Don't Feed the Fanboys--Tell the Whole Story

AwRy108

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen...

Nothing personal, but please don't ruin your netcast by sharing incomplete facts or partial stories. As you stated in CAGcast #63, in EGM's massive one-on-one interview with Mr. Jack Tretton (issue #213), Mr. Tretton definitely did say: "If you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you $1,200 for it."

HOWEVER, if you would've *GASP* read the entire article, EGM notes that the actual interview takes place in early January--in this case, Mr. Tretton's statement was most likely still factual.

I'm not defending Sony and/or its arrogant board of directors, but I am tired of every news site and media outlet digging, clawing, and scratching for ways to put a negative spin on everything related to Sony. Sony and its consoles have undeniably provided the gaming community with some of the best and biggest software libraries in history, and have actually managed to "make it cool" to be a gamer; in other words, while I'm as unsure about the Sony PS3 as everyone else is, I still find it embarassing how quickly my fellow gamers are to trash Sony at every turn, especially since many of these nay-sayers probably owe some of their fondest gaming memores to the PSOne and PS2.

Anyways, sorry for the rant--I just needed to get that off of my chest. You guys are, by far, one of the most neutral netcasts on the web, so keep up the great work and keep the unbiased audio coming!

I dont remember that clearly, but I believe the accumulation of PS3s on shelves may have started while it was still 2006.

It was at least the case with the Frys here, who received 40 shortly before Christmas. It took them roughly 3 weeks to sell them all, as I recall, though they were still bundling them at the time.

At best, it still wouldve been an exaggeration of the situation, despite it being January.

[quote name='AwRy108']Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen...

Nothing personal, but please don't ruin your netcast by sharing incomplete facts or partial stories. As you stated in CAGcast #63, in EGM's massive one-on-one interview with Mr. Jack Tretton (issue #213), Mr. Tretton definitely did say: "If you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you $1,200 for it."

HOWEVER, if you would've *GASP* read the entire article, EGM notes that the actual interview takes place in early January--in this case, Mr. Tretton's statement was most likely still factual.

I'm not defending Sony and/or its arrogant board of directors, but I am tired of every news site and media outlet digging, clawing, and scratching for ways to put a negative spin on everything related to Sony. Sony and its consoles have undeniably provided the gaming community with some of the best and biggest software libraries in history, and have actually managed to "make it cool" to be a gamer; in other words, while I'm as unsure about the Sony PS3 as everyone else is, I still find it embarassing how quickly my fellow gamers are to trash Sony at every turn, especially since many of these nay-sayers probably owe some of their fondest gaming memores to the PSOne and PS2.

Anyways, sorry for the rant--I just needed to get that off of my chest. You guys are, by far, one of the most neutral netcasts on the web, so keep up the great work and keep the unbiased audio coming![/QUOTE]

There are several threads on this site as early as the first week in January where people reported seeing PS3's sitting on store shelves. I don't think Cheapy and Wombat were really omitting anything by leaving that note about the interview date out.

It was during christmas and right after that there was still an accumlation. The interview happening in January makes no difference because it was as wrong then (with several reports from several people on the board), as it is now.

Even in the interview, EGM tells the idiot that 9 out of 18 stores they called prior to the interview had PS3s in stock, with as many as 20 units.

This thread fails.

Yes, I'm pretty sure EGM itself put that note in there to show how full of BS that guy was. Thus, this thread truly does fail.

My store had three PS3's (2 60gb 1 20gb) on the shelf from December 18th until December 27th. No one bought it even at Christmas.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I dont remember that clearly, but I believe the accumulation of PS3s on shelves may have started while it was still 2006.

It was at least the case with the Frys here, who received 40 shortly before Christmas. It took them roughly 3 weeks to sell them all, as I recall, though they were still bundling them at the time.

At best, it still wouldve been an exaggeration of the situation, despite it being January.[/quote]
Fry's forced bundles on potential PS3 buyers back then, making the already high entry fee even more outrageous.

