Joe Rogan Confronts Carlos Mencia for Stealing Jokes, Sucking

And here's a link to a page where you can DL a section from the Opie and Anthony show where Joe Rogan takes on Dance Cook about stealing jokes.

[quote name='thespillcanvas']:applause:

By the way, Mencia/Comedy Central personally contacted Youtube and told them to remove it, so they've been getting axed quickly. In case this one goes, here's a direct link to a quicktime version.[/QUOTE]

i saw this around 11:30 pm est time last night. they got to it in 1 hour. i think its still also up on his myspace page too. This is just too great.

From Joe Rogan's blog in regards to this situation (in which he was banned from the Comedy Store):

[quote name='JoeRogan.net'] The aftermath of the video of me clowning Carlos Mencia and exposing him for being a joke thief released its havoc on the internet like a tidal wave of exposure and comic justice.
Unfortunately, it also got me banned from the club.

I got a call from Mitzi Shore the owner of the comedy store yesterday, and she wanted to hear my side of things.
I told her what happened on Saturday night with the whole Carlos thing, and she told me that she would try to work it out.
She called me back today to give me a spot tonight at 10pm, and said that Carlos and I would just have to avoid each other around the store.
She asked me what times I wanted to go on stage this weekend, and I said as long as I got on before Carlos I didn’t care. I said thank you, and hung up.
Then I get a call from Tommy the manager of the club an hour later.
He told me that “they” had decided I needed to “take a break” from the store, and that Carlos was physically threatened by me, and worried about me being around.
That, and they’re upset at me for putting the video up on the internet because they had asked me to stop filming my internet reality show “the JoeShow” at the club.
They also said that Carlos apologized for the weekend, and said that they could advertise that he would be performing there this weekend.

Now, I know this isn’t coming from Mitzi, because I had just talked to her an hour before, so I’m assuming it’s her sons that have made the decision to have Carlos there and keep me out.
Mitzi’s health hasn’t been well over the last years, and slowly her sons have assumed the role of taking over the club.
Whether the decision is financial, because they can sell a ton of tickets with Carlos, or whether it’s personal, because Pauly and I have never really liked each other, either way, it is what it is.

It’s also indicative of this massive problem we have in the comedy community in general.
Here you have a club that basically sells other people’s art. They put the chairs there, sell the drinks and turn the mic on, and the artists do the rest. You have a situation where a comic that’s been known for stealing other people material gets called out onstage, exposed, and then the video is put on the internet for all to see, and their reaction is to ban the guy that exposed him and made the video. To the thief, they sit back quietly and profit from his crime.
It’s truly fucking mind blowing.
There’s not another art form in the world where the creative rights of the artist get as little respect.
If they banned the both of us for this incident, then I would understand that they're just trying to avoid conflict, but the fact that they have told me to "take a break" but they have him onstage this weekend is just a tremendous slap in the face to me, and to the art of stand up comedy.

The first thing I did when I got the call, is to phone my friend Rita over at the Improv in Hollywood and ask if I could get on there this weekend. She bent over backwards to accommodate me, and gave me spots for Thursday night at 10, Friday at 8:30, and Saturday at 10. To her, and Joel over there, I say thank you very much. I truly appreciate the support.
If anyone wants to see me this weekend, that’s where I’ll be performing.

If you want to come down and show your support and have a good time, the address for and phone number for the improv is:

323 651 5810
Hollywood Improv
8162 Melrose ave. Hollywood, CA

I’ve been working out at the comedy store now for almost 13 years, and I’ve always wondered when it was all going to end.
The comics have always speculated that when Mitzi dies the sons would probably turn the place into a parking lot. We always used to sit around talking after the show was over, wondering where we would perform in LA when the end came.
The place was even one of the reasons why I still lived in LA. I would go on the road to certain places and think about moving there, but I could never find a club that I could work out at that was anything like the store.
There’s really no place like it. At one point and time it was a mob run nightclub owned by Bugsy Segal, and the building radiates this weird energy from the years of performers, criminals, customers and experiences.
It’s an energy vortex, and a magnet for crazies. That was one of the best things about filming my reality show there, it was just guaranteed that you would get nutty people to talk to there. They’re just drawn to the place, like moths to a light bulb.

