Video Card question

MorbidAngel4Life

CAGiversary!
I just was wondering which of these video cards I should get, because I don't want to change my MoBo or anything(I only have a PCI slot). They are both 256mb, and I was wondering which one you guys would recommend.

VisionTek Xtasy 9200 / 256MB DDR / PCI / VGA / DVI / TV Out / Video Card
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1020528&CatId=1603

PowerColor Radeon 9250 / 256MB DDR / PCI / VGA / DVI / TV Out / Video Card
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1081946&CatId=1603

to be honest, 256 mb really isnt gettign used properly in those cards.... better of jsut buyign a new mobo (i know you said you don't want to) but trust me man PCI will hurt your gaming SO badly... the upgrade won't be as good as you think it will if you don't upgrade your mobo.... TRUST ME!!!

[quote name='help1']to be honest, 256 mb really isnt gettign used properly in those cards.... better of jsut buyign a new mobo (i know you said you don't want to) but trust me man PCI will hurt your gaming SO badly... the upgrade won't be as good as you think it will if you don't upgrade your mobo.... TRUST ME!!![/quote]

help1's right ( :shock: , I know). a 256 pci card isn't going to do as much as you might think.

[quote name='Moxio']Only PCI, huh? Ouch. That'll hurt your gaming.

If you must choose from the two, the top.[/quote]

Yeah. I just need something to boost my performance in NFSU and other games. It's really a pain having an EMachines.

Do you guys think I should get a new mobo and CPU? Cause I am looking at them, and they arent that expensive. i am thinking of switching to an AMD 64 processor, so it might be in my best interest, no?

E-Machine, huh? You'll probably need a new case/power supply too if you swap boards. I seriously doubt a E-Machine case will hold a standard board. You're looking at an extra $50-$75 or so, acording to where you go, but it will be worth it in the end. You should be able to use all your drives & your memory, so you're looking at a new MB, CPU, and video card. I imagine your current board has on-board sound (it sounds like it has on-board video too from your desc.), but most MB's come w/ on-board sound & NIC.

[quote name='argyle']E-Machine, huh? You'll probably need a new case/power supply too if you swap boards. I seriously doubt a E-Machine case will hold a standard board. You're looking at an extra $50-$75 or so, acording to where you go, but it will be worth it in the end. You should be able to use all your drives & your memory, so you're looking at a new MB, CPU, and video card. I imagine your current board has on-board sound (it sounds like it has on-board video too from your desc.), but most MB's come w/ on-board sound & NIC.[/quote]

My computer has Realtek AC97, whatever that means lol. And it is a full size tower. Its got some good room in there.

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']Do you guys think I should get a new mobo and CPU? Cause I am looking at them, and they arent that expensive. i am thinking of switching to an AMD 64 processor, so it might be in my best interest, no?[/quote]

I would totally get a new mobo and a 64 bit AMD. Kaijufan has an AMD 64 bit system and it is a beast! Its well worth the money to step up. I also use an emachines, and if i had te cash id get rid of it in a second!

[quote name='tornadomann'][quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']Do you guys think I should get a new mobo and CPU? Cause I am looking at them, and they arent that expensive. i am thinking of switching to an AMD 64 processor, so it might be in my best interest, no?[/quote]

I would totally get a new mobo and a 64 bit AMD. Kaijufan has an AMD 64 bit system and it is a beast! Its well worth the money to step up. I also use an emachines, and if i had te cash id get rid of it in a second![/quote]

Well, when I get some money, this is what I've setled on:

ASUS "K8V SE Deluxe" K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU -RETAIL
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-490&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE

AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 512k L2 Cache, The Only 64-bit Windows Compatible Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-483&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600XT Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "100575-RED" -BULK -OEM
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-450&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE

Do you guys think those are good components? I put them in my cart, and it comes to $460.98 before tax.

Morbid: those are some great choices for parts. That Asus motherboard looks like it is damn sweet. the 9600 Saphire card is decent for a mid-priced card. this should be a nice jump up from an emachines!

Thanks! Moxio helped me out on AIM. Thanks all! when I get the money, this shit is getting bought , and I am souping the fuck ot of my compy!

[quote name='tornadomann']Morbid: those are some great choices for parts. That Asus motherboard looks like it is damn sweet. the 9600 Saphire card is decent for a mid-priced card. this should be a nice jump up from an emachines![/quote]

Wow... I almost bought that motherboard. Asus has always been great for anything I've used from them. My dad recently built a new rig from an Asus barebones.. and it's a very solid PC. I'm trying to hold out for PCI Express for my next MB, but it's getting harder to do so.

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life'][quote name='argyle']E-Machine, huh? You'll probably need a new case/power supply too if you swap boards. I seriously doubt a E-Machine case will hold a standard board. You're looking at an extra $50-$75 or so, acording to where you go, but it will be worth it in the end. You should be able to use all your drives & your memory, so you're looking at a new MB, CPU, and video card. I imagine your current board has on-board sound (it sounds like it has on-board video too from your desc.), but most MB's come w/ on-board sound & NIC.[/quote]

My computer has Realtek AC97, whatever that means lol. And it is a full size tower. Its got some good room in there.[/quote]

Well, it's not a matter of space. It all depends on if they made the case to accomodate a standard board - the port cut-outs, etc. It might, but you just want to make sure before you spend the money. A lot of name-brand computers make their cases specifically so you can't replace the MB.

[quote name='argyle'][quote name='MorbidAngel4Life'][quote name='argyle']E-Machine, huh? You'll probably need a new case/power supply too if you swap boards. I seriously doubt a E-Machine case will hold a standard board. You're looking at an extra $50-$75 or so, acording to where you go, but it will be worth it in the end. You should be able to use all your drives & your memory, so you're looking at a new MB, CPU, and video card. I imagine your current board has on-board sound (it sounds like it has on-board video too from your desc.), but most MB's come w/ on-board sound & NIC.[/quote]

My computer has Realtek AC97, whatever that means lol. And it is a full size tower. Its got some good room in there.[/quote]

Well, it's not a matter of space. It all depends on if they made the case to accomodate a standard board - the port cut-outs, etc. It might, but you just want to make sure before you spend the money. A lot of name-brand computers make their cases specifically so you can't replace the MB.[/quote]

Well then I will just have to get a new case. Simple as that!

bread's done
Back