Best Import-Only GBA Games List

SubjectNameHere

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (100%)
I'm rounding out my GBA collection and wanted some thoughts from other GBA collectors.

I have a few already but I just started the import side of the collection.

Games Recommended:

Domo-Kun no Fushigi Terebi
Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting
Legend of Stafi
Legend of Stafi 2
Legend of Stafi 3
Rhythm Tengoku
Steel Empire
Bobobo-bo bo-bobo Hajike Wars
Pinky Monkey Town
Bit Generations
Kuru Kuru Kururin

Just ordered my first GBA import yesterday, matter of fact. And it was a Bit Generations game - Dotstream to be exact.

Dotstream and Orbital seem to be the better Bit Generations games, but they're probably all worth it for as relatively cheap as they are. If I didn't get bored of puzzle games in a week I'd look into Coloris and Dialhex as well.

#-o I didn't forget Bit Generations really. I have had them 'saved for later' at my favorite import etailer but they're out of stock on two of them and I'm waitin'. Tax refund is due Tuesday and I plan on wiping those out as well as a few choice import PS2 games I've missed.

Any others?

Man.

What is with Nintendo and not releasing awesome portable games over here? Their consoles don't generally have this issue (outside of a few....GIVE ME SIN AN PUNISHMENT ALREADY), but damn do their portables get this issue a lot.

IGN's look at Bit Generations in particular made a good point about why those likely won't see a release stateside (even though they're rated by the ESRB).

The big question: will these games ever see a release on these shores? We'll be so bold as to say: don't count on it. Nintendo of America is far, far too involved in the success of the Nintendo DS to confuse the market with the release of these overly simplistic GBA games. Nintendo has already received the ESRB rating for each of these games, which has been given the official series name of Digilux, but that's no guarantee that they'll ever rear their heads in the states. We're realists: these games are simple designs with visuals that don't exactly "wow" gamers, and these are original branded products with no familiar names or characters to attract customers to purchase them. And new GBA games retail for 20 bucks at the cheapest - and for that amount, Grandma would rather pick up a Spongebob title or even the Mario games that have recently hit the Player's Choice line-up.
Emphasis mine.

First part: http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/720/720397p1.html
Second part: http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/723/723008p1.html

Botticus.

Shut up.

Why must you ruin my perceptions that Japan is made of chocolate NES systems, where Nintendo uses magic to make video games, which they then send over to America, but we don't get them because a horrible horde of trolls stops their shipments, which is why I don't get Bit Generations? It's because Nintendo needs to mine more gold and wood to upgrade their archers! THAT'S the real reason I am not cherishing such goodness.

But NO. You had to tell me it was a money issue. Pah! I don't need this.

[quote name='Strell']Botticus.

Shut up.

Why must you ruin my perceptions that Japan is made of chocolate NES systems, where Nintendo uses magic to make video games, which they then send over to America, but we don't get them because a horrible horde of trolls stops their shipments, which is why I don't get Bit Generations? It's because Nintendo needs to mine more gold and wood to upgrade their archers! THAT'S the real reason I am not cherishing such goodness.

But NO. You had to tell me it was a money issue. Pah! I don't need this.[/quote]:rofl: But I do love Warcraft.

daroga's theory isn't a horribly unrealistic one.

Nintendo should at least give the Bit Generations games the Electroplankton treatment and release them on the website, and in the World Store which just so happens to be down the damn street from me! lol

If you like wrestling games at all, I highly recommend Fire Prowrestling 2. The japanese release is 10x better than the US release. But admittedly, this is a product for fans of japanese wrestling first and formost.

[quote name='foundation']Seriously? I'm a huge Starfish fan so I'd get it on principle, but is it good or notoriously bad and I'm the victim of a wicked ruse?[/quote]

Honestly the title’s an acquired taste. It’s one part Animal Crossing, one part Clubhouse Games, one part LSD.

Essentially - and you’ll have to take my analysis with a grain if salt as I can’t read any of the in-game text - the game breaks down as follows:

-You choose one of two monkeys; a pink monkey (obviously Pinky Monkey) and a white monkey (whom I have elected to call Honky Monkey).
-You then take your monkey to town to gamble for candy. I’m not making this part up. Your monkey gambles. For candy.
-You may then trade in said candy-money at local retailers for home furnishings with which to customize your humble monkey abode.
-That’s pretty much it.

I picked this little jewel up for twenty bones shipped from Lik-Sang years ago. I honestly couldn’t say no to a game about gambling monkeys. I’d imagine your average user would give it a 5 on principle, but it’s an easy 7-7.5 for me based purely on its surreal qualities and serviceable poker elements. If you’re the adventurous/eccentric sort and you can find it cheap, it’s definitely an interesting addition to your GBA catalogue.

On a related note, the original Japanese Super Robot Wars titles are a nice investment, if you like licensed mechs and turn-based strategy.

Rhythm Tengoku looks awesome!!

