Can't play Dodgeball but can die in Iraq

David85

Banned
I saw this the other day, then again today, it's too god damn dumb for me not to post.

N.Y. Lawsuit Kicks Dodgeball Into Court
Sat Nov 20,11:20 AM ET U.S. National - AP
By MICHAEL GORMLEY, Associated Press Writer

ALBANY, N.Y. - The high-energy school yard game of dodgeball is getting kicked around a New York courtroom, where questions are being raised about whether it's just too dangerous for young children to play.

This week, a New York state Appellate Division panel refused to dismiss a lawsuit that claims a school wronged a 7-year-old girl who broke her elbow while playing dodgeball.

State and national education officials say what makes the case unique is that the lawsuit doesn't fault the school for poor supervision — but for allowing children that young to play at all.

The new challenge comes as the game is flourishing as a trendy adult activity; the obsession was the comic focus of a movie starring Ben Stiller.

But the game is also being targeted as unfair, exclusionary, and warlike for school-age youngsters. Some schools in Maine, Maryland, New York, Virginia, Texas, Massachusetts and Utah have banned dodgeball or its variations, including war ball, monster ball and kill ball.

"Dodgeball is not an appropriate activity for K-12 school physical education programs," according to The National Association for Sport and Physical Education, a nonprofit professional organization of 20,000 physical education teachers, professors, coaches, athletic directors and trainers. Dodgeball provides "limited opportunities for everyone in the class, especially the slower, less agile students who need the activity the most."

New York's case began in the fall of 2001. Seven-year-old Heather Lindaman was playing a variation of dodgeball in gym class on a hardwood court. The version included several balls and no safety or protection zone to run from the thrown balls.

Heather became tangled with another child and fell, breaking her elbow. Her lawyer, Philip Johnson, said the injury required surgery and there is a continuing concern her injured arm might not grow as long as her other arm because a growth plate may have been affected.

The New York appellate judges upheld a lower court ruling that the school district's request for summary dismissal of the case, without trial, should be denied. They said there is an argument to be heard about whether this version of dodgeball "was particularly dangerous for younger children."

The judges found some merit in the family's expert witness, Steve Bernheim, a recreational and educational safety authority. The judges wrote: "While there are no established standards of age appropriateness for dodgeball, it is recognized as a potentially dangerous activity and has been banned by several school districts in New York and elsewhere."

The appellate panel said while schools can't be "insurers of the safety of their students, they are under a duty to exercise the same degree of care as would a reasonably prudent parent."

The girl is now active and healthy, argued the school district's attorney, Keith O'Hara, and Johnson agreed. The family has not said how much it seeks in its lawsuit, Johnson said.

"This seems to be a new area," O'Hara said. "It kind of makes you think, `What's next?'"

More schools are likely to be asking the same thing.

The New York State School Boards Association is analyzing Thursday's court decision and preparing an article for its members governing districts statewide.

"Districts get sued all the time over these issues and the courts throw them out, usually in favor of the districts," said the association's Barbara Bradley. "But in this particular instance, the court has focused on whether this (game) is appropriate ... that's what seems unusual."

The Vestal Central School District now must decide whether to again appeal to have the suit dismissed or prepare for trial. No decision has been made, O'Hara said.

Only in America can you be 18 and be shot at in Iraq, but you can't play dogball in gym class. Dodgeball is good, it teaches people how to do dodge bullets when they get drafted in Iraq. :)

A 7 year old shouldn't be playing it, but the in high school this is the only game we liked, the teachers wrecked all the other ones. And if I had to play some fucked up version of baseball one more time I would have fucking killed everyone there.

"Ok, children, time for recess! Get into your giant padded suits so I can tie you safely against the wall!"

Kids get hurt. Deal with it.

Unless I misread, the girl in question is 7 years old. I don't think she could join the military or be drafted by this secret invisible draft. I also don't think 7 is a suitable age to be playing that game, especially with 'several balls and no safe zone.'

You say yourself '7 year olds shouldn't be playing it.'

Not to mention, dodgeball doesn't appear to have many of the benefits that some other sports, whether team or singleplayer, might have.
Her arm may 'grow back stronger', but it also looks like "there is a continuing concern her injured arm might not grow as long as her other arm because a growth plate may have been affected." Strong but short.

What is your opinion on lawsuits against tobacco companies?
People get cancer. Deal with it.
Or fast food restaurants.
People get fat/heart disease. Deal with it.

Anything else would be hypocrisy.

What is your opinion on lawsuits against tobacco companies?

Definitely. How can they sue? Oh I ate too much food that is clearly bad for me. Guess I'll sue the restaurant.

[quote name='dtcarson']What is your opinion on lawsuits against tobacco companies?
[/quote]

Yep, exactly. The one exception would be people who started smoking before the surgeon general's warning appeared on cigarette packs: the tobacco industry spent years spreading lies, misinformation, and lies to keep that from happening, so people who started smoking during that time deserve some compensation for that.

My rule would be quite clear: companies can sell whatever the hell they want to, and anyone who buys it is responsible for whatever happens. The single rule is that the companies in question can't lie about their products.

The draft comment was a joke.

But maybe you should learn to read...

"Dodgeball is not an appropriate activity for K-12 school physical education programs," according to The National Association for Sport and Physical Education.

I'll explain this slowly, the 12 in there stands for 12th grade, senior year, last year of public schooling, the year where you are 17-18. The People dieing in Iraq are as young as 18. Thus you can't be hit by rubber balls, but you can go out and be hit by bullets.

Fatties without a gland problem should have to pay more for health insurance. Or McDonalds should pay it.

I'm just tired of paying more so some fattie can buy a motorized scooter because that last slice of deep fried apple pie was just too delicious to pass up.

