CAGcast #786: Be the Keighley You Want to See in the World

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Hi everybody, I forgot my old sign in to this site so I made a new one 'cause... it's a rough time out there for the engineers and the IT guys and the artists and everyone else who helps make video games. But, an odd occurrence happens when you look at the developers of Super Mario Bros. Wonder. Back in the 80's, 5 people made the original Super Mario Bros. In 2023, 4 out of those 5 people worked on Super Mario Bros. Wonder.

These gigantic corporations laying off anyone at a drop of a hat every other week, they all fail to realize the fact that people who work together over time form strong bonds. They end up with a coherency and a, dare I say it, synergy, that cannot be replicated. Having developers work together for years and even decades is THE BEST WAY to stimulate growth and innovation.

Sony, Microsoft, EA, Embracer, etc etc etc are all looking towards the next quarter without any regard for how a cohesive team could really bring something unique to the table. This mindset isn't going to kill videogames, but it IS going to highlight why Nintendo is still making money in a few decades, while everyone else keeps chasing a ghost.

Love the show guys!
-Grant

bread's done
Back