Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
You still get shipping update emails even without subscribing to their newsletter. At least that's how it used to work.

Thankfully I'm not on the hook for Bird King or anything else from them. I'm sure though the moment the Bird King stuff is brought up someone will post something either here. I'm not holding my breath on that happening. They've screwed around for so many years it'll probably still be a thing holding when they get shut down by embracer for physical direct to consumer sales.
"Your stuff has shipped" emails yes, "here's an update on production" emails no. The latter is, for whatever reason, tied to their marketing list (or was as recently as this year). The "production update" emails also devolved to a point of just occasionally pointing out that stuff was delayed by a quarter at a time, so probably not a big loss at the end of the day.

I own most of the old JP games CIB in original formats.  I do have all the games LRG is offering, but I do like the amber carts.  Paying $30 more for each for a light and paper I don't want is a big ask with 5 games.

[attachment=38221:20220713_181631 (1).jpg]

Last edited by a moderator:
You still get shipping update emails even without subscribing to their newsletter. At least that's how it used to work.

Thankfully I'm not on the hook for Bird King or anything else from them. I'm sure though the moment the Bird King stuff is brought up someone will post something either here. I'm not holding my breath on that happening. They've screwed around for so many years it'll probably still be a thing holding when they get shut down by embracer for physical direct to consumer sales.
Doug is going to have an update on that soon.

or something.

I own most of the old JP games CIB in original formats. I do have all the games LRG is offering, but I do like the amber carts. Paying $30 more for each for a light and paper I don't want is a big ask with 5 games.
Now this is neat... I always love seeing people with so many games in one series that's NOT one of the more common series (Marios, Pokemons, etc.).

I also kinda have a similar collection of a lot of games form a less-mainstream series (well, US at least and only interms of the games/not the Anime): Yu-Gi-Oh! LOL I think I have every US release with the cards at this point.

That Jurassic Park collection is interesting. If I had something that person didn't have I'd probably offer to just send it to them... but I don't think I ever even bought a single JP game. I wasn't as into the whole dinosaur thing or JP. They were fun action movies but I couldn't get past how bad an idea it was to bring back dinosaurs (which of course the movies somewhat demonstrated).

"Your stuff has shipped" emails yes, "here's an update on production" emails no.
I never cared much for the production updates because it would still be so many weeks... possibly more than a few before anything in hand actually started shipping... and even when something shipped the shipping notifications would often arrive after my order arrived.

That Jurassic Park collection is interesting. If I had something that person didn't have I'd probably offer to just send it to them... but I don't think I ever even bought a single JP game. I wasn't as into the whole dinosaur thing or JP. They were fun action movies but I couldn't get past how bad an idea it was to bring back dinosaurs (which of course the movies somewhat demonstrated).

I never cared much for the production updates because it would still be so many weeks... possibly more than a few before anything in hand actually started shipping... and even when something shipped the shipping notifications would often arrive after my order arrived.
More so the first movie, but all the movies talk about how bad an idea it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nz8YrCC9X8

Can you imagine buying 5 CEs in one order?  First off you'd be spending $500 plus shipping and tax.  Second you'd be waiting atleast 2 years to get it.  I truly hope no one buys into this garbage.

I'm convinced at this point that the "slowing down" comment was a big lie to make people things things might actually get better.  I guess LRG has never heard the saying "actions speak louder than words."

LRG DGAF about you or me or anyone, they have to keep pumping crap constantly to be able to stay afloat. They will say anything they feel like saying but the business model doesn't work if they slow down with the immense backlog they have.

Simple as that folks.

LRG DGAF about you or me or anyone, they have to keep pumping crap constantly to be able to stay afloat. They will say anything they feel like saying but the business model doesn't work if they slow down with the immense backlog they have.

Simple as that folks.
given the scuttlebutt that they can't stop as the interest free loans they get from orders is the only thing keeping them afloat comments in the past. They'd likely go under if they ever did. It always seemed like a shell game to me.

Can you imagine buying 5 CEs in one order? First off you'd be spending $500 plus shipping and tax. Second you'd be waiting atleast 2 years to get it. I truly hope no one buys into this garbage.

I'm convinced at this point that the "slowing down" comment was a big lie to make people things things might actually get better. I guess LRG has never heard the saying "actions speak louder than words."
Maybe they figure in two years their ability to ship things will be improved.

I'm surprised no one mentioned yet the collect-em-all mini posters that combine to form one big poster. Yeah, um... that's just an adult diaper load of shit bad practices.

