Feedback
3 (100%)
Bought My new rig on black friday
3.0 GHZP4
1024 ram
160 GIG HD
DVD-RW
And of corse...the pitfall...integrated crap graphics card

Its a really new PC...so im looking at taking advantage of the PCI Express hookup. Im torn between the 6600 and 6600 GT, priced at around 150 and 200 respectivly. Could someone tell me what kind of preformence i would get out of demanding games(Far-Cry, DOOM3,HL2) with that set up and each of those cards. First hand accounts would also be appreciated.

Ive seen the numbers *Thanks to shrike* [-o< But i still need real visualizaition....someone who can actually tell me what the difference is like....not the numbers behind it.

[quote name='SupremeNumNuts']Hold on so PCI Express cards can go in regular PCI slots. I thought you needed a new motherboard.[/quote]

I believe PCI and PCI-E have different slots.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Ok lets phrase the question this way

how well would this rig
3.0 gig p4
1024 Ram
6600GT

Run HL2

Vs.

the same...but with 6600?(non gt)

And also,how would they run as a whole...not just compared tothe other.

i think it would run excellent. you havea great setup. so you ended up having a pci express slot? thats awesome. the 6600 gt is a great card and should run close to if not flawless

i would also recommend the gt version if you have the money because most of them have a core speed of 500 mhz compared to 300 on the regular version and almost double the memory speed

well lol...i think it would be worth it in the long run....but if you cant you can always overclock the regular 6600 but it wont nearly reach the numbers the 6600gt can put up

[quote name='CaseyRyback']HL2 is going to run better on an ATi card.

I would check out an X700[/quote]

Ok so like over all, the big titles...hl2...doom3....farcry...the other big graphical powers...what should i get to run that?(not going far over 200 dollar price point)

Stay away from ATI.

It will make you weep for nVidia. I don't understand the ATI craze lately. Such overrated cards, IMO.

My gforce3 runs better than the 9800 I bought, and promptly sold.

It sounds like you've already made up your mind, and rightfully so, to get the 6600GT. Go for it-- you will definately not be disappointed.

I havn't made up my mind yet...because no one has really told me what i can expect from eather of those cards. I mean...Ive seen numbers...but Id like someone to actually tell mehow well i will be able to play games like Doom 3, HL2,and sucn

Thanxs nick...the numbers helped a bit more.

Ok ive just got one last straight forwardquestion here...

With my Setup

3.0 GHz P4
1024 RAM
6600GT Card

How well should I be able to run doom 3? Under what Quality Settings and what Framerate(approx)

I've got the same setup (minus the graphic card) and I run Doom at highest settings. No real chugs, then again, the screen's not filled w/ monsters. Far Cry, as well, I run on highest settings and I see no perceptible problems.

That's on a Radeon 9800 Pro btw.

[quote name='RichD1']You'll probably be able to pump up everything up to about 1600x1200 and run fine around 60fps.[/quote]

Yay! Thanks RichD1

The 6600 GT really does great on Doom III...It also does well on Half-Life 2, just not a well as the ATI cards, no major difference though.

BTW, buy the GT version over the regular version, you won't regret it.

In comparison, the closest thing to the 6600 GT on the ATI side is the x700 xt. They perform remarkably similar, but the ATI x700 has an edge on the 6600 when it comes to turning on Anti-Aliasing. You'll see a greater performance difference with AA on, but both cards are fantastic. ATI has gained a bad rap with their driver support, but I've never really had a problem with them at all, and there's always the option to switch to omegadrivers. Right now, if I were to upgrade, the 6600 GT would be my next choice if only because there's an AGP version of it that was made recently available, otherwise I'd pick up the x700 because AA really helps when it comes down to image quality. You can keep pumping up your resolution, but there are a lot of occasions where a lower resolution with AA and Antisoptric Filtering turned on will look a lot better than a ridiculously high resolution.

Definitely go for the GT version if you're torn, though. You'll be happier in the long run and infinitely happy with the performance it will give you right now. Hope that helps!

Also- from reading all the benchmarks for HL2 (Doom 3 I really wouldn't worry about because it's really just rendering interiors so you'll always get a great performance, even on my old 9700 Pro.) the sweet spot seems to be at 1280x1024 with everything on high, and you'll get on average of 100 FPS easily. Far Cry should show similar performance, but I've found that HL2 is a little more demanding on my comp at times.

bread's done
Back