Sleep is Death - Pre-orders closed. Now $14

fizzywix

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (100%)
I posted about this game in the General Gaming section, but figured I'd post here too since it is a deal I suppose (and the game deserves the exposure!!)

http://sleepisdeath.net/

It's two players only. Pre-ordering for $9 gets you download links for two people to download this Friday. If you don't pre-order, it costs $14 and isn't available until the 16th.

Read more about the game in my thread about it by clicking here.

www.sidtube.com is up now. They have forums and an IRC to find others to play with, which will extend the playability of the game considerably.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='AionTelos']i still don't quite understand it...[/QUOTE]

One person basically creates the environemnt beforehand. The levels, characters, world is created by the Controller. Then a Player joins the game and controls a character, typing in speech and commands. The two palyers alternate 30 second turns, and the Controller controls how the world reacts to the Players actions.

Watch the slideshow at this link to help understand how the game works. Basically the guy in the slideshow is the Player, and the Controller is everything else.

Ive been interested in this, but dont expect any of my friends to play. Will there be a online interface to find Controllers or players?

[quote name='videodrone']Ive been interested in this, but dont expect any of my friends to play. Will there be a online interface to find Controllers or players?[/QUOTE]

Nope, the only way to get into a game is to enter in the other player's IP address.

I'll play with you, though! :p

[quote name='videodrone']Ive been interested in this, but dont expect any of my friends to play. Will there be a online interface to find Controllers or players?[/QUOTE]
Nope, and that's the whole reason I'm not buying it. :(

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']Still on the fence about getting this, mostly I have to figure out who among my personal friends I can convince to actually play it with me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've convinced a few to get it and play with me, so I'm happy.

I don't think it's unreasonable to imagine an updated version of the game may be released with a matchmaking sort of capability, since the complete source code comes with the game. Or even simply an irc chat or something for people to find games to play.

Comes with

• Windows build
  • MacOS build (10.2 and later, PPC/Intel)
  • Full source code bundle (which can also be compiled on GNU/Linux)

Regardless of the internet matchmaking, this seems like the kind of "game" that you really need to be able to work/imagine/share ideas, storytelling, characterizations freely - seems too personal to go well with internet strangers. It seems (from the various previews I've read) like it'll go great with people you know in and out, people you're willing to be a fool with and make a fool out of.

[quote name='el swordo']ah don't feel like compiling anything thanks anyway[/QUOTE]

You're interested in a Linux version but can't be bothered to ./configure && make?

[quote name='fizzywix']One person basically creates the environemnt beforehand. The levels, characters, world is created by the Controller. Then a Player joins the game and controls a character, typing in speech and commands. The two palyers alternate 30 second turns, and the Controller controls how the world reacts to the Players actions.

Watch the slideshow at this link to help understand how the game works. Basically the guy in the slideshow is the Player, and the Controller is everything else.[/QUOTE]

Oh Nooooo!!! They left Henry in the burning house!! :hot:

To anyone who wants a better understanding of the game, here are two excellent links of the creator of the game playing with a journalist. Both of these are recent articles, both have unique stories crafted just for them.

This one is written by Leigh Alexander (so even though it's a Kotaku article, it's a guest writer and very well written), and is an excellent read:

http://kotaku.com/5507753/a-video-game-death-made-for-me

Another playthrough with Rock Paper Shotgun, I haven't read this one yet but it has a ton of pictures detailing the process used in the game

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/04/07/bad-cop-hands-on-with-sleep-is-death/

Both of these should give anyone a good idea what this game is about.

This is definitely an interesting concept, but I think I'll just be a bystander and check out some of the stories that people post. They are fun to read.

just pre-ordered.
btw, does anyone know of a forum for this game? maybe some sort of area where a person could look for someone else to play with?

Hey guys, www.sidtube.com is officially up and running. On there, they have forums and an IRC to find other players, so I would not worry anymore about not having anyone to play with.

You will also be able to share your games and stuff as well.

Only a couple hours left to preorder!

Hmmm, I tried pre-ordering, but I can't get any form of payment to go through (I'm broke, but not that broke). I'll probably miss out...

Shoot. Bold red letters on the frontpage: Pre-Orders are now closed.