The problem is, Mitzi was always the one that kept the place together.
She’s the one with the true love of stand up comedy. She created it, she nurtured it, and she supported the art form.
As she fades, so does the essence of the club. For me at least, this decision by whoever is in charge over there now to have me “take a break” is the last sign I needed to see that the end is nigh.
It’s been a great time, but like all great times it must eventually end.
I think the way it ended, with a video seen by millions of people is just about a perfect way to go. It’s almost fitting that I get banned from there, because it makes no sense.
Nothing about the comedy store has ever made sense.
That was always a part of the beauty of the place.

If you feel like calling them and expressing your disapproval, or perhaps thanking them for banning me, the number there is 323 656 6225 [email protected]

Unfortunately, this is probably the last time you'll see my name on the Marquee there. It's been great!![/quote]

Didnt seem all that great to me.

He came off more whining like a bitch than anything else. Plus that would have pissed me off to be there..to have paid all that money to see someone and then some ass clown hangs on stage the entire time.

fuck Rogan.

I'm pretty sure that happened at the end of Rogan's set, not Mencia's. At least that's what I inferred from watching the video.

I'm going to side with Joe Rogan on this because Mencia is a douche. Even though Joe Rogan shows his maturity level with his "COLLEGE" shirt. :roll:

[quote name='Soodmeg']Didnt seem all that great to me.

He came off more whining like a bitch than anything else. Plus that would have pissed me off to be there..to have paid all that money to see someone and then some ass clown hangs on stage the entire time.

fuck Rogan.[/QUOTE]

I think that was more entertaining than anything Mencia could put on by himself. I wouldnt pay to see Mencia, but if I were there I wouldve been glad that happened.

Joe Rogan > you.

[quote name='musha666']I think that was more entertaining than anything Mencia could put on by himself. I wouldnt pay to see Mencia, but if I were there I wouldve been glad that happened.

Joe Rogan > you.[/quote]
Thats fucking stupid and you know it.

Yeah you wouldnt pay to see mencia but you would pay to see someone else live.

I wouldnt pay to see mencia either but the people there obviously like him enough to pay to see him.

How would you like it if you paid to see your favorite comic/band/show and some ass clown ruins everything with some petty insults.

If rogan wanted to bust menica he could have chosen a better way to do it.

[quote name='musha666']I think that was more entertaining than anything Mencia could put on by himself. I wouldnt pay to see Mencia, but if I were there I wouldve been glad that happened.

Joe Rogan > you.[/quote]
QFT.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I wouldnt pay to see mencia either but the people there obviously like him enough to pay to see him.

How would you like it if you paid to see your favorite comic/band/show and some ass clown ruins everything with some petty insults.[/quote]

I take it you didn't notice how quickly Mencia's own audience turned on him?

No, watching him get his ass chewed out is way better than a bunch of "beaner" jokes. A majority of comedians hate him for the stuff he's done but can't stand up to him cause of the fame his retarded show has given him.

If Dave Chapelle didn't skate out on comedy central then Carlos wouldn't have been pushed so damn hard and would have been gone after one season.

[quote name='thespillcanvas']QFT.

I take it you didn't notice how quickly Mencia's own audience turned on him?[/quote]

You guys seem to be missing what i am saying. I dont care about mencia or rogan that much, it just pisses me off when people feel to need to make their "statement" in the middle of something i paid for.

I am more of the guy who just wants to watch a show and then go home....i dont want to go out to a show pay money and then have some douche bag try to push his shitty ass agenda on me when i am just trying to have a good time.

This reminds be of religious people..and how they always make it a point to interupt everyones fun with stuff that no one cares about or at least not at the time. I just want to watch the parade not listen to your baby fetish abortion scare tactics. (Happend in Detroit...fucking douche bags)

Its the principle of the situation.

