbers

#1 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   17053 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago   Has been playing Grand Theft Auto V
PC

Posted 15 June 2006 - 05:59 AM

With the latest backwards compatibility update occuring this week, I thought it might be interesting to see how many of the best reviewed Xbox games are backwards compatible on the Xbox 360.

I took the 300 best reviewed Xbox games as scored by Metacritic (a website that collates reviews) and then checked to see which games are backwards compatible on the Xbox 360.

Of the top 300 reviewed Xbox games, 82 (or 27%) are backwards compatible.
Of the 21 new additions to the the bc list, 8 are in the top 300 best reviewed list.

Below, I have crunched the numbers a bit further.
Look, it's a chart!

Posted Image

Top 300
BC: 82 (27% BC)
Not BC: 218

Top 250
BC: 67 (27% BC )
Not BC: 183

Top 100
BC: 32 (32% BC)
Not BC: 68

Top 50
BC: 21 (42% BC)
Not BC: 29

Top 25
BC: 14 (56% BC)
Not BC: 11

Top 10
BC: 8 (80% BC)
Not BC: 2

Clearly, it must be no small undertaking to make Xbox games BC on the 360.
Of the top 100 reviewed Xbox games, Microsoft has only been able to make 32 backwards compatible.

I think CAG epobirs summed it up best when he said,

Seriously, if it were just a matter of wanting it, Microsoft would have every Xbox title ever release running on the 360 with enhancements. This is not a trivial undertaking and the testing involved for the games is very time intensive. They're recreating much of the playtesting cycle these games already passed through before they were originally released.

The more desirable recent Xbox titles are the result of develoeprs who've been honing their Xbox skills for five years. The likelihood of those games containing the kind of coding techniques that make for the most difficult items to make run under emulation is very high. As more and more of the older titles become compatible the probability a newer titem will pass the testing phase is increased. But there is no getting around the laborious testing process.

I wonder if Microsoft is wishing it never promised backwards compatibility in the first place.

Posted ImageDigg this story!

#2 zewone   Thursday CAGiversary!   43156 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 07:30 AM

I really don't think they care, which is fine, because I don't either.

I bought a 360 to play 360 games.

#3 shipwreck   CAG Reviews Editor Super Moderators   7519 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago   Has been playing Dying Light
PS4

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:15 AM

Oh snap, we're doing charts now. I'll be all over this mind-blowing, macro-writing Excel skills. :)

So it looks as though roughly 30% of the top 100 are BC. Coincidently, that's close to the same percentage of games (29%) that are BC from the entire US Xbox catalog.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#4 jrutz   An OG CAG since the Early Aughts CAGiversary!   1560 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:50 AM

Now that Cheapy is a "video game consultant" he has to do these things to stay legit. ;) Hey, what's better for Cheapy is better for us. Where's the Kool Aid!?!

Seriously, this is an interesting breakdown. No doubt we'll see the story lifted word for word on Kotaku or Joystiq in a day or two - with no reference or credit, mind you.

Thanks for the stats, Cheapy!

Jeremy

#5 TimPV3   Butthole CAGiversary!   2479 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:03 AM

Great/interesting post, the last sentence really makes you think. Microsoft was definately put under pressure to include backwards compatibility, I'd say it's comparable to Sony's tilt-sensors.

#6 Richlough   ... CAGiversary!   3738 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:32 AM

I'd rather they choose BC by review scores than sales numbers .

I don't want to play 50 Cent Bulletproof , or any other crap like that .

card.pngl1.gif

#7 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   17053 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago   Has been playing Grand Theft Auto V
PC

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:41 AM

I'd rather they choose BC by review scores than sales numbers.

I'm sure it has more to do with what the Microsoft team is able to do technically, than either of those two factors.

No doubt we'll see the story lifted word for word on Kotaku or Joystiq in a day or two - with no reference or credit, mind you.

Nah, those are two sites you never have to worry about getting credit for a story. They are really good about that stuff.

#8 guyver2077   CAG Original CAGiversary!   15678 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

guyver2077

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:09 PM

Bc is very important for me and i seriously hope they do add to the bc list

1080i is for douchebags

#9 Maddgief   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   283 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:13 PM

Fancy chart.

Between this and Bloomberg, I'm beginning to think you are the smartest man alive.

#10 redline   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   949 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:27 PM

Interesting stuff. Precisely the reason I bought a backup Xbox for my Xbox games, I'm not going to rely on the 360 to be able to play all of them.