Can you imagine buying 5 CEs in one order? First off you'd be spending $500 plus shipping and tax. Second you'd be waiting atleast 2 years to get it. I truly hope no one buys into this garbage.

I'm convinced at this point that the "slowing down" comment was a big lie to make people things things might actually get better. I guess LRG has never heard the saying "actions speak louder than words."
I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt on the "slow down" comment. it's reasonable to assume that most of these games going up for preorder have been contracted for a while. Hell, there are even games that have been announced and haven't gone up for preorder. So, if the slow down comment was real, I wouldn't expect to see a material change until mid 2024 at the earliest. I admit a lot of it is speculation, but without a detailed look at the contract process, we can't really know what slowing down means.

Releasing games that won’t sell to take up more space in a warehouse because I refuse to cancel?  Someone needs a fucking education on the sunk cost fallacy.  Just because you already put money in doesn’t mean you throw more money in if it’s not going to make you money.  

To keep releasing when you are already burning more buyers out than you are gaining is stupid from a business standpoint.  This isn’t even high level marketing info.  It’s common sense.

I'm glad that you all are starting to understand the problem with them paying giant stipends to their developer partners up front on every deal.  With every new subsequent slew of releases, It is plainly obvious the situation this company has put themselves in.  One day it is going to end very badly, but only for the customers with outstanding orders. 

We've been footing their bills through paying shipping and luxury tax on every item.  So that Josh can continue funding his lifestyle. 

They offer "no risk" deals to every developer with cash up front.  Great deal for them.  But it's all off of your backs.  While needing new pre-pre-release sales to fund old cashflow.  They haven't been able to employ a consistent shipping team; that should be your other clue.  The gross part about it is that these outrageously priced CEs have not been enough to keep up with business costs.  Do I have to tell you how this all ends??  It's "robbing Peter to pay Paul" and it's plainly obvious.  Have some common sense.  It's all there in plain sight.  Do some brief article reading on Sam Bankman-Fried in the news lately; he is consistent and convinced that he wasn't doing anything wrong, and certainly nothing malicious!

There is going to be a day coming where their office doors are simply shuttered.  You won't hear details.  Operations will have ceased.   They will be "unable to discuss the ongoing legal battle and court issues".   Most of all, you will very simply have NO LEGAL RECOURSE for all of these items charged to your credit card 18 months ago.  What they are doing goes against the terms and agreements of any and every lender.  No one will help you when that day comes. and you're going to feel like a goat. 

Plus I don't know why you believe anything that they say at this point.

I'm glad that you all are starting to understand the problem with them paying giant stipends to their developer partners up front on every deal. With every new subsequent slew of releases, It is plainly obvious the situation this company has put themselves in. One day it is going to end very badly, but only for the customers with outstanding orders.
this is what im afraid off. One day it will catch up to LRG and i just hope.....hope that by that time I no longer have any outstanding orders

This already happened to me once with DispatchGames. Those fuck screwed me over with their Radirgy and GameParadise release. Ive stopped counting the years that have passed and just came to an understanding that I got scammed by them and will never get my money or game from them.

LRG seems to be walking the same line now

Yes, I agree that LRG is likely cash flow negative if they stopped generating new products for a month or so.

With VGP, it's funny that they're starting to bundle sale certain limited releases.

Their reprints are super smart and are done well for obviously in-demand titles. Sitting on old LRG stock for months to years is just a burden to them, too.

I would treat any money you give to LRG these days as a Kickstarter project and not actual sales; more so when product delivery times fall outside of purchase protection offerings.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1710356581454336439
https://twitter.com/AspyrMedia/status/1461393770973433859

we-have-determinedthat.jpg

Josh and LRG also retweeted that several times to push their version. I guess technically it's not a double pack like most people thought.

^Not technically a lie since both KOTORs require a download in that pack.
Right, and the squirrel-y wording raised a lot of red flags when they said it because those well-versed in LRG knew that some kind of technicality would be used as a workaround.

At this point, "Not technically a lie" is just under "You'll get your shit eventually" as LRG's mantra.

One day it is going to end very badly, but only for the customers with outstanding orders.

There is going to be a day coming where their office doors are simply shuttered. You won't hear details. Operations will have ceased. They will be "unable to discuss the ongoing legal battle and court issues". Most of all, you will very simply have NO LEGAL RECOURSE for all of these items charged to your credit card 18 months ago. What they are doing goes against the terms and agreements of any and every lender. No one will help you when that day comes. and you're going to feel like a goat.
Exactly. When a company like this folds, the last thing they care about is fulfilling customers' pending orders or issuing refunds. It all seems illegal and unbelievable, but it's happened before, and it will happen again (and it happened to me).