[quote name='camoor']Fatties without a gland problem should have to pay more for health insurance. Or McDonalds should pay it.

I'm just tired of paying more so some fattie can buy a motorized scooter because that last slice of deep fried apple pie was just too delicious to pass up.[/quote]

If we're gonna get into this bit I'm sure some people's genes evolved to where they can gain fat more easily for a purpose. Remember fat is an insulator. Consider people in Norway, Russia or just Tundra or Sub-Tundra climates in general. People act like the "fat gene" was such a horrible thing but it was created to serve a purpose.
Anyway I pretty much agree with what Drocket just said and I honestly like Dodgeball and I'm personally SICK of this whole coddling bit with kids. Like Drocket said they GET hurt and you're not gonna BF Skinner my kid if I ever end up getting one. You do I sue your ass to fix the school.

[quote name='Sarang01'][quote name='camoor']Fatties without a gland problem should have to pay more for health insurance. Or McDonalds should pay it.

I'm just tired of paying more so some fattie can buy a motorized scooter because that last slice of deep fried apple pie was just too delicious to pass up.[/quote]

If we're gonna get into this bit I'm sure some people's genes evolved to where they can gain fat more easily for a purpose. Remember fat is an insulator. Consider people in Norway, Russia or just Tundra or Sub-Tundra climates in general. People act like the "fat gene" was such a horrible thing but it was created to serve a purpose...[/quote]

I do not think that that is a valid argument. The costs of being obese outway the benefits of it. Just because you have a "fat" gene doesn't mean you can't prevent obesity. You just have to try harder to get it off and to eat better foods.

I don't think thyroid problems are an excuse either and I've had some trouble with mine (fluctuating levels between acceptable and problem low). There were some periods were no matter what I ate, I gained weight. So, you know what I did? I drank water. If you drink enough you will feel full and it's good for you anyway.

...and I have relatives that are overweight but do not have thyroid problems. So, you think I would be really fat by now, right? Afterall, I'm of Russian and Dutch decent? Well, I'm not. I'm not the thinnest person ever granted, but I wouldn't have people calling me "fat." I was chubbier when I was a kid, but I wasn't obese.

There is also a difference between being overweight and being obese. When you are obese you are putting your health at serious immediate risk. (Overweight people have an increased risk of getting diseases, but depending on the person -like very active people and weighlifters, it might be okay).

America went all those years (1776-now) without a fat problem and people were immigrating from Poland, Russia, and other cold weather countries. Why then, all of the sudden, are there "fat" people? BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE LAZY. GET OFF YOUR BUM!

Drop the fritos, grab a bottle of water, and go somewhere. Jeez.

...and obesity is a problem in the African community too. I haven't seen too many Black Russians... :twisted:

My dad was fat. His saying was that when the end of the world happens (Look Bush "won!") that the fat people will live on and the skiny people will starve. :)

[quote name='SadieDee'][quote name='Sarang01'][quote name='camoor']Fatties without a gland problem should have to pay more for health insurance. Or McDonalds should pay it.

If we're gonna get into this bit I'm sure some people's genes evolved to where they can gain fat more easily for a purpose. Remember fat is an insulator. Consider people in Norway, Russia or just Tundra or Sub-Tundra climates in general. People act like the "fat gene" was such a horrible thing but it was created to serve a purpose...[/quote]

I do not think that that is a valid argument. The costs of being obese outway the benefits of it. Just because you have a "fat" gene doesn't mean you can't prevent obesity. You just have to try harder to get it off and to eat better foods.

I don't think thyroid problems are an excuse either and I've had some trouble with mine (fluctuating levels between acceptable and problem low). There were some periods were no matter what I ate, I gained weight. So, you know what I did? I drank water. If you drink enough you will feel full and it's good for you anyway.

...and I have relatives that are overweight but do not have thyroid problems. So, you think I would be really fat by now, right? Afterall, I'm of Russian and Dutch decent? Well, I'm not. I'm not the thinnest person ever granted, but I wouldn't have people calling me "fat." I was chubbier when I was a kid, but I wasn't obese.

There is also a difference between being overweight and being obese. When you are obese you are putting your health at serious immediate risk. (Overweight people have an increased risk of getting diseases, but depending on the person -like very active people and weighlifters, it might be okay).

America went all those years (1776-now) without a fat problem and people were immigrating from Poland, Russia, and other cold weather countries. Why then, all of the sudden, are there "fat" people? BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE LAZY. GET OFF YOUR BUM!

Drop the fritos, grab a bottle of water, and go somewhere. Jeez.

...and obesity is a problem in the African community too. I haven't seen too many Black Russians... :twisted:[/quote]

My point was simply that those people more prone to gaining weight would most likely be from those colder countries and am I using it to justify obese people, no more like plus-size models actually.
But anyway those or that gene was created to help people adapt to the cold and the scant food they may have received at times.
With fat Africans I'd say it's laziness or there would be some European mixing along the way or it's just a fucking defect. This time not I say it's a defect NOT an adaptation.

Quick Solution: When the question of overweight children being picked on in dodge ball came up at my school the gym teachers had a simple solution. They made big padded blockers for each side for kids to hide behind and throw balls from. Thus the huskier children could be spared humiliation and could play on. It was also pretty cool to see if you could knock the barricade down by throwing enough balls at it.

[quote name='David85']My dad was fat. His saying was that when the end of the world happens (Look Bush "won!") that the fat people will live on and the skiny people will starve. :)[/quote]

Yeah, who do you think those zombies in "24 days later" are going to go for first, my sprinting ass or the fatty trying to catch his breath :wink:

bread's done
Back