Advent Rising (XBOX) - $6.90 at GoGamer.com

Karyyk

CAGiversary!
Advent Rising (XBOX) for $6.90

http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=8865494&extid=90021407

I know this game was panned by a good many reviewers, but I picked it up and loved it (enough to be extremely disappointed by the fact that the trilogy will never be finished). The game engine has some problems, but it's still fun, and the story is quite good (as it should be, since it was penned by Orson Scott Card, the author of Ender's Game, Ultimate Iron Man and many others). It also gets my vote for the best use of Force powers in a non-Star Wars game. Pick it up...for $6.90 you can't really go wrong.

Like Karyyk said - this game has some problems, definetely, but its still a great game. I have to say if i had to compare it to another game, i would say "what i expected halo2 single player to be like". And thats a good thing.

I read that Card did not write the story, but "assist" some other guys. Just so they could use his name. That was awhile ago, so I don't know if that's true or not.

[quote name='Jobb']Just note that the game isn't BC...[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's more important to have Barbie BC than games people actually care about.

And I think AR is an awesome game. The glitches/slowdown doesn't break the game as reviews might make you think. Very awesome game and worth the $6.90 without a doubt.

I stand corrected. While Card did not come up with the story (or at least all of it), after some digging I found out that he did write the dialogue and screenplay...

If you don't want to pay the $8 shipping that gogamer charges, I saw this at Fry's today for $10. If it's a pretty good game like some of you'll are saying, I might have to go back and pick it up.

[quote name='Whambamm']If you don't want to pay the $8 shipping that gogamer charges, I saw this at Fry's today for $10. If it's a pretty good game like some of you'll are saying, I might have to go back and pick it up.[/QUOTE]
Shipping is $2.59

If you find it at a KMART, it should be under $6 (unless it was pennied out and has been returned to 14.99). Definitely worth checking out if you have a KMART near you, this one was at every KMART I hit.

This game was awesome. Major slow-down at points, but a great game and a nice story. Wish they would have finished the trilogy. And I loved Tallarico's score for the music, too. I have no idea why critics almost universally hated this game. I think it was just a fad to hate this game. Everyone who played it seemed to like it pretty well. Not Halo, but certainly not Brute Force either.

[quote name='smitboy']This game was awesome. Major slow-down at points, but a great game and a nice story. Wish they would have finished the trilogy. And I loved Tallarico's score for the music, too. I have no idea why critics almost universally hated this game. I think it was just a fad to hate this game. Everyone who played it seemed to like it pretty well. Not Halo, but certainly not Brute Force either.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I agree about the music. I liked it so much I ended up buying the soundtrack, and I'm not one that listens to very much music at all, but I just had to have it.

I think the major problem I had with this game was the poor organization/storyboarding. The cutscenes didn't always lead into the action, and some of the objectives weren't laid out clearly for the player.

Still, it's one of the better action games I've played, mostly because of the psychic skills. It kinda reminds me of P.N.03 in a way.

It does also have a few bugs, though, so be aware and save often.

I couldn't tell you much about the X-box version, but even patched I had some trouble with the PC version. It crashed a couple of times along the way, but the crashes seemed to be linked to the autosave feature, so I could just start the game up again where I left off, no problem.

Just make sure you have a joystick. You don't want to mess with the "flick targeting" system in this game unless you have a joystick.

[Edit]: Uh, by joystick, I of course mean gamepad.

Not sure how this compares to GS & EB's used price (I remember I picked it up in November for around $8 or so), but anything under $10 is a great price for Advent Rising.
If you haven't played this game, buy it. It's unrefined, but if you can get beyond it being rather rough around the edges you'll find a great game awaiting you.

So, this is another game in the vein of Psi-Ops(excellent game, imo) and Second Sight? I've seen it at multiple KMarts by me, but heard it had some problems, so I didn't pick it up.

If I can find it at a Kmart for the right price(IE it's not pennied out or back up to over $4-5), then I think I'll pick it up and add it to my ever growing list of last gen titles to complete.

I would hesitate to put it in with psiops/second sight. It has some powers similar to those titles, but the whole scope feels bigger in Advent Rising.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So, this is another game in the vein of Psi-Ops(excellent game, imo) and Second Sight? I've seen it at multiple KMarts by me, but heard it had some problems, so I didn't pick it up.

The general consensus is that it was a really ambitious game with a great story line, but was rushed to retail so it could be buried in the "holiday rush" (why do publishers always do this?), and as such had many flaws and bugs in the game engine. Many described it as a Beta in retail packaging. Still, for $6.90, it's probably worth a shot - if your XBOX 1 still works.

[quote name='whoknows']Yeah, it's more important to have Barbie BC than games people actually care about.

Barbie and other games share similar code, so when they port a game people do want (in this case Grand Theft Auto - I'm not joking) they also port the games that use the same engine with little or no effort.

Shame this isn't BC.

bread's done
Back