360 gets Dragon's Lair in 1080p on HD-DVD

propeller_head

CAGiversary!
hddvd_pageTitle.jpg

http://www.digitalleisure.com/contents/HDDVDVideo_games.htm

http://www.digitalleisure.com/contents/pressRelease/press_061107.htm
Dragon's Lair Unveiled as First 1080p Game for Microsoft Xbox 360 HD DVD Player

GORMLEY, Ontario , Canada ( November 7, 2006 ) — Classic arcade gamers are in for a treat with the release of Dragon's Lair for the first time in 1080p high definition on the next generation HD DVD format. Dirk the Daring has visited many gaming systems over the years but with this first ever direct film transfer, he has never looked so good.
Dragon's Lair was first introduced in the arcades in 1983 and its laser disc video quality and Don Bluth animation made it an instant smash hit. Now, Digital Leisure and authoring studio Infinite HD Inc. have systematically gone through frame by frame and digitally restored this beloved classic arcade game to full True HD film quality.
“I've seen the newly restored footage and it just looks amazing” says Don Bluth, original creator of Dragon's Lair. “It looks even better than I can remember. The visuals, the 5.1 surround sound audio, all I can say is ‘Wow!' Now a whole new generation can enjoy Dragon's Lair all over again.”
All special features on the disc are in full 1080p HD including new interviews with creators Don Bluth, Gary Goldman and Rick Dyer, and even a full length visual commentary of the game.
Digital Leisure plans to follow up Dragon's Lair HD DVD with the release of Space Ace and Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp in the HD DVD format over the coming months.
Dragon's Lair HD DVD will be available this holiday season at many fine game and movie retailers as well as at www.digitalleisure.com .
Digital Leisure is a leading publisher of interactive video-based titles. The company remasters video-intensive titles that would benefit from the superior video and audio quality of DVD and the newest High Definition formats.
Microsoft and Xbox 360 are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries.
comm1.jpg

DLHD2.jpg

int1.jpg

DLHD4.jpg

DLHD5.jpg

DLHD6.jpg

DLHD7.jpg

DLHD8.jpg

DLHD9.jpg

I just remember losing early and often every time I tried playing this.

Vaaaaaguely remember this from my Childhood (I think it was featured in a games magazine).

How do these play?

Didn't read the article, but if it's like the DVD release, it's not a real 360 game, just an interactive HDDVD that should work on any HD DVD player.

[quote name='LiquidNight']Didn't MS say there would never be games on HD-DVDs?[/QUOTE]

This would sort of be an exception because it's basically a movie that you click the play button at the right time to advance. I think they are probably getting around this because it would probably work in any HD DVD player, but pressing the directional buttons on a regular remote to play it would be a pain, but possible.

Edit - I see this Press release is dated from November, how have we not heard about this till now?

[quote name='getmyrunon']Vaaaaaguely remember this from my Childhood (I think it was featured in a games magazine).

How do these play?[/QUOTE]
Wow do I feel old. Basically Dirk does stuff and you hit a button a certain points to make a sudden turn, duck a trap, swing the sword, etc.

Is this really going to happen, the article is 3 months old.

The space on an HD-DVD isn't really necessary, is it? I can't imagine that the amount of video in this game isn't very long overall.

And, as someone pointed out, it's an HD-DVD game, not really a 360 release.

So this is basically the same thing as when they used to throw a "PlayStation 2 Compatible" sticker onto like any random DVD?

Or that "Mad Dog McCree" thing, I think it tries to pass itself off as a PS2 game but it's actually just a regular DVD. You could just as easily play it on a Xbox 360.

[quote name='mykevermin']The space on an HD-DVD isn't really necessary, is it? I can't imagine that the amount of video in this game isn't very long overall.

And, as someone pointed out, it's an HD-DVD game, not really a 360 release.[/quote]

well they were working w/ MS. its a FMV game. im guessing they just put a little bit of extra effort in to make the 360 controller work well w/ it.

99% chance you can play it on any HD-DVD player, but youre not going to be able to play it w/ the 360 controller.

Games like this were GREAT....about 10-15 years ago. I remember playing this on my PC way back when. Space Ace was the same concept. They will play on any HD-DVD.

i remember there were like 3 versions of the same theme, there was dragon's lair, the one in space, and maybe a sequel to dragons lair, and I am pretty sure they talked about putting 3 on one disk, and now they put one on one disk is pretty cheesy.

also I remember dying so quickly in this game its not even funny

Yeah, I would not call this a big exception to their "no games on the HD-DVD format," you could "play" this with a regular HD-DVD player. but I'm sure that won't stop idiots from screaming their heads off about it.

I'll probably get it if it has a low price. I'll definitely get Space Ace, though.

Yeah, I would not call this a big exception to their "no games on the HD-DVD format," you could "play" this with a regular HD-DVD player. but I'm sure that won't stop idiots from screaming their heads off about it.

I'll probably get it if it has a low price. I'll definitely get Space Ace, though.

What better way to show the viability of HDDVD as a game format than with a game that's absolutely atrocious in every conceivable way.