I'd advise anyone to never pre-order anything unless it's from somewhere that doesn't charge the payment method until the order is shipped.

I've started playing the original Shantae on PS4 (the last game I bought from LRG) and I'm really not impressed by the Carbon Engine. Save states are a nice add-on, but loading a state results in about a second of black screen before load-in (during which time you can move, enemies can move, etc.). So you can walk off a ledge or get hit while the screen's still black and loading in. Additionally, I'm infrequently getting random artifacting.

I get that translating games across different architectures is hard and I'm sure what they've done is better than anything I could do, but I really expected more considering how much it's been talked up. Has anyone tried any of the other Carbon Engine games? Curious whether this is isolated to Shantae or if it's the engine itself.

For what it's worth, the game itself is fine. Definitely has that old school clunkiness you'd expect from a GBC title. Music is really good, and I am glad it's on modern platforms even if it's not without issue.

I'd get that for $20... they're $5 mobile games, at best.

And they should have never signed to release KEMCO games one at a time, specifically the Excrete Games releases.

I got shipping confirmation for DoDonPachi Resurrection Steelbook Edition this morning. The other two orders around that time, each with two games, one of each of those two games was delayed until "Q1 2024."

Ah yes, I won't hesitate to wishlist their game on the acclaimed physical games storefront (checks notes) Steam.
Everyone knows games that rot in people's Steam libraries are the same games people are clamoring for physical versions of!

This Arzette game is being billed as a spiritual successor to the Zelda CD-i games, so I absolutely expect LRG to make a $300 edition with a replica spoon controller or some other shit.

Making modern retro bad games is the next logical step for a company remastering and porting retro bad games. 

I guess they've completely lost the thread; this is the shark-jumping moment, y'all. 

I love these supposedly famous retro games from my generation that I've never heard of. 

People are seriously buying games off of "hey I remember seeing a picture of that as a kid once".

Save your money for something more important like a Starbucks coffee. 

Ah yes, I won't hesitate to wishlist their game on the acclaimed physical games storefront (checks notes) Steam.
Part of me wants to say we should all just start wishlisting every single game, of every single platform, of every single version they announce going forward just to fuck with Josh/Embracer... they'll see the wishlist numbers and think a lot of those will convert to sales, only to be disappointed when they don't.

But knowing them, they'll spin it into actual sales "Look at the demand ARZETTE!!! PRE-ORDER NOW!!"!!

After almost a year and a half, my order being held up by Sam and Max: This Time It's Virtual is finally shipping. Once I get that order I'll have no more orders with LRG and will only get any of their future games from Amazon and VGP. Hopefully their robbing Peter to pay Paul house of cards holds up long enough for the rest of you to get your orders.

ive literally never heard of arzette
It's a made up new game parodying the Philips CD-i Zelda title; it's just made to look like and marketed as a lost "hidden gem."

The developer is named "Seedy Eye." Say it out loud. Then groan.

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties is perfect react streamer bait; like MST3K, it's a bad thing I want to watch others suffer through, not suffer myself.
I actually want it because it's tangentially tied into something I've been working on. (Same genre, very similar ideas, etc.)

But I can't afford the game and I don't know if I'll still be here by the time they actually ship the damn thing out.

It's a made up new game parodying the Philips CD-i Zelda title; it's just made to look like and marketed as a lost "hidden gem."

The developer is named "Seedy Eye." Say it out loud. Then groan.
giphy.gif

Oh, that's just awful. Beat us over the head with it more, why don't you.

So is it a new game, they are reprinting the Zelda CD-i titles (lol no chance) or are they just being stupider than usual and making something up? I stand by my wat.

I think the zelda cdi games are the nintendo equivalent of song of the south and they don't want to acknowledge they existed. But it'd be kinda almost cool if they remade them somday with live actors and embraced the campiness. 

That Arzette game was shown back at the LRG fake e3 thing in July(?)... while it's not for me, the 2D platforming part of it looked pretty legit. I have no history with the CD-i Zelda games (or the CD-i) otherwise I might be pretty interested in this, especially as they got the original voice actors back.

But it'd be kinda almost cool if they remade them somday with live actors and embraced the campiness.
If they came out with a compilation of those games on Switch, I'd buy them just because it's Zelda. They could throw in Hotel Mario just for the hell of it.

bread's done
Back