Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - OUT NOW - Trophy Patch Released!

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
A 400-year-old clue in the coffin of Sir Francis Drake sets a modern-day fortune hunter on a exploration for the fabled treasure of El Dorado, leading to the discovery of a forgotten island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

The search turns deadly when Nathan Drake becomes stranded on the island and hunted by mercenaries. Outnumbered and outgunned, Drake and his companions must fight to survive as they begin to unravel the terrible secrets hidden on the Island.

GAME FEATURES
  • Using maps and ancient artifacts, uncover clues and unravel mysteries to find a forgotten island and a treasure that was thought to have never existed.
  • Explore exotic locations. Traverse through living jungles and spectacular 400-year-old ruins.
  • Drake’s companions and allies play an important role in the adventure through cooperative mechanics, gun play and exploration.
  • Experience fast-paced gunplay: use a variety of environmental elements for cover, shoot enemies off of moving vehicles in high speed chases and more.
  • Use an array of hand-to-hand fighting moves to put your enemy off balance. Anything from wild haymaker punches to running drop-kicks.
Reviews
IGN - 9.1
GameSpy - 4.5/5
GI - 8.75 (9 Second Opinion)
1up - 8.5
EGM - 8.5

Demo
The demo's out now on the PS Store, at 1.2 GBs, and show's about 15 minutes of gameplay, mostly gunplay with some platforming in between.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Yeah, this game looks awesome. It's pretty much Indiana Jones Game that won't suck.[/QUOTE]
The last Indiana Jones game was awesome...idk what you're talking about.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']It's only the first 4 pics in that link. The rest are from the E3 trailer.[/quote]
Yeah, I could tell they were from the trailer.
The playfrance logo in the corner threw me off. Maybe new screens from the old trailer.

[quote name='neocisco']I don't need to see the shots. It's Naughty Dog. I'm in.[/QUOTE]QFT. I'll be buying this game because NDI has never let me down. :)

The next Game Informer (Aprial issue) is going to have more details on this game. Here is the cover:

03cov_168_lres2.jpg

From GI:
-Release is "winter 2007"
-single player only it seems
-They want an emotional story, and so far there's fifty minutes of cinematics.
-They have an awesome animation scheme that allows for over 1,200 different unique ways of doings things like taking cover. There's nine screens of Drake taking cover behind a pillar...all of them completely different stances. Freaking awesome. (the final game will have 3,000)
-Sixaxis allows for some tilting moments, like crossing a narrow log and balancing, Kratos-style.
-More on the unique animations: if Drake is running across an open field, he will visibly become more and more out of breath, his entire body shaking if he runs enough. His face will show all these emotions as well.
-Soundtrack is also dynamic
-Graphics are really, really good looking. I can't imagine how this thing is gonna look in real time...crazy.
-Everything in the jungle shifts and sways, with dynamic shadowing, and high-dynamic range lighting.

Long Version
While much of the article explains how great the story will be while not actually getting into details, the opening paragraph gives us a nice clue:

"Sir Francis Drake had a wealth of titles to his name by the time he died at sea in the winter of 1596. To his English Countrymen, he was a hero...an explorer who circumnavigated the globe, a sea captain who sunk dozens of ships in the Spanish Armada, and a knight by Queen Elizabeth's own hand. To his enemies, he was the worst sort of villain...a marauder that heartlessly destroyed their ports and colonies, a pirate that ceaselessly stole their chests of gold, spices and jewels. Whatever people called him, his infamous adventuring career came to an end when his body was tipped over the side of his ship off the coast of Panama some 400 years ago. But what if that lead coffin held no body? What if there was instead a mysterious book that hinted at his last great adventure? What if you found that book?"

The Audio Director speaks: "If I could have a metric for how well the game is doing sound-wise, it would be how far I can get through this game with my eyes closed."

While vehicles aren't a main focus in the game, they'll be there. One concept screen shows a jeep with you in the turret seat, another level has you piloting a jetski navigating submerged buildings and looking for clues. Still another has white-water rapids in another chase scene.

Naughty Dog (paraphrasing here): "With PS1, we had to go very simplistic...cartoonish. With PS2, we could take it up a notch with Jak but not quite human yet. With the PS3, we can finally do full-on human gaming while taking all of our great gameplay from past games we've done into this."

