Please help me out CAG's!!!

rvdrock

CAGiversary!
Alright, I graduate December 17th and my parents informed me I have $400 to use for a present in addition to my $200 Christmas. Now, here's where I need you all, my choices:

1. New Dell computer, my computer is 4 years old...of course this would combine both graduation and christmas money...

2. Surround sound for my 30' Hi Def TV and 3 game systems...

3. Surround sound and IPod

4. Ipod and Nintendo DS

5. Surround sound and DS

I've never had this much money at my disposal and my parents would rather I use the money, instead of them giving me cash. So what would you do if you were me?

4 years old? That's, what, the 500-1ghz "age"? Hm...

I suppose you are overdue for a PC upgrade, although a Dell is hardly considered an extreme upgrade. Try getting a custom-built PC, and you'll be able to cram it with everything top-notch for under $1k.

The Nintendo DS and Ipod are also good contenders for this as well.

If I were you... I'd go DS/Ipod.

i say if you need a computer go for computer first, could always save it tell you see a really great deal so you get the most for your money

dell...

mp3 players are getting cheaper and cheaper, why everyone has a facination with apple is beyond me.

ds is nice but a 4 year old comp (im guessing p3 800) could use an upgrade.

id say new comp

ipod is the same as every other mp3 player *kinda* only that it can really act as an extra harddrive..and if u dont mind buying the costly add ons for it..u can also get it to be a radio..alot of mp3 players have a radio feature..and are alot cheaper..the ds wud be cool i guess, but..do u really need a ds when ur suffering due to sucky comp syndrome :whistle2:x...pls..think of the computers...maybe u cud find the DS online for cheaper in a few months neways..its gonne be pretty hard finding one now
i dont kno much about surround sound...so i cant offer an opinion there :(..sry

You could get a new mid-level PC, recycle your monitor for $300-500, with some change left over for a $100 MP3 player or almost a DS depending on how much you spend on a PC.

Also doesn't the PSP play MP3s, maybe you could wait for it. Then you would have a game machine + a MP3 player.

Nothing like a nice, new computer. Go for the Dell!

(BTW congrats! I'm also graduating from college this December :) )

i'd go for the surround sound...sony dream system is pretty good..i got one and the thing pushes out like 1000 watts, got it hooked up to the big screen...so it makes gaming, watching movies, whatever that much BETTER..as for the DS..eh..the new computer..you got one already..

[quote name='help1']build your own PC or customize it from ibuypower.com....[/quote]

Agreed, it's cheaper than buying an already made one and it probably be better too than it too. But what's the spec on your computer the four year one... because mine is about four years old too and I'm planning on building one whenever I have some cash around. If it's just like unbearabley slow then you would thank the heavens when you get/or build a new one.

DS would be nice.. but it's just looks like a mini laptop so you might as well get a "big laptop".

Surround sound.. definately be cool to liven up the place .. but you could get this later in the feature and deal with sounds only from the tv.

and an iPod too but you can have those feature on your computer too or well if you're a real traveler on the bus.. you might want to chose this otherwise listen to music on your computer =P.

I don't know I have a strong liking to PC cause it's real versatile and since your graduating, you probably are getting a job and can pay for some of your own stuff.

No, don't get a dell, it's a cheap piece of shit. They wouldn't need award-winning (what kind of bullshit awards have they won anyway "least understandable", anyway...) customer service if they had a good product. If you know someone that can help you build your own computer then that's the only way to go these days.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']No, don't get a dell, it's a cheap piece of shit. They wouldn't need award-winning (what kind of bullshit awards have they won anyway "least understandable", anyway...) customer service if they had a good product. If you know someone that can help you build your own computer then that's the only way to go these days.[/quote]

Absolutely.

I speak from experience here. I needed a fairly cheap computer to get me through the rest of college, and I figured that a dell would be a good choice... it wasn't. The hard drive crashed within the first 3 months that I owned it. The new hard drive seems flawed, as the computer has had little problems ever since, and I don't know how many times I've re-formatted. If I could punch Michael Dell I would.

I'm getting surround sound, and already own a Dell and it hasnt given me nearly that many problems. So I will hold out for a laptop maybe later this year.

pc imo. i think my 1.3ghz pc is too slow and it is 2-3 years old, so i am sure you need yours upgraded.

Normally I'd go for the PC, but with only a $600 budget...you aren't going to be much better off unless you custom-build it. Go for the DS/iPod. Heck, get the entry-level iPod and you could even use the leftover money for some DS games if you wanted.

Ultimately though, it's your money and your decision to make. Just have fun spending it! If I had $600 bucks at my disposal right now I'd go hog wild.

Get a Dell, they aren't that bad everyone I know who has one has never had a major problem. I can't of course say the same for Gateways, Compaqs, Sonys or something they just threw together in their parents basement.

Oh and if you do get a computer just make sure you get a 2 years exteneded waranty that will take care of any problems you do have with it.

You need to get some surround man. Personally I'd spend the money on a standard TV with a surround sound setup vs. a HDTV and no surround if I were starting out with no TV setup at all.

what are the specs of the current computer? I dont know much about computers but if you are using a computer with win 98 and .... yea then you should get a new computer for sure

Get the PC because all of the other things are essentially fun items but a computer can be fun and productive

Go for the computer. I would get a computer if i could mines 166mhz......but I bought it for $10 which was a good deal...the monitor was really nice.

bread's done
Back