Phantasy Star Online Question.......

GTmaster39

CAGiversary!
If I buy this game for the Gameube and I buy the special modem to go with it, do I have to pay to play, do I some how need to pay Nintendo money so I can play it online, kinda like xbox live. :?:

yeah you have to pay like $8.95 a month to play PSO on gamecube or xbox. I have it for xbox, and its real fun and addicting, i got it back in June and still play it to this day. The dreamcast days were the best tho, you didn't have to pay or use seganet, I was just using free net or something and was able to play for free. However if you do get PSO, i reccomend getting it on Xbox, 1 for the voice communicator, and 2 the controller is better and the xbox servers are a lot better.

Well, I would get it for xbox, but I dont like xbox (it all falls into my belief that this is another stepping stone for microsoft taking over the world/ theory) but I'm getting a Gamecube. Thanks for the heads up on the price. I used to have it for my Dreamcast, well actually I still do, but I dont believe in paying a company just to play an online game, to me it just seems a little retarded :roll: , I was hopeing that it would be free for the Gamecube. :cry:

well the gamecube version its better for 1 it has a lot more quest and the newly realesed challenge mode for episode2,and some games that you can dowload to the gameboy. 8)

first month is free though :p

GT master you may want to check CompUSA for PSO on the GCN

I got a copy for 20 bucks that was in a big bin with a lot of crappy games

What are the odds they would open this one up for free play? I mean, with all the great online console games out there right now, I would think the $9 monthly fee seriously killed any potential for this game, Xbox or GC.

I had it for the DC so I was very familiar with Episode I. I bought it for the Xbox, leveled my player up to around level 20, and then the game got pushed aside for some of the new releases. It's too bad, it's such a fun game, but there's no real reason to own it unless you are going online with it. And unless you are going to go online more than twice a week every week, the monthly fee just isn't worth it.

I wish they would just make this one free and open up the flood gates to everyone. It definitely needs a bigger audience.

Jeremy

I mainly bought it to see what the hype was about

I will probably play online for the free month and if I like it I may stick with it but I will probably play for the free month only and have it sit in my collection

The charge is a bit much IMHO. I remember when PSO V2 hit on the DC, I was kind of worried about the charges, but when I paid for it (they sold the Hunter's licenses then in blocks of three months), it worked out to just over $3 a month, which wasn't bad. $8.95 though, that's just about up to MMORPG levels (if I'm not mistaken, with the exchance rate taken into account, FFXI is right at that price), and there's just not enough going on to justify it, especially when the inherently similar Champions of Norrath is FREE to play online for the PS2.

[quote name='SolinariDotCom']I believe that the fee covers both PSO I&II as well as PSO III, which makes it more feasible.[/quote]

Yep, absolutely correct. At least try out online (free month); I guarantee that you won't regret it, and will continue your subscription for awhile. Btw, here's a cheapass Modem Adapter: www.lan-kwei.com/gamecubeE

I'm not sure about the shipping costs, but $21 is an amazing deal.

Not worth it imo, esp if you have already played the game on dreamcast. You have to buy the game for $20 (or more), the modem for $20 (or more) and shell out $9/month. Lame. Only recommended if you play on getting PSO3 too.

[quote name='jrutz']What are the odds they would open this one up for free play? I mean, with all the great online console games out there right now, I would think the $9 monthly fee seriously killed any potential for this game, Xbox or GC.

I had it for the DC so I was very familiar with Episode I. I bought it for the Xbox, leveled my player up to around level 20, and then the game got pushed aside for some of the new releases. It's too bad, it's such a fun game, but there's no real reason to own it unless you are going online with it. And unless you are going to go online more than twice a week every week, the monthly fee just isn't worth it.

I wish they would just make this one free and open up the flood gates to everyone. It definitely needs a bigger audience.

Jeremy[/quote]

You obvioulsy didn't play it on the Dreamcast. They opened up the floodgates.. and it started out all right. But about 2-3 months after the game came out, the games SWELLED with the scum of the internet. You'd spend more than half your night trying to find a decent game to play in, and pray that you weren't in a lobby when someone would decide to go NOL characters.. I lost some of my best weapons because I'd get them in a game, and then have some noob tool come in and try to NOL a room.

well the hunter's license covers I&II and ep III
its better to get it on gc, since ur 8.95 covers both games and pso 3 is exlcusive to gc
also if u can get pso I&II for 20 its a good, deal that game has a pretty high resell rate, it still goes for like 40 on ebay
the xbox version also requires u to have xbox live for u even to play it, so u cant even play offline w/o xbox live

I really enjoyed this game for Xbox. Most of the players on there were tolerable and nice (I hate to say I contributed to "the scum of the internet" a couple of times :oops: ). Although I only played it for the time my two month free trial lasted, it was still a fun and addicting game. You get to explore the different characters and don't have to pay an additional dollar just to have more than one character ( :evil: Final Fantasy XI :evil: ). The reason I only played for two months was because I spoiled myself with duped items after me and my friends learned how to do it without an Action Replay (it was pretty tricky, but worth it :twisted: ). Then, when they patched it, I don't know why, I just stopped playing. And I already had just about all the best rares. Who knows, maybe I did get bored of it or it was the new patch, I'm not really sure :?: .

bread's done
Back