All cinematics are motion-captured with a director on the set...it's like a real movie (a la Heavenly Sword).

You won't be alone, as the girl in the mag cover shows (like Half-Life 2 in a way).

GI sums up the game: It's Die Hard meets Indiana Jones, with gameplay that goes back to Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider and gun segments like Gears of War. Ultimately however, it's a new genre that's unclassifiable at this point.

Oh, and graphics are Blue Steel, but will be Magnum in videos and when it comes out much later in the year for sure.

Here's the part where GI gets some hands on time with the game:

"Control of the action was in our hands in the level that followed. Nathan finds himself in a stunning moss-covered forest, with a streaming waterfall nearby. Climbing the rocks, we ascended up out of the basin. A wide gap between the cliffs above required a wild leap to the opposing ledge. Barely grasping the far edge, Nathan banged hard against the hard rock wall, knocking his breath away before we pulled up and over onto the far side.

A downed tree in the next area served to illustrate one of the game's uses of the Sixaxis controller. As we walked Nathan across the narrow beam, we controlled his balance by twisting the controller from side to side, which unsurprisingly resulted in him tumbling belly first onto the log before we managed to inch him across.

Once there, we heard the shouted arrival of enemy pirates, soon to be followed by whizzing bullets. As Nathan instinctively ducked, we ran him for cover behind a nearby boulder. Leaning out amid heavy returning fire, a few wild shots from Nathan's pistol dropped his foes, and we ran forward to a hanging vine to continue our climb.

Next, we saw the first signs of the strange, misplaced Spanish ruins of the island as more scruffy pirates arrived to attack us. Diving from rock to tree amid a hail of gunfire, we occasionally scurried aside at the sound of a grenade dropping by our feet.

Standing still for very long is almost never an option, as enemies are constantly flanking for a better position. With another wave of pirates defeated, we platformed from one ruined Spanish wall to another to reach an ancient metal grate. A button press event sent it spinning off its rusted hinges, and beyond, another troop of pirates poured over an old wall as the music swelled into high gear."

Ugh! I cant wait for this fucking game.

I am an ANIMATION/TECH DEMO/GRAPHIC WHORE freak. Good animations seriously make me come... (As you can see AC is in my sig.)

Thats what im doing for my Career, ive been working towards it my whole life, studying the fields taking classes. I definetally am going to be an animator/modeler/texture artist in the future. And eventually a game designer.

Ill come to CAG when I finish my first game.

Whatever happened to that game Sony showed with this where you were out at a desert cafe having a shootout? That was the most impressive demo of Sony's original ones, and I'd love to see that game soon.

This one too, of course. :)

[quote name='elwood731']Whatever happened to that game Sony showed with this where you were out at a desert cafe having a shootout? That was the most impressive demo of Sony's original ones, and I'd love to see that game soon.

This one too, of course. :)[/quote]

Eight days? Nothing since then.

I got the mag the other day and it's quite a good read, here's some of the info in it:

They mostly talk about how they're influenced by many action and adventure movies like Indiana Jones and Die Hard. That's the approach they're taking throughout the whole game (cinematics, gameplay, story, etc.) Nathan Drake thinks he's the descendant of Sir Francis Drake, which is his main motivation to do all of this. Elena is filming a documentary about Nathan's quest and I'm betting they fall in love, as any action movie would tell you. She's also there to be a way to help the story move gamers, like in Half-Life 2: Episode 1 or like in Shadow of the Colossus with the horse. There's also Victor Sullivan, a veteran adventurer that is also Nathan's mentor, who I'll guess will die somewhere along the way to save Nathan and Elena to make this an even more personal affair for Nathan. :lol: I hope that they don't follow the action movie cliches too closely.

The game starts off with Nathan and Elena on a salvage ship when they finally uncover the lead coffin of Sir F. Drake, but instead of remains, they find a journal which possibly leads to his final adventure. Before they know it, pirates are attacking the ship. overwhelming Nathan and Elena in a predicament that they know they can't win. Sullivan shows up with his sea plane to rescue the two as they head off quickly to safety.

They're really working hard on unique animations, which Nathan currently has 1200 of them. ND plans to get to 3000 when all's said and done. For reference, Jak had roughly 200 in his PS2 games. There's a series of picutres showing off several of the unique animations for just one scenario (Nathan leaning against a pillar for cover with a gun in his hand(s)).

