RAM

Flashmonkey

CAGiversary!
I have an AMD 64 3200+ running with 512MB RAM now. This isn't fast enough for my gaming needs and i was wondering 3 things. How i find out compatibility for RAM types, what kind of RAM to use and the speed of the RAM to use.

If a 3200+ with 512 MB isn't performing well you aren't likely to see great improvement from additional RAM unless your current RAM is the slowest possible with that board. This really points to the one vital component you didn't specify, your video card.

i think i have a 128MB nvidia geforce fx. im not positive because i am posting this from school and cant check my computers specs right now. i'll confirm this later today. this is my best guess for now so could you please give me info on what to do.

its best if you match them up so find out what you have now the speed type and make and get the same. If its too slow for ya then get 1 gig stick and take out the 512 one but whatever is better for you.

[quote name='Flashmonkey']i think i have a 128MB nvidia geforce fx. im not positive because i am posting this from school and cant check my computers specs right now. i'll confirm this later today. this is my best guess for now so could you please give me info on what to do.[/quote]

THis can be any of several cards. The low-end model, the 5200, brought DirectX 9 support to the sub-$100 market but just doesn't deliver the polygon counts newer games demand, albeit the polygons it does deliver are very pretty.

i have a 128MB nvidia geforce fx 5200, 512MB ram, and my bios says i have an american megatrends motherboard. what do you recommend me upgrade?

go to

start
run
in the run box type "dxdiag" with out the quotes
look @ that page and tell us the exact specs you are using

edit: Also, what games are you trying to play right now. If itsshit like Doom 3 you will not be able to get a really good frame rate with any sort of bumped up visuals with that configuation.

Ram might help but a new video card would help evem more (that is unless you are using sdram)

yea, i posted another topic about halo framerates, and it looks like everyone there has pretty much the same specs as me, if not worse, except for the video card. ima go looking for a radeon 9600 now, anyone wanna sell theirs?

whats the difference between the XT and the regular 9600? should i go with the 128mb 9600 XT or the 256mb 9600? or even the 9800 128mb?

[quote name='drunken_master']if you would be willing, there is an ebay auction that i just realized that i would not be able to pay for. It is a 9600 256. my max bid is 66 so 67 will win it. there is only 3 hours left on it so if you could do that i would be greatful. It retalles fr around 100 online so it is a good deal too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5123988505&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT[/quote]

HA. HA. HA. That's hilarious! :twisted: You really shouln't bid on things if you don't have the money. :?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge'][quote name='drunken_master']if you would be willing, there is an ebay auction that i just realized that i would not be able to pay for. It is a 9600 256. my max bid is 66 so 67 will win it. there is only 3 hours left on it so if you could do that i would be greatful. It retalles fr around 100 online so it is a good deal too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5123988505&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT[/quote]

HA. HA. HA. That's hilarious! :twisted: You really shouln't bid on things if you don't have the money. :?[/quote]

My car broke down yesturday. I had to drain my bank account and barrow money from my mom to fix it. But thanx for your comment you little troll

bread's done
Back