[quote name='Soodmeg']

This reminds be of religious people..and how they always make it a point to interupt everyones fun with stuff that no one cares about or at least not at the time. I just want to watch the parade not listen to your baby fetish abortion scare tactics. (Happend in Detroit...fucking douche bags)

Its the principle of the situation.[/QUOTE]

Actually, this is more like someone busting someone for lip-synching a song, or something like that. If I was at a show I would love to know if this guy's material is actually his. I would be pissed if I was hearing someone steal someone else's shit. Joe Rogan didn't some good stuff there.

joe rogan is the fuckin man. i always knew mencina was a lame comedian and id heard rumors before about his beef with george lopez but to finally see it all in one video was awesome. and the whole hey im not a mexican but ill pretend to be one on tv is pretty fuckin lame. i guess theres not too many jokes you can do when youre german so hey if you look like another race lets throw in a fake accent and put on a front. brilliant. and im not surprised pauly shore would back carlos mencina hes got as much talent and originality as that guy does and hes only famous because of his mothers comedy shop and somehow lightening struck and he got famous on mtv which i still dont understand how that happened.

[quote name='munch']Actually, this is more like someone busting someone for lip-synching a song, or something like that. If I was at a show I would love to know if this guy's material is actually his. I would be pissed if I was hearing someone steal someone else's shit. Joe Rogan didn't some good stuff there.[/quote]

Thats a good point and i could see it that way also. That still just seems like something i would much rather read about then actualy pay to see.

[quote name='Soodmeg']You guys seem to be missing what i am saying. I dont care about mencia or rogan that much, it just pisses me off when people feel to need to make their "statement" in the middle of something i paid for.

I am more of the guy who just wants to watch a show and then go home....i dont want to go out to a show pay money and then have some douche bag try to push his shitty ass agenda on me when i am just trying to have a good time.

Its the principle of the situation.[/quote]

yeah but joe rogan has a point man. you bust your ass to come up with original material for your comedy spots ( some of it coming from your own life and experiences) and you do the work to make it to the top or at least to eak out a decent living and then someone comes along pretending to be soemthign hes not and makes joekes about being a mexican when he isnt and then beyond that takes other peoples jokes and uses them to quickly make it to the top.

if youve ever created anything you know how shitty it is to have someone just come along and take it and pretend its theirs.being a commedian isnt just some simple thign where you go on stage make a few observations or jokes and then say goodnihgt. it really takes alot to put together a decent set and then to keep it fresh and relevant. its not something everyone can do and unlike any other form of entertainment, music, movies, videogames ect comedians dont have copyrights to protect their material.

and if you see someone blatantly stealing jokes you made or your friends made and trying to pawn them off like their own of course you will get pissed off especially when they have the balls to lie about it. hell he even tried to lie about who he was and in a few minutes later he admits his name isnt really carlos.

stealing is stealing and if someone stole something from your or your family or friends wouldnt you want to call that person out?

Well as much as I don't love Mencia, Most of what Rogan tosses around can simply be described as parallel thinking.

[quote name='Soodmeg']You guys seem to be missing what i am saying. I dont care about mencia or rogan that much, it just pisses me off when people feel to need to make their "statement" in the middle of something i paid for.

Its the principle of the situation.[/QUOTE]Except, didn't Mencia Holness call Rogan out from the audience? Rogan dealt with a heckler in spectacular fashion (as he knew what a tard the guy was). Mencia Holness went in to cause a disturbance.

edit: correct naming.

"Do you think a Jewish guy came up that joke? It's a beaner joke."

What an ass.

I would have LOVED to be in that crowd. If your going to make money off of word play and personal experience (or an act... mimeing, puppetry, magical comedy, whatever) make sure its your fucking own.

I deal with wanna be comedians and real ones (Nice having a Second City in your town) all the time. I get mined for fucking jokes everytime certain people come in... and ive heard from friends in the local clubs that some get used.

Disclaimer: I'm no fucking comedian. I dont have the balls to stand on stage and rattle shit off. I'd love to, but frankly, I get enough of an audience being a "Bartender" of comics and I make regular money off of that.

I vote whiny bitch. He could have just incorporated Mencia's theviery into his act like ending all his jokes with "...steal that one menciafucker, " or something to that effect.