#11 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   9620 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:43 PM

I wonder if Microsoft is wishing it never promised backwards compatibility in the first place.

I know I wish they never said it...although I probably wouldn't have bought a 360 as soon as I did - which shows why they did say it in the first place.

Nah, those are two sites you never have to worry about getting credit for a story.

I've only had a 50% success rate getting stuff I submitted credited...although I've only sent two things.

Anyway...

I know it's "difficult" to get certain games working with BC. You'll have to forgive me if I don't sympathize and come rushing to the defense of one of the largest companies in the world that has near limitless resources.
Posted Image

#12 TurkeyOnRye   Hey? Is this velvet? CAGiversary!   1014 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

TurkeyOnRye

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:40 PM

I know it's "difficult" to get certain games working with BC. You'll have to forgive me if I don't sympathize and come rushing to the defense of one of the largest companies in the world that has near limitless resources.

Snap.

I agree with Zewone though. Buy an Xbox 360 for 360 games. If you don't think they warrant buying a 360 on it's own, then hold off for a year or so until the 360 library gets built up. Be wary if Microsoft starts boasting of the 360's library due to backward compatibility... that's what Atari and others did before the big crash.

#13 MaskedPlague   Plague 2.01 CAGiversary!   734 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

MaskedPlague

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:48 PM

Great post, Cheapy. I wonder where the rest of the BC games rank. It would be interesting to break down the average rating range and the number of BC games in that range. I wish I had the time.

#14 schultzed   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4930 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:48 PM

I really don't think they care, which is fine, because I don't either.

I bought a 360 to play 360 games.

But I own something like 100 Xbox games (many never played :-( ).

My big problem is space . . . I don't want to add a 360 to my Xbox, PS2, and GC . . . the PS3 and Wii can just replace my current system.

I may end up with a 360 but it has to be much cheaper and the library needs to shine.

For now, I will stand with my current systems. I might get a Wii -- only because it will be cheaper and my kids will love the games.

#15 drsuper23   Been here a while CAGiversary!   1070 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:10 PM

I think that my collection falls in line with the chart. That means that I have to keep a big ass system that I would like to get rid of. I do have the space, it's just that I would like to get rid of my xbox just like I got rid of my Playstation and my GBA SP. Kind of in those lines.
Posted Image

Posted Image
PS3 Trophies

For use of those who I trade with. My past trade rating.

#16 mykevermin   Queen of Scotland CAGiversary!   36391 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:23 PM

I wonder where the rest of the BC games rank.

His chart lists 224 BC games out of ~240. Those last 16 must be what we call 'outliers.' Those games that didn't stand a chance in hell of being intentionally made BC, but were circumstantially so due to the similarity in code compared with other BC games. Barbie's Horse Adventures, for instance. I think it uses the "Doom 3" engine.

Of course, I think someone already pointed out that high reviews don't mean high sales. I'd like to see how a similar chart stacks up using sales as an independent variable instead.
Posted Image

#17 itspaidgasterblaster   Be bound by nothing CAGiversary!   304 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

itspaidgasterblaster

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:27 PM

The reason i bought the 360 was cause i was hoping to have most of the games i own and play them on the 360. What about Panzer Dragoon Orta, Sudeki, Soul Calibur 2, Kingdom under fire 1, 2, samurai showdown v. I have the space but also I don't want two systems from the same company in my tv. Also they have such deep pockets.
Take this broken remains

#18 blandstalker   I am Irrelevant Bitching CAGiversary!   2462 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

blandstalker

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:38 PM

But I own something like 100 Xbox games (many never played :-( ).

My big problem is space . . . I don't want to add a 360 to my Xbox, PS2, and GC . . . the PS3 and Wii can just replace my current system.

I may end up with a 360 but it has to be much cheaper and the library needs to shine.

For now, I will stand with my current systems. I might get a Wii -- only because it will be cheaper and my kids will love the games.

This is exactly how I feel. Well, I plan on having fun with the Wii too, but other than that, word for word.
Now playing: Some Game I Last Played Months Ago (DS), Ancient Game I Tried Once (PS3), Why Do I Never Update My Signature? (360), Backlog Assassins (iPad)

#19 expane   Tappin out posers CAGiversary!   978 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:50 PM

typical empty MS hype promise. Imagine what the sales of the 360 would be had they announced what the real numbers of BC games would be. Those top 100 numbers are just flat out insulting.