This and Ratchet & Clank Future have me so excited for the fall and winter. Plus, we still haven't heard what Sucker Punch's next game will be.

Thanks for writing that up, can't wait for it to get here so I can read too.

But did you really have to compair Elena to a horse? :) Sounds like she might be like female character in R:FoM who kind of guides the story.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Thanks for writing that up, can't wait for it to get here so I can read too.

But did you really have to compair Elena to a horse? :) Sounds like she might be like female character in R:FoM who kind of guides the story.[/quote]
I didn't make the comparison, GI did. :lol:

I just got my Game-Informer.

Game looks so great.

I cant wait for it...

Thanks for writing that up, can't wait for it to get here so I can read too.

But did you really have to compair Elena to a horse? :) Sounds like she might be like female character in R:FoM who kind of guides the story.
Are you kidding me? The bond you make with your horse in SotC is pretty intense.
I was definetally upset when you jump the broken bridge and at the last step the horse tumbles down and you just make it. My GF was really sad.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']
Are you kidding me? The bond you make with your horse in SotC is pretty intense.
I was definetally upset when you jump the broken bridge and at the last step the horse tumbles down and you just make it. My GF was really sad.
[/QUOTE]
Doesn't
Agro actually throw wanderer towards the edge so he can make it? Thats how I remember it anyways.

[quote name='whoknows']Doesn't
Agro actually throw wanderer towards the edge so he can make it? Thats how I remember it anyways.
[/quote]

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRjJqWp8hIM[/MEDIA]

[quote name='whoknows']Doesn't
[/quote]

Wow....
Thats even more sad and horrible.... :cry::cry::cry:

I'm not clicking any of those! I just finished Ico and am working through Shadow now. :) Got my mag today, can't wait to see what other details I can find.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I'm not clicking any of those! I just finished Ico and am working through Shadow now. :) Got my mag today, can't wait to see what other details I can find.[/quote]
Yeah, don't touch them unless you've beaten the game.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I'm not clicking any of those! I just finished Ico and am working through Shadow now. :) Got my mag today, can't wait to see what other details I can find.[/quote]

Oh... well than...

Nam Paehc wets his bed! Hehe! Thats what his momma told me...

The tilting features I re-read about in the magazine seem interesting. There is some part where you need to balance Drake as he crosses a fallen log. Hope there is more stuff like that in the game. Little things add to the experiance over all I think.

Yea, the little things are always most important to me.

Espeically the fact that this game might not have a UI at all. (See my UI rant for full reasoning) And that would be grand.

[quote name='dallow']New video.
Amazing.

http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/video-exclu-1-la-grande-aventure-video-39263.html[/quote]
that site is so amazingly slow.

the vid looks cool though. the game really reminds me of the old game "FLASHBACK" not sure if any1 remembers it. the way the char moves & the setting.

when walking across the logs and balancing im guessing that makes use of the sixaxis. i hope its not that exaggerated though and they were making him fall on purpose, because that would be really annoying if it happened as often.

[quote name='propeller_head']that site is so amazingly slow.

the vid looks cool though. the game really reminds me of the old game "FLASHBACK" not sure if any1 remembers it. the way the char moves & the setting.

when walking across the logs and balancing im guessing that makes use of the sixaxis. i hope its not that exaggerated though and they were making him fall on purpose, because that would be really annoying if it happened as often.[/quote] I rememeber Flashback with that silky smooth animation going on.

Yeah, I doubt the log walking will be as bad as that.
I can link you with the direct video file.

ftp://jvfrvisiteur435:[email protected]_1_-_la_grande_aventure_anglais_39263.mov

thanks but already finished watching it. took about 15 mins to load it though.

another thing i hope they improve on is the aiming of the pistol. thats the major thing thats botthered me about some PS shooter type games is the speed at which it seems to change moving the stick a little barely moves the crosshairs, but move it a little more and they move too fast. they need to trasition it better. or create a system where the closer you get to the target your aiming for (head, chest, arm, leg, etc.. if it registers each differently) the crosshairs slow down and dont zoom by like a methhead putting on the green.

Jeeze, it streamed instantly for me... (crappy DSL line too)

They've got plenty of time for tweaking.
I do hope for the move fast, then slow method, I like that.

bread's done
Back