He acts like Mencia's the only one to steal jokes in the industry, or th eonly one to steal jokes from him. I'm sure if you scrutinized his own material you could find a plethora of plagerism. Comics steal from each other constantly, it's a part of the business. This guy just picked Carlos becuase he's an easy target and, probably, becuase it's an easy way to get some publicity for himself.

That's all well and good but....it's Joe Rogan.

And I love the people who choose to call someone by a name they've never been legally known as.

[quote name='bmulligan']I vote whiny bitch. He could have just incorporated Mencia's theviery into his act like ending all his jokes with "...steal that one menciafucker, " or something to that effect.

He acts like Mencia's the only one to steal jokes in the industry, or th eonly one to steal jokes from him. I'm sure if you scrutinized his own material you could find a plethora of plagerism. Comics steal from each other constantly, it's a part of the business. This guy just picked Carlos becuase he's an easy target and, probably, becuase it's an easy way to get some publicity for himself.[/quote]

:applause::applause::applause::applause:

See i truely dont understand what fuck the big deal is. Yeah it sucks to have someone steal something from you.....but guess what shit gets stolen all the time.

[quote name='lokizz'] stealing is stealing and if someone stole something from your or your family or friends wouldnt you want to call that person out?[/quote]
Its in every industary on the planet its not like comedy is the golden child of the world in which nothing bad should every happen.

There are a least one million artist in the world that have stolen at LEAST 10 things from Micheal Jackson from dance moves (his trade mark moonwalk was even stolen from some neighbor hood kids) to lyrics to the way he dresses no one bitches they just shrug their shoulders.

Apple and M$ steal shit from each other all the time to make their computers better....so does most video games.

Shit gets copied and pasted on everything....so all i can say is quit your bitchin.

[quote name='Soodmeg']:applause::applause::applause::applause:

See i truely dont understand what fuck the big deal is. Yeah it sucks to have someone steal something from you.....but guess what shit gets stolen all the time.

Its in every industary on the planet its not like comedy is the golden child of the world in which nothing bad should every happen.

There are a least one million artist in the world that have stolen at LEAST 10 things from Micheal Jackson from dance moves (his trade mark moonwalk was even stolen from some neighbor hood kids) to lyrics to the way he dresses no one bitches they just shrug their shoulders.

Apple and M$ steal shit from each other all the time to make their computers better....so does most video games.

Shit gets copied and pasted on everything....so all i can say is quit your bitchin.[/QUOTE]
I saw an interview with Jackie Mason about ten years ago where he said there was only 10 jokes in the world and all comedy was about was retelling the same joke with a different spin.

[quote name='SpeedyG']I saw an interview with Jackie Mason about ten years ago where he said there was only 10 jokes in the world and all comedy was about was retelling the same joke with a different spin.[/quote]

The problem comes when there's no spin, or personal attachment to it. If your going to steal it, make it your fucking own.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Didnt seem all that great to me.

fuck Rogan.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind having paid for this when you get to see this epic showdown

[quote name='SpottedNigel']The problem comes when there's no spin, or personal attachment to it. If your going to steal it, make it your fucking own.[/quote]
There you go....but they should be more of a preference than anything else.

No one should complain that he stole the jokes but more that he didnt spice up the orignal joke enough before telling it.

There for...go find a comic that steals shit in a fancy way.

Its funny how only in comdey is it refered to has "stealing" where as in every other industary its called "influenced by."

Just like Usher and Justin Timeberlake were influenced by Micheal Jackson.......

There are plenty of instances in which artists have sued over stolen or borrowed material. I remember Huey Lewis sued Ray Parker Jr. for his Ghostbusters song since it completely ripped off the melody from "I Want a New Drug."

David Bowie sued Vanilla Ice for using the hook from "Under Pressure" without permission.

So some artists don't just shrug it off. Some artists may feel that it isn't worth it or maybe that it is just a form of flattery, but some get pissed and do something about it.

Maybe stealing does happen, but that still doesn't make it right. Ari is Joe's friend and Joe was just calling Ned out about stealing his friend's shit.