#20 Pylis   Cheap Ass Super-Ninja CAGiversary!   1387 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:56 PM

When I bought a 360 I had no intention of ever getting rid of my original XBox anyway, so this doesn't bother me. As far as the "limitless resources" argument goes, it's not really a matter of money, but time. In epobirs post, he states that the playtesting process has to be completed again for each individual game; BC isn't something we can expect overnight.

#21 vherub   x CAGiversary!   3392 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 03:27 PM

I wonder if MS would ever consider enlisting the aid of gamers at large in BC'ing games. Making whatever tools available as neccessary or just soliciting manhours for whatever the more time-intensive tasks are.
I am not suggesting opening the floodgates to hackers, but I am sure there are a lot of talented people out there (and not just in the hs/college bracket) with the time and desire to help out if they were given the chance.

#22 sying   Speedy1961 Defense Force CAGiversary!   2261 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 03:29 PM

That is one green chart. I think we should temper our expectations about BC. All of the games are not going to be BC in a day. Its going to take some time.

#23 JSK414   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   699 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 03:39 PM

I want to see more backwards compatibility. I just bought a 360 and sole my old xbox... I don't need/play half the games I had for it, but I would like to get some good games for cheap for the original xbox ocassionaly and have some fun. (While playing it on the 360 of course)

#24 racerman8   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   373 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 04:18 PM

I'm one of them who did not sold and did not plan to sell my Xbox after getting the Xbox 360, so the BC problem don't have any effect on me.

#25 Gregalor   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5164 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 04:23 PM

80% for the Top 10 isn't bad, but it's amazing how quickly the numbers slip to a pathetic HALF for the Top 25.

#26 cool8man   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   34 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

cool8man

Posted 15 June 2006 - 04:28 PM

The oddest thing about this chart is that there is no difference between the percentage of top 250 and top 300 games. Does that mean that # 250-300 of the top ranked games are all backwards compatible or did CheapyD screw up when making this chart?

#27 Maddgief   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   283 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 04:46 PM

Buy an Xbox 360 for 360 games.

There's a big problem with this logic- one that I've only discovered by recently buying my first PS2.

There are a great many games that were on the PS1 that were the first in a series (MGS being a prime example). If the PS2 didn't have BC, then I would have never been able to play it and really understand the characters. Additionally, there are great classics from the PS1 (Chrono Trigger comes to mind) that I would never have experienced without BC? Is your response 'You should buy a PS1 or Super Nintendo if you want to play the old games?'

If Nintendo and Sony can figure out BC, why can't MS?

#28 mykevermin   Queen of Scotland CAGiversary!   36391 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 05:04 PM

The big problem with any logic that accepts this is that it gives Microsoft permission to abandon any other promises it made prior to the launch of the 360. If they can reneg on BC, why not anything else?
Posted Image

#29 jrutz   An OG CAG since the Early Aughts CAGiversary!   1560 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 05:07 PM

I don't know if anyone reads my blog, but I wrote a story on BC a couple of weeks ago. Here are some hot points why BC is a good idea:

But unlike my older consoles, where I can pull them out of storage and hook them up to the front AV input of my TV, the Xbox is much more involved. Like I said before - component cables, optical audio, ethernet - means it’s a pain in the ass to hook up.

Oh yeah - there’s a small little fact that the 360 has spoiled me. Wireless controllers, power-up or dashboard from the controller.

What about my investment in premium downloadable content on the original Xbox? Even if the game was compatible with the 360, my premium content doesn’t follow it. Which means I’d have to rebuy or do without - or just stick with what’s already on my Xbox hard drive. That is the biggest miss by Microsoft.

And wouldn’t it be nice to be able to move saved games from the Xbox to the Xbox 360? Sony was smart with the PS2 in that the memory cards were backwards compatible as well, which allowed people to carry forth their saved games as well as their favorite titles. With the Xbox, for most people these are stuck to the Xbox’s internal hard drive.

Jeremy

#30 Chacrana   You wa Cock CAGiversary!   22669 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 05:18 PM

I'd agree with all of those points, but my major reason for wanting BC is pretty simple: The Xbox is fucking huge. I don't have the room for a ton of systems and needing the Xbox 1 to play those games isn't exactly a convenience. I realize the Xbox can go in the closet, but it's really just a pain to have that behemoth lying around when MS' competitors have systems that replace their previous consoles.

it was probably in there because I'm a flaming homosexual.