I've been wanting it for a long time,

and I will finally purchase it now thanks to the $15 paypal rebate.

check out the video:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlRN3fepvkc[/media]

[quote name='foundation']Are we sure it's any vendor that accepts PayPal? If so, I'm definitely using it on import games.[/quote]Yes. Now I just need to decide on YesAsia or Play-Asia, since I'm making coupon-funded purchases at both. :D

[quote name='botticus']Yes. Now I just need to decide on YesAsia or Play-Asia, since I'm making coupon-funded purchases at both. :D[/QUOTE]

I was gonna PM you about this.

Seems like you could snag 2 BG games for about 37, get free shipping, and then get 15 back, making it 22 for two, aye?

That actually takes the sting out of not getting them at PA.

[quote name='Strell']I was gonna PM you about this.

Seems like you could snag 2 BG games for about 37, get free shipping, and then get 15 back, making it 22 for two, aye?

That actually takes the sting out of not getting them at PA.[/quote]Correct sir. I'm ordering a combination of Orbital, Rhythm Tengoku, Ouendan, and the Daigasso expansion, just haven't figured out which place to buy them from yet.

[quote name='botticus']Yes. Now I just need to decide on YesAsia or Play-Asia, since I'm making coupon-funded purchases at both. :D[/quote]

Im going with Play-Asia cos I still have one of their $5 off coupons. Add the paypal $15 back and its a nobrainer. Now what to get?

Ordered Dotstream and Digidrive today. Will order more from Yesasia tomorrow and the rest from Play-Asia after that. How do y'all get coupons for Play-Asia? I'm subscribed, shop there all the time, etc., but don't get codes from them.

[quote name='foundation']Ordered Dotstream and Digidrive today. Will order more from Yesasia tomorrow and the rest from Play-Asia after that. How do y'all get coupons for Play-Asia? I'm subscribed, shop there all the time, etc., but don't get codes from them.[/QUOTE]

You should get a $5 off $50 coupon with every order. You can also get a $10 off $50 coupon by posting on these forums:
http://www.strikebang.com/announcement.php?f=39

I think botticus determined in the other thread that the rebate wouldn't apply, because Play-Asia and YesAsia aren't based in the US (which is a restriction on the rebate).

the website says:

"Shop online anywhere Paypal is accepted in the US and Canada"

play-asia accepts paypal in the US, so I'm gonna take my chances.

plus, I got that $20 rebate last time, and the only place other than ebay I used paypal at was play-asia,

and that time I believe ebay was not eligible

I want the mother series

and a port of live a live

LiveALiveBoxArt.jpg

F-Zero Climax is excellent and has a very good track editor with room on the cart to save quite a few.

The Kururin games are my favorite. Nonono something is also pretty weird and fun.

[quote name='Nephilim']F-Zero Climax is excellent and has a very good track editor with room on the cart to save quite a few.

The Kururin games are my favorite. Nonono something is also pretty weird and fun.[/quote]

That would be Nonono Puzzle Chai-rian.

I would cautiously recommend it. It's weird and fun, but I have some reservations.

There seem to be 3 games in it, each with variations.

The first is a microwave cooking minigame. You have to shuffle things around in the microwave in order for it to cook correctly. This one for me is ruined because once you make a mistake, you start over. All the way at the beginning.

Then there's the blob-with-legs walking game. Your blob continues to walk forward, and you have to position tiles in front of it so that it always has something to walk on. You can make it run over certain hazards.

I *really* want to like it, but it seems to be easy for most of the game until it throws extremely difficult and even unfair curveballs at you. I'm a little hesitant to call it unfair -- it could be my lack of ability -- but I think its the game.

Finally, there's the number block puzzles. I quite like this. Figuring out the puzzle mode for this took a little while, but once I got it going it was fun.

[quote name='Nephilim']F-Zero Climax is excellent and has a very good track editor with room on the cart to save quite a few.

The Kururin games are my favorite. Nonono something is also pretty weird and fun.[/QUOTE]

I noticed F-Zero and the Kururin games are now out of stock pretty much everywhere.. any ideas on where to look at this point outside of eBay?

[quote name='DJPUN']I want the mother series

and a port of live a live

LiveALiveBoxArt.jpg
[/QUOTE]they have a translated patch for that game,

I was playing it on my PSP!!! haha.

anyway my Rhythm Tengoku shipped from p-a today!!

I can't wait to get my paypal rebate back,

then I can nay-say all u guys who don't think it will work!!!

I've been playing Rhythm Tengoku this week and it's so fun.. it's like a beat based Warioware in one mode, drum sim in another, and a pseudo-brain trainer on another. Great game so far!

[quote name='foundation']I noticed F-Zero and the Kururin games are now out of stock pretty much everywhere.. any ideas on where to look at this point outside of eBay?[/QUOTE]

I got F-Zero Climax from Play-Asia years ago. The first Kururin game was hell to find as I wanted the European version to get English. I eventually found one from a post at TGN in the chat as the game was not even listed there. Kururin Paradise the sequel is only in Japan and I cannot seem to find that either, sorry.

bread's done
Back