The BB I work at still sells out of them. Granted it takes a few days, but they are still moving faster than what everyone else is saying. You have to remember that just because you see some systems when passing through a store it doesnt mean they are not selling. If you go into Walmart once a week and see them everytime, the chances are slim that its actually the same system. I wouldnt be surprised if this month the PS3 outsells the Wii, just because stores are actually getting shipments of PS3s.

Agreed with Shipwreck, leaving the date out doesn't really affect the general message, and it certainly wasn't something done intentionally to cloud the facts.

[quote name='rodeojones903']The BB I work at still sells out of them. Granted it takes a few days, but they are still moving faster than what everyone else is saying. You have to remember that just because you see some systems when passing through a store it doesnt mean they are not selling. If you go into Walmart once a week and see them everytime, the chances are slim that its actually the same system. I wouldnt be surprised if this month the PS3 outsells the Wii, just because stores are actually getting shipments of PS3s.[/QUOTE]

It's pretty easy to stand there for five minutes to confirm it though, as per Mr. Tretton's initial statement. Heck, if you go more than once per week, you're probably looking at the same units, based on how often shipments come in. Do they sell eventually? Probably. But that's not what's being debated.

[quote name='AwRy108']Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen...

Anyways, sorry for the rant--I just needed to get that off of my chest. You guys are, by far, one of the most neutral netcasts on the web, so keep up the great work and keep the unbiased audio coming!

/end Sony fanboy rant[/QUOTE]

edited

Hear ye, hear ye!
I hereby declare the OP
pzone.jpg
'd

[quote name='AwRy108']
I'm not defending Sony and/or its arrogant board of directors, but I am tired of every news site and media outlet digging, clawing, and scratching for ways to put a negative spin on everything related to Sony.[/quote]
So you're pissed at the media and gamming community because Sony can't keep its act together?:whistle2:k

[quote name='sonderiaom']Calzone'd... took me a second there.[/QUOTE]
Long way: Not exactly, look at the company logo present in the picture, then think back to any calzone related promotions said company has put out in the past few years.

Short way:
Right Click on the image->Properties

[quote name='shipwreck']There are several threads on this site as early as the first week in January where people reported seeing PS3's sitting on store shelves. I don't think Cheapy and Wombat were really omitting anything by leaving that note about the interview date out.[/QUOTE]

When was that picture posted of the Best Buy with a wall of PS3s on their floor posted? I'm pretty sure that was still in 2006, so like you said, the precise doesn't really matter unless the interview had happened on Nov. 20, 2006.

Also, if you listen to the EGM podcast where they discuss the interview Shoe explains that he was completely taken off guard with that statement because of the sheer craziness of it (since at the time of the interview PS3s were not hard to find in-store) and that Tretton was completely out of touch with what was really happening if he believed that.

OP, when you're going to title a post as "Tell the whole story", make sure to do so yourself - like, as many have mentioned, that PS3s have been on shelves for a long time, and that they weren't selling for $1200 on eBay at the time of the interview.

[quote name='javeryh']Also, if you listen to the EGM podcast where they discuss the interview Shoe explains that he was completely taken off guard with that statement because of the sheer craziness of it (since at the time of the interview PS3s were not hard to find in-store) and that Tretton was completely out of touch with what was really happening if he believed that.[/quote]

Exactly, I believe what happened was Shoe couldn't call the stores at the time Tretton made the claim. Later, after the interview, Shoe called the stores and found them available and got in contact with Tretton to ask him that question. At least that's what I thought happened.

The "fanboys" thing I agree with; it's nonsense that people in February (when the interview was put online) were saying "I JUST SAW 5 PS3s IN STOCK, WHERE DO I SEND MY BILL" since the article clearly stated it took place in early January of '07.

However, as many here have pointed out, they were certainly available before then - readily available in some cases, so, yes, Tretton was full of shit.