I do agree that Rogan is doing this for his own reasons as well, but he is Joe Rogan, you gotta do what you gotta do.

[quote name='bmulligan']I vote whiny bitch. He could have just incorporated Mencia's theviery into his act like ending all his jokes with "...steal that one menciafucker, " or something to that effect.

He acts like Mencia's the only one to steal jokes in the industry, or th eonly one to steal jokes from him. I'm sure if you scrutinized his own material you could find a plethora of plagerism. Comics steal from each other constantly, it's a part of the business. This guy just picked Carlos becuase he's an easy target and, probably, becuase it's an easy way to get some publicity for himself.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, he evidently has confronted Dane Cook about it as well.

Now, it only makes sense that you confront the successful ones. The failed comedians aren't (1) a threat to you, and (2) stole your bad jokes, presumably. The age we live in is TV, film, and internet-based. A joke isn't "someone's" until the first person is seen widely telling it on one of those formats (and TV matters more, IMO). I doubt very few people know who "The Amazing Racist" is (that Ari cat who Rogan brought out onstage), except the few internet-savvy types.

Now, I agree with Cochese - the only point where I disagreed with Rogan was when he declared himself a "comedian." (AFAIK, he's the cat who hosted "Fear Factor" and provides commentary on UFC shows). He was dead fucking on, however, when heckling Bobby Lee for giving up and meekly slithering away when it became clear that Rogan was bringing up the topic of comedians stealing other jokes. Comedians bitch about it incessantly, yet nothing gets done. I'd much prefer this kind of internal cleansing, this self-policing. Let the quality comedians come out and tell their jokes.

We'd have never even heard of Denis Leary, and Bill Hicks would be regarded as a fucking GOD.

SpeedyG, it comes as no surprise to me that Jackie Mason knows fewer than 11 jokes. :lol:

So outside of some video with the year transposed on it, is there any proof that Mencia wasn't using that particular joke before the other dude used it?

Not that I really care though, seeing as how they both blow.

[quote name='mykevermin']To be fair, he evidently has confronted Dane Cook about it as well.

Now, it only makes sense that you confront the successful ones. The failed comedians aren't (1) a threat to you, and (2) stole your bad jokes, presumably. The age we live in is TV, film, and internet-based. A joke isn't "someone's" until the first person is seen widely telling it on one of those formats (and TV matters more, IMO). I doubt very few people know who "The Amazing Racist" is (that Ari cat who Rogan brought out onstage), except the few internet-savvy types.

Now, I agree with Cochese - the only point where I disagreed with Rogan was when he declared himself a "comedian." (AFAIK, he's the cat who hosted "Fear Factor" and provides commentary on UFC shows). He was dead fucking on, however, when heckling Bobby Lee for giving up and meekly slithering away when it became clear that Rogan was bringing up the topic of comedians stealing other jokes. Comedians bitch about it incessantly, yet nothing gets done. I'd much prefer this kind of internal cleansing, this self-policing. Let the quality comedians come out and tell their jokes.

We'd have never even heard of Denis Leary, and Bill Hicks would be regarded as a fucking GOD.

SpeedyG, it comes as no surprise to me that Jackie Mason knows fewer than 11 jokes. :lol:[/QUOTE]
I was wondering how much longer before Dane Cook got brought up. I'd be hard pressed to say that Mencia steals jokes in so much as any examples seem like two people coming up with the same idea. Cook... ehh he's stolen enitre bits word for word.

Now an argument could be made that he lifetd the style of his act from George Lopez much as Leary did from Hicks. But you could also say that Lopez lifted his from any of a dozen hispanic comedians before him. Or that Chris Rock lifted his from Redd Foxx.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']At the end of the day, he's still Joe Rogan and not funny.[/QUOTE]Unless compared to Holness. He is correct, though, and that's important.

if something i'd put effort into making was stolen, it'd be completely ridiculous to say "well, it happens all the time. might as well let it go." material theft is widespread because people just dismiss it when they hear about it, and it seems to be dismissed BECAUSE it's widespread. there's no logic in that.

