STALKER shadow of Chernobyl

I remember being interested in it. I'll definitely check out the demo (or wait for a new computer, if need be).

I forgot all about this game...must've been at least a year since I last read about it...I might get it depending on reviews.

I read about it on Gamespy last year when they had a preview. It sounds pretty good. Maybe I'll pick it up if it gets good reviews.

I just pre ordered this from gogamer.com for $38 and some odd change, great price for a brand new game, no?

I have high expectations for this, the multiplayer beta is also very fun. I'm psyched.

[quote name='Metal Boss']I just pre ordered this from gogamer.com for $38 and some odd change, great price for a brand new game, no?

I have high expectations for this, the multiplayer beta is also very fun. I'm psyched.[/QUOTE]
Where can you get the beta from? I tried googling it and found a page for it on fileplanet but the download button doesn't seem to work.

EDIT
Just realized after I press the download button I get a page with black text on a black background reading:

Welcome THQ beta invites. In order for us to authenticate your beta password and assign you a game key, we need you to log into your FilePlanet account.

Don't have an account? Click the button below to register.

Registration is free. We will not share your information without
your consent, and you will not receive promotional emails
unless you choose to.

Guess you have to get an invite.

Apparently the this game is huge. I think GameInformer said its even bigger than Oblivion.

Depending on how the game turns out i may have to buy.

[quote name='whoknows']Apparently the this game is huge. I think GameInformer said its even bigger than Oblivion.

Depending on how the game turns out i may have to buy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm waiting for the reviews simply because you never can tell how something is going to turn out after this much development time (it took far too long)... I'm leaning towards thinking that this'll be incredible though... so hopefully.

This is one of the games I am going to look at my PC and then whine because I know it will run like shit.

hopefully it turns out to be the experience it has set itself up to be. I really want this to be a killer app.

I'm on the rocks with STALKER. On one hand, the premise is good. But on the other, if you watch the trailer, you can see that the X-Ray engine is starting to show its age. It looks like the game can't decide whether it is from 2003, or 2007, which I'm sure is due to the prolonged development.

I'll be waiting for the initial reviews before I bite, as it looks like it's going to be a huge hit or miss.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']This is one of the games I am going to look at my PC and then whine because I know it will run like shit.

hopefully it turns out to be the experience it has set itself up to be. I really want this to be a killer app.[/quote]

you might be surprised, this multiplayer beta runs very well on my aging pc.

[quote name='Metal Boss']you might be surprised, this multiplayer beta runs very well on my aging pc.[/QUOTE]

I have a 2.4 p4 so I doubt that it would run decent. Everything else is pretty good though (x800xt, 1.75 gigs of ram, etc).

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I have a 2.4 p4 so I doubt that it would run decent. Everything else is pretty good though (x800xt, 1.75 gigs of ram, etc).[/quote]

my pc is

AMD x2 2.0ghz

nvidia 6800gs

1gb of ram

and I'm finding that the multiplayer beta runs very smooth even for me. So it should run great on your rig.

The world is supposed to be fairly large though which makes me think that indoors it would run nice, but once you go out into the zones that the game might start to chug. Hopefully they release a demo to showcase the game, as I would probably buy this if it ran alright. A 40 hour FPS with an expansive world is right up my alley.

Some nice folks over at oblivion lost have a thread about unlocking DX9 features in the beta demo, i went ahead and gave it a shot, and while it dropped my FPS to around 10 in heavily lighted areas, I was very surprised that it was even performing that well on max with DX9 features, not to mention it looks absolutely gorgeous.

some screens of DX9 on the multiplayer beta here.
http://forum.v5g.de/showthread.php?t=7498

I recently built a Conroe rig to play Crysis, so went out and I have pre-ordered this the other day, while i was at the Mall to watch, 300.

I hear its 30 square KM of terrain to traverse. If true, thats bigger then Oblivion. I cant wait ;), I would much rather play with guns, then swords.

[quote name='Dio69']I recently built a Conroe rig to play Crysis, so went out and I have pre-ordered this the other day, while i was at the Mall to watch, 300.

I hear its 30 square KM of terrain to traverse. If true, thats bigger then Oblivion. I cant wait ;), I would much rather play with guns, then swords.[/quote]

Oblivion was 16 square miles, not KMs. Oblivion is still much bigger.

[quote name='thespillcanvas']Oblivion was 16 square miles, not KMs. Oblivion is still much bigger.[/quote]

Different sizes to serve different purposes

I.E. in Oblivion, wandering aimlessly across a vast boring expanse of randomly generated dungeons and spawned creatures, leveled to suit you. :lol: Alright I won't be too harsh on oblivion, I did have some fun with it but I would say these two games probably aren't as comparable as some people might think.

Also, I don't get the complaints about the graphics in STALKER, I think the game looks tops, this game's got an incredible lighting engine, I would say the shadows are comparable to Doom3 , but can be used in wide open outdoor settings. great atmosphere as well, and no two buildings are the same. As long as it runs well, the multiplayer beta runs excellent for me & loads very quickly, I hope that translates to the single player.