Make no mistake, I fucking hate EGM and have detailed why in the past, but the newest issue has a few examples of decent game journalism that make me wonder if they're just not trying most of the time. The follow-up with Peter Moore (from last year's "CONTROVERSIAL" interview) next month will be pretty telling if this is a new trend or if they fall back on the same tired bullshit.

Even back that early in January, the Target I work at ha had plenty of PS3's just sitting around waiting to be sold. It still took a week or so before we would have to get more from the back room, where we had another dozen or so still in the shipping boxes.

Also, if you listen to the EGM podcast where they discuss the interview Shoe explains that he was completely taken off guard with that statement because of the sheer craziness of it (since at the time of the interview PS3s were not hard to find in-store) and that Tretton was completely out of touch with what was really happening if he believed that.

But does Tretton (and people in his sort of position) say such things because they're out of touch or because they're just creating doubt through disinformation*, while boosting morale of the fanfu--err, 'loyalists'--who want to believe, and getting tons of gaming media coverage in the process? I'm of the mind that he knew exactly what he was doing, as we're still talking about this today, well over a week after it broke.

*--He's probably saying that for the newsstand readers, who aren't paying close attention, who might be pushed off of the proverbial purchasing fence by this sort of bold claim.

[quote name='KaneRobot']the newest issue has a few examples of decent game journalism that make me wonder if they're just not trying most of the time.[/QUOTE]

Truth be told, I tend to skim through the issue, read the rumors and reviews, and toss it in the recycle bin. This month, I came across the use of "anal raped" in some article (in the all-too-often-overused manner that gamers use to suggest the high cost of something). I don't have an opinion about EGM one way or another, but the flippant use of such a phrase is sure damned off-putting to my PC sensibilities (and it's really lazy prose, too).

Yes, OP, people are looking back and piecing together a narrative explaining why the PS3 and Sony stink (don't forget the PSP and it's zero games!). It's an absurd sort of brand-allegiance (which, if I had one, I'd do so under the auspices of being paid to do so only) and 20/20 hindsight. This idea that the Wii had all these amazing games at launch (which often comes, when pressed, with the caveat that it was really only Zelda, a game that's no different than Ubisoft's recycling of old games with slapped-on wii controls) is phony, and that the 360 is a perfect system is equally foolish.

I take issue with the "PS3 is so freakin' expensive and it sucks!" crowd, but I also don't take them seriously because damn near all of them will own a PS3 by this time next year. Nevertheless, the problem lies with Sony's PR maneuvers, including letting this guy talk.

Is the PS3 still in high demand? Yes. Contrary to what people want to think, the system is selling. They are not collecting dust on the shelves.

Is it in such high demand that they can't stay on the shelves for 5 minutes? Don't be a fool. Of course not. That's Jack Tretton's problem; he took one truism (there is high demand for the PS3) and made it into a silly exaggeration that took the form of a strawman (they don't last for five minutes). It's not a problem in reality, or in the system's sales - it's a PR nightmare because the spin was so off-the-charts wrong and easily deconstructable.

He oughta take Tony Snow's place if he's gonna be such a bullshitter. :lol:

Ultimately it's much ado about nothing, and it matters because it's a Sony guy saying it. People who disfavor the PS3 have found yet another piece of treasure helping complete their case that Sony is clueless (all the while ignoring the good things about the PS3, and the fact that it is selling). People who enjoy their PS3 have to cringe at such a damnfool statement, at any rate, because it's the sort of statement that reinforces the "Sony are out of touch" narrative we keep hearing about.

[quote name='sonderiaom']Calzone'd... took me a second there.[/QUOTE]
You mean calzOWNED.

And OP, how ironic that you are asking them to tell the whole story, when you yourself leave out the key part: EGM mentioned that prior to the interview, they called up tons of stores and tons of them had PS3s in stock.

bread's done
Back