Oh well. I'll just have to wait a week and spend $14 instead.
I'm definitely a cheap ass gamer, but $14? I can fork over the cost of 3 samwhiches to experience/support something cool like this.

mmmmmm...samwhiches

[quote name='gettinmoney662']This looks so stupid.[/QUOTE]
Hey, I dont see you trying to sell or pitch a unique concept where people actually pre-order it.

It's neat to click through the explanation, but if I had to wait 30 seconds for each of the events to occur - that's nuts.

Really, why not just role-play with your friends? There are tons of story-telling oriented RPGs out there. They're also indie games, but of the table top variety. :p

Sorry, cool concept, but man, if you can get a friend to put in that much effort for some pixels, cut out the effort and focus on the story telling. My two cents.

It is a good idea, though. For one thing the friends may not be near each other, and this allows you to tell these stories/participate in them from anyway. It's not a game, really, more a platform for telling interactive stories over the internet. I like the idea, but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay for it, especially since I don't think I'd be interested in playing this with strangers and I can't see any of my friends playing it. Like the developer has said, it's really for friends. With strangers I can see it always devolving into penis jokes.

[quote name='palejackal']It's neat to click through the explanation, but if I had to wait 30 seconds for each of the events to occur - that's nuts.

Really, why not just role-play with your friends? There are tons of story-telling oriented RPGs out there. They're also indie games, but of the table top variety. :p

Sorry, cool concept, but man, if you can get a friend to put in that much effort for some pixels, cut out the effort and focus on the story telling. My two cents.[/QUOTE]

From the description, previews, and interviews with Jason Rohrer it seems that it's much more like a single-player adventure game with the pre-scripted story and actions replaced by a live player. While it might, on paper, share many features with a pen & paper RPG I'm fairly confident that in practice the two aren't similar at all. Plus, it's fun to play video games and you won't feel like an idiot the way most normal people feel if they sit down with a case of Mountain Dew and a bag of Cheetos to play D&D.

Guess we'll find out in a few hours.

[quote name='hpv'] Plus, it's fun to play video games and you won't feel like an idiot the way most normal people feel if they sit down with a case of Mountain Dew and a bag of Cheetos to play D&D.
[/QUOTE]

ROTFL. So sitting on a PC to play doesn't make anyone feel dumb, but playing with other people in life does?

It's a lot more difficult to be the controller than I thought it would be... the interface is kind of clumsy, but maybe it's just the total lack of tutorial and overall unfamiliarity with the program.

Still, I can see having a great time with this tool.

this game looks very "meh"... I watched the how to play thing and it looked very very rpg in the traditional sense. This game as a 2 player only game with no internet connection is a terrible idea and for its price is so not worth it. Good concept and would be great if I had friends who had that interest, but def not for me.

To the guy who was asking about the Linux version. I'm running Ubuntu and the "compiling" couldn't be easier. You don't even need to go to Terminal. The entire process is (1) unzip (2) double click to run the 'build' file (must 'run in terminal' so you can select Linux option) (3) run the launcher to play!

If you want to change screen resolution, and even the timer there are text files in the settings folder. It looks like you can even change the 30 seconds limit to any number of seconds!

[quote name='dcon agent 000']ROTFL. So sitting on a PC to play doesn't make anyone feel dumb, but playing with other people in life does?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, of course. When you're staring a computer screen instead of a person it is a whole lot less real. It's the same phenomenon that allows you to write absolutely retarded posts on the Internet and think you are clever for doing so.

[quote name='hpv']Yeah, of course. When you're staring a computer screen instead of a person it is a whole lot less real. It's the same phenomenon that allows you to write absolutely retarded posts on the Internet and think you are clever for doing so.[/QUOTE]

No, that phenomenon is called keyboard courage. It's not thinking that you're clever for doing so, it's knowing that there will be no immediate repercussion to calling someone names whereas if you did that in person, depending on who it is, you'd get your face caved in.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']No, that phenomenon is called keyboard courage. It's not thinking that you're clever for doing so, it's knowing that there will be no immediate repercussion to calling someone names whereas if you did that in person, depending on who it is, you'd get your face caved in.[/QUOTE]

That's obviously what you are doing but not related the conversation at hand. But I'm sure it makes you feel real smart and tough sitting in your mom's basement so carry on since you'll never reproduce those positive feelings in any other way.

bread's done
Back