[quote name='Malik112099']yeah iwant this game...i will prolly D/L it a week after it comes out and gets ripped/packed[/quote]

You prolly should buy it.

From what I've read online, PC Gamer UK gave it a 87%.

Does anyone know how well Target does at putting out new PC game releases? I was hoping to get it there for the advertised $34.88, but if it means I'll be waiting several days then I'll just bite the bullet and pay $5 more for it somewhere else.

[quote name='A7las']From what I've read online, PC Gamer UK gave it a 87%.

Does anyone know how well Target does at putting out new PC game releases? I was hoping to get it there for the advertised $34.88, but if it means I'll be waiting several days then I'll just bite the bullet and pay $5 more for it somewhere else.[/QUOTE]

Just price match Target's ad to a different store, that's what I'm doing.

[quote name='Roufuss']Just price match Target's ad to a different store, that's what I'm doing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I was planning on doing too, but I think Target's ad might say that they will have it in stock on 3/22. I was afraid the other store would give me a hard time because of the date.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to find out in a few days.

Just an FYI, this will be $29.99 at Circuit City the week of the 25th... I'll just buy it there this week, and price adjust the next.

I wish they'd release a demo so that I can see how it runs on my macbook pro under bootcamp. If it runs well enough, I'll buy it.

DAMN YOU VISTA! I really hope that I get the lesser side of errors on my system or I might just install XP again with a dual boot unless the patch comes out quickly.

Also I am DLing right now so as soon as I play it I will write a review for it.

So S.T.A.L.K.E.R came out today, Did anyone get it? If so would use please enlighten us on how it works. I really want this game but I am afraid that it won't work on my Vista rig which would annoy the hell out of me. Also unfortunately I wasn't able to get my copy today but I will get it tommorow and then be able to play it friday.

wow this game runs like ass on my PC.... I guess it's time to upgrade. I was trying it on EVERYthing min settings and resolution 1280x720, still choppy................ eck!

3.2Ghz P4 and 1 GB ram and a Geforce 6800....

[quote name='Malik112099']i am going to download this tomorrow.....currently downloading 300[/QUOTE]

And trying (Very much trying as witnessed by your many attempts to let us know how you're downloading) to brag about illegal downloading is some stupid shit. go kill yourself.

[quote name='Zoglog']wow this game runs like ass on my PC.... I guess it's time to upgrade. I was trying it on EVERYthing min settings and resolution 1280x720, still choppy................ eck!

3.2Ghz P4 and 1 GB ram and a Geforce 6800....

And trying (Very much trying as witnessed by your many attempts to let us know how you're downloading) to brag about illegal downloading is some stupid shit. go kill yourself.[/quote]

meh..not bragging..a TON of people do this...just giving the reason why i wasnt currently D/Ling this game...anyways......hopefully it runs good on my dual core 2.8G 1g ram and 265mb radeon card.....

if its a good game ill buy it once it hits the under $9.99 bin at my local game store ;)

[quote name='Zoglog']wow this game runs like ass on my PC.... I guess it's time to upgrade. I was trying it on EVERYthing min settings and resolution 1280x720, still choppy................ eck!

3.2Ghz P4 and 1 GB ram and a Geforce 6800....[/QUOTE]Damn, really?
Looks like I'll be waiting until I get an E6600 then, because I have a 3 GHz P4 w/ HT, 2 Gb RAM, a 6800 (although I did overclock it a bit), and a WS 1440x900 monitor.

[quote name='LiquidNight']Damn, really?
Looks like I'll be waiting until I get an E6600 then, because I have a 3 GHz P4 w/ HT, 2 Gb RAM, a 6800 (although I did overclock it a bit), and a WS 1440x900 monitor.[/QUOTE]

yeah same here. This game seems a tad appealing with the rpg/fps aspect I played through in the beginning with an open lookin world like oblivion. I'm planning on upgrading for Crysis so this game will probably be playable for me by then.

I will try the lighting thing Canvas, but I have a feeling this game was just coded horribly. I mean in the intro FMV I got some stuttering which is very strange.

I'm having trouble running this even on medium settings. I have a 7600 GT 256, which runs Oblivion and Fear fine, and it still skip frames on medium settings. I have to turn to default resolution and low/none lighting effects. I think the problem lies mostly with the amount of RAM I have (1 GB). I would upgrade, but it costs a pretty penny that I don't have.

Gameplay wise, it's pretty fun. The various sidequests are great to the gameplay. However, I would advise not to take too many sidequests at once since you have only one day to finish the quests for most quests. Just note there are still some bugs to be worked out in the game for various quests.

When I get back from spring break next week, I may switch video cards (7900 GT) with my housemate to see whether that'll run better.

If it was last year before xmas I would've been really happy about this but PC just isn't all that appealling anymore. About time they release this game.

bread's done
Back