There is a Windows "Dragon's Lair HD", using WMV. I will say, if you're a fan of the original games, the HD transfer is REALLY amazing to see. If your computer has enough power to play WMV HD files, and you like DL, it's not a bad way to spend $28:
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Leisu..._bbs_1/102-5321041-0236104?ie=UTF8&s=software

The only thing I haven't figured out is how they made it widescreen. I can only assume it's probably been chopped and stretched since I can't imagine the original cels weren't 4:3 aspect ratio. But it still looks amazing. They have some samples at http://digitalleisure.com/contents/DVDRom_games.htm#dlHD

[quote name='propeller_head']well they were working w/ MS. its a FMV game. im guessing they just put a little bit of extra effort in to make the 360 controller work well w/ it.

99% chance you can play it on any HD-DVD player, but youre not going to be able to play it w/ the 360 controller.[/QUOTE]

No, they aren't working with Microsoft. If you look at the press release that ties to the HD-DVD add-on drive, the fine print disavows any endorsement from Microsoft.

This is purely an HD-DVD product relying solely on the HD-DVD spec for interactivity, just as the DVD versions did. Considering how extremely simple the input on Dragon's Lair is they aren't remotely tapping the capabilities of HD-DVD interactivity support. You can do far more complex stuff than this.

Expect to see an almost identical press release regarding the PS3 when they produce a Blu-ray version of this game. Likewise for high-end cellphones. Not because of performance requirements but because of the needed screen quality and storage capacity.

nope. it says they arent part of MS. and its not an officially endorsed MS game. which it isnt because MS has stated there would be no HD-DVD games.

but, they did work w/ them to make it works w/ the 360 controller. read a review of it when it comes out and you'll see.

I bought this game when DVD players were first becoming popular, and I highly recommend WAITING for a review of this "game" when it comes out. The DVD player controls aren't as forgiving as the arcade version(which wasn't forgiving to begin with).

;)

dlhd.jpg

http://www.digitalleisure.com/contents/pressRelease/press_061107.htm

Dragon's Lair Unveiled as First 1080p Game for Microsoft Xbox 360 HD DVD Player

GORMLEY, Ontario , Canada ( November 7, 2006 ) — Classic arcade gamers are in for a treat with the release of Dragon's Lair for the first time in 1080p high definition on the next generation HD DVD format. Dirk the Daring has visited many gaming systems over the years but with this first ever direct film transfer, he has never looked so good.

Dragon's Lair was first introduced in the arcades in 1983 and its laser disc video quality and Don Bluth animation made it an instant smash hit. Now, Digital Leisure and authoring studio Infinite HD Inc. have systematically gone through frame by frame and digitally restored this beloved classic arcade game to full True HD film quality.

“I've seen the newly restored footage and it just looks amazing” says Don Bluth, original creator of Dragon's Lair. “It looks even better than I can remember. The visuals, the 5.1 surround sound audio, all I can say is ‘Wow!' Now a whole new generation can enjoy Dragon's Lair all over again.”

All special features on the disc are in full 1080p HD including new interviews with creators Don Bluth, Gary Goldman and Rick Dyer, and even a full length visual commentary of the game.

Digital Leisure plans to follow up Dragon's Lair HD DVD with the release of Space Ace and Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp in the HD DVD format over the coming months.

Dragon's Lair HD DVD will be available this holiday season at many fine game and movie retailers as well as at www.digitalleisure.com .

Digital Leisure is a leading publisher of interactive video-based titles. The company remasters video-intensive titles that would benefit from the superior video and audio quality of DVD and the newest High Definition formats.

Microsoft and Xbox 360 are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries.

[quote name='propeller_head']nope. it says they arent part of MS. and its not an officially endorsed MS game. which it isnt because MS has stated there would be no HD-DVD games.

but, they did work w/ them to make it works w/ the 360 controller. read a review of it when it comes out and you'll see.[/QUOTE]

Why would they have needed to work with Microsoft on this? Have you ever played Dragon's Lair? It doesn't do ANYTHING that isn't covered by the most rudimentary control input of both DVD and HD-DVD. The reason this is appearing for HD-DVD before Blu-ray is that DVD to HD-DVD ports are extremely straightforward. The HD-DVD design very purposefully works that way. Once they had a 1080p master of the animation footage, they were in business. A Blu-ray product has to built from scratch in terms of the control elements and runs about 20% higher in manufacturing cost.

The idea they would need any special help from Microsoft to assure this works correctly is just silly. The company is doing the same thing they did whenever a DVD playback capable console came out. They touted the purely DVD based Dragon's Lair and its stablemates as being PS2 games with stickers on the boxes declaring it. Then a year later they did the same thing with the Xbox. Digital Leisure has been milking this cow for almost 20 years, since the first Amiga version on a zillion floppies. Because the game is so simplistic in its interactivity it can be ported to almost anything with a decent display and storage capacity, and Digital Leisure has never hesitated to do so.

[quote name='mykevermin']$600 for one game! Awesome!

[/QUOTE]

Yea, the PS3 is pretty awesome.

;)

[quote name='epobirs']WAAAAAAHHHH!!! OMGOMGOMGOMGOGM!! NUH-UHH![/quote]
Carnac.jpg

CARNAC: AAAAAAHHHH!!! OMGOMGOMGOMGOGM!! NUH-UHH!

ED McMAHON: AAAAAAHHHH? OMGOMGOMGOMGOGM? NUH-UHH?

(Carnac rips the envelope open and removes the card)

CARNAC (reading): Describe the sound made when a Sony fanboy reads about a 360 exclusive.

bread's done
Back