This applies to school supplies and clothing.
BUT, Circuit City has said it will apply to everything in their stores.
[UPDATE] Best Buy will also sell everything in their store tax free as well.
AND, Walmart will sell all computers and computer equipment tax free.
That is according to the Washington Post.
Here is what the official website says:
During Virginia's Sales Tax Holiday, purchases of school supplies selling for $20 or less per item, and articles of clothing, including footwear, selling for $100 or less per item, will be exempt from sales tax. All retailers selling these items MUST participate in the Sales Tax Holiday. Sales tax exemptions do not apply to items selling for more than the amounts listed.
Retailers may also choose to absorb the sales tax on other items during the Sales Tax Holiday, but they are responsible for paying the tax themselves to the Department of Taxation.
Also from the website:
The following is an all-inclusive list of items that are included in the term "school supply" and are therefore exempt from tax during the sales tax holiday period if their sales price is $20 or less per item. Only the following items are exempt as school supplies. Items need not be intended for use in school or in connection with a school activity to be eligible for the exemption.
- Blackboard chalk
- Book bags
- Cellophane tape
- Clay and glazes
- Composition books
- Dictionaries and thesauruses
- Folders: expandable, pocket, plastic, and manila
- Glue, paste, and paste sticks
- Index card boxes
- Index cards
- Legal pads
- Lunch boxes
- Musical instruments, musical instrument accessories, and replacement items for musical instruments
- Paintbrushes for artwork
- Paints (acrylic, tempera, and oil)
- Paper: loose leaf ruled notebook paper, copy paper, graph paper, tracing paper, manila paper, colored paper, poster board and construction paper
- Pencil boxes and other school supply boxes
- Pencil sharpeners
- Reference books
- Reference maps and globes
- Sheet music
- Sketch and drawing pads
- Workbooks; and
- Writing tablets