[quote name='jmcc']Unless compared to Holness. He is correct, though, and that's important.[/QUOTE]

As much as you may not like Mencia, Holness is not his legal name. Never has been.

Joe Rogan is a whiny little bitch. He was on a morning show here in Vegas around two years ago and the guy did nothing but whine about people stealing jokes. He spent the rest of the interview ripping anyone and anything trying to be funny but he wasn't.

[quote name='Shmitty']if something i'd put effort into making was stolen, it'd be completely ridiculous to say "well, it happens all the time. might as well let it go." material theft is widespread because people just dismiss it when they hear about it, and it seems to be dismissed BECAUSE it's widespread. there's no logic in that.[/quote]

Are you going to spend your entire life trying to fight joke theft? NO! You would waste your entire career trying to prevent people from stealing your jokes.

No one can really ever prove that its your joke in the first place.....its a lose lose lose battle.

What do you suggest huh? Whats your all mighty plan to stop people from speaking words into a mic?

You kind of remind me of the RIAA...trying to stop each and every downloader from here to mexico even though its worthless to even try. For ever one person you stop there are 13438939843 million more springing up. With no real way to prove anything more than just two kids screaming "ITS MY JOKE....NO ITS MY JOKE" to go on as evidence.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Are you going to spend your entire life trying to fight joke theft? NO! You would waste your entire career trying to prevent people from stealing your jokes.

No one can really ever prove that its your joke in the first place.....its a lose lose lose battle.

What do you suggest huh? Whats your all mighty plan to stop people from speaking words into a mic?

You kind of remind me of the RIAA...trying to stop each and every downloader from here to mexico even though its worthless to even try. For ever one person you stop there are 13438939843 million more springing up. With no real way to prove anything more than just two kids screaming "ITS MY JOKE....NO ITS MY JOKE" to go on as evidence.[/QUOTE]Post your home address. I wish to burgle you, since you're cool with it.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']As much as you may not like Mencia, Holness is not his legal name. Never has been.[/QUOTE]His name is Ned. His father's surname is Holness. He can call himself whatever he wants, but he's Ned Holness.

[quote name='jmcc']His name is Ned. His father's surname is Holness. He can call himself whatever he wants, but he's Ned Holness.[/QUOTE]

His birth certificate says Mencia. Fathers have next to zero parental rights here, you think they have more in Honduras?

Why speak out about people stealing material you whiny bitch, it's not like it's illegal or immoral to steal and the entire foundation of comedy and any other art is the formation of original ideas.

Jesus, people are so jaded they accept that if something happens often enough it makes it right and anybody that says anything about it is whining. No wonder it's so hard to change anything.

[quote name='jmcc']Post your home address. I wish to burgle you, since you're cool with it.[/quote]

Man....straight out of the RIAA handbook. How to look like an ass: page 124.

Yeah words are not tangible bucko. You cant go to the polic and say..."Hey that guy spoke my catch phrase arrest him now good sir."

Though it can be done but its very very hard to prove that someone stole something you can not physically touch, see, or smell.

Try again.
[quote name='SpazX']Why speak out about people stealing material you whiny bitch, it's not like it's illegal or immoral to steal and the entire foundation of comedy and any other art is the formation of original ideas.

Jesus, people are so jaded they accept that if something happens often enough it makes it right and anybody that says anything about it is whining. No wonder it's so hard to change anything.[/quote]
No one is say its not god damn immoral or illegal the bottom line is HOW THE fuck ARE YOU GOING TO fuckING PROVE IT? You cant, so give it a god damn break. Gas prices shouldnt go from a $1.80 to $3.00 all in the same week but it does...and there is nothing you can do to stop it but bitch and complain which has proven over and over not to work.

They know this going into that career..that what ever they make can be taken from them because there is no real way to prove they have ownership of it. Again...its sucks but no one is forcing them to be comics. They choose that life style and people stealing jokes is part of it.

So SpazX whats your master fucking plan to stop people from speaking words into a mic? No seems to ever want to answer that question.

bread's done
Back